RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sweet 16 Game Notes from Her Hoop Stats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Her Hoop Stats

PostPosted: 03/23/18 10:33 am    ::: Sweet 16 Game Notes from Her Hoop Stats Reply Reply with quote

All,

Hello, this is Aaron Barzilai, the founder of https://herhoopstats.com/. I hope you've enjoyed our efforts this year, we have a lot of plans for improvements.

With the Sweet 16 about to begin, I thought you might be interested in reading the Game Notes we've produced on each matchup. The PDF is free for all and we're hoping you'll find it valuable. It's meant to be a supplement to other materials you may have already reviewed. We've shared it with coaches, SIDs, broadcasters, journalists, and more. I thought some of you might enjoy it as well.

If you do think it's valuable, please share it with whoever you'd like on and off the boards. My hope is that the document would be read by as many members of the women's basketball community as possible.

Also, I'll be monitoring this post but feel free to email me directly at aaronbarzilai@herhoopstats.com if you have any feedback or questions about this document or the site in general. I had hoped to be more active on RebKell this year but have found working on building and enhancing the site to take up more time than I expected.

Thanks,
Aaron

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/18 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very nice. I'm unable to subscribe to pay sites, however, being on a fixed income.

PostPosted: 03/23/18 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's good stuff

PostPosted: 03/23/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations on computing the tempo neutral scoring statistic that I call Point Margin Per Possession. Coincidentally, I just emailed NatStat the other day encouraging them to offer this very statistic, which I approximated in another thread here. Well, you've already done it, by multiplying PMPP by 100, and are ahead of the competition in this area.

But can we access more than 20 teams in the Point Margin Per 100 Possessions list?

https://herhoopstats.com/leaderboard/team/net_pts_per_100_poss/2018
Her Hoop Stats

PostPosted: 03/23/18 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the early replies. We have tried to price it at a number that is affordable for most in the women's basketball community ($20 per year), but know that:

• There's more to basketball than the numbers, it's not for everyone
  • Not everyone has the ability to pay for it

We are putting content on social media (Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) if you are interested in stats that we offer, feel free to follow us there. Also, if you know others that might be interested, please spread the word.

Thanks,
Aaron

pilight

PostPosted: 03/23/18 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
But can we access more than 20 teams in the Point Margin Per 100 Possessions list?

As it says at the top of the list: "Please login or signup to view all data"

PostPosted: 03/23/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sweet 16 notes mention Haley Gorecki even though she won’t be playing in the Sweet 16. What’s the point?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/23/18 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Samuelson ranks 43rd in 2P% shooting 61% and 12th in 3P% hitting 47%"

Are you using any filters to screen out low-attempt players in the shooting and other personal stats? For example, your 3FG% filter can't be the same as the official NCAA filter, because the NCAA currently has Samuelson second in 3FG% not 12th.
Her Hoop Stats

PostPosted: 03/23/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We are using slightly different filters to be a little more inclusive. In the future we plan to have a search feature to let you set your own.

GlennMacGrady wrote:
"Samuelson ranks 43rd in 2P% shooting 61% and 12th in 3P% hitting 47%"

Are you using any filters to screen out low-attempt players in the shooting and other personal stats? For example, your 3FG% filter can't be the same as the official NCAA filter, because the NCAA currently has Samuelson second in 3FG% not 12th.

Thanks,
Aaron

Her Hoop Stats

PostPosted: 03/23/18 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for flagging that, missed that in the editing. Any other suggestions/errors you noticed?

One thing I will say is we know we are not watching each team as closely as their fans. Ultimately I hope that the site will be a tool for you and the other devoted fans that is a part of your conversations about the game. We can't possibly drive the discussion on all 349 teams, I'm looking forward to the day when a large number of people use the site on their own to identify interesting insights. It will be much more effective than what we are doing currently.

Shades wrote:
The Sweet 16 notes mention Haley Gorecki even though she won’t be playing in the Sweet 16. What’s the point?

Her Hoop Stats

PostPosted: 03/23/18 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As pilight mentioned, we have a good deal of the content available for free with full access costing $20 per year. There is a leaderboard page as well for more information. You can click on links for teams and players to see their pages.

We are charging for use of the site to enable us to invest our time on improving it, we can't afford to continue working on it for free. To make it clear what you get for subscribing, we show all the data that is available with a "login" button replacing the numbers in some cases. The goal is to make it very concrete what you're getting if you choose to subscribe.

Also, you may find the sight works better for you if you narrow your window so it is half the width of your desktop (e.g. have two windows side by side). This "portrait mode" view is what you see on your phone as well. I prefer it to the "landscape mode" we currently have as the default on desktop.

Thanks,
Aaron

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Congratulations on computing the tempo neutral scoring statistic that I call Point Margin Per Possession. Coincidentally, I just emailed NatStat the other day encouraging them to offer this very statistic, which I approximated in another thread here. Well, you've already done it, by multiplying PMPP by 100, and are ahead of the competition in this area.

https://herhoopstats.com/leaderboard/team/net_pts_per_100_poss/2018

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/23/18 12:14 pm    ::: Re: Sweet 16 Game Notes from Her Hoop Stats Reply Reply with quote

Her Hoop Stats wrote:
Hello, this is Aaron Barzilai, the founder of https://herhoopstats.com/. I hope you've enjoyed our efforts this year, we have a lot of plans for improvements.

Aaron:

Great work! I really enjoy your site, and I appreciate your commitment to making it even better!

Her Hoop Stats

PostPosted: 03/23/18 1:58 pm    ::: Re: Sweet 16 Game Notes from Her Hoop Stats Reply Reply with quote

Thanks!

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Her Hoop Stats wrote:

Aaron:

Great work! I really enjoy your site, and I appreciate your commitment to making it even better!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: