RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WBB coverage and the sports media conundrum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 03/22/18 12:41 pm    ::: WBB coverage and the sports media conundrum Reply Reply with quote

https://www.bluestarmedia.org/womens-basketball-coverage-and-the-sports-media-conundrum/

Quote:
Women’s basketball does not have a mass audience, and it is a fallacy to think if there was more coverage, there would automatically be more interest. It simply does not work this way. Unlike coaches, “hot take” artists and others, I have actually put this theory to the test, and it’s not as easy as that.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/22/18 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great piece by Wendy ... when I started Full Court Press (new ownership got in a squabble and it no longer exists, sadly) in 1996, women's basketball was in its early adolescence and media coverage was pretty much non-existent above the high school level.

Now it's on ESPN, etc., etc., and you can watch women's basketball games on TV or on-line pretty much the entire season.

Is it where we hoped or wanted it to be back in '96? Not at all. But how does it compare to '92? Those of you who can remember can answer that one ...

PostPosted: 03/22/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Great piece by Wendy ... when I started Full Court Press (new ownership got in a squabble and it no longer exists, sadly) in 1996, women's basketball was in its early adolescence and media coverage was pretty much non-existent above the high school level.

Now it's on ESPN, etc., etc., and you can watch women's basketball games on TV or on-line pretty much the entire season.

Is it where we hoped or wanted it to be back in '96? Not at all. But how does it compare to '92? Those of you who can remember can answer that one ...

Back in 1993, the women's NCAAT had the teams playing the Final Four games on Saturday and the championship game on Sunday, with no day off in-between. Granted, it made for a great game (Swoopes had 47 as Texas Tech beat Ohio State, 84-82, as I recall), but not even allowing the women's players to have a day off was ridiculous when compared to the men.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 03/22/18 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Might have to dust off some of my old Full Court Press columns.

}:>)

More importantly, happy almost your birthday Clay!!!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/22/18 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Might have to dust off some of my old Full Court Press columns.

Speaking of, are my Full Court Press one-on-interviews available anywhere online?

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/23/18 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great question ... I looked in my archives and found some old interviews and columns. There are, however, a lot of them, and going through one by one would be a big task. Maybe this summer ...

Or if you remember some specific interviews you did, I can send them to you. Email me at claykallam@gmail.com (the fullcourt one has gone to that Great Internet in the Sky).

PostPosted: 03/23/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all may be able to pull some stuff via the Wayback Machine at web.archive.org.

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: