Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
On top of that, who wants a bench player who makes max salary and only plays one position?

Apparently the Lynx did that when they traded for Perkins.

There are always exceptions. Minnesota has been in ultra-win-now mode for awhile, trying to stretch out this current group of veterans. Perkins wasn't only backup, she was insurance against age. Also, Minnesota was willing to go with 11 players that year (and 10 at one point) in order to make the salary cap work. I doubt most other teams feel such urgency.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting piece on the Liberty getting evicted from MSG, Dolan selling the team and Dolan(MSG) not paying property taxes.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/03/21/liberty-fans-and-pols-fume-as-msg-exiles-team-to-westchester/

Quote:
For now, the odds of Dolan facing penalties for evicting the Liberty are about as high as the city choosing to evict Dolan from atop Penn Station when the arena’s special zoning permit expires in 2023 — which is to say, not altogether impossible, though not very likely. As Brandon puts it, “Their greed takes precedence, and once again we’re the ones who pay the price.”

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 03/21/18 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never Forget — Madison Square Garden Hasn’t Paid Property Taxes in Over 30 Years

Quote:
The City Council voted overwhelmingly in 2014 to ask the state legislature, which maintains jurisdiction over the city’s tax rules, to make the Garden pay up. But Albany has so far turned a deaf ear — before his conviction on federal fraud and extortion charges, state assembly leader Sheldon Silver was treated as a V.I.P. by Garden officials, who went so far as to place his daughter and one of his former top aides on the payroll. Cuomo has opposed repealing the tax break on the grounds that he hasn’t “heard any argument that’s convincing for eliminating that.”

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/21/18 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Interesting piece on the Liberty getting evicted from MSG, Dolan selling the team and Dolan(MSG) not paying property taxes.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/03/21/liberty-fans-and-pols-fume-as-msg-exiles-team-to-westchester/

Quote:
For now, the odds of Dolan facing penalties for evicting the Liberty are about as high as the city choosing to evict Dolan from atop Penn Station when the arena’s special zoning permit expires in 2023 — which is to say, not altogether impossible, though not very likely. As Brandon puts it, “Their greed takes precedence, and once again we’re the ones who pay the price.”

Thanks for posting this. Excellent piece. Though tough to read an article where three of the worst people imaginable are mentioned: Hideous Lord Jimmy, sexual harasser Isiah, and the equally awful Andrew Cuomo.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why I believe Chicago might be interested in the trade of Rodgers and #10 for #4 by J-Spoon

1. Rodgers fits in perfectly behind Quigley at the 2 spot as an unselfish 3 and D type of player.

2. Chicago will still have their choices of Wings at #3, having the second pick makes one a little more moveable.

3. Chicago needs a PF, trading down for Billings at #10 fits a bigger need, than drafting 2 of G. Williams, Deshield or Vivians and already having Copper on the roster.

4. With Coates playing in her first season, and two other possible rookies a vet like Rodgers might appeal to a coach who wants to both develop her team, while competing for a playoff spot now.

5. Also Rodgers is better than she was last season, so getting her and another first round player 6 spots lower that #4 seems pretty fair, especially if that lower draft pick fills a bigger need.

OTOH I could totally see Chicago not be interested but I don't think it is an unrealistic trade based on the circumstances of both teams.

And OTOOH I would rather trade Prince but no way does Prince go back to Chicago and she is even older than Rodgers.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/21/18 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point, I think only two or three teams make sense as trading partners for Rodgers. DC, Vegas and maybe Minnesota. I thought LA at one point but acquiring Cappie took care of their depth guard need. Minnesota just signed Wright but could certainly use a backup two guard with some offensive punch...who would probably be a good fit on a team with some good passers. DC has a question mark in Hill and Sugar is from the DC area. She'd probably be a good fit offensively on a team with several good 3 point shooters. But the only way I could see a trade between NY and DC would be Rodgers and 10 in exchange for 7. That way DC still would have a first rounder. Meanwhile, those 3 slots would likely ensure either Nurse or Vivians for NY, which unequivocally would fill a need. I know 3 spots don't seem like much, but Sugar's trade value isn't probably a whole lot greater than that.

And honestly, if we're drafting purely on the basis of getting a SF in body type, then the choice is probably Vivians. I've seen Nurse listed at 150. I think she's probably more like 160 with the body type to grow into a SF's build. I like her height, her vertical and her length for SF but she's physically got to do some growing to really be desirable at the 3 spot. That said, I still think she'd be a great addition to the Libs because you could use her as a piece that could move around defensively depending on what you need. You don't want her guarding a really thick SF like Maya Moore, but there's still matchups where you look at it and say man. She'd definitely be a better alternative than Z if we're talking about defending Angel or EDD.

For me personally, I think there's another consideration. The Liberty don't have many "floor game" players...creative ones who can dribble, drive and pass to other for high percentage shots. Part of Sugar's struggles last year were rooted in the fact that the Libs didn't have anybody to drive, draw and dish to her. Nurse, while not a PG or a terrific penetrator, does have the floor vision and ball-handling ability to help the Libs in that area. She also has the outside shot to draw the defense out and open up passing lanes. No Liberty player currently combines all those skills other than Piph to some degree. And her shooting is spotty. Nurse would immediately make that part of the Libs better. And she would do it at 6 feet tall, which is something that's terribly needed on offense, not to mention the other areas of basketball.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 03/21/18 8:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/21/18 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In terms of Vegas Yes I would trade

Rodgers and #10 for Harrison or

Rodgers and #10 for Jefferson

but I think it might be a bad look for Laimbeer to trade with NY, either he is helping his old team, or ripping off his old team, and it all looks a little fishy.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/21/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind Jefferson at all. But two things to consider are...

First in a podcast, I believe Bill said Jefferson would not be ready right at the start of the season. Not having a camp with a new team as a point guard would make the transition difficult.

Second, it would mean having to do something with either Boyd or Hartley. Never mind Lindsay Allen, who I think is going to be a good WNBA player eventually. That would be too many 5'9" and under players to fit on a 12-player roster.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I wouldn't mind Jefferson at all. But two things to consider are...

First in his podcast, I believe Bill said Jefferson would not be ready right at the start of the season. Not having a camp with a new team as a point guard would make the transition difficult.

Second, it would mean having to do something with either Boyd or Hartley. Never mind Lindsay Allen, who I think is going to be a good WNBA player. That would be too many 5'9" and under players to fit on a 12-player roster.

It would be a risk, but if Jefferson is healthy she would easily be the best PG NY has had in a long time, and while not a super star definitely an upgrade in talent that we won't achieve through the draft, and her style of play would compliment Charles and our variety of SGs nicely.

With Rodgers in the trade it allows Harltey to back up (or start in front of Prince at the SG spot). Boyd and L. Allen would be a little over kill in the PG options but Boyd would be coming off of injury and Jefferson as you said would start late due to injury so if we really view MoJeff as an improvement we could keep all three and see how it plays out this season. Also Boyd gets paid next season (as well as B. Allen, Stokes, and Zahui B) so by the end of 18 we'll have a better idea who we want to keep, while also giving Boyd and the others a chance to develop some trade value.

by the end of the season
Jefferson/Boyd/L. Allen
Hartley/Prince
Zelous/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B
Stokes/Vaughn

and post of your choice Gray, Ibekwe, Alleyne, 2nd round pick or waiver wire.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/23/18 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
In terms of Vegas Yes I would trade

Rodgers and #10 for Harrison or

Rodgers and #10 for Jefferson

but I think it might be a bad look for Laimbeer to trade with NY, either he is helping his old team, or ripping off his old team, and it all looks a little fishy.

Tbh Harrison is not worth that. Straight up seems more like it

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/23/18 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree about Harrison's worth. To J-Spoon's point I think Harrison is kind of in between a PF and C in terms of height and size, as well as playing style. I don't see her as a regular 5 spot player alongside Tina, which I'd think would make her value to the Libs pretty limited.

PostPosted: 03/24/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's hoping this offseason is similar to 2015 in regard to the draft. 2015 was different from this season from the standpoint that the Libs did add a new player in free agency (Wright) and re-signed an important leadership player late in the offseason (Cash). OTOH that team transitioned from a 15-win team to a 20+ winning team. So now we have a 20-win team. Hopefully there will be some surprises on draft day that alter the balance of the team similar to the way Boyd and Stokes gave us an upgrade in 2015.

PostPosted: 03/30/18 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Women of Westchester. Sounds like a potentially good reality show. I wonder if Oprah would be interested in picking up on it.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 03/30/18 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The cheapest tickets are $12, but they appear to be the extreme side balcony seats. Curious why most of the balcony is blocked off though? You STH didn't take up most of the balcony, did you?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/30/18 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

The Women of Westchester. Sounds like a potentially good reality show. I wonder if Oprah would be interested in picking up on it.

I can envision this show starring on bravo with Tina Charles as the headliner!

PostPosted: 03/30/18 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina's front and center there and has been promoting the team in Westchester, but still remains unsigned. Very odd. Maybe she only wants a one year deal in case she doesn't like the Westchester situation?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/30/18 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Tina's front and center there and has been promoting the team in Westchester, but still remains unsigned. Very odd. Maybe she only wants a one year deal in case she doesn't like the Westchester situation?

Could be she's having thoughts about rolling the dice on the A'ja, MoJeff and McBride table in Vegas... I doubt it though.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/30/18 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

This is what ive been thinking also. Sucks the LFO cant provide stability for more than 1 yr to their players. Hurts in free agency or trade negotiations also .

PostPosted: 03/30/18 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still not concerned with Charles having not signed yet, she clearly seems involved with the team still. A couple years ago Moore waited a long time, and before that I remember an LJ signing happening much later than expected. I could see her negotiating a one year deal to control her own destiny if the team folds, but if the team still exists in 19 they could still just core her again, even if they are relocated. My guess she will sign eventually, and we won't get any real explanation why it took so long.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/31/18 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I'm still not concerned with Charles having not signed yet, she clearly seems involved with the team still. A couple years ago Moore waited a long time, and before that I remember an LJ signing happening much later than expected. I could see her negotiating a one year deal to control her own destiny if the team folds, but if the team still exists in 19 they could still just core her again, even if they are relocated. My guess she will sign eventually, and we won't get any real explanation why it took so long.

Moore I'm almost certain that that was to have cap flexability for a potential fowles trade should it be needed and when it was clear it wasn't happening in the offseason Moore signs...hopefully its a similar situation...Charles could use a sidekick LOL

PostPosted: 03/31/18 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could be something as simple as her agent or lawyer is busy with other things, or some minor sticking point on appearances, etc.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/31/18 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The cheapest tickets are $12, but they appear to be the extreme side balcony seats. Curious why most of the balcony is blocked off though? You STH didn't take up most of the balcony, did you?

I think they want to reserve a bunch of those for groups.

PostPosted: 03/31/18 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I absolutely agree that it's probably nothing important with Charles. But, if she had decided that she's had enough of this organisation for the moment and wants to take a year off, it would very Liberty-y to keep that quiet for as long as possible in hopes of selling a few extra tickets before everyone finds out. Charles doesn't seem like someone who'd go along with that though - she'd probably just announce it herself - so it's unlikely. But it happens virtually every year when some big-name player takes an oddly long time to sign - everyone starts wondering why.

PostPosted: 04/01/18 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Charles is here to stay, this is her home. no worries.

we are about a week an half away from the draft, its a solid draft but im hoping Azura Stevens or Teaira McCowan come out early to give it more drama and suspense to it lol

this is what i want to see April 12 with the Liberty 3 picks:

10: Vivians/Nared/Billings/Nurse/L. Brown

22:Myisha Hines-Allen; i doubt she will make it that far thanks to her good performance run to the Final 4. Alexis Jennings is more realistic, i like what i saw from her against UCONN she got a strong inside game the Libs need more Big bodies to bang

34:Katelynn Flaherty more shooters, more shooters

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/07/18 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So a few things:

1) WNBA Fan Page is reporting the re-signing of Tina. Can this be confirmed elsewhere?

2) Teaira McCowan did not declare for the draft, correct? Personally if so I think it's the right call. She could use another year to develop her offense.

3) Who do you guys think is the most likely draftee if the Libs stay at 10?

4) If Piph and Rodgers both stay, how do you all foresee the minutes being split? Perhaps I should add what do you think of their minutes if Boyd is good to go vs. if Boyd isn't good to go. Since I guess Piph/Sugar backcourt combos are still possible in sporadic situations.

I'm thinking it will be Nared is NY stays at 10, as her size at SF makes sense. I don't think Vivians or Nurse will be available at 10 so Nared would also make sense. My dark horse is Lexie Brown in the event she falls to 10. While I would hate having a logjam at a position, especially in the case where Brown isn't a pure point guard, I also just think she's really good. She'd add speed, explosiveness, floor game elements and major shooting range in the backcourt. Since we need all 4 qualities, that would work for me. But you'd better be prepared to be creative with your transactions in that case. Entering the season with 5 guards who either qualify as PGs or combo guards isn't going to happen on a 12 player roster. Nor should it, given the needs that the Libs have.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 36 of 90

Jump to: