RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Official 2018 Coaches on the Hotseat thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/20/18 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
The Lady Vols’ Holly Warlick on the hot seat?

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22825239/is-tennessee-lady-vols-coach-holly-warlick-hot-seat

Hard to fire a close friend whose been with the program from the beginning of her college time. When one plays at one college, assistant coaches at the the same school, and is handed the reins by a Legend, it's like trying to unseat a 12 term congress person because firing her is looked upon by the Summitt worshipers as a slight against Summitt and not Warlick.

When a person grows up through the same college like Warlick, she never learns anything new, doesn't gain in-depth experience as a head coach, doesn't learn to deal with different cultures and peoples, make good game decisions, work with administrations, better recruit, work with assistant coaches, and the list goes on and on. If all the colleges promoted their assistant coaches there would be no movement in basketball, no growth and no opportunities.

I've been lighting bonfires under Warlick's ass since she was handed the throne, but it never penetrated the Summitt loyalist worshippers. Happens all the time when a legend passes, retires or needs to go.

I think the best that can hoped for is for Warlick to retire. I'm sure Fulmer would rather have it this way instead of having the pressure of having to light the torch (he may be able to do.)

ESPN's animus, some would say dislike or outright hatred, for Tennessee is pretty well-known there and goes back into the late 90s. It doesn't have anything to do with Pat Summitt, however. It is somewhat connected with Fulmer.

That said, I don't think he's going to fire Holly. He might encourage her to retire, but not likely until after next year. As far as the recruiting, it has picked up since the advent of Sharonna Reaves...or hadn't you noticed? She brought in Cheridene Green (who I wish Holly had played more against Oregon!) and was instrumental in the recruitment of the four freshmen as well as next year's crop. Or didn't you know that? I think Bridgette Gordon was a good hire, too. Maybe Dean Lockwood needs to go, though.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm increasingly disappointed with Holly, but I'm not seeing who Tenn is realistically going to get to replace her that would be a huge improvement. I find it difficult to believe the athletic dept is going to pony up the money to replace a coach who's making $800K/yr with someone like Kim Mulkey or Dawn Staley who are at >$2M/yr. I also know that Tenn fans aren't going to be happy with an up-and-coming asst coach and will be demanding his/her head if they haven't brought home a natty in 2 years. God forbid they insist on a new coach being a member of "Pat's coaching tree." Besides that, scuttlebutt says if CHW leaves, some of those AA's they just recruited are likely to transfer, guaranteeing a couple more rebuilding years. And it would also be a huge recruiting loss if Sharonna Reaves was shown the door.

I am having visions of the Yankees firing Joe Girardi last fall for not advancing to the Series, interviewing a bunch of mediocre candidates, and finally hiring someone with zero managerial experience.

"The grass isn't greener..."
http://sports.usatoday.com/2018/03/19/former-lady-vols-michelle-marciniak-abby-conklin-react-on-social-media-to-sundays-loss/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/18 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I'm increasingly disappointed with Holly, but I'm not seeing who Tenn is realistically going to get to replace her that would be a huge improvement. I find it difficult to believe the athletic dept is going to pony up the money to replace a coach who's making $800K/yr with someone like Kim Mulkey or Dawn Staley who are at >$2M/yr. I also know that Tenn fans aren't going to be happy with an up-and-coming asst coach and will be demanding his/her head if they haven't brought home a natty in 2 years. God forbid they insist on a new coach being a member of "Pat's coaching tree." Besides that, scuttlebutt says if CHW leaves, some of those AA's they just recruited are likely to transfer, guaranteeing a couple more rebuilding years. And it would also be a huge recruiting loss if Sharonna Reaves was shown the door.

I am having visions of the Yankees firing Joe Girardi last fall for not advancing to the Series, interviewing a bunch of mediocre candidates, and finally hiring someone with zero managerial experience.

"The grass isn't greener..."
http://sports.usatoday.com/2018/03/19/former-lady-vols-michelle-marciniak-abby-conklin-react-on-social-media-to-sundays-loss/

What you said. It would just be a bad idea now. They need to leave Holly alone and remember that the freshmen are just that.

If they did go after someone on Pat's coaching tree, I think it would be Kellie Harper, who's had a pretty decent career in the mids and a not-so-wonderful one early on in her career with NC State. She is a pretty solid recruiter and brings along her husband as an assistant. I once heard Pat say that Kellie was the smartest player she ever coached and she would not be surprised to see her back at Tennessee one day. But I think Auburn also has its eye on Kellie.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why Kellie Harper would be that enticing. There are other major conference washouts with better records, like Susie Gardner and Sue Guevara.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Not sure why Kellie Harper would be that enticing. There are other major conference washouts with better records, like Susie Gardner and Sue Guevara.

Because we're talking about Pat's coaching tree here. Not anything else.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

If the AD is going to get rid of Holly Warlick, I do not see why hiring someone from Pat Summitt's coaching tree would be the solution...since they would be firing the biggest branch from said coaching tree.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/21/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

That doesn't explain why Auburn would be interested in her

PostPosted: 03/21/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

That doesn't explain why Auburn would be interested in her

She was an assistant there before she went to Western Carolina and was very popular. She also interviewed for the head coaching job there last time it was open and I understand turned it down, preferring her present situation to what they offered. They hired Terri Williams-Flournoy instead.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The question is whether Harper would be an improvement over Warlick. Based on her record, and her results at NC State, the answer is a No. Ditto for Fargas, who is the only other notable branch from Pat's tree at present. I don't think this should even be a consideration, but a lot of Tenn fans seem fixated on it, although some of them are still wanting Tyler Summitt, so...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The question is whether Harper would be an improvement over Warlick. Based on her record, and her results at NC State, the answer is a No. Ditto for Fargas, who is the only other notable branch from Pat's tree at present. I don't think this should even be a consideration, but a lot of Tenn fans seem fixated on it, although some of them are still wanting Tyler Summitt, so...

Kellie was much younger when she was at NC State, and I think she has learned a lot since then. She recruits well for where she's at now and I think has the knowledge to hire a good recruiter on a national stage. Nikki Vargas is growing into her job at LSU but hasn't recruited all that well. As for Tyler, I don't think he should even be considered now. (And I was once a fan...but he did himself in.)

Personally, I think if they were going to make a switch, they should try like hell to get Wes Moore away from NC State. But I'm for leaving things alone right now.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Id be on board for scooping Jeff Walz away from The Cards Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/21/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Walz is as good a team builder as Moore. I watched Moore at Chattanooga and now at NC State and I think he's got that way over Walz.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I don't think Walz is as good a team builder as Moore. I watched Moore at Chattanooga and now at NC State and I think he's got that way over Walz.

Walz can recruit better than moore in my opinion though . Heck id really want to steal Kelly Graves from Oregon! Cool

PostPosted: 03/21/18 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dont know if this has been posted , But Elliott Out at Cincinnati !

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22860704/cincinnati-bearcats-fire-coach-jamelle-elliott-9-years

PostPosted: 03/21/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Dont know if this has been posted , But Elliott Out at Cincinnati !

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22860704/cincinnati-bearcats-fire-coach-jamelle-elliott-9-years

They traditionally haven't cared about Women's hoops in Cincinnati - wonder if Xavier is thinking about making a change also - they haven't done very well for awhile either. It will be interesting to me to see who they hire hire.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/21/18 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Id be on board for scooping Jeff Walz away from The Cards Very Happy

Walz is making at least twice as much money at Louisville than CHW is. Do you think Tenn would find the funds to entice him to Knoxville?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/22/18 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

If the AD is going to get rid of Holly Warlick, I do not see why hiring someone from Pat Summitt's coaching tree would be the solution...since they would be firing the biggest branch from said coaching tree.

Absolutely.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/22/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes you need to bring in a fresh voice and a fresh face. Too much insularity is not healthy for a program. Groupthink won't come up with innovative solutions.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many of the S16 are coached by alumni? Only one, and he didn't play WCBB there.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone have Elliott on the hot seat? Maybe in years past, but this year?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/22/18 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

I think her seat has been warm for several years.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Phil wrote:

I think her seat has been warm for several years.

Bad timing, and illustrates how poorly the school thinks of WBB. They moved them to a high school gym, and rather than buy her out when she had poor years, they decided to wait out the end of her contract.

Well by doing that, she had a turnaround year, making the WNIT. Then they let her go. The optics suck, and makes the conference look even more smalltime than usual.

If you're too cheap to just buy her out when you could have, with justification, than you should have given her a one or two year extension and see what happens.

Instead you are back to square one.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/22/18 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unsubstantiated rumor: The Tennessee freshmen told the AD they wanted Holly out or they were leaving.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Unsubstantiated rumor: The Tennessee freshmen told the AD they wanted Holly out or they were leaving.

I have difficulty believing this for several reasons.

However, if it's true, I hope the AD immediately revoked their scholarships, denied them releases, showed them where the door is, and sincerely wished them all the best in basketball and life. Then, he or she should make an independent decision as to what, if anything, to do with Warlick.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I have difficulty believing this for several reasons.

However, if it's true, I hope the AD immediately revoked their scholarships, denied them releases, showed them where the door is, and sincerely wished them all the best in basketball and life. Then, he or she should make an independent decision as to what, if anything, to do with Warlick.

Sure, let the top recruiting class go, then maybe fire the coach to decimate the storied program and leave it in shambles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: