RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/20/18 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
I love Ionescu but what was Oregon's best win out of conference? Texas A&m?they are a weak top seed imo.

That's a better non-con win than Baylor or South Carolina had. Are they weak top seeds also?

bu...bu...but, we all know that P12 conference is so weak they shouldn't even be considered a P5 so winning games in conference is like UConn in the AAC. right? whereas the SEC and B12 were really tough this year. Twisted Evil

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/20/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
I love Ionescu but what was Oregon's best win out of conference? Texas A&m?they are a weak top seed imo.

That's a better non-con win than Baylor or South Carolina had. Are they weak top seeds also?

bu...bu...but, we all know that P12 conference is so weak they shouldn't even be considered a P5 so winning games in conference is like UConn in the AAC. right? whereas the SEC and B12 were really tough this year. Twisted Evil

Oregon went 1-1 against Stanford this year, and Stanford went 0-2 against Ohio St, and Ohio St just got blown out by Central Michigan, so that proves that the MAC is superior to the PAC-12 Smile
Of course, now watch Oregon beat Central Michigan in the Sweet 16 to prove everybody wrong. Very Happy

pilight

PostPosted: 03/20/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The MAC is 0-2 vs the P12 this year

PostPosted: 03/20/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Also worth noting, Sabrina was ranked #4 in her class and the next best player (as it has turned out), Ruthy Heard was ranked #78!

This isn't a team with multiple top 10 recruits ...

And the 5th ranked player in the 2016 class will be eligible at Oregon next year.

LitePal

PostPosted: 03/20/18 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Destiny Slocum? She's at Oregon State.

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/20/18 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Destiny Slocum? She's at Oregon State.

The ND transfer Boley.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/20/18 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also next year, Oregon is getting Sabally's 'little' sister, who is supposedly a better player than Satou.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 03/20/18 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabrina is certainly amazing, and she's got an amazing supporting cast, too. Satou, Ruthy, Maite, Mallory, Lexi....and Kelly's skills, plus a fab facility (although I still do not like the 'optics', when they're in their Duckling Yellows, on their floor, LOL!)....is a Perfect Storm for Magic.

[I sent Kelly a congratulatory e-mail after their big comeback thriller over UCLA, to explain that this Easterner is now an Oregon fan, and he sent back the nicest note of appreciation. Yeah, it might have been some assistant that replied, but.....I just like to think he'd be that nice!Cool]

PostPosted: 03/20/18 11:39 pm    ::: Re: Oregon Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Ruth Riley was ranked #53. Siemon was around #80 or so. I never saw a ranking for Ivey. I think Sheila McMillen (senior) might have been close to a top 25 ranking.

Class of 1997 - Blue Star rankings
#53 - Ruth Riley

Class of 1998 - Blue Star rankings
#34 - Sherisa Hills
#49 - Ericka Haney

Class of 1999 - Blue Star rankings
#9 - Alicia Ratay
#41 - Amanda Barkdale
#98 - Monique Hernandez

tfan

PostPosted: 03/21/18 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelly Siemon
Ruth Riley (14 years WNBA)
Alicia Ratay
Ericka Haney
Nielle Ivey (5 years WNBA)
Muffet McGraw

>

Diana Taurasi (14+ years WNBA)
Sue Bird (16+ years WNBA)
Swin Cash (15 years WNBA)
Tamika Williams (7 years WNBA)
Kelly Schumacher/Ashja Jones (9/12 years WNBA)
Geno Auriemma

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both Oregon teams look like they're going to be strong going forward. It should make for an interesting rivalry in the sport.

Last edited by CBiebel on 03/21/18 4:18 am; edited 4 times in total
CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Getting back to the original topic of the thread, I've got to say that the Pac 12 has improved a lot recently. They're definitely one of the top conferences in the sport this year and likely will be one over the next few years.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:16 am    ::: Re: Oregon Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
Has any program turned around with players this young this quick? Like in a 2 year span!

In 1997 ND graduated 4 starters when they made their first Final Four. The next year, with 2 freshmen and a redshirt freshman starting they made the Sweet Sixteen after beating #1 Texas Tech on their home court. The follow year (2 years after graduating 4 starters) ND was a top 10 team for almost the entire season, with 2 sophomore starters (Ruth Riley and Kelley Siemon) and a redshirt sophomore (Niele Ivey).

Hoops9092 wrote:
Also worth noting, Sabrina was ranked #4 in her class and the next best player (as it has turned out), Ruthy Heard was ranked #78!

Ruth Riley was ranked #53. Siemon was around #80 or so. I never saw a ranking for Ivey. I think Sheila McMillen (senior) might have been close to a top 25 ranking.

Note: I'm just answering the question. I'm not trying to belittle the great job Graves has done.

That's not a turnaround. That is a team getting a national title a few years after being in the Final Four.

That Final Four was just one year after the program's first NCAA Tournament win (and win over Purdue as well). It's not like ND was a power when they got their Final Four. They were a team that had 4 senior starters and 2 players who had 2,000 career points.

You make it sound like ND was a power team that was just reloading.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can "We have Sabrina, and you don't" be far behind?

PostPosted: 03/21/18 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Can "We have Sabrina, and you don't" be far behind?

Only if they win a championship with her.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/21/18 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Getting back to the original topic of the thread, I've got to say that the Pac 12 has improved a lot recently. They're definitely one of the top conferences in the sport this year and likely will be one over the next few years.

Having placed 4 teams in the NCAA Tourney's Sweet 16 only once in the entire history of the conference, the Pac has now accomplished that feat each of the past 3 tournaments.

Pac12 WBB is-- I believe inarguably-- stronger and deeper now than it has ever been, ever.

It's made for some very fun hoops-watching out West, here.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon looks like they will be a top 5 team next season, and that is something the Pac 12 has not had for awhile. Stanford has been there, but I'm not sure when anyone else has been for more than a week or two. But the Pac 12 has been one of the top conferences in the country for the past three years in terms of depth, and the lack of a team that has made the final game doesn't take away from that. The Pac 12 was 7 teams deep this season (I include USC because they absolutely deserved to be in the tournament), which is more than half of the conference.

Kelly Graves is one of several very good coaches in the Pac 12. I believe Jody Wynn at Washington will build that program back up in a few years. Mark Trakh is already improving USC. Scott Rueck has done a great job at Oregon St. Lindsay Gottlieb has kept Cal's program at a high level over her 7 years. And Charlie Turner Thorne (ASU) and Tara Vanderveer have done a great job with their programs over a few decades, and Cori Close will have her chance to show how her worth without Canada and Billings. She has endured her share of criticism, but the next year or two will tell a lot about her.

Oregon looks like they will be the best next season, but Oregon St and Stanford will not be far behind. UCLA loses quite a bit, but they still have quite a bit of talent. California (assuming that Anigwe is back and healthy) should be a little better next season. Arizona St is still solid and USC should be much better. I'm not sure that any of the other 5 schools will take enough of a step forward to seriously compete, but the conference continues to be among the best.

We saw how good the SEC turned out to be this season with a 5 and a 6 seed losing in the first round and a 3 and a 4 seed losing in the second round. Few SEC teams (other than Tennessee) venture west to play, and the same is true of most teams in the ACC (Notre Dame is an exception). The Pac 12 played 8 road games vs only 5 home games (3 neutral) against those conferences, and that is typical.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/21/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. UCONN
2. Notre Dame
3. Baylor
4. Louisville
5. Oregon

Top 5 teams next season . I believe Notre Dame will be the favorite if everyone comes back healthy .

PostPosted: 03/21/18 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Oregon looks like they will be a top 5 team next season, and that is something the Pac 12 has not had for awhile. Stanford has been there, but I'm not sure when anyone else has been for more than a week or two.

The last time a Pac 12 team other than Stanford spent more than two consecutive weeks in the top five was 1999, when UCLA was 5-4-4-5 in the first four polls of the season. They finished the season 18-11, unranked, and lost in the first round of the tournament.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Kelly Graves is one of several very good coaches in the Pac 12. I believe Jody Wynn at Washington will build that program back up in a few years. Mark Trakh is already improving USC. Scott Rueck has done a great job at Oregon St. Lindsay Gottlieb has kept Cal's program at a high level over her 7 years. And Charlie Turner Thorne (ASU) and Tara Vanderveer have done a great job with their programs over a few decades, and Cori Close will have her chance to show how her worth without Canada and Billings. She has endured her share of criticism, but the next year or two will tell a lot about her.

Coach Close tends to get "also ran" status when folks do what you've done above and list the Pac-12 coaches who are performing well. Which: fine. Whatever. The Pac-12 has a lot of high-quality coaches! I get it! But I still find it worth noting that in the combined 7 years for which Close has been the coach of the Bruins, UCLA has posted the 3rd-best record in Pac-12 conference play... better than ASU (whose coach is credited above as doing "a great job"), better than Cal (whose coach is credited above as keeping Cal "at a high level"), better than every other Pac-12 program save Stanford and Oregon State. I think that already tells a lot about Cori Close, regardless of what does or doesn't happen to the UCLAWBB program next season.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/21/18 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did not mean to slight Close with my comment. Close has certainly rebuilt the program and I have said many nice things about her in the past. She has done a very good job of recruiting which is the biggest part of being a successful coach. Indeed I would put her in the same class as Gottlieb as someone who has done a good job with the program even as she has gotten criticism for the way she has handled her talent. Close has had more talent and so has gotten more criticism. My point was only that next year for UCLA seems like a transition year and her ability to keep the Bruins as an NCAA team without Canada, Billings and Hayes will be interesting to watch. The cupboard isn't bare by any means, but next year will be a step back.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/22/18 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right on.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/22/18 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the reason CTT gets credit is that she does what she does without getting much in the way of top recruits. Now you can say she's bad for not getting top recruits or you can say she's good for staying competitive without them.

- Amanda Gorman
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 03/22/18 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Sabrina Ionescu will be the best guard to come out of WCBB since Diana Taurasi. She's just so much smarter than everyone else, IMO.

Seimone Augustus has had a fine pro career.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/22/18 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Sabrina Ionescu will be the best guard to come out of WCBB since Diana Taurasi. She's just so much smarter than everyone else, IMO.

Seimone Augustus has had a fine pro career.

Same For Whalen in 05.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: