RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/20/18 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So lets say we did trade Rodgers and #10 for #4 and got either G. Williams or Deshields, and let even start them

Harltey/Boyd/L. Allen
Zelous/Prince
Deshields or G. Williams/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B
Stokes/Vaughn

12 spot pick a post Ibekwe, Alleyne or someone off the waiver wire like Hamson, Bulgak or L. Montgomery.

(In this configuration I kept the back-court combo of Hartley and Zelous together and made Prince instant offense/featured scorer on the second unit but that isn't really what this post is about.)

Is this a more balanced line up, or even a better line up? than say keeping Rodgers and getting whoever we get at #10, let say we luck into a post like Billings for comparison.

Hartley/Boyd/L. Allen
Prince/Rodgers
Zelous/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B/Billings
Stokes/Vaughn

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/20/18 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Yeah I like Williams a lot more than Thomas for the Liberty even with her lack of an outside shot. I don't think Gabby would be ideal for NY but I would take her and figure it out later. I think Gabby can be to the SF position what D-Rob was to the PG position less traditional because of her lack of a shot but still very successful because of her other skills and defense.

Do you believe NY is in a position to select a player in the 1st round and figure them out later ? Just wondering Question

PostPosted: 03/20/18 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Yeah I like Williams a lot more than Thomas for the Liberty even with her lack of an outside shot. I don't think Gabby would be ideal for NY but I would take her and figure it out later. I think Gabby can be to the SF position what D-Rob was to the PG position less traditional because of her lack of a shot but still very successful because of her other skills and defense.

Do you believe NY is in a position to select a player in the 1st round and figure them out later ? Just wondering Question

Please count me as one vote against taking a player in the first round and "figure it out later." This is not a rebuilding team hoping to be good in 2019 or 2020. I know we can't expect a star with the #10 pick in this draft. But I'd prefer someone where it's clear how we believe she can fill a need.

PostPosted: 03/20/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A recent history of #10 picks: Kaela Davis, Imani Boyette, Sam Logic, Markeisha Gatling, A'dia Mathies, LaSondra Barrett, Victoria Dunlap, Alison Lacey, Chante Black...

All of which is to say, if there's someone left who you think can be a contributing WNBA player, whatever position, this season or in future, just take them. Because most of the options left are going to be lucky to have basketball-playing careers in the Ukraine, never mind the WNBA.

If you just want a replacement-level backup who can fill a few minutes, there's a Burdick/Kiesel/Gatling sitting around on their couch waiting for a phone call every year. So 'drafting for need' when there are only a couple of people left who'll have WNBA careers seems silly. Gotta take the player left you feel has the most talent.

PostPosted: 03/20/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"figure it out later" hardly ever works

toad455

PostPosted: 03/20/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boyd will be starting unless she's not 100%. Hartley will now be the 4th guard off the bench. We draft our biggest need at #10 and that's either a SF(Vivians) or PF(Billings). if both are gone by #10, maybe Mavunga?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/20/18 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
I wouldn't put too much stock in Thomas' performance from last night. Buffalo only has one player taller than 6-1, and they don't have anyone who is a pro-caliber athlete. They won based on skill and better team play. Hemphill has decent athletic ability, but she's skinny and I don't see much muscle definition. Dillard may have the skill and swagger to play at the next level, but she needs to get in much better shape. Consequently, Thomas was able to run amok against inferior athletes who are nowhere near what she'll face in the WNBA. I'm sure Katie Smith realizes that.

Agreed , pretty stern observation from liberty fans . How do you guys feel about Gabby? Just wondering, me personally i believe all critics given to thomas also apply to Gabby but others see it differently . Would you Liberty fans take Gabby?

Gabby has guard skills. You’re punishing Gabby for how Geno uses her instead of having the vision to see what she could be.

Thomas has guard skills , You're Punishing Shakayla for how Sue uses her instead of having the vision to see what she could be . Laughing

Unlike Thomas, Williams has really nice form on her shot. That is a heck of a lot better than someone with an ugly jumper and no guard skills. Thomas does not have the passing ability or vision Williams does. Laughing Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/20/18 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby won't be there at 10 so you don't have to worry about that. What about Hines-Allen? I really haven't seen enough of her to have an opinion but I would think she will fall into that range. And from what little I've seen, I would take her long before Thomas. Billings or Mavunga are likely to be there at 10 but they are IMO about the same as Reshanda Gray who you already have.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/20/18 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
A recent history of #10 picks: Kaela Davis, Imani Boyette, Sam Logic, Markeisha Gatling, A'dia Mathies, LaSondra Barrett, Victoria Dunlap, Alison Lacey, Chante Black...

All of which is to say, if there's someone left who you think can be a contributing WNBA player, whatever position, this season or in future, just take them. Because most of the options left are going to be lucky to have basketball-playing careers in the Ukraine, never mind the WNBA.

If you just want a replacement-level backup who can fill a few minutes, there's a Burdick/Kiesel/Gatling sitting around on their couch waiting for a phone call every year. So 'drafting for need' when there are only a couple of people left who'll have WNBA careers seems silly. Gotta take the player left you feel has the most talent.

I agree if someone is clearly more talented than the other players available, then you should absolutely take her regardless of position. However, by the time you reach #10, that usually isn't the case. I don't think this year will be any different. The choices are likely to be players with very mixed reviews. So, if you draft this work-in-progress talent, but she never gets off the bench, aren't you severely hindering her chances of development? It's better to take a player who fills a need so she can get on the floor. Also, if you are in "win now" mode there is more urgency to fill needs immediately rather than wait. If you haven't already accomplished it through trades or free agency (NY has done zippo) then the draft is your last avenue for fixing problems.

PostPosted: 03/20/18 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Gabby won't be there at 10 so you don't have to worry about that. What about Hines-Allen? I really haven't seen enough of her to have an opinion but I would think she will fall into that range. And from what little I've seen, I would take her long before Thomas. Billings or Mavunga are likely to be there at 10 but they are IMO about the same as Reshanda Gray who you already have.

Billings is much quicker and more athletic than Gray. You see it in the hustle stats such as rebounding, blocks, and steals where Billings has better numbers. Reshanda is a banger -- more of an undersized 4/5. Billings is too small to play 5 at the next level. Did you see that post-game interview with her sitting between Chiney and Tiffany Greene? Monique looked like a junior high school kid because her frame was noticeably smaller. I view Billings as a Nayo-type with a couple of extra skills (midrange jumper and blocks). I also think Monique has quick enough feet to defend some SFs.

PostPosted: 03/20/18 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
I wouldn't put too much stock in Thomas' performance from last night. Buffalo only has one player taller than 6-1, and they don't have anyone who is a pro-caliber athlete. They won based on skill and better team play. Hemphill has decent athletic ability, but she's skinny and I don't see much muscle definition. Dillard may have the skill and swagger to play at the next level, but she needs to get in much better shape. Consequently, Thomas was able to run amok against inferior athletes who are nowhere near what she'll face in the WNBA. I'm sure Katie Smith realizes that.

Agreed , pretty stern observation from liberty fans . How do you guys feel about Gabby? Just wondering, me personally i believe all critics given to thomas also apply to Gabby but others see it differently . Would you Liberty fans take Gabby?

Gabby has guard skills. You’re punishing Gabby for how Geno uses her instead of having the vision to see what she could be.

Thomas has guard skills , You're Punishing Shakayla for how Sue uses her instead of having the vision to see what she could be . Laughing

Unlike Thomas, Williams has really nice form on her shot. That is a heck of a lot better than someone with an ugly jumper and no guard skills. Thomas does not have the passing ability or vision Williams does. Laughing Laughing

I will agree that thomas does not have the vision that gabby does but id take Shakaylas offensive instic over gabbys. Both can rebound like Monsters .

PostPosted: 03/20/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Agreed ESPN has made sure of that.

PostPosted: 03/20/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK so here's the thing my current preference is still to try and trade up for Deshields, I think Rodgers and #10 for #4 might be able to accomplish that with Chicago. Now lets say Chicago decides it wants Deshields but is still willing to make the trade for #4 and we are left with G. Williams as the option. When I say figure it out in terms of Gabby I start with the thesis that she will be a better two way player than any option we will have at #10 so I probably still make the move, but her lack of a long range shooting and SF size does IMO lead to her having some limitations to who she is best to be on the floor with. If both the PG and SG have a 3 ball as well as the PF which Tina has developed, then I think she is a good fit, if were playing our PGs who also lack range then it is harder to have Williams on the floor as well, that is what I mean by "figure it out" but IM she is still far enough ahead of the players who are likely to be at #10 that I would take that risk.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/20/18 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In reference to the comment about Hartley being the 4th guard, I don't see it. At the end of last season Hartley was the #2 option on the team, she just signed (my guess) a max contract, and can play both the 1 or the 2, even if she doesn't start (which I think she will) I think Hartley will log the most minutes of our current guard options, and she will have the best season of her career. Her emergence just makes moving one of Prince/Rodgers a little easier for the team going forward.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/20/18 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vivians is the best fit. If you are trading up, I would be trying to get her.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/20/18 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And finally if we do not pick a post at #10, and no trades happen it pretty much means either L. Allen or R. Allen are out. Right now we have four posts, I think we'll need a fifth, or at least a 4th and a half i.e. a tweener who can play some 3 as well as 4. Because of that I feel like Billings or Mavunga (both of whom I like more than others do and I think will be decent 5th post options in the league for a couple of seasons at least) might be the best bet. I really want to keep L. Allen because I'm not 100% convinced that Hartley can do it full-time, and Boyd is coming back off a major injury so having that steady hand as 3rd option at the point is still important for our team. And broken record from the last two season but this is the year B. Allen breaks out (as well as Zahui B) so I don't want to give her away for nothing.

But if we draft an Atkins, Vivians, Nared, or Nurse (I still don't think Nurse or Vivians won't lasts until #10 which makes the decision even easier to go post) someone on the perimeter has to go, and we still need that 5th post.

Now of course if Canada (or to a lesser degree L. Brown fall to #10) it basically sends L. Allen packing, and doesn't really solve our bigger needs at SF or in the post, but I think we have to do it.

So ATM my bet is trade up,
or Billings at #10, with Mavunga as runner up post (I don't hate the idea of Hines-Allen either 10 seems high but she'll be gone by 22).
followed by grabbing a more talented player who falls on the perimeter such as Canada, Vivians or Nurse.
Or which I'm not that hyped about but works for our roster the falling of M Russell to #10, but I kind of want her picked before us so I don't have to worry about not wanting what is probably by far the best move the team could make without a trade.
If we do go perimeter in rd 1 I would try and go post in round 2 (even though it will be really hard for a 2nd round pick to make it) Hines-Allen, Muldrow, or bigger with Butler or Jensen.
If we go guard in rd 2 could Goodwin, Flaherty, McPhee or Buss break through what we already have? doubt it, maybe Goodwin.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 03/20/18 11:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/20/18 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Vivians is the best fit. If you are trading up, I would be trying to get her.

I have no explanation but I'm just not that into her for the Liberty, even though yes she would be a good fit and could probably even start from day 1 at SF. She could probably even play some PF in a pinch, if we get her at #10 it would be pretty cool, but for what ever reason at #10 I'm not that jazzed about her, and I don't think even as the better fit than Williams (Or Deshields though I think Diamond is a great fit for us) I wouldn't want to lose Rodgers or Stokes to get her, and I think it has to be one of those two player #10 to move up to 3-6 to get Vivians.

Hartley/Boyd/L. Allen
Prince/Rodgers
Zelous/Vivians/B. Allen
Charles/Zahui B
Stokes/Vaughn

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/20/18 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless a couple of people come out early, I think the choices at #10 will be Atkins, Billings, Russell or Nared. IMHO Mavunga and Hines-Allen won't give you more than Alleyne or Reshanda Gray, so they're out. Atkins is that pure SG who will get crowded out and languish on the bench. I'm not a huge fan to begin with anyway. So it comes down to the Tennessee Disappointments or Billings... unless you want to go foreign, which is a whole other discussion. I secretly want to draft Olbis Futo Andre’ so that we can add her to the cool names list. Smile

PostPosted: 03/21/18 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of useful (or better) players have been available at 10 (Hayes, Stokes, Bentley, R. Williams, Holmes, Messeman, Dantas, Lucas, Sugar come to mind quickly). The problem is just in picking the right one out of the many that don't end up doing much (far longer list.)

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/21/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
OK so here's the thing my current preference is still to try and trade up for Deshields, I think Rodgers and #10 for #4 might be able to accomplish that with Chicago. Now lets say Chicago decides it wants Deshields but is still willing to make the trade for #4 and we are left with G. Williams as the option. When I say figure it out in terms of Gabby I start with the thesis that she will be a better two way player than any option we will have at #10 so I probably still make the move, but her lack of a long range shooting and SF size does IMO lead to her having some limitations to who she is best to be on the floor with. If both the PG and SG have a 3 ball as well as the PF which Tina has developed, then I think she is a good fit, if were playing our PGs who also lack range then it is harder to have Williams on the floor as well, that is what I mean by "figure it out" but IM she is still far enough ahead of the players who are likely to be at #10 that I would take that risk.

So why would Chicago trade the No. 4 pick for an aging volume shooter and an essentially worthless choice? OK, maybe you get lucky at 10, but really, you need to get a little lucky at 4 as well. Rachel Banham, for example, was a No. 4 pick just two years ago. (In general, though, No. 4 delivers a serviceable player ...)

PostPosted: 03/21/18 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

So why would Chicago trade the No. 4 pick for an aging volume shooter and an essentially worthless choice? OK, maybe you get lucky at 10, but really, you need to get a little lucky at 4 as well. Rachel Banham, for example, was a No. 4 pick just two years ago. (In general, though, No. 4 delivers a serviceable player ...)

If I were Chicago's GM, I wouldn't trade the #4 pick for Rodgers and #10. I like Sugar Rodgers. But when the 2017 WNBA season opened, she was beginning her 5th season in the WNBA and was about 27 1/2 years old. That's when you'd like to see a player hitting her peak. Instead, Rodgers took a significant step backward. Could she do much better this year? Absolutely. But I wouldn't trade the #4 pick to find out, even with the #10 pick coming as well.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With that trade, New York takes DeShields @ #4? Chicago takes Williams at #3 and possibly Billings or Mavunga at #10?

SKY
PG: Vandersloot/Faulkner
SG: Quigley/Rodgers
SF: Copper/Williams/Montgomery
PF: Parker/Bulgak/Billings or Mavunga
C: Dolson/Coates
LAST CUT: Hooper/N'dour

LIBERTY
PG: Boyd/LAllen
SG: Prince/Hartley
SF: Zellous/DeShields/RAllen
PF: Charles/Zahui B/Gray
C: Vaughn/Stokes
LAST CUT: Ibekwe/#22 pick

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 03/21/18 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toad, now you’re actually keeping Zahui over a training camp player? I’m a little in shock.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/21/18 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still think worrying about age for a player under 30 is outsmarting yourself. The more germane question is why does Chicago or any team in this league need Sugar Rodgers? I don't see any team in the league that has a gaping hole at SG. Maybe Washington needs a 2 if Hill isn't ready. However, they signed Currie who could maybe play SG or she could play SF and TRP moves to SG. I also think SWK has all the tools needed to be good, so she'd actually be my first option. I just don't see why anyone would trade for Rodgers to be their starting SG. Sugar wouldn't be a significant upgrade for any team. And despite the 6th Woman award, Sugar wasn't really effective off the bench -- at least not offensively. On top of that, who wants a bench player who makes max salary and only plays one position?

The only person who might want to trade for Rodgers is Laimbeer. He loves Sugar's defense, and she could help him implement his philosophy on the court. Having a veteran lead by example usually expedites the learning process for young players. So, you wouldn't only be trading for an individual player, you could be helping the whole team. LVA probably won't have salary cap concerns for awhile because they're young. That makes Sugar's big contract more palatable. So, if people want to create fantasy trades involving Rodgers, Las Vegas is where they should look.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In other words, although Rodgers isn’t exactly table scraps, she’s not conducive enough to make teams want to trade down for her. Stokes, on the other hand, could be a different story.

root_thing wrote:
On top of that, who wants a bench player who makes max salary and only plays one position?

Apparently the Lynx did that when they traded for Perkins.

root_thing wrote:
So, if people want to create fantasy trades involving Rodgers, Las Vegas is where they should look.

The trouble with that is no way is Laimbeer trading away #1 without a starter in a needed position (for example, Charles) being returned. And #13 isn’t exactly what Spooner was looking for.

Spooner, would you be interested in Harrison?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 35 of 90

Jump to: