RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/22/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could see Vegas taking R. Williams as well for a 2018 3rd round pick or 2019 end or 3rd round pick. Vegas could also offer someone like Hamby, Coffey or reserved players like Holmes or Burdick who might end up cut in Vegas or LA anyway.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/22/18 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You really think AFO really wants another small guard?

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/22/18 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Williams isn't that small?

ATM Dallas only has Plum, the still injured Jefferson and McBride as guard options (yet to re-sign Colson or Holmes) and sliding T. Young over from the SF spot so I think he would like R. Williams as an off the bench option. It is also one of those buy low trade risks he like to take.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/18 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Williams isn't that small?

ATM Vegas only has Plum, the still injured Jefferson and McBride as guard options (yet to re-sign Colson or Holmes) and sliding T. Young over from the SF spot so I think he would like R. Williams as an off the bench option. It is also one of those buy low trade risks he like to take.

You might be onto something.

I’ve been thinking about RWilliams for the Lynx, but the lack of focus she showed during the playoffs put me off. I’m not sure she would respond to Reeve any better. Also if the amount Randy recited is correct, it wouldn’t make much sense to not pay Howard max but pay RWilliams max.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/22/18 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rquna is 5'7". She does have heft and amazing jumping ability... but she is still short. But as Shades says, they do need another good guard. Colson can fill in some but BayBay at her best can be really dynamic. So yeah, maybe he would want to give her a go. Still I'm thinking there will be a lot of cheap looks at SG position so you would have to really think she was 'it' to make that commitment.

In my mock, I have Las Vegas taking Atkins and think she could be really good on that team.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/28/18 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks Preseason Games

Monday, May 7 - 7:00 PM ET at the Mohegan Sun Arena
Sparks @ Connecticut

Tuesday, May 8 - 5:00 PM ET at the Mohegan Sun Arena
Sparks vs Liberty

May 12 at 5:00 PM ET at Pasadena City College
Chinese National Team vs Sparks

toad455

PostPosted: 03/12/18 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pondexter to retire at end of season?

http://beyondthew.com/1-on-1-exclusive-cappie-talks-about-signing-to-l-a-reuniting-with-essence-and-retirement/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 03/12/18 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Pondexter to retire at end of season?

The way I interpret it she wants to retire with a championship, so she’s championship chasing. Hopefully it doesn’t happen for her anytime soon.

I’m not sure why Essence Carson would be happy to see her since she could be one of the guards they let go to make room for Cappie. They gotta make room for Cappie and Dabovic.... and possibly go with 11 since Sims is getting paid now. Something’s gotta give over there.

Carson was the one I was one hoping the Lynx could scoop up for cheap if they were patient enough, but instead they paid a first rounder for DRob. Reeve making me miss Roger Griffith.

Anyway, Cappie acknowledged that Chicago was “looking to go in another direction”. That has to be humbling to a not so humble player as herself.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/12/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, the one bonus Carson has is she's more of a 3 and Cappie is a 2 and also can play PG. I think it's clear Williams is the weakest of the group and should be the one to go. Wiese only gets kept if they stick with only 4 posts(unlikely). Looking ahead to 2019, if Cappie returns we also have to question if Beard returns. And Dabovic.

PG: Gray/Pondexter
SG: Sims/Dabovic
SF: Beard/Carson
PF: Parker/Jackson-Jones/draft pick
C: Ogwumike/Lavender

Shades

PostPosted: 03/12/18 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
well, the one bonus Carson has is she's more of a 3

They can slot there, but to me she’s a bit small for a SF. On the Lynx I’d slot her as a SG. What’s her actual height, about 5’10?

toad455 wrote:
I think it's clear Williams is the weakest of the group and should be the one to go.

No trade.... just cut her? I wonder if her contract is guaranteed. You’d have to trade her in that case or she gets a free ride that counts against the Sparks cap.

toad455 wrote:
Wiese only gets kept if they stick with only 4 posts(unlikely).

She might be a commodity now that she showed up in Team USA camp. She was good enough to show up in my Chiney trade proposal. Smile

toad455 wrote:
Looking ahead to 2019, if Cappie returns we also have to question if Beard returns. And Dabovic.

toad455 wrote:
SG: Sims/Dabovic
PF: Ogwumike/Jackson/draft pick
C: Parker/Lavender

It’s looking like Jackson dropped the Jones so I fixed it for you.

Looking at it from the 11 man roster scenario, a versatile stretch 4 or 5 as a draft pick would seem ideal for the Sparks. Nared might not be so crazy. I would love if Agler were to stretch for Kaylee Jensen out of Ok St. I think Vadeeva would be just about perfect for them but she’s getting too much hype to fall that far... unless she puts out an announcement that she’s not playing.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/12/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
well, the one bonus Carson has is she's more of a 3

Has Carson ever been used a significant amount of time at shooting guard?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/15/18 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So LA could (or might have to) go with an 11 player roster

Gray/Pondexter
Sims/Dabovic
Beard/Carson
Ogwumike/Jackson/#11
Parker/Lavender

but to even get to that they would have to trade R. Williams (if her money is guaranteed) and cut Weise.

Does anyone think LA might try to trade one of their max or near max players in attempt to go to a 12 player roster? This would allow them to keep Weise (who I think Agler kind of likes, she did get some minutes for a rookie) along with the draft pick, and maybe bring in another cheaper option via trade whether it be a pick or a player.

I feel like if they were to go this root you could add Lavender and/or Carson to R. Williams as possible trade options.

I could see Chicago, Was and Indy all having interest in Lavender, and I could see Laimbeer taking on Carson or R. Williams.

And if LA is doing a salary dump the trade wouldn't have to be that even.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/16/18 3:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So LA could (or might have to) go with an 11 player roster

Gray/Pondexter
Sims/Dabovic
Beard/Carson
Ogwumike/Jackson/#11
Parker/Lavender

but to even get to that they would have to trade R. Williams (if her money is guaranteed) and cut Weise.

Does anyone think LA might try to trade one of their max or near max players in attempt to go to a 12 player roster? This would allow them to keep Weise (who I think Agler kind of likes, she did get some minutes for a rookie) along with the draft pick, and maybe bring in another cheaper option via trade whether it be a pick or a player.

I feel like if they were to go this root you could add Lavender and/or Carson to R. Williams as possible trade options.

I could see Chicago, Was and Indy all having interest in Lavender, and I could see Laimbeer taking on Carson or R. Williams.

And if LA is doing a salary dump the trade wouldn't have to be that even.

I dont know if Agler is willing to trade Lavender. If he does then he needs a veteran postplayer in return that he trusts behind Nneka and Parker. So i dont think that solves anything. Trading Carson i can see

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Randy

PostPosted: 03/16/18 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about R. Williams to the Sky? Sky have 3 foreign players in the backcourt so who knows how much time they will miss this year, and with the all the rookies and new players they will have probably have cap space. So maybe R. Williams to the Sky for a 3rd round pick exchange option in 2019 or just a bag of chips.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/18 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After success in Europe, former Badgers star Jolene Anderson set for another shot at WNBA

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/basketball/professional/after-success-in-europe-former-badgers-star-jolene-anderson-set/article_5d7dddd3-3b6b-5ba7-b665-355a680515ea.html

Quote:
Jolene Anderson mows lawns in Port Wing during her three-month breaks from playing basketball in the EuroLeague.

Quote:
She joined Famila Schio in 2013 and spent 18 months learning to speak Italian.

Anderson, 31, said she’s enjoyed a pro career that pays “two-and-a-half times more” than what she’d earn for playing in the WNBA. The EuroLeague season starts at the end of August and ends in the middle of May.

According to the WNBA, the minimum salary for a player with less than two years’ experience is $40,439 per year. The average salary is $77,605, and the maximum with six-plus year’s tenure is $113,500.

Quote:
This past winter, a Schio teammate and former Sparks player got a message from Los Angeles general manager Penny Toler, who requested Anderson’s number. Toler asked Anderson to participate in team tryouts in early May.

“Honestly after Chicago, I was content and happy to have summers off, so I pretty much gave up on the WNBA,” Anderson said. “(Toler) called me personally to ask me to come try out because of the career I’ve had in Europe.”

They signed Anderson 8 days before Cappie. Don’t think there’s much of a chance of her making the roster unless they’re willing to part with yet more guards than they already have to part with.

Quote:
Joanne P. McCallie got the chance to coach Anderson on several national teams — the USA Basketball under-21 women’s team that competed in Moscow in 2007 and the under-20 team that won the FIBA Americas Championship in 2006 in Mexico City.

McCallie, who has coached at Duke for 11 seasons, said Anderson’s experience growing up in a small town made her a terrific player and person.

“Talk about a focused, hard-working, non-drama, sharp-shooting guard who understands the game of basketball,” McCallie said. “She’s a consummate team player, makes great decisions and makes a coach’s life a lot easier.”

Quote:
No matter if it’s in the WNBA or overseas, I will never say no to a team that wants me.”

Anderson said the Sparks already have 10 players on guaranteed contract, and approximately 15 people will be vying for two roster spots.

Making the team might be a long shot, but it’s a shot Anderson is willing to take.

“I’m not in a win-or-lose situation,” she said. “If I don’t make it, things remain the same for me. I guess if I do make it, it’s another dream and goal accomplished.”

toad455

PostPosted: 03/19/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that they basically say they can carry 12 players. I'd assume the ten guaranteed are: Parker, Ogwumike, Lavender, Beard, Carson, Sims, Gray, Pondexter & Williams. They draft a post at #11, dump Williams and keep Dabovic & Wiese.

SG: Sims/Dabovic/Wiese
PF: Parker/Jackson/draft pick

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/19/18 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Interesting that they basically say they can carry 12 players. I'd assume the ten guaranteed are: Parker, Ogwumike, Lavender, Beard, Carson, Sims, Gray, Pondexter & Williams. They draft a post at #11, dump Williams and keep Dabovic & Wiese.

If Williams has a guaranteed contract “dumping” her isn’t that easy.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/19/18 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'd assume the ten guaranteed are...

Alternatively, the idea that there are ten players with guaranteed deals on the roster is bollocks.

TotalCardinalMove wrote:

This, on the other hand...

PostPosted: 03/19/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Trade. Maybe Atlanta, Phoenix or Washington could take her?

Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/18 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
toad455 wrote:

You can compare what happen to Kayla Alexander as a "dump".... a trade for a minimum return. The Sugar Rodgers trade was a "dump".

Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/18 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Board Gremlins back?

Last edited by Shades on 03/19/18 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 03/19/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I’m not so sure any of those teams would necessarily want her. Especially Atlanta, considering they spent a lot of money on Montgomery.

Randy

PostPosted: 03/19/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
toad455 wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I’m not so sure any of those teams would necessarily want her. Especially Atlanta, considering they spent a lot of money on Montgomery.

I don't think the Dream need her. We don't need another gunner. We already have Machine Gun Maggie, Dead Eye Sykes and Quick Draw McCoughtry. I was thinking the Sky probably have the cap space to take a flyer on her, esp. with Sloot, Quiq and Faulk all being foreign nationals now.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/18 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

I don't think the Dream need her. We don't need another gunner. We already have Machine Gun Maggie, Dead Eye Sykes and Quick Draw McCoughtry. I was thinking the Sky probably have the cap space to take a flyer on her, esp. with Sloot, Quiq and Faulk all being foreign nationals now.

Not a bad spot for her if Pokey takes Mitchell, but what if she doesn't?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/19/18 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I was thinking the Sky probably have the cap space to take a flyer on her, esp. with Sloot, Quiq and Faulk all being foreign nationals now.

Hungary have already naturalised yet another American, meaning the one of Sloot/Quigley that could get called up at some future point probably won't happen. Faulkner apparently has a Russian passport now but is yet to be in any squad, so might play for them about as often as Kelly Miller and Deanna Nolan ever have. Plus, again, there are no Euro national team games until November (apart from the Worlds, which don't involve any teams that Sky players could play for). So it's really not much of an issue this season.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 7 of 22

Jump to: