RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Becky Hammon a "top candidate" for Colorado State

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/07/18 1:39 pm    ::: Becky Hammon a "top candidate" for Colorado State Reply Reply with quote

Spurs' Becky Hammon Reportedly a 'Top Candidate' for Colorado State Job

Quote:
Hammon would be a logical choice, as she was a three-time All-American during her college playing career at Colorado State and a six-time WNBA All-Star. She's coached for the Spurs since the 2014 season, twice taking charge of the organization's Summer League team.

"She’s established a great presence in our group," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford told Thamel. "She’s got the respect of our coaches, our players and our organization. She has great insight at two different levels, both in the coaching environment and strategic discussions and she can also take [instruction] to our players and discuss with them."

As Thamel noted, she would become the first woman to coach a men's Division I team if she were she hired. But Buford believes the story of Hammon would quickly go from one about her making history to simply one about her always being the best option for the job.

PostPosted: 03/07/18 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would this be a good move for Becky ?

miller40

PostPosted: 03/07/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

That's what I was wondering. Why would she even want this job (excluding if she wants it for non-basketball reasons).

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/07/18 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

That's what I was wondering. Why would she even want this job (excluding if she wants it for non-basketball reasons).

A head coaching job at the college level? If she wants to move up in men's basketball as a coach I would say yes. Succeed there, then move to a more prominent D1 school...

Climb the ladder.

PostPosted: 03/07/18 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a piece on this by Frank Isola, the longtime basketball columnist for the New York Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/becky-hammon-leave-nba-college-head-coaching-chance-article-1.3862009

PostPosted: 03/07/18 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Here's a piece on this by Frank Isola, the longtime basketball columnist for the New York Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/becky-hammon-leave-nba-college-head-coaching-chance-article-1.3862009

Excellent article, thank you.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Excellent article, thank you.

You're welcome. He writes either exclusively or almost always about the NBA. I respect Frank Isola's work.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beware, Becky.

Even granting that Hammon has the respect of NBA players for coaching and leadership skills, college coaching is all about recruiting, and I'm not sure she can command recruiting gravitas from 16 year old boys who probably have never heard of her. In addition, Colorado State is a losing program.

This has all the ingredients to be a career ender. Stay in the NBA, Becky, where recruiting is not an issue, or go for a P5 WCBB position.
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/08/18 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Beware, Becky.

Even granting that Hammon has the respect of NBA players for coaching and leadership skills, college coaching is all about recruiting, and I'm not sure she can command recruiting gravitas from 16 year old boys who probably have never heard of her. In addition, Colorado State is a losing program.

This has all the ingredients to be a career ender. Stay in the NBA, Becky, where recruiting is not an issue, or go for a P5 WCBB position.

Yeah, this is a very good point. The recruiting world is a world onto its own, so while the HC position is nice for the résumé, it might not be worth giving up the position she has. Provided, of course, that she feels she can climb the ladder though NBA assistant jobs and sees a solid path for herself.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The recruiting as well as being "on her own" instead of Pop having her back does make this job pretty challenging and possibly it will end up a failure. However, I think Hammon has a lot of grit so it may well be a success.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/08/18 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An interesting choice for Hammon ...

If she wants to stay in the NBA, at whatever level, there's nothing to be gained by taking the Colorado State job. The only reason to do so would be to put "head coach" on her resume, but as has been pointed out, success in college is primarily dependent on recruiting, recruiting, and more recruiting -- and Fort Collins is not exactly a premier destination ...

She also has not been an assistant in college and thus doesn't really know the landscape. It would make more sense for her, in some ways, to become a lead assistant in college before taking a head job.

On the other hand, if she wants to be a head coach, her chances of doing so are much, much greater at the college level. There are only 30 NBA jobs, and there are a lot of assistants who would like to move up, plus the odd college coach who gets a chance (Billy Donovan).

What we don't know is if Hammon feels any obligation to be a pioneer for women in coaching. If that's a factor, then that would make a move to Colorado State more likely. If her focus is solely on her own career, however -- and I wouldn't blame her if it is -- I think it depends on how important it is for her to be a head coach as opposed to an assistant.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surely the only reason she's considering this job is that it's her alma mater

PostPosted: 03/08/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Surely the only reason she's considering this job is that it's her alma mater

My sense would be that the only reason she's being considered for the job is that it's her alma mater.

PostPosted: 03/17/18 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UPDATE: Becky decides to remain with the NBA’s San Antonio Spurs.

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports/csu/ci_31741516/becky-hammon-discussed-head-coaching-job-colorado-state

PostPosted: 03/17/18 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably wise of her to pass on the job. The former head coach was under investigation and with all the turmoil concerning the FBI investigation it might be wise to stay out of the men's game until the smoke clears.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/17/18 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never thought it made sense for Hammon to take an iffy college men's head coaching gig just to make history. She just turned 41 years old. She's got lots of time and will have lots of great options ahead of her--in women's basketball and men's, on the college level and on the professional level.

PostPosted: 03/18/18 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree better to stay in SA with the Spurs .
I miss Becky with The Liberty...an exciting player

I wonder how many still remember the epic Becky Hammon thread on Rebkell
from years ago

StevenHW

PostPosted: 03/18/18 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
[snip]...I wonder how many still remember the epic Becky Hammon thread on Rebkell from years ago

Along with the Diana Taurasi mega-thread? Wink

PostPosted: 03/18/18 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article I am looking at doesn't say whether Hammon turned down the job or whether no offer was made.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/18/18 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few articles I've seen say that Hammon was in talks with Colorado State and then withdrew her candidacy. They don't say that a definite offer was made. I'd guess that these talks meant that they wanted her, but that's just my guess.

PostPosted: 03/19/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Pat Forde
@YahooForde

Y sources: After extensive conversations with Colorado State, Becky Hammon is opting to stay in the NBA with the Spurs.
10:28 AM - Mar 17, 2018

http://www.complex.com/sports/2018/03/becky-hammon-turns-down-college-mens-head-coaching-job-stay-spurs?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: