RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA teams wait for players to return

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/25/05 9:00 pm    ::: WNBA teams wait for players to return Reply Reply with quote

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=702944

PostPosted: 04/25/05 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Brown said the league is currently in talks with FIBA basketball's world governing body to try and "get the schedules more in sync."

Interesting. I can't see the European leagues shifting much though - they're the ones offering the big dough.

Quote:
"You go any longer, you run into college football and the NFL," Smith said. "You have to find that niche. I think our season's in a good spot.

I thought the WNBA did ok when it went into September last year.
Slovydal

PostPosted: 04/25/05 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would prefer tha W started and ended a little later.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 04/25/05 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

I would too.
TV time might be harder to come by but it's early in the NFL season so no one would be missing much. I'd like to think people could get used to it.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/25/05 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

I would too.
TV time might be harder to come by but it's early in the NFL season so no one would be missing much. I'd like to think people could get used to it.

ABC doesn't have NFL games except on Monday night, and not even that starting in 2006. ESPN has only Sunday night now and only Monday night starting next season. There are exactly ZERO games being televised on Mondays this season. ESPN often schedules WCBB games on Sundays in November and December as a counter-program to NFL games.

Whatever problems they might have putting on WNBA games, lack of air time isn't one of them.

PostPosted: 04/25/05 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Brown said the league is currently in talks with FIBA basketball's world governing body to try and "get the schedules more in sync."

geez, wasn't this being reported two years ago? it's not rocket science.

PostPosted: 04/25/05 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
MNfan22 wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

I would too.

ABC doesn't have NFL games except on Monday night, and not even that starting in 2006. ESPN has only Sunday night now and only Monday night starting next season. There are exactly ZERO games being televised on Mondays this season. ESPN often schedules WCBB games on Sundays in November and December as a counter-program to NFL games.

Whatever problems they might have putting on WNBA games, lack of air time isn't one of them.

Well I should have include the college gms as well. There are now college football gms on almost every night of the wk in the fall.

Not sure how many W gms ABC is doing this summer but they haven't gone out of their way to show W gms during the summer, they'd rather show golf. In the fall w/college football all over the dial on ABC and ESPN it doesn't leave much room for the W. I'm sure more advertisers would rather pay for football air time then W air time.

Also there are the MLB pennant races to bump the W. If other networks like USA network or Oxygen or somebody, would pick up the slack that would help. I just don't see ABC or ESPN wanting to be first in line.

The Blimp

PostPosted: 04/25/05 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well if you ever wondered why the WNBA has a packed schedule the answer would apparently be that the season is only four months long due to the impact of other sports and network programing imperatives for other sports.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: