RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Milestone upcoming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: 03/15/18 7:50 am    ::: Milestone upcoming Reply Reply with quote

This Friday at about 2 pm, the 2,000th game will be played. The tournament began in 1982 with 32 teams so there were 31 games that year. They had 40 teams in 1983, back to 32 for 1984 and 1985, then increased to 40 teams in 1986, up to 48 in 1989 and then to 64 teams in1994, where it has remained ever since. That means a total of 1992 games have been played through the 2017 tournament.

The eighth game of this year's tournament will mark the 2000th game of the NCAA Tournament. The four games tipping off at noon on Friday will bring the total to 1996, which means the fourth of the four games scheduled at 2 PM will constitute the 2000th game.
Those 2 pm games are:
• Liberty – Tennessee
• Drake – Texas A&M
• Elon – NC State
• Dayton-Marquette

Since the start times in the NCAA schedule are approximate, and the actual starting times are staggered by a few minutes, so we may have to wait until closer to game time to know which is the actual fourth game. Or perhaps the NCAA will make sure one of the game is delayed a few minutes so it can be designated as the eighth game of the day and the overall 2000th game..!!

Phil

PostPosted: 03/15/18 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, I read somewhere, but forgot where, that there had been 1988 games played prior to this years tournament. When I counted, I got 1992.

My guess is that the differnce is the 1983 year, when they had 36 teams in a traditional 32 game format plus four "play-in" games. They didn't use that term. I don't know any reason why those would not be considered NCAA Tournament games. I'm not sure whether whomever came up with 1988 just missed those four, or deliberately excluded them for some reason.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/15/18 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should be the TN/Liberty game that gets 2,000.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Phil

PostPosted: 03/15/18 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I should be the TN/Liberty game that gets 2,000.

If I had the ability to affect the schedule, that's what I would choose.

The only team to appear in every tournament.

Wouldn't be hard, just have the other three tip off at 2PM, and let the TN game tip at 2:05

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the 2000th game should be the game that ends last. It really doesn't count until the game is over.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/15/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I think the 2000th game should be the game that ends last. It really doesn't count until the game is over.

I thought about that but I rejected it.

Here's my rationale:

In 1982, when the NCAA tournaments started, I don't know which game started first, but presumably one of the east coast games. If the start times weren't identical, I can imagine an announcer at the game with the first tipoff making a statement something like "This is an historic event - the very first NCAA women Basketball tourament game."

I think it would have been odd if the other announcer said "Well we won't know that until the game is over. If this one goes long, it might be another game"

I understand your rationale, as I said, I considered it, but I think the start time is more relevant.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/18 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good point.

But they didn't celebrate Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gehrig's record until the fifth inning, so it could go either way.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/15/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Good point.

But they didn't celebrate Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gehrig's record until the fifth inning, so it could go either way.

Basketball games don't get rained out as often as baseball games

PostPosted: 03/15/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Good point.

Good point.

(I didn't know that about Ripkin, but makes sense.)

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/15/18 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Good point.

Unless you're the Mystics.

(now with spelling variations)
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/15/18 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Good point.

Unless you're the Mystics.

And Fever.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: