RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

tv schedule
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/13/18 8:02 pm    ::: tv schedule Reply Reply with quote

Anybody know if the games will at least be on ESPN3 or will our only choice be to be tortured by "wrap-around" which always features the least interesting games. For instance I see that Friday morning the Louisville- Boise St is featured on ESPN, while all three other games, any one of which would be more interesting than Louisville slaughtering a 16, will be vying for time on ESPN2. Not only that, it looks like the Louisville game will be the ONLY game of the first round featured on ESPN so we can guess that we will primarily be treated to the #1's and #2's slaughtering their opponents. Oh boy!

- Amanda Gorman
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/13/18 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The games are currently listed for ESPN3.

My guide also shows them on ESPN College Extra, although it is unclear if they are unblocked or only going to be available locally, but that could be good news for DirecTV/UVerse/FIOS/Spectrum customers.
Coyotes

PostPosted: 03/13/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

My guide also shows them on ESPN College Extra, although it is unclear if they are unblocked or only going to be available locally, but that could be good news for DirecTV/UVerse/FIOS/Spectrum customers.

Thank heck I moved to Denver which is outside of every single media market of teams playing. Laughing

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/13/18 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the past, they've pretty much always just protected a small portion of the state of Wisconsin for the UW-Green Bay games. But I'm pleasantly surprised to see that they are protecting the whole state for that game unlike the really small part of the state for the Marquette game - oh well at least I am in that small area and get to see that game Smile.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/13/18 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since I subscribe to all the ESPN stations on my cable I get Watch ESPN on both my AmazonFireStick and my Roku. The picture is just as sharp and I can watch any game I want from start to finish. The only thing I miss from the old ESPN3 player on my laptop is the spit screen option where I could watch 4 games at a time, but actually that got confusing at times.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/13/18 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

I can confirm the games are listed on DirecTV Ch.s 788-791.

PostPosted: 03/14/18 4:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

But sometimes, it will tell you that you have to subscribe for them. Usually after the games start.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/14/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

But sometimes, it will tell you that you have to subscribe for them. Usually after the games start.

I believe you must subscribe to the Sport Pack, which can cost from $10-13/month.

Great value, imo, during the WCB season.

PostPosted: 03/14/18 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Thank heck I moved to Denver which is outside of every single media market of teams playing. Laughing

Don't bet on it. I'm way the heck away from any teams and still get blacked out. Sometimes it seems like they black out huge regions. You could be 1000 + miles away and still get blacked out.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/14/18 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Usually games that are televised on ESPN/2/U aren't streamed on WatchESPN until the game is over and the footage archived. I hope this isn't the case for every televised game being subjected to whip-around coverage.

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/14/18 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Usually games that are televised on ESPN/2/U aren't streamed on WatchESPN until the game is over and the footage archived. I hope this isn't the case for every televised game being subjected to whip-around coverage.
I checked and "Watch ESPN" has them scheduled as live games. But we shall see. Hope I will finally get some use out of my Fire TV.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/14/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a link to the maps for those who have not seen them:
https://espnmediazone.com/us/ncaa-basketball-tournament-maps/

If you want more printable ones, you can use these:
https://txmgv24xack1i8jje2nayxpr-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/us/files/2018/03/3-16-Friday-1st-Rd-Womens-Tourney-1.pdf
https://txmgv24xack1i8jje2nayxpr-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/us/files/2018/03/3-17-Saturday-1st-Rd-Womens-Tourney-1.pdf

cthskzfn wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

We can't tell right now whether it will be open outside of the exclusive regional areas. Unlike cable, DirecTV can't automatically connect everyone to their local ESPN2 version so they historically have carried all four games on separate feeds and unblocked ones in the regions that ESPN has set as exclusive zones. If someone with Spectrum Cable sees it in their guide, that might be better news.
bballgrl

PostPosted: 03/17/18 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of the games were on Directv ch 788-791. When I put it on one of the channels at the start of a game nothing came up. I called Directv and was told those channels were in the Sports pack and it was free for 6 months, she also said they would automately drop off after 6 months. Don't know when the 6 months started, was too excited to ask. I got to watch all the games. That whip around on espn was a joke as they showed almost if not all of the game they picked.

I am in Ohio but I guess it is the same everywhere. It may require a call to get the Sports Pack if it doesn't automatically come in. Just wanted to inform those who might not be aware.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/17/18 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I looked at the schedule of tomorrow's 8 games. Five of them are obviously not going to be "whip around" since they are either at different times or, in the case of overlap, on different channels.

Three of them are on at the same time, all listed as "ESPN2."

The five that have their own slot all have either a #1 or #2 seed playing. The three that are all on at the same time are either #4/#5 or #3/#6 seed games, which are more likely to be close and/or upsets.

Because you know, that makes sense.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/18/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well it looks like ESPN is missing out on a a great opportunity to show three great games in this time slot. All three games are within 8-12 points and in two of them, the lower seeded team is on on the higher seed.

Couldn't they have moved one of these games to the 12:00 slot and then they could have at least had one on ESPN2 and hopefully if someone wanted to watch the other game they could do it on WatchESPN?

Also, the Purdue-BSU NIT game is close.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/18/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
I looked at the schedule of tomorrow's 8 games. Five of them are obviously not going to be "whip around" since they are either at different times or, in the case of overlap, on different channels.

The five that have their own slot all have either a #1 or #2 seed playing. The three that are all on at the same time are either #4/#5 or #3/#6 seed games, which are more likely to be close and/or upsets.

ESPN has always believed that people only watch women's college basketball when the top teams are playing. They have little interest in showing competitive games between 2 good teams, which is what I believe most of us on this board would like to see. Unfortunately, the TV ratings seem to support ESPN's thinking, and while it may be self-fulfilling prophecy in some cases I am afraid we are stuck with it until the ratings change.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 03/19/18 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

ESPN has always believed that people only watch women's college basketball when the top teams are playing. They have little interest in showing competitive games between 2 good teams, which is what I believe most of us on this board would like to see. Unfortunately, the TV ratings seem to support ESPN's thinking, and while it may be self-fulfilling prophecy in some cases I am afraid we are stuck with it until the ratings change.

Taking a pragmatic approach to this issue, the demand just isn't there. They are competing with the men's tournament. There have been several underdog stories on the mens' side that are compelling enough to be in a movie (the Retrievers, Sister Jean, etc.). There is none of that going on in the women's tournament. At least not this early on. How long was the thread on this board about having less teams in the women's tournament?

Let's face it, the field of 64 just isn't that exciting on the women's side. MAYBE when we get to the Elite 8 (but likely not until the Final Four) there will be some buzz. I'll admit... I haven't watched any of the tournament other than the UConn game so far. And it ended up being the only game that was newsworthy. So I feel like I missed nothing. The 8-9 games... not exciting. Our brackets on the ESPN board... they mean nothing. Bragging rights on RebKell. Whoop-de-doo. People have real money on the men's side. Upsets are happening there. The stands are reasonably full.

Meanwhile, on this side, nothing. There will be better ratings tonight because there is no direct competition. If I'm an advertiser, my dollars are not going towards South Dakota State vs Villanova, or Green Bay vs Minnesota.

As much as I'm not a fan of ESPN lately, they are going about their coverage in the absolute best way possible. Whiparound coverage on the networks with the option to stream a dedicated game on ESPN 3. Everyone is happy this way. Honestly, who on God's green Earth isn't streaming the games these days anyways? These threads are pointless in 2018 when you can pick your game and watch it from start to finish.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/19/18 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Texas A&M comeback/Carter's 2nd half performance were very newsworthy, imo.

PostPosted: 03/19/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

I've been making this exact point to some of my friends.

As a thought experiment, suppose you were given the task of scheduling 8 games, with seven potential timeslots (Noon, 2PM, 4PM, 6PM, 8PM, 9PM, 10PM) and your goal was to minimize viewership.

You might notice that five of the eight games have one team expected to win with a probability in the 90s. Make sure all viewers can see any or all parts of those games. Schedule them in five of the available time slots.

Now notice you've got three potential close games, two of which are 4-5 matchups and one of which is a 3-6 matchup but including Tennessee always a viewership draw.

Make sure to schedule all of those games at exactly the same time.

Now you've scheduled for 6 of the 7 time slots so don't bother scheduling anything at the 4 PM timeslot.

If they had tried, I don't think they could be have done a better job at minimizing viewer interest.

As a bonus, when the Oregon state Tennessee game is getting close to an historic outcome, make sure to cut away to another game and never return. That'll please the fans!

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 03/19/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN and other media outlets slip up by not always posting the time zone for games. Sometimes I get PT, but not always, and ET often is unlabelled.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/18 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have Apple TV so I can do a multicast, which is palatable. It worked better for the first round than the second.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we just subscribed to YouTube TV & get ESPN & ESPN2 included. we also have Roku, so I just loaded the ESPN app & then could watch ALL the ESPN channels. unfortunately, I didn't know that the first round & missed seeing the UB women. but saw the entire 2nd game & am anxious to see them on Saturday against SC.

GO, BULLS!

i must say that YouTube TV is the closest to ala carte i've found for stations that we would actually watch. and you have unlimited cloud storage included, too!

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
we just subscribed to YouTube TV & get ESPN & ESPN2 included. we also have Roku, so I just loaded the ESPN app & then could watch ALL the ESPN channels. unfortunately, I didn't know that the first round & missed seeing the UB women. but saw the entire 2nd game & am anxious to see them on Saturday against SC.

GO, BULLS!

i must say that YouTube TV is the closest to ala carte i've found for stations that we would actually watch. and you have unlimited cloud storage included, too!

Agreed i had to get Sling TV ala carte , its actually been serviceable . 7 day free trial then 25.00 a month .

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does $25/mo include DVR, or do you have some added package? $20/mo is the base price.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/21/18 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Does $25/mo include DVR, or do you have some added package? $20/mo is the base price.

You can include the DVR but all channels do not support the DVR feature. I chose not to include it , but i did add the sports package for 5.00 a month which brought my bill to 25.00 ESPN3 is included so all the games are archived and available to watch at anytime cancelling out the need for the DVR.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: