Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/06/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
That's a curious trade, unless the Lynx think Whalen is about to retire

You don’t think she’d be able to fill in the Montgomery role? She ended up playing backup for Ferocious Little Bunny. She should be able to do it for Whay.

I need time to process this.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/06/18 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Wtf Lynx d-rob looks closer to retirement than whay does!!!

Perkins retired, so by law the Lynx need to replace her with another former San Antonio Star vet. Very Happy

Shades

PostPosted: 03/06/18 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure the Lynx will train and expect Lonely DRob to shoot the three. Watch for her to hit her first WNBA three this season.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Seriously? Wow. Not a fan of a robinson.

Really? I've always enjoyed her game. But I have a thing for speedy guards with a good eye for teammates.

I think her ability to slash will open up the floor for the Lynx's outstanding midrange shooters, and free up Fowles from doubles.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Really? I've always enjoyed her game. But I have a thing for speedy guards with a good eye for teammates.

I think her ability to slash will open up the floor for the Lynx's outstanding midrange shooters, and free up Fowles from doubles.

I wish she could hit 3s. Maybe I just miss Montgomery.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Wtf Lynx d-rob looks closer to retirement than whay does!!!

Perkins retired, so by law the Lynx need to replace her with another former San Antonio Star vet. Very Happy

Unsubstantiated rumor of a signing. Nothing dire. I think they did pretty well restocking that bench with players Reeve would use.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

I wish she could hit 3s. Maybe I just miss Montgomery.

See in my eyes Jones is there to fill the Montgomery role, and D-Rob provides a different twist. Her speed and defense, provided she continues to improve after her injury, will provide an element the Lynx have actually been lacking in recent years. Remember how much the Lynx struggled against young, speedy guards that ran circles around Whalen and Montgomery.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

How much of her slashing ability did she retain after Achilles surgery? Wiggins used to be a slasher until her Achilles surgery, and her career went on the decline ever since.

What’s odd about the trade is the Lynx’s emphasis on three point shooting for everyone including the PG. That’s why they got the new shooting machine. DRob doesn’t fit in with this new emphasis on three point shooting, but I expect she’ll work on it.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
justintyme wrote:

How much of her slashing ability did she retain after Achilles surgery? Wiggins used to be a slasher until her Achilles surgery, and her career went on the decline ever since.

That is definitely a risk. But on the flip side, it also demonstrates why we shouldn't weigh her performance last year too heavily. Tendon injuries take a lot of time to recover from. Especially mentally. Could she follow the Wiggins model? Absolutely. But she could also follow the model of numerous other players who recovered fully after a couple years.

Worst case scenario is that she becomes a defensive sub with above average handle and passing ability. Best case scenario is we just added another all-star who was having her name thrown around at one time for a spot on the national team.

While it would have been nice to see who was available at 12, that is a huge risk that could easily backfire.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Lynx will basically have this for 2018 unless another trade comes about.

PG: Whalen/Robinson
SG: Augustus/Jones
SF: Moore/Zandalasini
PF: Brunson/Kizer/Miyem
C: Fowles/Fagbenle

That bench took a big step backwards. Oh wait, they also have Breanna Richardson.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

That bench took a big step backwards. Oh wait, they also have Breanna Richardson.

Meh, I wouldn't call it a big step backwards. The loss of Howard hurts, but could be minimized by progression by Fagbenle, or Miyem translating her game well.

But they improved over Pierson and Perkins with Kizer and D-Rob, and if Jones takes the next step they could even have improved over Monty.

It's not as good offensively but stronger on defense, imo.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Meh, I wouldn't call it a big step backwards. The loss of Howard hurts, but could be minimized by progression by Fagbenle, or Miyem translating her game well.

But they improved over Pierson and Perkins with Kizer and D-Rob, and if Jones takes the next step they could even have improved over Monty.

It's not as good offensively but stronger on defense, imo.

I’m not seeing stronger defense. DRob used to be leader in taking charges, but we don’t have updated data on that. Montgomery was a decent ball hawk. Keizer is a definite downgrade defensively from Pierson (Reeve herself isn’t sure about Kizer’s defense). Miyem is an unknown quantity.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/06/18 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s a Voepel article that focuses on DRob mid-season last year.

Danielle Robinson finds the right fit in first season in Phoenix

Quote:
So this is a very important week to try to solidify all the things that have been going right of late for Phoenix. And "DRob" is one of them. She had 10 points and six assists Sunday in the Mercury's 81-69 victory over New York.

Quote:
"She's everything I envisioned," Mercury coach Sandy Brondello said. "She brings another dimension to our defense; she's very fast. It helps."

Quote:
In March 2016, she had Achilles surgery and sat out all of last WNBA season rehabbing. And now?

"The pain is gone," she said, grinning. "I honestly feel like I'm 18 again."

She didn’t have the full Achilles rupture like Wiggins, if it makes a difference.

Quote:
Robinson, who in 2011 was drafted No. 6 by San Antonio, still has a house, friends and a church family there.

She fits in with the Lynx in that regard.

Quote:
But from a playing standpoint, Robinson is very happy she's in Phoenix.

"I'm where I'm supposed to be at this point in my career," Robinson said. "It's a dream to play with somebody like Dee.

Go with the flow, I guess.

Quote:
Before her surgery, Robinson was told she might see a bit of her speed diminish, depending on how rehab went.

"So I took it as a challenge, like, 'I'm not going to lose any of my quickness,'" Robinson said. "I worked really hard in rehab, but took my time. There was no rush to get back.

Quote:
"She's probably still not as aggressive as I'd like her to be, but that will come," Brondello said. "She can push us, and that's what we need her to do."

adamj95

PostPosted: 03/08/18 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems unnecessary now with Jones and and now Robinson on the roster but is Cruz coming over this season?

PostPosted: 03/13/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Lynx have signed veteran guard Tanisha Wright. Wright, out of the WNBA last summer -- she spent the fall and winter as assistant coach at UNC-Charlotte -- is one of the league's best-ever defenders.

https://twitter.com/bloodstrib/status/973577014631452672?s=21

PostPosted: 03/13/18 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Quote:
Lynx have signed veteran guard Tanisha Wright. Wright, out of the WNBA last summer -- she spent the fall and winter as assistant coach at UNC-Charlotte -- is one of the league's best-ever defenders.

https://twitter.com/bloodstrib/status/973577014631452672?s=21

WOW! Really thought she'd retire. Does she have anything left?

Kind of forces Jones out of a job.

SG: Augustus/Wright

adamj95

PostPosted: 03/13/18 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jones is still on the team. I believe the team can go with 12 this year.

http://m.startribune.com/lynx-sign-retired-former-wnba-star-tanisha-wright/476679453/

Quote:
”Tanisha has been a consummate utility player,’’ Reeve said. “Whatever we’ll need, she’ll be able to do, whether that means playing behind [Seimone] Augustus, or helping out at point guard. I could see, at times, having a three-guard lineup of Robinson, [Alexix Jones] and Tanisha together.’’

PostPosted: 03/13/18 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:

http://m.startribune.com/lynx-sign-retired-former-wnba-star-tanisha-wright/476679453/

Quote:
”Tanisha has been a consummate utility player,’’ Reeve said. “Whatever we’ll need, she’ll be able to do, whether that means playing behind [Seimone] Augustus, or helping out at point guard. I could see, at times, having a three-guard lineup of Robinson, [Alexix Jones] and Tanisha together.’’

I hope they can stick with 12 and keep Jones. Would suck for Jones to lose out on a job to both Robinson & Wright(35 years old).

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/13/18 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:

Quote:

They can and that was the plan. It was why they couldn't afford Howard - they absolutely wanted to carry 12 this year.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/13/18 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Jones isn't going anywhere. The question is how many minutes Reeve will find for her now that there are veteran options available to go with instead.

PostPosted: 03/13/18 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, Jones isn't going anywhere. The question is how many minutes Reeve will find for her now that there are veteran options available to go with instead.

Jones can also be insurance if Robinson and/or Wright get injured. Considering Wright's age & Robinson's history, Jones might actually get some solid playing time. Wright, in 2016 with New York, averaged only 23 mpg.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/13/18 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Quote:

I hope they can stick with 12 and keep Jones. Would suck for Jones to lose out on a job to both Robinson & Wright(35 years old).

I think jones is safe , especially after her finals performance last season and heck if shes not im pretty sure there's enough interest there for another team to pick her up immediately . Reeve seems to like Alexis so i dont think she gets moved .

PostPosted: 03/13/18 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the move a lot. She was one of the guards I thought the Lynx should target when we were discussing it earlier in the thread. An excellent veteran defensive sub off the bench with the ability to put up some points as well. Perfect for a 20-25 minute per game player.

PostPosted: 03/13/18 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I like this one too. It's dependent on her being in shape, but the player that was in New York for a couple of years would be very useful for Minnesota. It's something of a combo of what Perkins and Montgomery offered - a veteran hand who knows what they're supposed to be doing at any moment, and a player who can run the offense (and likely still a better defender than either, even if she has lost a step).

The fact that I knew this was supposed to be coming was part of why I didn't like the Robinson trade. They already had the veteran lead-guard option behind Whalen, in case Reeve refused to let Jones be the primary backup PG (which always seemed inevitable). Given that, I'd rather have taken my chances of something useful being left at #12.

PostPosted: 03/13/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

She went from first guard off the bench to 5th guard in short order.

Quote:
That would mean the 5-11, 34-year-old Wright would guard at the forward position, something she can do. Reeve compared Wright to Rebekkah Brunson in her ability to guard bigger players.

Guarding forward would be so rare, it’s not really worth discussing.
You know who else defends bigger players... Matee Ajavon. Remember when she was defending Glory Johnson and a fight almost broke out?

With Reeve talking about playing small with Wright at forward, she’s not showing a ton of confidence in this player she had to have in Zandalasini. Her and Jones amount to insurance policies now. Not a surprise, was expected she’d want more vets. Same old Reeve.

That said, I think it’s a good move if Wright still has it in the tank. I hope she doesn’t become the next Tan White.... disappointment combined with thinking about could have been with a younger player (Sugar Rodgers). Tan White and Tanisha Wright have the same initials. With Reeve being so superstitious, if she reads this, it’s going to mess with her head. “Oh no, what I have done?”

The saddest thing is it sure looks like the Lynx won’t be drafting at guard this season (no Carlie Wagner unless nobody else drafts her and they pick her up at #36). I could see them drafting Wallace as a deferred pick. I hope Miyem’s contract isn’t guaranteed because she’s now the most bubble player on the team. She hasn’t been very good from what I’ve seen. Draft best post player available at #17. Draft Wallace or maybe a foreign flyer like Musina at #24. Draft Wagner or another foreign flyer at #36. We done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 12 of 26

Jump to: