RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

WNBA Draft 2018 (April 12th)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49470



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Draft to be held at the new Nike headquarters in New York. Draft not open to the public.

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-draft-2018-presented-state-farm-held-april-12-new-york/


It’s part of their new partnership with Nike, and of course Borders is thrilled with this new venue. They’re holding it in an indoor basketball court so at least it should be spacious enough.




_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Draft to be held at the new Nike headquarters in New York. Draft not open to the public.

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-draft-2018-presented-state-farm-held-april-12-new-york/


Whats the point of closing it off to the public ? Rolling Eyes



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17684



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Draft to be held at the new Nike headquarters in New York. Draft not open to the public.

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-draft-2018-presented-state-farm-held-april-12-new-york/


Whats the point of closing it off to the public ? Rolling Eyes


my thoughts exactly. There clearly seems to be enough space to even have a limited amount of people to attend from the public(~500).




_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8654



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they were afraid Liberty fans would show up in force and hold ESPN, Border and the draftees hostage until they got Dolan's head on a platter.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49470



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They should have held it at Westchester to show off the new venue.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 03/12/18 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17684



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
They should of held it at Westchester to show off the new venue.


Hahahahahah!!!!



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8654



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is probably the best way to avoid any ugly mob scene of Liberty fans who might be picketing or burning Dolan in effigy on draft night.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Supposedly that court has seating for 400 spectators. It would have killed them to open it to the public? SMH.

I've had the privilege to be in the room where it happens, or at least the room where it's announced, four times, and each time has been an entirely different kind of magic. Every fan should get to experience that. It bothers me that a league that was built so much on approachability is fencing itself off more and more.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 3535
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
That is probably the best way to avoid any ugly mob scene of Liberty fans who might be picketing or burning Dolan in effigy on draft night.


The WNBA is probably preparing for the near future for when all WNBA games will be closed to the public. Surprised


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8654



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great idea SpaceJunkie. Maybe they will do it like a TV game show, or comedy where they have a live studio audience of a hundred people or so to create the crowd noise on command.


Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20715
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"This episode of WNBA League Pass was filmed in front of a live studio audience."



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/18 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Supposedly that court has seating for 400 spectators. It would have killed them to open it to the public? SMH.

I've had the privilege to be in the room where it happens, or at least the room where it's announced, four times, and each time has been an entirely different kind of magic. Every fan should get to experience that. It bothers me that a league that was built so much on approachability is fencing itself off more and more.


Actually, IMO the league started to splinter into an upper and lower class under Laurel Richie. The local teams are expected to be approachable and fan-friendly. But the league office is executive country, manned by business people to whom only money and status matters. Creating this sort of VIP-only event is similar to what much of the All-Star experience is now.The just assume that the committed fans will plunk down multiple thousands for seats and merchandise. They do little besides assigning you a new-to-the-biz customer rep every couple of years (because the old one leaves) and maybe have 3 or 4 giveaway nights. So, yes, it doesn't surprise me one bit.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/18 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Supposedly that court has seating for 400 spectators. It would have killed them to open it to the public? SMH.

I've had the privilege to be in the room where it happens, or at least the room where it's announced, four times, and each time has been an entirely different kind of magic. Every fan should get to experience that. It bothers me that a league that was built so much on approachability is fencing itself off more and more.


Actually, IMO the league started to splinter into an upper and lower class under Laurel Richie. The local teams are expected to be approachable and fan-friendly. But the league office is executive country, manned by business people to whom only money and status matters. Creating this sort of VIP-only event is similar to what much of the All-Star experience is now.The just assume that the committed fans will plunk down multiple thousands for seats and merchandise. They do little besides assigning you a new-to-the-biz customer rep every couple of years (because the old one leaves) and maybe have 3 or 4 giveaway nights. So, yes, it doesn't surprise me one bit.


Yeah, I miss some of the early All-Star stuff too. And I feel you on the customer service reps, though that's a team problem more than a league problem. I think we've been through half a dozen.

I think the league's got to step back and ask itself what it wants to be. Does it want to be the women's NBA, with all the glitz, and glamour, and ever-so-professional distance that implies? Or does the league want to try to be something different, something closer to earth and closer to reality? Or is there a middle ground, where we can have some of the shiny veneer but still keep some of the closeness and realness that drew so many fans here in the first place?



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/18 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Supposedly that court has seating for 400 spectators. It would have killed them to open it to the public? SMH.

I've had the privilege to be in the room where it happens, or at least the room where it's announced, four times, and each time has been an entirely different kind of magic. Every fan should get to experience that. It bothers me that a league that was built so much on approachability is fencing itself off more and more.


Actually, IMO the league started to splinter into an upper and lower class under Laurel Richie. The local teams are expected to be approachable and fan-friendly. But the league office is executive country, manned by business people to whom only money and status matters. Creating this sort of VIP-only event is similar to what much of the All-Star experience is now.The just assume that the committed fans will plunk down multiple thousands for seats and merchandise. They do little besides assigning you a new-to-the-biz customer rep every couple of years (because the old one leaves) and maybe have 3 or 4 giveaway nights. So, yes, it doesn't surprise me one bit.


Yeah, I miss some of the early All-Star stuff too. And I feel you on the customer service reps, though that's a team problem more than a league problem. I think we've been through half a dozen.

I think the league's got to step back and ask itself what it wants to be. Does it want to be the women's NBA, with all the glitz, and glamour, and ever-so-professional distance that implies? Or does the league want to try to be something different, something closer to earth and closer to reality? Or is there a middle ground, where we can have some of the shiny veneer but still keep some of the closeness and realness that drew so many fans here in the first place?


The league has to recognize that it needs to act differently from the NBA. For example, ever notice that the press manages to break a trade or story days before it is officially announced? That's for two reasons: 1) the media members are not passive and actively chase people for news and 2) the teams LEAK INFO as sources. The WNBA is lucky if they have one local writer who they can reach out to for a story. And, they are completely tight-lipped about most things so that we rarely get any information until they actually release it. The result is that they can carefully control the image, I suppose, but it leaves a lot of dead news days with little for the actual sports fans to talk about. It's definitely not like the NBA where we can already talk about upcoming seasons. Who has opt-out clauses in their contracts, what can each team afford, etc.

Is the WNBA a sports league or an entertainment league whose entertainment is a basketball game? Because right now it's the latter to me.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9319



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Defining the WNBA has been an issue from the start, really ...

Some have seen it as a cause.

Some have seen it as a potential major sport, the premier women's sports league in the world.

Some see it as a niche sport that is best viewed in smaller venues.

Some see it as the best women's basketball league in the world, and thus one that should be played in NBA and other large arenas.

Most see it as a mixture of several of these concepts, but I think the point made upthread is valid: Defining the league will, in essence, define its goals, and thus make it clearer what path to take.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5837



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/18/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two biggest hurdles are:

1.. Most women don't play or like basketball.
2.. Most men aren't currently attracted to women's basketball or biologically attracted to most of the women players.

So, how does one overcome these hurdles?

a.. Definitely not by how the WNBA has been run.
b.. WNBA executives and employees must be more available and open to conversation, questions and interactions.
c.. WNBA Drafts should be open to the public or at least fans.
d.. To get women to come to the games, one must encourage interest of the children in women's basketball.
e.. To get men, women and children more attracted to women's basketball rid the mostly fake photos and images of the players as being bad asses with mean faces and mean spirits.
f.. Recruit or have the "so called" women's advocates with popularity, fame and money step forward, i.e., Oprah, Hillary, Beyonce, younger Hollywood celebrities and pop stars etc. Where are they?
e.. The players need to step up and get more involved in helping to promote the game and their teams. It's not just the owners or WNBA executives responsibility to grow and nurture a struggling business. It takes hard work and time by everyone including the fans.
f.. Create a more family atmosphere, i.e., have some of the willing players interact and converse with their children publicly and in the media so there becomes an attraction to the game, players and children.
g.. The players need to be more open into their lives. To gain an attraction to players one has to get to know them or learn things about them.
h.. Ensure that all ticket reps and greeters are educated and trained in customer service and are helpful and friendly.
i.. Clean up the players. Most women don't want to be exposed or have their children exposed to blue hair, tons of tattoos, nose rings, gangster looks etc. Model after the Connecticut program and players.
j.. Clean up the language on the floor by the players and coaches.
k.. Try to get the NBA more involved financially and promotionally. With all the money taken in by the NBA, they can easily step in to make the game more attractive and financially better.
l.. The WNBA definitely needs to provide more information, timely information and continued information during the women's basketball season and all year.
m.. The WNBA definitely needs to promote their players during the off season to inform and educate the fans as to the players off-season ventures and accomplishments.
l. Etc., Etc., Etc...




Last edited by RavenDog on 03/18/18 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/24/18 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:
That is probably the best way to avoid any ugly mob scene of Liberty fans who might be picketing or burning Dolan in effigy on draft night.


The WNBA is probably preparing for the near future for when all WNBA games will be closed to the public. :o


And the Mystics would still announce a crowd of 9000.


willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 535
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of all sell the sport for what it is and quite trying to mimic what the NBA uses as a selling point. The Women can not compete in those areas so they shouldn't even try. Like making a big deal out of dunks. Last time I checked dunks only counted as two points. Actually most of us that watch the women's game do so because they do not promote flash at the expense of substance that the game of basketball once was.


Aladyyn



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 1173
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Most of all sell the sport for what it is and quite trying to mimic what the NBA uses as a selling point. The Women can not compete in those areas so they shouldn't even try. Like making a big deal out of dunks. Last time I checked dunks only counted as two points. Actually most of us that watch the women's game do so because they do not promote flash at the expense of substance that the game of basketball once was.

PREEEEEEEEEEEACH.


Stuff like this is honestly embarrassing.


toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17684



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/18 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Locks to get invited to the draft? Last year only saw 10 invites & 2016 saw only 12. Considering the depth of this year's draft, there should be 15 or 16 invites.

Locks:
Wilson
Stevens
Mitchell
G. Williams
DeShields
Vivians
Canada
L. Brown
Nurse
Russell
Billings

Possible invite:
Mavunga
Gulich
Hines-Allen
Atkins
J. Barta
M. William
Nared



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jimmyk



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 4004
Location: Bristol. TN


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/18 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My first alma mater has someone who wants in. Go Bucs!

ETSU's Tianna Tarter sets her sights on the upcoming WNBA draft


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23318



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/18 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Toad's top 9 are clear invites. After that it will be a coin toss.
Will Diamond be in the States? I thought her team in Turkey was still playing.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 20715
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/18 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the Turkish season is a long way from over. Unless Cukurova allow her to make a special trip back for it, DeShields will presumably not be at the draft.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 18833



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/18 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top 12 Draft Prospects from the Storm website, including some highlights & stats for each

http://storm.wnba.com/news/top-12-wnba-draft-prospects-of-2018/


Quote:
A’JA WILSON

Let’s get straight to the point – Wilson is bound to be a premier post in the WNBA. As a junior in 2016-17, the 6-5 lefty led South Carolina to its first NCAA championship, and, during her senior season, collected nearly every national award, including – Citizen Naismith Women’s Player of the Year, Lisa Leslie Award, SEC Defensive Player of the Year (second time), SEC Player of the Year (third time) and Associated Press (AP) National Player of the Year. After cashing in 2,389 points and 1,195 rebounds during her illustrious career at South Carolina, it’s no secret why the AP and panel of WNBA coaches and general managers tabbed Wilson as the top pick in this year’s draft.

Position: Center
Height: 6-5
College: South Carolina
2017-18 stats: 22.6 PPG, 11.8 RPG, 54.2 FG%

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MNn6oPSV5Xo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17184
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Top 12 Draft Prospects from the Storm website, including some highlights & stats for each

http://storm.wnba.com/news/top-12-wnba-draft-prospects-of-2018/


Some of the positions listed - especially for Gabby Williams and Azura Stevens - are a little suspect, but it is a good summary of the perceived top prospects, with highlights to boot.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin