RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trades: Danielle Robinson to Lynx, Briann January to Phoenix
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/10/18 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Taurasi can shoot, so why is that a bad fit? Get the ball to Taurasi. Get the ball to Griner. Why is she a better fit for Minnesota, because she’ll have lesser competition for a spot? Everybody wants a PG who can shoot the three. That shouldn’t be any different for the Lynx.

Because you maximize the talents of a player like Taurasi by surrounding her with players who can play off the ball, who can catch and shoot. Mitchell can, Robinson can't.

There's a perfectly valid way to build a team in which Danielle Robinson is going to be a much more valuable point guard than Lelani Mitchell, but that team isn't going to have Diana Taurasi on it, or anyone who plays like her. You maximize a point guard like Robinson by surrounding her with players who are high-energy, high-effort, high-"BBIQ" types, but who can't necessarily create their own shot. Granted, that last part doesn't describe Minnesota, either, but Minnesota's offense appears to rely on the point guard attacking the basket and making something happen much more so than Phoenix's does, and Robinson is better at that than she is spotting up from the three-point line.

Quote:
[Mitchell] arguably had the best season of her career. She can shoot the three, set screens with the best of them, great defense for her size. Wasn’t intimidated by the likes of Alyssa Thomas making those basket to basket drives. She just outplayed DRob for her spot and that’s all there’s to it. So if talent isn’t in Mitchell’s favor like you say than I guess you have to cite DRob’s lack of desire... which isn’t exactly a great quality. How’s that saying go? ”Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard".

Not sure why you think that Mitchell having what you would consider to have arguably been a career year, in her ninth season, refutes my argument that she's not as talented as Robinson, but sure. I won't dispute your point about Mitchell working harder/outplaying Robinson, but hard work is a skill, not a talent. I'll stipulate that some of this is semantic nitpickery but, in case I didn't make it clear in the Swoopes/Moore thread, I'm here for that.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/10/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
There's a perfectly valid way to build a team in which Danielle Robinson is going to be a much more valuable point guard than Lelani Mitchell, but that team isn't going to have Diana Taurasi on it, or anyone who plays like her. You maximize a point guard like Robinson by surrounding her with players who are high-energy, high-effort, high-"BBIQ" types, but who can't necessarily create their own shot. Granted, that last part doesn't describe Minnesota, either, but Minnesota's offense appears to rely on the point guard attacking the basket and making something happen much more so than Phoenix's does, and Robinson is better at that than she is spotting up from the three-point line.

Although in fairness, Robinson had her most succesful seasons playing alongside Becky Hammon - who liked to create with the ball in her hands and shoot a lot from outside. So it can work. Either Robinson just wasn't that player any more last season, or Brondello has less of a clue how to make it work than Dan Hughes did.

PostPosted: 03/11/18 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My two cents on Robinson is that she looked a step slower last season. I wear my heart on my sleeve during Liberty games and her speed and quickness used to be pretty intimidating. She could penetrate and kick out with ease. She could pull up from midrange with her speed backing you up and nail an open 15 footer. I didn't see as much of either of those things last year, and when NY played against her I was a lot less intimidated by her speed.

Perhaps another year removed from injury recovery might help some though.

PostPosted: 03/11/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Although in fairness, Robinson had her most succesful seasons playing alongside Becky Hammon - who liked to create with the ball in her hands and shoot a lot from outside. So it can work. Either Robinson just wasn't that player any more last season, or Brondello has less of a clue how to make it work than Dan Hughes did.

Huh. I guess my mileage varies: I never really thought of Hammon as a particularly proficient ball creator.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 03/11/18 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

January would have be a good replacement for Rennee if Lynx could have got her in a trade with Indy.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/11/18 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
January would have be a good replacement for Rennee if Lynx could have got her in a trade with Indy.

I would have preferred January, but I believe she’s going into her retiring close to home/easy access to her other job phase of her career.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/11/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

I would have preferred January, but I believe she’s going into her retiring close to home/easy access to her other job phase of her career.

Not to mention Phoenix parted with the #8 pick, which means the cost would have likely been more than the Lynx were willing to part with.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: