RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bubble buster results.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/07/18 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
linkster wrote:
The only ones who should be wishing to get in as a bubble are the coaches who have a bonus waiting. For the players and their fans the NIT is a much better option and opportunity.

NEVER! Making the NCAA Tournament is a bigger deal to me than making the Women's Nobody's Interested Tournament. Very Happy

I’d like to see linkster’s collection of player testimony that they’d rather play in the WNIT. Surprised

I can't wait for all the videos of bubble teams jumping for joy during the selection show when they don't see their name come up. Smile

yeah, but you can see them jumping for joy when they win the wnit.

I doubt it. Ever notice it’s the fans of the teams who never have been to the WNIT who think the WNIT is great. So they really shouldn’t be advising on how great it is.

Who cares about the WNIT? Does anybody but the fans of the teams who played in it remember who won it last year? Was it Michigan?

I've been to a couple of WNIT games and it was rocking. Some of the more 'rural' schools/smaller cities have great fan bases who really support their teams and it's a great atmosphere. Of course, the schools which don't have fans at any of their games also won't have fans at a WNIT game. But really if you're a 14 seed playing 1000 miles from home, how exciting is that atmosphere going to be for you? One and done and kinda who cares. Yeah, you get the 'wahoo' when your name comes up on Monday, but other than that what do you get?

- Amanda Gorman
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 03/08/18 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While our Yotes are definitely hoping for a not very likely NCAA invitation, it is more than likely that they will be a high seed in the WNIT. Yes, they won this tournament two years ago and went pretty deep last year, and yes they got more games that way. But every single one of them says they would give that up for one chance at the dance. They beat SDSU twice this year, including in Brookings, and they also beat Creighton, whom SDSU lost to, by the way.... The Yotes had a last-minute loss to Iowa State with one of our best players was on the bench. I know, not very likely, but we can still hope!

Richard 77

PostPosted: 03/08/18 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

March 29, 2000. Florida Gators at Wisconsin Badgers. Wisconsin defeats Florida 75-73 to win WNIT Championship. The Badgers still hold a WNIT record or two from that game. 18 years ago this March.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
leeshajo

PostPosted: 03/09/18 2:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
While our Yotes are definitely hoping for a not very likely NCAA invitation, it is more than likely that they will be a high seed in the WNIT. Yes, they won this tournament two years ago and went pretty deep last year, and yes they got more games that way. But every single one of them says they would give that up for one chance at the dance. They beat SDSU twice this year, including in Brookings, and they also beat Creighton, whom SDSU lost to, by the way.... The Yotes had a last-minute loss to Iowa State with one of our best players was on the bench. I know, not very likely, but we can still hope!

As an SDSU fan living in Yankton. I have seen USD play several times this year...not just against State... You deserve a bid. Anyone who had watched the Yotes play and can say there are 64 teams better in college wbb... Is blowing smoke.

PostPosted: 03/09/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
linkster wrote:
The only ones who should be wishing to get in as a bubble are the coaches who have a bonus waiting. For the players and their fans the NIT is a much better option and opportunity.

NEVER! Making the NCAA Tournament is a bigger deal to me than making the Women's Nobody's Interested Tournament. Very Happy

I’d like to see linkster’s collection of player testimony that they’d rather play in the WNIT. Surprised

I can't wait for all the videos of bubble teams jumping for joy during the selection show when they don't see their name come up. Smile

yeah, but you can see them jumping for joy when they win the wnit.

I doubt it. Ever notice it’s the fans of the teams who never have been to the WNIT who think the WNIT is great. So they really shouldn’t be advising on how great it is.

Who cares about the WNIT? Does anybody but the fans of the teams who played in it remember who won it last year? Was it Michigan?

I've been to a couple of WNIT games and it was rocking. Some of the more 'rural' schools/smaller cities have great fan bases who really support their teams and it's a great atmosphere. Of course, the schools which don't have fans at any of their games also won't have fans at a WNIT game. But really if you're a 14 seed playing 1000 miles from home, how exciting is that atmosphere going to be for you? One and done and kinda who cares. Yeah, you get the 'wahoo' when your name comes up on Monday, but other than that what do you get?

Queenie is SO right. Both the JMU-Radford and the JMU-UVA games were held in the Convo Center last year, and they were ROCKIN! Both opponents brought a large contingent of fans (neither one is that far away) plus pep bands and cheerleaders. JMU fans filled the rest of the house and of course our pep band is pretty legendary. It was just plain fun! The UVA game was, of course, particularly satisfying, as we got to send them home with a loss. Even the Villanova game brought a pretty good-sized contingent down from Philly, which was good to see. It was much better, in lots of ways, than having the Dukes sent way off somewhere to be a sacrificial lamb and not being able to see them except on TV, which was what happened the year before.

PostPosted: 03/09/18 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm so good I'm right even when I'm not talkin'. Wink

I can see it from both sides- going down to Maryland with Iona for their first trip to the Big Dance was magical, even if we knew they were going to get Terp-stomped. And I've had plenty of fun at WNIT games at St. John's, Seton Hall, and Fordham.

I think for a true one-bid conference, there's something to be said for conference pride, for being the one to carry the banner of the NEC or the WAC or the Big Sky into battle against the biggest names in the business. And there's something to be said for dreaming of being Marist, or Liberty, or Quinnipiac. You can't bust a bracket if you're not in it.

On the other hand- wait, how many hands have I used so far? Anyway. There's also something to be said for the maturity that can come from a deep WNIT run, simulating the Big Dance without, perhaps, some of the pressure. (I tag WNIT games as "Medium Dance" in my Game Notes of Doom, for whatever that's worth; conference tourneys are, of course, Little Dances.) I think that did a lot for the Oregon schools and for Michigan.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: