RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

First year coaches of interest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/08/18 3:18 am    ::: First year coaches of interest Reply Reply with quote

I figured since we're waiting for the selections to be done, we might discuss the new coaches in the various conferences who might seem to be good hires.

For instance, while it might not be obvious, I think that Kenny Brooks at Va Tech might do well. They only won 6 conference games, but that's the most they've won in over 10 years. While ND did end up beating them by 30 points, they seemed to me to play hard considering the talent differential. Plus they're actually going to return all their players (there is a senior listed on their roster, but she hasn't played at all this year). They even gave Louisville a scare in the ACCT!

Plus, he's picking up a Mabrey (Dara) next year.

So any other new coaches out there worth keeping an eye on?

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/08/18 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think James Howard did a pretty good job at Georgetown this year and they look to be heading in a promising direction.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/08/18 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams was selected as Big Ten Coach of the Year after guiding Nebraska to a 20-9 record and a third-place Big Ten finish at 11-5, as her squad has recorded 13 more wins overall (eight more during conference play) than a season ago. Williams’ selection is the third time a Husker coach has earned Big Ten Coach of the Year plaudits since Nebraska joined the conference in 2011-12.

They played hard and where competitive every night.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/08/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Duffy.

Is Steph White considered a first year coach?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/08/18 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Yes, though the only interesting thing about her is how badly she's done

PostPosted: 03/08/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

No, year two.

BD22

PostPosted: 03/08/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait... are we doing first year coaches like the title says or second year? Because both Brooks and Williams are second year coaches (that both have done nice jobs).

If we are doing first year coaches, Duffy is a great one. Took a bad Miami (OH) team in a tough MAC conference all the way to 4th place in her first season in Oxford.

Bart Brooks at Belmont is also worth mentioning. While he took over a great program, I often think that it almost harder to come in after someone who has been successful because anything you do can be thought of as, "we never did that before and we won, so why are we doing this now?" So credit to him as well. Same goes to Brooke Atkinson at New Mexico State.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/08/18 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry I thought Williams was a first year coach..

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/08/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:

If we are doing first year coaches, Duffy is a great one. Took a bad Miami (OH) team in a tough MAC conference all the way to 4th place in her first season in Oxford.

Great to hear Duffy is doing well. She hired the older Mabrey (Michaela) as an assistant coach. Mabrey had been a GA for Katie Meier, so she ended up going from Miami to Miami... Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 03/08/18 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to the NCAA there are 14 first year head coaches in D-I

Brooke Atkinson at New Mexico State
Bart Brooks at Belmont
Jeff Cammon at Long Beach State
Kia Damon at Lafayette
Megan Duffy at Miami (OH)
Gayle Coats Fulks at Davidson
Ayla Guzzardo at SE Louisiana
Jacie Hoyt at UMKC
Tony Kemper at Marshall
Nikki McCray at Old Dominion
Delisha Milton at Pepperdine
Nicole Powell at Grand Canyon
Diane Richardson at Towson
Rechelle Turner at Murray State

Four of them are former WNBA players! Only Brooks and Duffy have reached 20 wins. Brooks is likely the favorite for the Maggie Dixon Award.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While Belmont has continued to chug along, Cam Newbauer definitely took a step back with Florida. Florida did lose Ronni Williams, but I guess I was hoping for more. Does Florida have anything coming in next year?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/08/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

No, year two.

Already?????

I must be getting old. Sad

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/09/18 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nikki McCray took over a godawful ODU program that had been allowed to languish for far too long. In the wake of the departing coach, who took a bunch of her players with her, a number of other players decommitted, apparently without even talking to Nikki. She was left with a seriously depleted squad which included at least one walk-on. She lost no time in hitting the recruiting trail and managed to sign a few including Victoria Morris, who had somehow gone unsigned, and set about making them into a team the way her own coach, Pat Summitt, had done. Like Pat, she drives them hard, emphasizes personal responsibility, and doesn’t ask them to do anything she won’t do herself. The first part of the season was pretty dismal, but around midseason they started to believe in themselves and before anyone noticed they’d reeled off a 5-game home winning streak. They did lose to Rice in the first round of the C-USA tournament, but Nikki wouldn’t let them get down on themselves, reminding them how far they’d come. I expect her to do well there.

PostPosted: 03/09/18 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m surprised Duffy didn’t win MAC coach of the year (Guevara did). Miami and CMU face off today at 11 AM on ESPN3 in the semis.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/09/18 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Bart Brooks at Belmont
Kia Damon at Lafayette
Jacie Hoyt at UMKC
Tony Kemper at Marshall

Four of them are former WNBA players! Only Brooks and Duffy have reached 20 wins. Brooks is likely the favorite for the Maggie Dixon Award.

I thought the original poster was talking about first year at the school. I know the Georgetown coach has coached elsewhere previously but it's his first year at that school.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/10/18 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one that impresses me is the job that Nicole Powell did at Grand Canyon.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 03/10/18 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The one that impresses me is the job that Nicole Powell did at Grand Canyon.

Why? Grand Canyon finished 15-12 last season, and only are 16-14 this season under Nicole Powell. That's not a huge improvement, although, considering they lost something like 5 seniors, not too shabby.

rebel_hydr_1914

PostPosted: 03/11/18 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Nikki McCray took over a godawful ODU program that had been allowed to languish for far too long. In the wake of the departing coach, who took a bunch of her players with her, a number of other players decommitted, apparently without even talking to Nikki. She was left with a seriously depleted squad which included at least one walk-on. She lost no time in hitting the recruiting trail and managed to sign a few including Victoria Morris, who had somehow gone unsigned, and set about making them into a team the way her own coach, Pat Summitt, had done. Like Pat, she drives them hard, emphasizes personal responsibility, and doesn’t ask them to do anything she won’t do herself. The first part of the season was pretty dismal, but around midseason they started to believe in themselves and before anyone noticed they’d reeled off a 5-game home winning streak. They did lose to Rice in the first round of the C-USA tournament, but Nikki wouldn’t let them get down on themselves, reminding them how far they’d come. I expect her to do well there.

I've been wondering which team would be able to pull her away. She's one I'm keeping my eye on.

rebel_hydr_1914

PostPosted: 03/11/18 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

I've been wondering which team would be able to pull her away. She's one I'm keeping my eye on.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/11/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
pilight wrote:

Bart Brooks at Belmont
Kia Damon at Lafayette
Jacie Hoyt at UMKC
Tony Kemper at Marshall

I thought the original poster was talking about first year at the school. I know the Georgetown coach has coached elsewhere previously but it's his first year at that school.

Yeah, I was going for first year at the school, not necessarily first time head coach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: