RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trades: Danielle Robinson to Lynx, Briann January to Phoenix
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/06/18 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I had a feeling January might want to go to Arizona.

Exactly , but does this really fix PHX issues of old age ? Shes stated shes going to retire in 1 or 2 more seasons , does this all of a sudden change that ? (January) or course .

PostPosted: 03/06/18 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
I had a feeling January might want to go to Arizona.

Exactly , but does this really fix PHX issues of old age ? Shes stated shes going to retire in 1 or 2 more seasons , does this all of a sudden change that ? (January) or course .

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about this. I really like January, but it felt to me like 2017 was the year she went from high quality starter to uh-oh time is running out fast, so this is a really short-term move for Phx. Strategically I don't especially like it, but for now I'm happy to cheer for Bri.

D-Rob to Minny is an interesting one. It turned out that Phoenix didn't really suit her, because our desperation for players who can put a ball into the basket was too high, but I think the Lynx is a better fit. I just don't know that D-Rob is a Reeve type of player. Guess we'll find out soon.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually think it looks better for PX and Minny as a 3 team trade

PX gets January and #12
Minny gets D-Rob and # 20
Indy gets #8

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 03/06/18 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this trade for Phoenix. We upgrade our guard position and it only costs us 4 picks back in a good draft. I think we can pick up someone useful at the 12th spot.

Plus January just might bring in some Arizona State fans that don't normally invest in the Mercury.

I don't buy into the argument that D-Rob is a difficult teammate. She is really good with the fans. I like that she seems to be happy all the time. And I think she can have a great season for the Lynx.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/07/18 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Robinson's a bad fit with the Lynx.Unlike Montgomery,Danielle isn't a long range shooter.Fowles/Moore will see more double teams this upcoming season.

The Lynx have done pretty well so far with Whalen who isnt a 3pointshooter either... DRob will have a lot more options to pass to other then Fowles then she had with the Mercury. The Lynx had to make a move because they couldnt depend on Whalen staying healthy or playing heavy minutes and their bench looked very weak without Montgomery and Perkins.

I think Drob has some gas left in the tank. She just needs to get her confidence back IMO and the Lynx is the perfect team for that

January with the Mercury is a short term solution. They want to win now thats for sure. Their defense improves with January and Bonner back in the line-up but i wonder how much gas January has left in the tank. Maybe a change of scenery will help her

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/07/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My first thought was that Minny won, so was surprised at all the negative thoughts. Who wins really depends on several factors. Will DRob be better her second year back from injury? History shows this is often the case. As much as I love January, she has repeatedly mentioned considering retiring. I agree the trade may well extend her career but how long will she continue to be able to play the rough and tumble style she is known for and is good at? I assume for Indy that this is a clearing out for K.Mitchell. We'll see how that works out and how whoever they take at #8 works out. Lots of questions. So all in all, from the outset, I would say it looks fairly even.

- Amanda Gorman
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/07/18 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Keeps the Lynx at or near the top again. I see the Lynx in the top 2 again. :(

People said this when the Mercury got her last off season and she lost her starting spot to Mitchell:/ and didn't help them much at all.

That's because Robinson is something of a ball-dominant guard who can't shoot, which is the opposite of a good fit on a team with Diana Taurasi. I don't actually believe, talent-wise, that Leilani Mitchell is as good a basketball player as Danielle Robinson, but she was a better fit for the Mercury.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/07/18 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Keeps the Lynx at or near the top again. I see the Lynx in the top 2 again. Sad

People said this when the Mercury got her last off season and she lost her starting spot to Mitchell:/ and didn't help them much at all.

That's because Robinson is something of a ball-dominant guard who can't shoot, which is the opposite of a good fit on a team with Diana Taurasi.

Taurasi can shoot, so why is that a bad fit? Get the ball to Taurasi. Get the ball to Griner. Why is she a better fit for Minnesota, because she’ll have lesser competition for a spot? Everybody wants a PG who can shoot the three. That shouldn’t be any different for the Lynx.

Silky Johnson wrote:
I don't actually believe, talent-wise, that Leilani Mitchell is as good a basketball player as Danielle Robinson, but she was a better fit for the Mercury.

She arguably had the best season of her career. She can shoot the three, set screens with the best of them, great defense for her size. Wasn’t intimidated by the likes of Alyssa Thomas making those basket to basket drives. She just outplayed DRob for her spot and that’s all there’s to it. So if talent isn’t in Mitchell’s favor like you say than I guess you have to cite DRob’s lack of desire... which isn’t exactly a great quality. How’s that saying go? ”Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard".

What it boils down to.... with Bonner coming back back, Taurasi can take on some of the PG duties. They don’t need two high buck PG’s (with Mitchell giving more for the money). Might as well get some fresh blood in a deep draft.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/07/18 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always thought Briann January was one of the more overvalued players on this board, has shot under 39% in six out of nine seasons, and of those six she shot under 36% for three of them. Nonetheless, she is more of a "fit" than Robinson is for the Mercury.

PostPosted: 03/07/18 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
As a Fever, fan I love this move. January has had a really good and under-rated career in Indiana, but she is close to retirement and slowing down. She has flirted with this season being her last one, and Fever won't be any good this season regardless of whether they have her. Moving on and getting what should be a young piece with potential is good for the future. Moving on and opening some backcourt space for Mitchell (presumably) to play a lot of minutes is good for the future.

If the 8 pick turns into someone who has a nice career this is a clear win for Indiana. That's a chance I am certainly happy to take.

Plus 1! Indy needs two good young players and you're absolutely correct about January considering retirement. Like this trade for Indy! Don't think they can gamble on getting a PG at #8, so it looks like Kelsey Mitchell will be an Indiana Fever!

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/07/18 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
I always thought Briann January was one of the more overvalued players on this board, has shot under 39% in six out of nine seasons, and of those six she shot under 36% for three of them. Nonetheless, she is more of a "fit" than Robinson is for the Mercury.

Being one of the best defensive guards in the league who will always give 120% no matter what gives her a lot of credit.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/08/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Being one of the best defensive guards in the league who will always give 120% no matter what gives her a lot of credit.

I don't think she's garbage, she's solid. Just never thought she was a Tier 1 PG due in large part to the inefficiency on offense..

PostPosted: 03/08/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I don't think she's garbage, she's solid. Just never thought she was a Tier 1 PG due in large part to the inefficiency on offense..

Same but more because i dont think averaging 3,6 assists per game makes you a top PG or even close

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/08/18 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Same but more because i dont think averaging 3,6 assists per game makes you a top PG or even close

I wish we had the stat for attempted assists where the PG made the pass and the shot was taken but missed. 3.6 apg comes with a 1.80 ATO which places her solidly in the middle of the current WNBA starting PGs.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/08/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I wish we had the stat for attempted assists where the PG made the pass and the shot was taken but missed. 3.6 apg comes with a 1.80 ATO which places her solidly in the middle of the current WNBA starting PGs.

And that is is exactly what i always believed she was.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/08/18 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

A middle of the road PG who is also a game-changing defender moves her up to high-end status, imo.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

A middle of the road PG who is also a game-changing defender moves her up to high-end status, imo.

I guess it depends on what you want out of your PG. Because Catch handled the ball so much, they didn't need her as much as a floor general on offense. Her defense was very important. But if she was on a team whose offense depended on her getting the ball to the bigs, then she's just a capable starter, not a tier 1 PG.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/08/18 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I guess it depends on what you want out of your PG. Because Catch handled the ball so much, they didn't need her as much as a floor general on offense. Her defense was very important. But if she was on a team whose offense depended on her getting the ball to the bigs, then she's just a capable starter, not a tier 1 PG.

Which would seem to make her an excellent fit for the Merc who are best when the ball is being run through Taurasi.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Which would seem to make her an excellent fit for the Merc who are best when the ball is being run through Taurasi.

Oh, yes, absolutely! Especially given Diana's defense. Or is that "iana?"

miller40

PostPosted: 03/08/18 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

A middle of the road PG who is also a game-changing defender*** moves her up to high-end status, imo.

True, but ***when healthy. Which hasn't been a whole lot in recent seasons (I say that as a big fan).

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 03/08/18 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx needed a backup guard after losing both Perkins & Renee and they got one but Im interest in seeing how Reeves use her in Minny & if she ends up being a good fit there.

Briana Januaray in Phx I like her but I can't root for her anymore in that dirty purple.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/08/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I don't know why Iana TTaurasi never caught on

PostPosted: 03/08/18 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I don't know why Iana TTaurasi never caught on

Twisted Evil

Well, we already had Upree and Michael T Price. But my favorite was Kara xton. Wink

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/10/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Phoenix is also looking at January as a playoff performer. If you take 2012 and 2014-16 and factor in some outstanding defense, January is a take-charge player in key spots in playoff games. They're clearly going for a championship.

As a for instance, I know Piph (rightfully so) has a rep and history as a poor playoff performer. But in the 2015 deciding game of the ECF January completely shut her down. In this sense, January's value to a team definitely transcends her stats. Put her on a team with two stars and several other impact players, and I think you really have something. With new players and chemistry you never know for sure, but on the surface it makes sense.

PostPosted: 03/10/18 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems to me each team got what they needed. Indy got a pick to rebuild with and Phoenix got a veteran guard with good D and a pretty good 3 point shot. Lynx needed help in the backcourt but had the least to offer so they had to take a chance. At her best, Robinson was probably better than January at her best and both may be better than pick No. 8. But age and injury take their toll.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: