RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/06/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes I feel overanalysis comes into play here.

Trust me, the coaches have been watching for the better part of at least the last season or two, and a slump here or there isn't going to have much impact.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 03/06/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="dtsnms"]Sometimes I feel overanalysis comes into play here.

Trust me, the coaches have been watching for the better part of at least the last season or two, and a slump here or there isn't going to have much impact.[/quote

Exactly

pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/18 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Sometimes I feel overanalysis comes into play here.

Trust me, the coaches have been watching for the better part of at least the last season or two, and a slump here or there isn't going to have much impact.

They've gotten better about that. Time was we'd see players suddenly become first rounders based on a couple of tournament games. That hasn't happened recently.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby still has a pretty high ceiling, she can damn near play and defend every position on the court at the college level. Indy will probably take Mitchell and they should, but a Williams/Wheeler back court could also work out well for the fever.
toad455

PostPosted: 03/06/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Correct first round?

1. Las Vegas Aces
2. Indiana Fever
3. Chicago Sky
4. Chicago Sky
5. Seattle Storm
6. Dallas Wings
7. Washington Mystics
8. Indiana Fever
9. Connecticut Sun
10. New York Liberty
11. Los Angeles Sparks
12. Phoenix Mercury

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/06/18 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby Williams' hip is a bit of a question mark for me. I have no idea what the chronic condition is but if rest alone would have helped it they should have been able to carve out some time for that. Will the month between tournament and training camp be enough to get it 100%? I watched Sue Bird play 2 straight seasons with torn labrums and know that it is possible to gut it out and even manage it indefinitely. But, she had surgery as soon as the season was done. I assume team GMs have a clear idea of what the issue is but I am not anointing her a lottery pick without a bit more information.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/06/18 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Correct first round?

1. Las Vegas Aces
2. Indiana Fever
3. Chicago Sky
4. Chicago Sky
5. Seattle Storm
6. Dallas Wings
7. Washington Mystics
8. Indiana Fever
9. Connecticut Sun
10. New York Liberty
11. Los Angeles Sparks
12. Phoenix Mercury

Think so.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/06/18 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Correct first round?

1. Las Vegas Aces
2. Indiana Fever
3. Chicago Sky
4. Chicago Sky
5. Seattle Storm
6. Dallas Wings
7. Washington Mystics
8. Indiana Fever
9. Connecticut Sun
10. New York Liberty
11. Los Angeles Sparks
12. Phoenix Mercury

Think so.

Are you hinting at more draft related trades

For some reason I keep thinking Langhorne to Washington for #7 (vets for picks seems to be a trend) I'm also feeling Harrison to Chicago for #4 but this is all just pure speculation.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/06/18 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Gabby Williams' hip is a bit of a question mark for me. I have no idea what the chronic condition is but if rest alone would have helped it they should have been able to carve out some time for that. Will the month between tournament and training camp be enough to get it 100%? I watched Sue Bird play 2 straight seasons with torn labrums and know that it is possible to gut it out and even manage it indefinitely. But, she had surgery as soon as the season was done. I assume team GMs have a clear idea of what the issue is but I am not anointing her a lottery pick without a bit more information.

I reckon there's still every chance that she goes in one of those two picks to Chicago. I'm sure they'd love to take a 4, but it just doesn't seem like there's a true 4 worth taking - and you're much better off taking the best player than forcing an Akhator-style pick. It's not like the Sky have that much on the wing to block, say, DeShields and Williams from both finding minutes. It's basically Quigley, who turns 32 this season, and Copper, who's still a work-in-progress herself.

After the shambles of last year's draft I doubt Stocks risks something like Vadeeva that high (and Vadeeva/Dolson would be a nightmarish frontcourt to make work anyway). So I'm not sure where else she'd go. I know the numbers are much-improved, but I wasn't hugely impressed by Vivians this week; they don't need Brown or Canada with Sloot/Faulkner already on board; and it seems high for Nurse. Who else?

PostPosted: 03/06/18 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

I reckon there's still every chance that she goes in one of those two picks to Chicago. I'm sure they'd love to take a 4, but it just doesn't seem like there's a true 4 worth taking - and you're much better off taking the best player than forcing an Akhator-style pick. It's not like the Sky have that much on the wing to block, say, DeShields and Williams from both finding minutes. It's basically Quigley, who turns 32 this season, and Copper, who's still a work-in-progress herself.

After the shambles of last year's draft I doubt Stocks risks something like Vadeeva that high (and Vadeeva/Dolson would be a nightmarish frontcourt to make work anyway). So I'm not sure where else she'd go. I know the numbers are much-improved, but I wasn't hugely impressed by Vivians this week; they don't need Brown or Canada with Sloot/Faulkner already on board; and it seems high for Nurse. Who else?

I believe the choice is clear. The Sky will draft two from the group of wing players: DeShields, Vivians, and Williams. Which two players? We will have to wait for draft day. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the time you get to the second round I think Gulich has real value. She stepped forward this year, but I believe she still has room for further improvement. Bigs often continue to develop their games I see her as a backup in years 1-2, but could develop into a starter by year 3. She has the size and a decent mid-range shot but needs to improve her interior offensive mobility. It may be too early at 13, but if Laimbeer could work some kind of trade I think he could be a great coach for her.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/07/18 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Correct first round?

1. Las Vegas Aces
2. Indiana Fever
3. Chicago Sky
4. Chicago Sky
5. Seattle Storm
6. Dallas Wings
7. Washington Mystics
8. Indiana Fever
9. Connecticut Sun
10. New York Liberty
11. Los Angeles Sparks
12. Phoenix Mercury

Think so.

Are you hinting at more draft related trades

For some reason I keep thinking Langhorne to Washington for #7 (vets for picks seems to be a trend) I'm also feeling Harrison to Chicago for #4 but this is all just pure speculation.

Nope, I heard of a couple of unexciting free agent signing possibilities but who knows if they are true. Haven't heard a peep of trades. Langhorne was listed on the transactions page as being re-signed by the Storm which frankly frustrates me.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/07/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

Chicago has shown a willingness to wait for injured players too (Coates, for example), so if they like Williams, I wouldn't be surprised to take her even at the risk of her needing surgery and missing time.

jap

PostPosted: 03/07/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

Chicago has shown a willingness to wait for injured players too (Coates, for example), so if they like Williams, I wouldn't be surprised to take her even at the risk of her needing surgery and missing time.

I wouldn't mind if Gabby and her injured hip falls to us. We could use another defensive stopper to replace Alana, who may be departing after this season. Of course, Brian may feel differently. Cool

PostPosted: 03/07/18 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spooner in particular gets strongly persuaded by these articles, so I should preface this by saying this author always hypes European players for the WNBA. So keep that in mind.

Why Maria ‘The Terminator’ Vadeeva should be 2018 WNBA Draft first pick, but probably won’t

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/why-maria-the-terminator-vadeeva-should-be-2018-wnba-draft-first-pick-but-probably-wont

Quote:
Russia ace Maria Vadeeva is the best player in the world of her generation and here is both why she should, but probably won't, be the first pick.

I’d definitely take Cambage over her. Surprised

Quote:
She does not have the athleticism or flair of many other more exciting players, but the productivity, efficiency, unflappable nature and the way she imposes herself physically is just so exceptional.

Not as athletic? A hard work beats talent thing?

Quote:
That now famous stare at her opponents and also referees [when they don't call fouls in her favor] epitomizes her outlook. No trash talking, no over-the-top antics, it's all about stares and smiles

Quote:
I was in Chekhov to see A’Ja Wilson win gold with USA at U19 level a few years ago and have seen her up close. She is a great contender, while Diamond Deshields is quality too. But, Vadeeva is durable and a proven performer at the elite level who goes up against WNBA stars every week and produces numbers as part of a championship winning team.

I guess it’s easy to be durable playing 20mpg. 20mpw?

Quote:
Well, it would be an understandable factor if politics did come into it I suppose. Although wouldn't it really give us something to talk about if she was given the nod?

Yeah, I’m sure that’s his main motivation.

Quote:
The biggest reason that Vadeeva is unlikely to be first choice is that she may not be able and willing to commit to a WNBA career.

Well, no duh. Who wants to waste their first round pick in this draft?

Quote:
Curiously, 2018 is probably the best year for her to make that WNBA debut with Russia's seniors not playing again until the fall. Although, she might be required to land one last gold for her country at the FIBA U20 Women's European Championship in Sopron during early July. I accept that with all of this in mind, it is a risky choice to select her.

Just got a little more real.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/07/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe given the chance Mike Thibault with select Victoria Vivians with the #7 pick in the 1st round of the 2018 WNBA Draft. Mike Thibault probably knows more about Victoria Vivians from Miss St. Asst Coach Carly Thibault then any WNBA GM. Lexie Brown or Gabby Williams also could be on the radar for Thibault if Vivians has been already selected before the Mystics make their choice.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/07/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thibault loves his foreigners, so I'm seeing her land there, but not showing up until 2019.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/07/18 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Thibault loves his foreigners, so I'm seeing her land there, but not showing up until 2019.

Agreed i dont see her falling past Thibault in this draft .

PostPosted: 03/07/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I believe given the chance Mike Thibault with select Victoria Vivians with the #7 pick in the 1st round of the 2018 WNBA Draft. Mike Thibault probably knows more about Victoria Vivians from Miss St. Asst Coach Carly Thibault then any WNBA GM. Lexie Brown or Gabby Williams also could be on the radar for Thibault if Vivians has been already selected before the Mystics make their choice.

I can see it. He's used links like that before (Eric was on the St. John's staff the year McKenith went in the second round).

(now with spelling variations)
Shades

PostPosted: 03/07/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

He’s gotten more than his money’s worth from Meesseman, but will her taking the season off make Thibault gun-shy? Is the Russian national team rising to prominence again and therefore that may become Vadeeva’s priority?

Gotta hear from Vadeeva. The Lynx must have not have been intrigued by her enough to stay in the race.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/07/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Actually, in Connecticut they made a conscious effort NOT to take foreign players to avoid missing time due to international competitions.

Obviously for talent like Emma he's softened that policy. Wink

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Actually, in Connecticut they made a conscious effort NOT to take foreign players to avoid missing time due to international competitions.

What about that time they drafted Astan Dabo, or was that part of a conscious effort to not acquire UConn players because they didn't want people to think they only acquire UConn players after they traded to get Tina Charles & Renee Montgomery? Smile

Randy

PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
toad455 wrote:

What about that time they drafted Astan Dabo, or was that part of a conscious effort to not acquire UConn players because they didn't want people to think they only acquire UConn players after they traded to get Tina Charles & Renee Montgomery? Smile

Considering how many domestic players suddenly become foreign players it is pretty hard to avoid foreign players.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Why Maria ‘The Terminator’ Vadeeva should be 2018 WNBA Draft first pick, but probably won’t

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/why-maria-the-terminator-vadeeva-should-be-2018-wnba-draft-first-pick-but-probably-wont

Quote:
I was in Chekhov to see A’Ja Wilson win gold with USA at U19 level a few years ago and have seen her up close. She is a great contender, while Diamond Deshields is quality too. But, Vadeeva is durable and a proven performer at the elite level who goes up against WNBA stars every week and produces numbers as part of a championship winning team.

Wlison was the MVP of the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championships. Obviously, she did well.

But if the author's analysis is premised on a comparison player's three-year old performance, that does not necessarily qualify as "sufficient" to justify picking Vadeeva over Wilson.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Wlison was the MVP of the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championships. Obviously, she did well.

But if the author's analysis is premised on a comparison player's three-year old performance, that does not necessarily qualify as "sufficient" to justify picking Vadeeva over Wilson.

I responded to his tweet on that and got a couple of "WNBA just doesn't respect Euros." I responded with the list of overseas players staying home this season preparing for worlds. It's not that they are not respected. It's that a #1 pick needs to be the future face of the franchise for a decade and needs to be there every year.

The guy is also Euro-focused. He cited Ann Wauters as the last non-American to be drafted first. It was actually Lauren Jackson a year later.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 61 of 93

Jump to: