RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trades: Danielle Robinson to Lynx, Briann January to Phoenix
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last season I said January would be a great fit in Phoenix(ASU offseason job)....This trade will more than likely extend January's career.

Last edited by zune69 on 03/06/18 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Yeah - I don't like this trade precisely for the reasons justintyme likes it. Robinson had a bad year, for her, but we don't know how much of that is injury recovery and how much was the fit. At worst, even if Robinson is glued to the Lynx bench- she would be about the same as pick No. 12 would be. If she does return to form - then the Lynx have made a very good deal.

DRob isn't their only option, though. Jones was really coming on strong late in the year. DRob provides a valuable veteran presence but she is not a vital component.

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Wiseone1 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
If that's it, Minnesota loses.

+1

So when did it become en vogue to hate on D-Rob? I've always liked her game, especially her speed and length, and was thrilled when I heard the news. She isn't a shooter, but the Lynx don't really need one with Jones emerging.

But this is a all-star caliber player who is a very good defender, and who has led the league in assists before. Last year was a down year for her, but she was coming off injury and at 28 is in her prime and of age with Maya and Fowles.

It's hardly hating to believe that a trade was lopsided. I personally feel DRob was not the same player in Phoenix as in San Antonio. Injury? Situation? Hard to say. But she lost her starting spot to Mitchell and her 3 point shot.

Also, the responses were when I didn't have the detail about the 2nd round pick added in. I think that makes it a bit more balanced.

Phoenix needed a shooter on the floor last year more than they needed another ball handler/ slasher (the Merc seem to like to have the ball in Taurasi's hands as much as possible, for good reason), which is why D-Rob lost out to Mitchell. The Lynx are much better suited for her style of play, and really could use her defense.

But D-Rob is certainly worth a 12th pick to a win-now team, IMO. I wouldn't call that lopsided. The 2nd rounder just makes even better.

Unless Phoenix finishes bottom four, that second round pick next year will be pretty useless.
D-rob did not have a good season last year at all, If nurse falls to 12th I will be beyond pissed off!

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

Unless Phoenix finishes bottom four, that second round pick next year will be pretty useless.
D-rob did not have a good season last year at all, If nurse falls to 12th I will be beyond pissed off!

Next year's draft will be deeper than this one.

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Next year's draft will be deeper than this one.

I agree in the first round and first four picks of second maybe but after that it's slim pickings.

Last edited by blaase22 on 03/06/18 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
LynxFan32

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="toad455"]If that's it, Minnesota loses.[/quote
How do they lose when they just got a speedy backup point and a 2nd round?! Cheryl will get back in the first round somehow I bet

Last edited by LynxFan32 on 03/06/18 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keeps the Lynx at or near the top again. I see the Lynx in the top 2 again. Sad

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="LynxFan32"]
toad455 wrote:
If that's it, Minnesota loses.[/quote

How do they lose when they just got a speedy backup point and a 2nd round pick in a deep draft?! Cheryl will get back in the first round somehow I bet

Because d-rob played worse than Bri January last year and didn't look the same as she was pre injury and Indiana will probably draft Lexie Brown who could end up better than both January and D-Rob.

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

People said this when the Mercury got her last off season and she lost her starting spot to Mitchell:/ and didn't help them much at all.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Robinson will be better in her second season back from injury than she was in her first

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

horrible minny lost in this trade
d-rob also is not an easy going teammate this I know from ppl that played with her wonder how this will work out for minny lol

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Wiseone1 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
If that's it, Minnesota loses.

+1

So when did it become en vogue to hate on D-Rob? I've always liked her game, especially her speed and length, and was thrilled when I heard the news. She isn't a shooter, but the Lynx don't really need one with Jones emerging.

But this is a all-star caliber player who is a very good defender, and who has led the league in assists before. Last year was a down year for her, but she was coming off injury and at 28 is in her prime and of age with Maya and Fowles.

But it's not just last season. She was pretty useless in 2015 as well (probably playing through injury a lot of the time, although she managed 30 games), then missed 2016, then had the season in Phoenix where she was either invisible or irrelevant virtually all year. How many years does it have to be until you're seriously worried that the previous version of the player just doesn't exist any more? A year ago Phoenix gave up the #5 pick and Izzy Harrison for her; now they've given her away (with a second-rounder thrown in) for the #12. That doesn't say anything good, either.

And while maybe the #12 wouldn't be worth much, maybe someone slips through that they liked (as often happens - Jones wasn't really supposed to be there last year). They just keep punting on youth, and making that eventual rebuild look more difficult. I understand "Win Now!", but there has to be some consideration of the future. And while Robinson's only 28, recent years would suggest she's an old 28. At this point, is she much better than a replacement-level guard they could've picked up off the street for free, or after they get cut by someone else in camp? Or even than Jones, whose minutes she's going to cut into?

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Because d-rob played worse than Bri January last year and didn't look the same as she was pre injury and Indiana will probably draft Lexie Brown who could end up better than both January and D-Rob.

If the choice was between January and D-Rob, then yes, the Lynx would have lost. January is a much safer choice and a great player.

But she wasn't what the Lynx gave up, and wasn't on the table for them, so it doesn't really matter. For the 12th pick she was a good trade, IMO, and if she returns to form in her second year back from what is typically thought of as a 2-year injury, she will have been a steal.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Robinson's a bad fit with the Lynx.Unlike Montgomery,Danielle isn't a long range shooter.Fowles/Moore will see more double teams this upcoming season.

justintyme

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Robinson's a bad fit with the Lynx.Unlike Montgomery,Danielle isn't a long range shooter.Fowles/Moore will see more double teams this upcoming season.

I think you got that backwards, provided she returns to form. She has the speed the Lynx have been missing to force defenses to collapse to free up shooters like Moore, or shift to bring help that frees up posts like Fowles. With Jones having a good outside shot to keep defenses honest, speed is what they need.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

If the choice was between January and D-Rob, then yes, the Lynx would have lost. January is a much safer choice and a great player.

But she wasn't what the Lynx gave up, and wasn't on the table for them, so it doesn't really matter. For the 12th pick she was a good trade, IMO, and if she returns to form in her second year back from what is typically thought of as a 2-year injury, she will have been a steal.

I think you would be defending practically any move the Lynx make,
This looks like a bad move, d-rob is very close to done as a W player. Totally agree with richyyy.

LynxFan32

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

This looks like a bad move, d-rob is very close to done as a W player. Totally agree with richyyy.

Why would you say she is pretty close to done...thanks expert...maybe all y'all give up on people say to easy.....she is on a championship team and the lynx don't need her to do much so the lynx will win this trade easily if she does enough to help them repeat

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

You literally trash almost every move the Lynx make though.. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

This isn't so much about the Lynx as much as I have been a D-Rob fan for years. I wanted her a few years ago, so if anything I am biased by the player she was then and am not giving enough weight to her post-injury play. But even then, I think people are expecting her to have recovered quicker than it really takes for that type of injury.

I guess we will have to just wait and see.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbashockballa wrote:
horrible minny lost in this trade
d-rob also is not an easy going teammate this I know from ppl that played with her wonder how this will work out for minny lol

Well they all work with her during TeamUSA camps, so you would think they’d know anything like that.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/06/18 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Fever, fan I love this move. January has had a really good and under-rated career in Indiana, but she is close to retirement and slowing down. She has flirted with this season being her last one, and Fever won't be any good this season regardless of whether they have her. Moving on and getting what should be a young piece with potential is good for the future. Moving on and opening some backcourt space for Mitchell (presumably) to play a lot of minutes is good for the future.

If the 8 pick turns into someone who has a nice career this is a clear win for Indiana. That's a chance I am certainly happy to take.

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/06/18 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess you missed how thrilled I was to get the storm's 2019 first round pick for Howard.

mavcarter wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

You literally trash almost every move the Lynx make though.. Laughing

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/06/18 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
As a Fever, fan I love this move. January has had a really good and under-rated career in Indiana, but she is close to retirement and slowing down. She has flirted with this season being her last one, and Fever won't be any good this season regardless of whether they have her. Moving on and getting what should be a young piece with potential is good for the future. Moving on and opening some backcourt space for Mitchell (presumably) to play a lot of minutes is good for the future.

If the 8 pick turns into someone who has a nice career this is a clear win for Indiana. That's a chance I am certainly happy to take.

Mercury did well too, clear upgrade over D-Rob and if they wanted Vadeeva all along she might be there at 12 :/

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/06/18 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
I guess you missed how thrilled I was to get the storm's 2019 first round pick for Howard.

Rookies are the only trades I've seen you accept. Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 03/06/18 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Randy wrote:

People said this when the Mercury got her last off season and she lost her starting spot to Mitchell:/ and didn't help them much at all.

I certainly hope you are right. I'm just not comfortable being in agreement with justintyme. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: