RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 Academy Awards Nominations/Winners
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bAx0b4Fqju8?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAx0b4Fqju8

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZxGgaJVoJ_U?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxGgaJVoJ_U

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Kobe Bryant is an oscar winner.

#MeToo, #TimesUp, a celebration of women in Hollywood...

Hey, I know! Let's give Kobe an Oscar.

At least it wasn't Woody Allen, Casey Affleck, or Roman Polanski...

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

What is Kobe guilty of? Just asking. Not trying to divert the thread with a back and forth.

PostPosted: 03/05/18 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

What is Kobe guilty of? Just asking. Not trying to divert the thread with a back and forth.

Well, he was charged with rape, and while it was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt, the situation he was in was at least as fucked up as many of the targets of the #MeToo movement.

https://jezebel.com/kobe-bryants-oscar-win-reminds-us-that-time-is-not-up-f-1823506004

PostPosted: 03/05/18 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The early ratings for ABC's telecast of the 90th Oscars are down from last year and may be an all-time audience low.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-oscar-ratings-20180305-story.html
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/05/18 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Well, he was charged with rape, and while it was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt, the situation he was in was at least as fucked up as many of the targets of the #MeToo movement.

https://jezebel.com/kobe-bryants-oscar-win-reminds-us-that-time-is-not-up-f-1823506004

Got it.

Just wanted to know your exact take cause Polanski and Woody are considered pedophiles.

PostPosted: 03/05/18 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Got it.

Just wanted to know your exact take cause Polanski and Woody are considered pedophiles.

Yeah, sorry about that. Was just going for a list of the "usual suspects" that Hollywood likes to honor. Didn't even think of that aspect of it and should have been more careful.

On a different note, while I thought Jimmy Kimmel did a very good job, I would kill to see an entire awards hosted by Tiffany Haddish and Maya Rudolph. They were one of the absolute best parts of last night, IMO. They play off each other perfectly.

PostPosted: 03/05/18 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/05/18 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
pilight wrote:
sambista wrote:
"get out" crosses over into so many buckets of goodness, i'm afraid that will be its downfall. for its originality, i figured original screenplay would fit, but no. it surpasses all the categories as traditionally defined. it deserves a special "outside the box" award.

It should win Best Picture. It won't, of course, because it's exactly the kind of movie most of the Academy despises. They'd much rather honor a war movie that's not really a war movie, a Coen brothers wannabe, or a sexy fish.

You don't even know how many fishmen tried out for that part? There were some really sexy fishmen who were terrible actors, and some fishmen who were great actors but weren't very hot, or sounded like Gilbert Gotfired, Del Toro really lucked out when that sexy, talented, fishmen walked through the door.

PS I also think Get Out should win, and that type of movie almost always gets the best original screenplay as a consolation prize, and it might, but Ladybird also falls into that "we should really give the people behind this movie something, for making a cool, modern movie, but its not going to win best picture" category.

So Jordan Peele and Get Out did win the you're a little too cool to win best picture consolation prize of Original Screenplay, still glad it won something.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/05/18 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Frances McDormand left her oscar sitting someplace at an after party and somebody picked it up and almost walked out with it. He apparently walked around a bit with it before leaving. They said on TV that "Wolfgang Puck's photographer" (Puck caters the event) saw him and didn't recognize him as a winner and followed him.

He had already posted video on Facebook of himself with the trophy, so he probably would have been caught even if he managed to get out of the party unseen.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/06/18 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now this is about diversity? Clearly, Hollywood has lost the plot.

#MeToo was about the victims of sexual predation speaking out together. #TimesUp seems to be about women getting better jobs in Hollywood.

I get it. More women in power means less sexual abuse and exploitation of women. In theory. For the already dialed-in women of Hollywood, like any we see on an Oscar stage, what makes perfect sense is that more power be given to them and their peers.

But what does #TimesUp really do for all the tens of thousands of women who were set upon by men in Hollywood over the many decades, the vast unknowable numbers who quit their dreams of show business success because they were presented with a choice, give up the goods or go home?

And what does it do for all the others who threw their bodies at show business success in a system they thought would actually reward them for doing so? As I've said before, on the westside of Los Angeles, these women exist in numbers that practically establish them as a demographic.

What #TimesUp does is change the subject off of those women and move them and their stories farther and farther from the spotlight.

#MeToo is Hollywood’s movement. It was born in the immediate aftermath of the Weinstein revelations. It’s the movement Hollywood doesn’t want and from what I've seen represented from the Golden Globes to Sunday night's Oscar telecast, it will require great effort to keep the focus on the true victims here. And that's the entire point of #TimesUp. Hollywood needed a hashtag of its own but one that it can control to take the focus off of #MeToo.

#MeToo is victims taking a stand against their abusers and the systems that sustain abuse. Hollywood, clearly, has been such a system. And it will likely remain one because it is succeeding now in its effort to change the subject from Harvey Weinstein and the resulting fallout to anything else.

Why would that not naturally extend to changing the subject off the troublingly resonant #MeToo movement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: