RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B12 Final: #7 Texas v #3 Baylor 3.5.18 9PM ET FS1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Texas
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Baylor
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that Aston managed to get a Tech and Mulkey hasn't...

- Amanda Gorman
Brinx

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Interesting that Aston managed to get a Tech and Mulkey hasn't...

Was it on Aston or the bench? I thought they said it was on the bench for unsportsmanlike conduct.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas loses their poise and the refs essentially end the game.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

:46.6 to go and Kim still has all four TO's left.

Oops. Big defensive break down there.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
What’s Chou’s injury or issue?

hurt her left wrist. She's supposed to be back for the NCAA's

GlennMacGrady

A lot of basketball talent, bulk and poundage on that floor, and either could be Final Four.
acsuc99

How the HELL does Aston pick up a T there? Lost the game right there!

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We gotta see this handshake line Shocked Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
How the HELL does Aston pick up a T there? Lost the game right there!

exactly. She dug a hole they couldn't get out of...

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
They need to look at Cox's right arm swing.

That's BS that they didn't spend 5 minutes looking at that arm swing. Any other time they would have.

Agreed. That was bogus. And the fact that they didn’t probably cost Texas a chance at the W.

PostPosted: 03/05/18 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, this is the best I've seen Texas play in the several games I've watched this year. So don't know what to think. Have they gotten so much better, or were they just 'on' for this game?

And Baylor needs some depth for the NCAAs. They foul somebody out and they're in trouble. It's also the best I've seen from Cox and the Freshmen were outstanding. A fluke or will they continue on like that.

Both teams could go a long way if they play like this, but since neither have played like this all season (IMO) it's hard to imagine that they will play like it on thru the tourney.

- Amanda Gorman
Brinx

PostPosted: 03/05/18 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas made a hell of a game of it, but you just won't beat other good teams if you hit a scoring drought in the last three mins of the game.

Both these teams are going to be fun to watch in the tourney.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 03/05/18 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well, this is the best I've seen Texas play in the several games I've watched this year. So don't know what to think. Have they gotten so much better, or were they just 'on' for this game?

And Baylor needs some depth for the NCAAs. They foul somebody out and they're in trouble. It's also the best I've seen from Cox and the Freshmen were outstanding. A fluke or will they continue on like that.

Both teams could go a long way if they play like this, but since neither have played like this all season (IMO) it's hard to imagine that they will play like it on thru the tourney.

Nothing fluky about Cox's play. She's a different player this year from last year. She was DPOY in the Big 12 for a reason.

Depth is going to be an issue for BU -- though Chou is supposed to be back for March Madness.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/06/18 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First Observation: Kim Mulkey is becoming a cult figure. She has stepped off the screen of the (iconic gay classic) movie, "Sordid Lives"....one of the sultry lounge lizards from a Texas Honky Tonk. And those 2 sidekicks of hers....the Elvira Wannabe and the Alfred-Hitchcock-With-Hair dude....delightfully entertaining.

But. That's secondary:

Well, well, well: VERY well played. And I thought the refs were pretty consistent, with very few flubs.

Baylor clearly deserved that one--not cuz of more grit or heart (BOTH demonstrated copious amounts of that) but just the simple math of better percentages. TX year-long FG% of 46, and 70% on FTs did not materialize....34%/63% tonight was not gonna cut it against Baylor's 47%/81%. And TX had a lot more O-boards than Baylor, with Baylor only grabbing 2 more total. Most every other category was a wash. Baylor wins.

myrtle wrote:

Hmmm. You musta missed the UConn game: that was TX's finest hour, imo. And last year's game when they beat Baylor was awesome, too.

Love me some Atkins and Higgs. Gotta love Brown. And Morris! And who doesn't love a game with players named "Juicy" and "Shug"??

Also loved me some "Bubble Team" analysis. I didn't realized Oklahoma had a #2 SOS....Brenda and Ron liked their chances. Hmmm.... Cool

PostPosted: 03/06/18 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exciting game, but disappointing thread, in part. Why does a player's skin color, race, religion, adoptive status matter to some here?

Speculation during a game about personal characteristics is inappropriate. Google her if you must. Too much of this here lately. Rolling Eyes

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rules question: The technical foul that was called against Texas happened right after a foul call. BU shot two free throws for the foul and two free throws for the technical foul. But after a technical foul, the team that shoots free throws also gets the ball, normally.

Last night, Texas got the ball after Cox shot the free throws. Anyone know what rule came into play there? No one seemed to think it was a problem, so there must be some exception to the "two shots and the ball" rule--I just don't know what it is.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Rules question: The technical foul that was called against Texas happened right after a foul call. BU shot two free throws for the foul and two free throws for the technical foul. But after a technical foul, the team that shoots free throws also gets the ball, normally.

Last night, Texas got the ball after Cox shot the free throws. Anyone know what rule came into play there? No one seemed to think it was a problem, so there must be some exception to the "two shots and the ball" rule--I just don't know what it is.

I gathered from the nattering that it had to do with it being a bench technical, but I'm not sure. I'm not a ref and commentators are really good at being wrong.

(now with spelling variations)
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/06/18 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:

I gathered from the nattering that it had to do with it being a bench technical, but I'm not sure. I'm not a ref and commentators are really good at being wrong.

I'll take a shot at it.

After the tech on the bench (coach), the ball is put in play at the point of interruption.

Cox was fouled.

The tech was called.

Cox made the two free throws for the foul.

Normally the ball would have gone to TX after a made free throw.

Cox shot the technical free throws.

When a bench technical is called the ball is put in play at the point of interruption.

That would have been after the Cox free throws for the personal foul.

TX ball.

Page 113 if you're bored and want to be overwhelmed with the amount of different types of fouls that can be called.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/WBR17.pdf

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/06/18 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Exciting game, but disappointing thread, in part. Why does a player's skin color, race, religion, adoptive status matter to some here?

Speculation during a game about personal characteristics is inappropriate. Google her if you must. Too much of this here lately. Rolling Eyes

Oh please, darling, get a grip. This is no different than any other chatter in the stands. If you're offended, don't read the post. Or ignore it.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:

I'll take a shot at it.

After the tech on the bench (coach), the ball is put in play at the point of interruption.

Cox was fouled.

The tech was called.

When a bench technical is called the ball is put in play at the point of interruption.

TX ball.

Page 113 if you're bored and want to be overwhelmed with the amount of different types of fouls that can be called.

Thanks. I took a shot at finding the appropriate rule, but that is an amazingly technical rule book. Helps knowing where to look.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:

I'll take a shot at it.

Cox was fouled.

The tech was called.

TX ball.

Thanks. I took a shot at finding the appropriate rule, but that is an amazingly technical rule book. Helps knowing where to look.

Read it a few dozen times and it gets a little easier. Smile I mean who knew that there were 24 different types of fouls?

If you're inclined to punish yourself some more, here's another link that I refer to:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/WBKBCB18.pdf

I remember when I was studying for my test many, many years ago, I would have the rule book, the case book and a couple of other reference books all open and going back and forth between them. The case books are really nice. You can read the rule in the rule book and then read some examples in the case book to actually think about the rule in action.

Then there are the times that I read a rule and think that is the one that I want and when I go to the case book, find out it isn't! Back to the rule book! Sad

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the tech was FOR? It got a little confusing right about then.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the tech was FOR? It got a little confusing right about then.

One of the Oklahoma reporters said that Aston dropped an F bomb on the official.

She picked an odd time to get upset -- the foul call against her player was one of the most obvious of the game.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/06/18 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

One of the Oklahoma reporters said that Aston dropped an F bomb on the official.

She picked an odd time to get upset -- the foul call against her player was one of the most obvious of the game.

but I thought the official that T'ed her up was all the way across the court...unless he was just repeating the movement of the closer official who I couldn't see. Surely she wouldn't get a T from lip reading.

- Amanda Gorman
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 03/06/18 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

but I thought the official that T'ed her up was all the way across the court...unless he was just repeating the movement of the closer official who I couldn't see. Surely she wouldn't get a T from lip reading.

Not sure about the ref across the court, but there's a woman ref standing about 3' from her signalling the technical.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: