RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fourth #1 seed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who SHOULD BE the fourth "1 seed
Baylor
51%
 51%  [ 20 ]
Notre Dame
48%
 48%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 39

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/04/18 4:42 pm    ::: Fourth #1 seed Reply Reply with quote

UCONN
Mississippi St - even with a loss in the SEC Final
Louisville

Those 3 are 1 seeds.

Baylor or Notre Dame?

The case for Baylor:

One loss at UCLA without Lauren Cox or Coach Mulkey.
Top wins home and home over Texas (3rd game to come), Stanford
All but two 2 games (Texas and Oklahoma) won by more than 10 (ND 8)

The case for Notre Dame

3 losses, all to #1 seeds.
9 top 25 wins (Baylor 4 w/Big12 final)
Top wins South carolina (N) and Florida St (N&A)

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/04/18 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the question is which team will the SelCom peg as #4, it's ND.

If the question is who is the 4th best team, it's Lou, behind this group, in whatever order, of 3: CT/MS ST/BAYLOR.

PostPosted: 03/04/18 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would winning the SEC tournament lift S Carolina above the 8th overall seed and avoid a trip to Albany?

Last edited by linkster on 03/04/18 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 03/04/18 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can understand the usefulness of top 25 or top 50 W-L records but when the discussion is about ranking the one seeds those stats don't mean as much as how they did against other elite level teams and how often they tested themselves with those games. In that regard both Baylor and Miss St fall short. It's not that I think they can't win the NC but if the NCAA wants to promote their game they should reward elite teams for scheduling elite games and other than their conference schedules neither of those two have done that.

I'd also say that by beating Notre Dame twice, tying for the regular season title and winning the tournament, Louisville has locked itself into Lexington. Now the question is (assuming Baylor wins the B12T) do the Bears or the Irish go out west?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/04/18 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per today's announcers, ND has the #1 RPI and #1 SOS. You know the Sel Com is going to weigh that heavily compared to Baylor (#4/#34).

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 03/04/18 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
dinkytown

PostPosted: 03/04/18 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

General question, is the committee suppose to take into consideration the loss of Wallace?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/04/18 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I can understand the usefulness of top 25 or top 50 W-L records but when the discussion is about ranking the one seeds those stats don't mean as much as how they did against other elite level teams and how often they tested themselves with those games. In that regard both Baylor and Miss St fall short. It's not that I think they can't win the NC but if the NCAA wants to promote their game they should reward elite teams for scheduling elite games and other than their conference schedules neither of those two have done that.

I'd also say that by beating Notre Dame twice, tying for the regular season title and winning the tournament, Louisville has locked itself into Lexington. Now the question is (assuming Baylor wins the B12T) do the Bears or the Irish go out west?

Louisville was a lock for Lexington when the bid was awarded. Just like UConn is a lock for whatever city in the northease wins the bid. The only way Louisville wouldn't be in Lexington would be if they weren't going to the NCAAs at all. I don't care what seed they should be. Selcom was going to place them in Lexington.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
linkster

PostPosted: 03/04/18 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
linkster wrote:

Louisville was a lock for Lexington when the bid was awarded. Just like UConn is a lock for whatever city in the northease wins the bid. The only way Louisville wouldn't be in Lexington would be if they weren't going to the NCAAs at all. I don't care what seed they should be. Selcom was going to place them in Lexington.

You're right but this win avoids the comments that they didn't earn it on the court.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/04/18 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Per today's announcers, ND has the #1 RPI and #1 SOS. You know the Sel Com is going to weigh that heavily compared to Baylor (#4/#34).

Not that it truly matters, but with the loss ND IS 2, and if Baylor beats Texas they will be either 3 or 4.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/04/18 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The bottom line is this:

ND will get the easiest #2 in Oregon. ND fans will bitch about it on forums across the land but privately will think "well, w/ all our injuries, we DESERVE the softest #2".

Meanwhile, the team that beat them every time they played them will get Baylor, who is BY FAR the best #2, and may be the best team in the country even w/o Wallace, who was having a surprisingly (to most) great year.

Now that I've said that, watch Texas beat them tomorrow.

MS ST will go to KC and have Tex as the #2 and SCar will go to Albany.

It's still Wimmins Basketball and competitive integrity is far down the list of concerns for the SelCom.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 03/05/18 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/04/18 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
The bottom line is this:

ND will get the easiest #2 in Oregon. ND fans will bitch about it on forums across the land but privately will think "well, w/ all our injuries, we DESERVE the softest #2". Laughing

Meanwhile, the team that beat them every time they played them will get Baylor, who is BY FAR the best #2, and may be the best team in the country even w/o Wallace, who was having a surprisingly (to most) great year.

Now that I've said that, watch Texas beat them tomorrow. Laughing

It's still Wimmins Basketball and competitive integrity is far down the list of concerns for the SelCom.

I think Texas is the worst #2...and I'm guessing they will go to Lexington while Baylor plays MSU in KC.

To me the S curve would look like:
UConn-Texas
Miss St - Oregon
Louis - So Caro
ND - Baylor
But we all know that ain't the way it will look.
So instead:
UConn-SoCaro
Miss St - Baylor
Louis - Texas
ND - Oregon

If so, I think the weakest region is Louis-Texas

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/05/18 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe that Louisville is now the overall #2 seed and MSU Is 3. Notre Dame will be 4. If Baylor wins they would be the top 2 seed; if they lose they would be the second #2, but either way they will go to KC against MSU. Oregon will be 5 or 6 against ND in Spokane. If Texas wins I think they will be #7 and go to Lexington, but if they lose I think they wind up in Albany. South Carolina should root for Baylor.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/05/18 4:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No team with undersized posts players will want to play Baylor in the NCAA tournament. Brown and Cox are two tons of beef that will bang any small posts into powder. Smile

PostPosted: 03/05/18 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
The bottom line is this:

ND will get the easiest #2 in Oregon. ND fans will bitch about it on forums across the land but privately will think "well, w/ all our injuries, we DESERVE the softest #2".

Now that I've said that, watch Texas beat them tomorrow.

I think Texas is the worst #2...and I'm guessing they will go to Lexington while Baylor plays MSU in KC.

To me the S curve would look like:
UConn-Texas
Miss St - Oregon
Louis - So Caro
ND - Baylor
But we all know that ain't the way it will look.
So instead:
UConn-SoCaro
Miss St - Baylor
Louis - Texas
ND - Oregon

If so, I think the weakest region is Louis-Texas

Ok, here's confirmation I'll be wrong- C. Creme posted the same thing at 1:45 this a.m.:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

PostPosted: 03/05/18 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Not that it truly matters, but with the loss ND IS 2, and if Baylor beats Texas they will be either 3 or 4.

Realtimerpi still has ND at #1 even with the loss.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/05/18 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
The bottom line is this:

ND will get the easiest #2 in Oregon. ND fans will bitch about it on forums across the land

Not really. Most ND fans online have already discussed all this and figured ND was going to Oregon and will play Oregon there, even before the ACCT. And now we're definitely the 4th #1 seed, so we're going to be sent the farthest anyway.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/05/18 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
The bottom line is this:

ND will get the easiest #2 in Oregon. ND fans will bitch about it on forums across the land

Not really. Most ND fans online have already discussed all this and figured ND was going to Oregon and will play Oregon there, even before the ACCT. And now we're definitely the 4th #1 seed, so we're going to be sent the farthest anyway.

So ND fans are not putting up the facade of getting screwed this year, or the bitching has already happened?

PostPosted: 03/05/18 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
The bottom line is this:

ummm. Spokane is not Oregon. It's close to 500 miles from Eugene. So acting like it's a home game for Oregon, while not as absurd as the old claims that it was a home game for Stanford (only 900 miles), is still absurd. Because it's in the same time zone, that can be considered an advantage for sure, but it is definitely NOT a home game.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/05/18 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If texas loses to baylor this would be a 3rd time and against a handicapped bears team , Why not Send Texas to albany and SC to KC ? People would rather see UCONN vs TX pt 2 than UCONN vs So.Car pt 2.

PostPosted: 03/05/18 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
If texas loses to baylor this would be a 3rd time and against a handicapped bears team , Why not Send Texas to albany and SC to KC ? People would rather see UCONN vs TX pt 2 than UCONN vs So.Car pt 2.

Becuase the committee probably thinks there must be a Big 12 Team in Kansas City for attendance purposes, so they'll piss off all the South Carolina fans who wouldn't mind being in Kansas City by sending them to UConn's region, even though Texas would be the weakest #2 seed and should be with the top #1 seed. Smile

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/05/18 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Becuase the committee probably thinks there must be a Big 12 Team in Kansas City, so they'll piss off all the South Carolina fans who wouldn't being in Kansas City by sending them to UConn's region, even though Texas would be the weakest #2 seed and should be with the top #1 seed.

i agree if texas loses they should be the weakest 2 , but Head to head i think Texas can beat S.Carolina this season .

PostPosted: 03/05/18 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't get why Creme thinks Texas would go to KC instead of Baylor. To me, if they use the geographic flavor to fudge the S curve, Baylor is in KC, then going with the S curve put So Caro in Lexington and Texas in Albany. If Texas gets beat again, they are clearly the worst #2 and not close.

- Amanda Gorman
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/05/18 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I don't get why Creme thinks Texas would go to KC instead of Baylor. To me, if they use the geographic flavor to fudge the S curve, Baylor is in KC, then going with the S curve put So Caro in Lexington and Texas in Albany. If Texas gets beat again, they are clearly the worst #2 and not close.

Because in the last committee Top-16 reveal they had:
1. UConn
2. Mississippi State
3. Louisville
4. Notre Dame
5. Baylor
6. Oregon
7. South Carolina
8. Texas

And

Albany
1. UConn
2. South Carolina

Spokane
1. Notre Dame
2. Oregon

Lexington
1. Louisville
2. Baylor

Kansas City
1. Mississippi St
2. Texas

And as of now, the Top 8 is probably still the same.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/06/18 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
The bottom line is this:

So ND fans are not putting up the facade of getting screwed this year, or the bitching has already happened?

Well, you have to have an argument (like, say "It isn't right that UConn always has the BET in the HCC!" That's a valid complaint. Some UConn fans might want to think it wasn't relevant, but they weren't exactly being unbiased in their analysis.)

You are acting like none of the complaints in the past had any validity to them. Cases could be made for both sides.

We've already had a lot of "where are we likely to end up?" discussions. I mean, it isn't like with UConn where it has been predetermined before the season. Considering the state of the seeds and locations, it was fairly obvious that there was going to be a #1 seed a lot closer to Lexington than ND, and that team had beaten ND in the regular season, so even if ND had beaten them in the ACCT (which didn't happen anyway), they'd have an argument to have them go there. Add to that the fact that ND has gone to Lexington the last 2 years anyway.

Then you have who the #2 seed is likely to be. Which is better for ND, Oregon in a home game for them or Baylor in Lexington? Oregon is likely a better match-up for ND anyway between those two.

And as I said, throw in that ND would clearly be, based on record, the fourth #1 seed and really how can we complain? In fact, a few of us were saying how Oregon getting the 4th #1 seed and ND getting the #2 in Spokane really wouldn't be that different from ND getting the #1 seed in Spokane and Oregon getting the #2.

You see, most ND fans are much more rational than you think...oh wait a minute...

You said "ND fans will bitch about it on forums across the land." I don't see the word "Some" in there. Whenever I say anything about "UConn fans" without saying "some" you give me the riot act about how you have to always say "some" and not group them all in together. It's a bit hypocritical of you to not do the same with ND fans right? Well?

I really think you should apologize and say that "SOME" of the ND fans might say something. You wouldn't want to be a hypocrite after all, right? Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/06/18 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
The bottom line is this:

ummm. Spokane is not Oregon. It's close to 500 miles from Eugene. So acting like it's a home game for Oregon, while not as absurd as the old claims that it was a home game for Stanford (only 900 miles), is still absurd. Because it's in the same time zone, that can be considered an advantage for sure, but it is definitely NOT a home game.

I forgot it was Spokane because everyone kept talking about "out west" and suggested it was in Oregon's "back yard." It is one state over, FWIW, but I think most thought about the difference in TZ.

BTW, I should know better since I do have relatives in The Dalles. Wink

My point still stands that I don't think you'll hear much bitching from ND fans about being sent there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: