RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017-2018 NCAAW Tipping Thread: Week 3 Games Posted:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamj95

PostPosted: 02/25/18 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette
Texas A&M
Oregon St.
Miami (Fla)
Tennessee
Cincinnati
Wichita
Radford
UNLV
Central Michigan
Bowling Green
Ohio
American
UC Santa Barbara
Norfolk St
Alcorn St
Drexel
Dartmouth
CS Bakersfield
Northern Illinois

PostPosted: 03/04/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to all for playing this season. I will post the final results once I return from Seattle and the Pac 12 tournament. That will be either Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. But for those of you that can't wait, I can tell you that Howee finished in the top 10 of the 7 people that submitted entries last week.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/04/18 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 03/04/18 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Thanks to all for playing this season. I will post the final results once I return from Seattle and the Pac 12 tournament. That will be either Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. But for those of you that can't wait, I can tell you that Howee finished in the top 10 of the 7 people that submitted entries last week.

Always the optimist, arenchya!? Razz

PostPosted: 03/06/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The season is over. I rushed back from Seattle, driving the 750 miles in one day just to post these results (and because of the possibility of snow that could have complicated driving today.) Congratulations to Howee for finishing tied for third in the 16th week. With that strong performance Howee finished above UK1996 in average score per week for the season. In the final season standings, Myrtle and Adamj finished tied for second. Summertime Blues, who started a few weeks late, tied with both of them, averaging 12 correct picks per week.

Week 16 Standings

3) Howee 13
1) Calbearman 15
2) Pureform 14
3) Myrtle 13
5) Adamj 12
5) Summertime 12
5) Dinkytown 12

FINAL Standings (Through 16 Weeks)

Rank-Name-Score-Wks-Average

1) Calbearman --202 16 12.6
2) Adamj---------192 16 12
2) Myrtle -------- 192 16 12
4) Pureform------180 16 11.3
5) Pilight--------- 178 15 11.9
6) Howee ------- 177 16 11.1
7) Lynx-----------174 15 11.6
8) Dinkytown---- 171 15 11.4
9) Summertime- 144 12 12
10) Linkster ------ 96 8 12
11) UK1996 ------ 77 7 11
12) Cardinal ------ 26 2 13

Weekly Winners

Week 1 - Linkster, Pureform, Calbearman 14
Week 2 - Cardinal 15
Week 3 - Dinkytown, Adamj 13
Week 4 - Summertime, Lynx, Calbearman 14
Week 5 - Myrtle, Calbearman 13
Week 6 - Calbearman 19
Week 7 - Pilight 14
Week 8 - Pilight 13
Week 9 - Pilight, Adamj, Summertime, Calbearman 13
Week 10- Dinkytown 14
Week 11- Calbearman 17
Week 12- Adamj, Summertime 16
Week 13- Adamj, Summertime 12
Week 14- Summertime 14
Week 15- Pilight, Myrtle 14
Week 16- Calbearman 15

Howee

PostPosted: 03/06/18 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 (kinda) wrote:
With that strong performance Howee finished above UK1996 in average score per week for the season. That, combined with his #1 RPI (Resplendent Persona Incarnate) and #1 SOS (Sadly Obtuse Selections) and overall Good Looks, he propelled himself to the top of this otherwise-pathetic heap.

Myrtle, eat your heart out. Razz

Total Everything Standings

Exclamation) Howee 113
1) Calbearman 15
2) Pureform 14
3) Myrtle 13
5) Adamj 12
5) Summertime 12
5) Dinkytown 12

Wow. Thanks, Cal. I no idea all those intangibles counted for so much. And I didn't see that coming, so I don't even have an acceptance speech planned. (Yet.)
Cool

PostPosted: 03/06/18 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I didn't do too shabby once I figured out my formula and applied it. Got better as I rolled along....

PostPosted: 03/06/18 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee has learned from our POTUS how to manufacture facts of his own choosing....

Thanks bearman for taking this on and keeping most of us in line. [and good luck to those Bears in the NCAAs. I hope Anigwe is ok]

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 03/06/18 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee has learned from our POTUS how to manufacture facts of his own choosing....
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing No truer words....

And YESSSS! Thanks so much for all the hours dedicated to this task, Cal. It's been a VERY fun season, Myrtle's shenanigans aside. Razz

PostPosted: 03/06/18 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel good that my week of games produced the lowest winning score. Y'all need to work on making tougher choices.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, I know that I’m new and all. Would you guys be interested in doing a tipping style game for the NCAA’s? Instead of filling the bracket we pick every round before it happens. IT’ll help those of us like Myrtle and Howee who are impossible homers and pick Oklahoma and Stanford to win. (Not that Howee needs much help to win if he rigs it). Each correct tip would be worth 1 point.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/06/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
So, I know that I’m new and all. Would you guys be interested in doing a tipping style game for the NCAA’s? Instead of filling the bracket we pick every round before it happens. IT’ll help those of us like Myrtle and Howee who are impossible homers and pick Oklahoma and Stanford to win. (Not that Howee needs much help to win if he rigs it). Each correct tip would be worth 1 point.

Hmmm. I rig NOTHING. (Not HERE, at least!) Razz

I'd be on board with this idea--rigging be damned--but Cal may be 'done' with scorekeeping. You wanna do it, Coyote?

PostPosted: 03/06/18 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I feel good that my week of games produced the lowest winning score. Y'all need to work on making tougher choices.

I'd be more impressed if you had been able to get even half of your own games right. I must say that many of us don't keep up on teams like South Carolina Upstate and Lipscomb. Indeed I only know where Lipscomb is because I went to their campus when I was in Nashville several years ago, but I always thought Upstate South Carolina was North Carolina! Besides, I'm disappointed that you flaked on the final week when you had a chance to finish second. (Actually, after a horrible start in the first three weeks, you were number 1 from week 4-15)

pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/18 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I'd be more impressed if you had been able to get even half of your own games right. I must say that many of us don't keep up on teams like South Carolina Upstate and Lipscomb. Indeed I only know where Lipscomb is because I went to their campus when I was in Nashville several years ago, but I always thought Upstate South Carolina was North Carolina! Besides, I'm disappointed that you flaked on the final week when you had a chance to finish second. (Actually, after a horrible start in the first three weeks, you were number 1 from week 4-15)

I intended to do the last week, but vacation turned out to be too much fun

PostPosted: 03/06/18 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

I have no trouble with scorekeeping. I think Howee believes if someone else keeps score the results might be different. He doesn't realize the problem is his picks. Howee may already have an advantage because I don't know that his Sooners are going to make the field.

Two points to consider. First we do have the long standing Board Junkies Challenge and I certainly hope you will be entering that contest. That is where the real bragging rights go.

Second the problem with making each game worth 1 point is that there will be very similar picks among all contestants. While a few people will pick upsets in the 6-11, 7-10 and 8-9 games in the first round almost everyone will pick the favorites in most of the matchups. This will continue through the tournament, so that even though we would be picking 63 games there would be near unanimity on 45-50 of them.

I would therefore suggest that each game is worth points based on the seed of the team picked. The points double each round to account for primarily lower seeds being left in the tournament. That would mean for a first round game between a 1 and a 16 team, you would get only 1 point if they won but you would get 16 if you picked the big upset. For a 6 vs 11 matchup you would get nearly twice as many points for picking the underdog as the favorite, which gives an incentive for people to pick upsets. In the second round a matchup between a 2 seed and a 7 seed would be worth 4 points for the favorite and 14 points for the underdog.

As long as we have at least 5 people that are willing to play we will have the contest. People can choose whether they would prefer the simple scoring method or the method I laid out above with the majority ruling. People need to choose by Tuesday March 13 at Noon Pacific. As long as we have at least 5 by then anyone else can decide to play until the start of the first game in round 1. All picks for a round must be entered together prior to the start of each round. Late entries will have all games that have started scored as losers.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 03/07/18 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

I have no trouble with scorekeeping. I think Howee believes if someone else keeps score the results might be different. He doesn't realize the problem is his picks. Howee may already have an advantage because I don't know that his Sooners are going to make the field.

Two points to consider. First we do have the long standing Board Junkies Challenge and I certainly hope you will be entering that contest. That is where the real bragging rights go.

Second the problem with making each game worth 1 point is that there will be very similar picks among all contestants. While a few people will pick upsets in the 6-11, 7-10 and 8-9 games in the first round almost everyone will pick the favorites in most of the matchups. This will continue through the tournament, so that even though we would be picking 63 games there would be near unanimity on 45-50 of them.

I would therefore suggest that each game is worth points based on the seed of the team picked. The points double each round to account for primarily lower seeds being left in the tournament. That would mean for a first round game between a 1 and a 16 team, you would get only 1 point if they won but you would get 16 if you picked the big upset. For a 6 vs 11 matchup you would get nearly twice as many points for picking the underdog as the favorite, which gives an incentive for people to pick upsets. In the second round a matchup between a 2 seed and a 7 seed would be worth 4 points for the favorite and 14 points for the underdog.

As long as we have at least 5 people that are willing to play we will have the contest. People can choose whether they would prefer the simple scoring method or the method I laid out above with the majority ruling. People need to choose by Tuesday March 13 at Noon Pacific. As long as we have at least 5 by then anyone else can decide to play until the start of the first game in round 1. All picks for a round must be entered together prior to the start of each round. Late entries will have all games that have started scored as losers.

It's an interesting scoring concept. While there is a lot of parity in the tournament, I think you'd be surprised at how often people will diverge on 8/9, 7/10, and heck even 6/11 matchups that will set apart the pretenders from the royalty. The scoring method proposed actively rewards those who are willing to take risks. This is especially lopsided in a 5-12 matchup. Last season, we have the following matchups:

Marquette-Quinnipiac
Tennessee-Dayton
TAMU-Penn (What an upset this would've been)
tOSU-WKU

So, let's say, our resident expert, Howee, selects Quinnipiac and the Hilltoppers out of Western Kentucky because, well, it IS Ohio State along with Tennessee and Pennsylvania. In this version of events, Howee would garner 17 points even though he only correctly picked two teams. Let's say that a conservative picker comes along and decides to go with all 5 seeds, not thinking that these non-P5's have a chance. This picker selects Marquette, Tennessee, TAMU, and tOSU. This picker only garners 15 points for 3 correct picks. I guess my point is that it doesn't sit well with me that someone can earn more points for fewer correct picks despite the encouragement to pick upsets.

Perhaps what we do instead of making it an overwhelming odd in favor of upsets is make it more straightforward. We could devise a tie breaking scenario using the following criteria:

1. Number of Upsets Correctly Picked.
2. Shootout
----In the case of a 2 way tie, we start back from the final and go round by round and the victor is the first person to have more correct picks in that round.
3. Closest Score to Final Score in National Championship

I don't know. Just some random musings.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/07/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not as long winded as you guys but a compromise might be:
2 points for an upset pick v. 1 point for a favorite win. And maybe even 3 pts for a pick where the difference in seeding is greater than 5 (as for instance in a 5-12 matchup) That way it's not so unbalanced but does give some incentive for underdog picking.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/07/18 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I intended to do the last week, but vacation turned out to be too much fun

I'm glad it was. We all deserve them. I had a great time in Seattle with the Pac 12 Tourney.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/07/18 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm not as long winded as you guys but a compromise might be:
2 points for an upset pick v. 1 point for a favorite win. And maybe even 3 pts for a pick where the difference in seeding is greater than 5 (as for instance in a 5-12 matchup) That way it's not so unbalanced but does give some incentive for underdog picking.

I didn't mean to make this into a discussion but rather just a vote. So let's do this:

Option 1: 1 point per win
Option 2: Myrtle's compromise
Option 3: Points per seed

Just choose 1 when you express interest. We will go with the one that gets the most votes.

And a note to Coyotes - It is nice to have you here. I often throw out (what other people think are) crazy ideas and I don't take any offense to people who think differently. We are supposed to express different opinions freely and respectfully. Welcome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: