RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Podcasts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/07/18 12:56 am    ::: WNBA Podcasts Reply Reply with quote

Prompted by my stumbling upon the WNBAInsidr podcast a couple of days ago, let me know any WNBA-focussed podcasts you know of, and I will maintain a list here in this first post.
Also please feel free to bump the thread any time a new episode is available.

Podcast Compilation Sites

Podcasts About Women's Basketball - by Across the Timeline

WNBA Podcasts

ESPN Around the Rim - Home Page

Locked On Womens Basketball - Player FM - iTunes

The Jump Around - iTunes - SoundCloud

The W Podcast - SoundCloud

We're On Live - The WNBA Show - Home Page

WNBAInsidr - Home Page

WNBA Weekly - Home Page

The WNBA History Club - Home Page

Double Clutch Podcast - Home Page

WNBA Bandwagon - Libsyn - Apple

WNBA with Shay - Spotify

WNBA Podcast Brasil (Portugese) - SoundCloud

Team Podcasts

Lynx Radio - Soundcloud - iTunes

Merc Alert - Home Page

SunCast - Home Page

Sports Podcasts / Other Podcasts that regularly have WNBA Content

Her Hoop Stats - Home Page

Burn It All Down ("The feminist sports podcast you need") - Soundcloud

espnW presents Be Honest with Cari Champion - Player FM

In the World of Female Sports - Home Page

Average to Savage - Soundcloud

Last edited by Luuuc on 10/19/20 7:10 pm; edited 33 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 02/07/18 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN has Around the Rim, hosted by LaChina Robinson

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=14805210

PostPosted: 02/07/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Weekly

http://wnbaweekly.libsyn.com/

PostPosted: 02/08/18 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Podcast Brasil

https://soundcloud.com/wnbacastbr

In Portuguese

PostPosted: 02/08/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're On Live, The WNBA Show

https://player.fm/series/were-on-live-the-wnba-show

Haven't posted a new episode since December, but could return

PostPosted: 02/09/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
We're On Live, The WNBA Show

https://player.fm/series/were-on-live-the-wnba-show

Haven't posted a new episode since December, but could return

Thanks pilight. They just published a new episode last night.

And the Phoenix Mercury just started one today. (Episode 1 guests: Brittney Griner & Todd Troxel)
Links to both are above.

PostPosted: 02/09/18 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx Unleashed

https://soundcloud.com/lynx-radio
or
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/minnesota-lynx/id1040536633?mt=2

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/22/18 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can we sticky this one?

- Amanda Gorman
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/26/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merc Alert episode 2 features Holly Rowe:
https://soundcloud.com/phoenixmercury/2-holly-rowe

PostPosted: 03/03/18 11:19 am    ::: New Pod coving the Liberty and Sun Reply Reply with quote

We came out with this weeks deep dive into the Sun and Liberty take a listen and let us know your thoughts.
Very curious to hear from real WNBA fans what they are thinking.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wnba-pop-5-0/id1344311724?i=1000404462495&mt=2[/b] Idea [/b]

PostPosted: 03/03/18 4:04 pm    ::: Re: New Pod coving the Liberty and Sun Reply Reply with quote

Wnbainsidr wrote:
We came out with this weeks deep dive into the Sun and Liberty take a listen and let us know your thoughts.
Very curious to hear from real WNBA fans what they are thinking.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wnba-pop-5-0/id1344311724?i=1000404462495&mt=2[/b] Idea [/b]

Three things jumped out at me:

- A lot of silences. I'm guessing you need to work on your editing.
- NY was not the 4th seed. They beat out CT for the 3rd seed. It may be forgivable for one analyst to get it wrong, but both guys getting it wrong? Not good.
- This comment only applies because you did your preview of the Sun and Liberty together. CT and NY split 4 games. After CT dominated the first 3 halves, NY won the next 5. So, when last seen NY was outplaying CT head-to-head and the former finished with a better record. Since you believe CT is a championship contender while NY is merely a bubble team to make the playoffs, I think you need to address this contradiction. Why does NY do so well with inferior talent -- especially against CT? Simply explaining NY's success by saying "Tina Charles always gives NY a chance" is trite and superficial.

PostPosted: 03/03/18 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the editing on this episode had some issues.
Agree about the 3 v4 seed not acceptable for us to both get that wrong multiple times.

I dont think your third point bullet point criticism is fair.
We start by explaining that this team has a very similar roster. Other teams have added players to make them better. "Not so much because they got worse but because other teams made upgrades and they didn't they took a step back". You are def RIGHT we need to address the contradiction between these two teams and why we view one as a contender and not the other.
Obviously, we were not clear- our view is,
The Sun are a young team that ranked top 5 in O ranking and D ranking we see them growing and doing better than last year(last year most of the season they were a top3 team).
The liberty are an older team that ranked well on D(3rd) but bad on O (9th). They have not made any moves to better the team and haven't addresses in Our honest op the biggest needs, a PG to lead the O and stop the bleeding in transition(ranked 10th defensively and 12 Offensively). I don't think its trite or superficial to say that an amazing player like tina that is a consistent MVP candidate always gives them a chance to win. Just like Maya gives the Lynx Just like EDD gives Mystics and CP in LA.

PostPosted: 03/04/18 2:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with your general premise, but it's a huge gap between title contender and bubble playoff team. It's the quantitative change that is striking. NY relies on some older players, but 29-30 doesn't tend to be a functionally old age. The significant decline usually manifests itself around 32-33. And while NY has not made any significant personnel moves, neither has CT. So, your argument for this sudden gulf between the two teams rests entirely on the assumption that CT will improve because they're younger. Well, we've seen that improvement by players is hard to predict. People most often remain the same, and they can even regress. So, I think it's a stretch to predict that CT will outperform NY by such a wide margin simply based on growth.

As far as the Tina comment goes, yes it's true she can explode in any given game. But the sentiment is all too often tossed around as if it's the only reason NY ever wins. Yes, Charles carries a heavy load, but she doesn't put up 30 points and 15 rebounds every game. We've seen the team win when she has bad or mediocre games. NY defends, rebounds, and last season managed to keep turnovers down. Those are the main reasons they win. The Liberty have had below average offensive ratings for three straight years (8,8,9) and yet they've finished seeded 1,3,3.

PostPosted: 03/04/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Statistically the sun are a better team. In almost every way.
Nyc saved its season with a win streak that out performed the metric it wasn’t sestanable. Bringing up reg season is great but you can’t not count the bad playoff losses if they were a top seed. I don’t think it’s fair to say they have always been bad at an spect and not have that be telling they are older meaning they have hit the level
Of play they are going to play at. If every (basically every)stat says sun are a better team through the season. They have two players that would be starters coming back this season of injury ad onto that I think any starter for sun would start for nyc if they were on that team.
I get your argument but I disagree and the stats back me up. little less than 1/3 of the season the team played really well (see big win streak to end season). The other 2/3 the team did not. Sun were a contender basically all year. Sun have a set starting5 so they signing they needed or made are bench signings. Nyc has a first year coach hasn’t been able to compete against top teams (see many bad playoff losses) the only argument to be made that nyc is better or similar
Is the playoff ranking....
As for Tina. I don’t believe we said they only win if Tina drops a big game. Infect I went on about they having other players than can score and create but not a player tomrun the offense. That’s why often and it is often Tina has to explode to
Make the tram win. The team hasn’t been build around her in a way to help them win. As we see in the league with the top teams you need more stars or top talents. Besides Tina who else is a top 3 or 5 in their position on this roster? I understand you want your team to do well and get proper respect but you gotta be realistic

PostPosted: 03/04/18 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York began the season with four new starters. It took them awhile to figure out who they wanted to use and how they wanted to play. You don't know how sustainable their level of play at the end of the season will be. As far as CT being consistent, they started 1-4 and finished 1-3. Like NY, they lost their playoff game to a lower seed. We can only generalize that the Sun were hot during the middle of the season.

As far as metrics go, I'm willing to bet the numbers weren't favorable to NY for any of the last three seasons. But if you want to talk about reality, the Liberty won games. Aren't wins the ultimate metric?

In terms of starting players returning from injury for CT, I can only think of Chiney. Who is the second? As far as I know, Chiney hasn't been on a court since she was injured. Players coming back from serious injury don't tend to be as effective in their first year back, and that's even if they've spent months on the court before their return. Given that Ogwumike's basketball activities (if any) are unknown, I don't think you can simply assume she'll make a major impact.

Again, I don't have any problem with you forecasting a drop for NY or a rise for CT. But last season, top of the league was 27 wins and last team into the playoffs had 15 wins. So, if you're forecasting the Sun as a championship contender and NY as a bubble team, then you're predicting about a 10-win gap. This from two teams that finished last season one game apart (NY higher), and with NY playing much better than CT at the end.

PostPosted: 03/04/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me put it this way.

The Team has a new HC it will take them a while to figure how they want to play. w/ a condensed season they wont have time to get in rythem so its safe to assume it will be a rough start.
your start and finish has a good point but I offer this rebuttal:
NYC first 4 games were a 2-2 when they should be 3-1(should beat storm)
Conn first 4 games 0-4(2lynx loss expected fever dream are should wins)
NYC's last 4 games were against 1 winning team
CONN last 4 games were against 3 winning teams

Chiney Morgan and bently arguably could start. thats three starters off the bench. Correct Chiney is coming off injury she has been playing and according to team and her social media she is back at obvi her mins will be limited to start to get her back at it but I apply the same to boyd that i do to chiney bad injury wont be back at full possbily every but by mid to end season at best could be back to glory days.
Im saying the stats scream that conn is going to be better (with our without Chiney) and that NYC has kept afloat or kept their spot even while they lacked in key stats. now obvi stats lie but at somepoint they will catch up with nyc. We differ on our views and thats ok infact i love it! I love we can debate this. really this is what i think the wnba needs more of fans not holding back with real op's

PostPosted: 03/05/18 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wnbainsidr wrote:

The liberty are an older team that ranked well on D(3rd) but bad on O (9th). They have not made any moves to better the team and haven't addresses in Our honest op the biggest needs, a PG to lead the O and stop the bleeding in transition(ranked 10th defensively and 12 Offensively). I don't think its trite or superficial to say that an amazing player like tina that is a consistent MVP candidate always gives them a chance to win. Just like Maya gives the Lynx Just like EDD gives Mystics and CP in LA.

Was the fact that Brittney Boyd was returning factored into this analysis?

Wnbainsidr

PostPosted: 03/05/18 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, it was. We went into this saying everything we know or has been officially released says chiney and Boyd are expected back healthy.
now obvi they will need to get sea legs but we assumed they will be back.
Feel strongly boyd was on the way to being what we view as the missing PG but the questions still remains, she made some great progress. Honestly prolly one of the most important players for this current team due to her position and possible upside.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 10:56 pm    ::: 2 new podcast, and a number 1 pick Feature Reply Reply with quote

this week its Lynx and Mystics

And a chat with Jewell Lloyd about a cool showcase she is sponsoring for young girls in Chicago. Also a few this season questions.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wnbainsidr-podcast/id1344311724?mt=2

RHW

PostPosted: 03/16/18 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This week Eli and Aryeh of WNBAinsidr cover LV aces and also Dream.

Discuss why ppl are so hype on ATL and what level of the rebuild LV are in.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/23/18 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merc Alert - Briann January episode
https://soundcloud.com/phoenixmercury/3-briann-january

PostPosted: 03/30/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wnbainsidr, sorry I'm responding to you guys so late. I explained why in a PM to RHW.

Here's my final comment on our previous conversation, I have no problems with any projection that NY will drop-off. I just think you're being over-optimistic about CT. If the undertow of improving lottery teams drags down the Liberty, the same will happen to most playoff teams from last season -- including the Sun. In addition, a lot of their success was based on hot 3-pt shooting early in their run that was facilitated by the unintentional gimmick of having a playmaking PF. Note that pre-All Star break CT shot 3's at a 41.3% rate versus 29.4% after the break. I know that once NY made the adjustment of not bringing help whenever A. Thomas drove to the basket, it completely changed their fortunes against CT. No more easy kick out passes for Alyssa, fewer wide open 3-pt shots for her teammates. NY went from being steamrolled in the first 3 halves to winning the next 5 halves comfortably. My guess is that other teams have already made or will make adjustments to A Thomas. Regarding young players and starters on the bench, we've learned the hard way in NY that young players often stagnate or drop-off rather than improve, and that starters on the bench usually perform significantly worse than they do as actual starters.

PostPosted: 04/02/18 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As presently constituted, I also see a similar drop-off for CT and NY. Hopefully draft day will result in some movement and improvement in an otherwise stagnant off-season for NY.

In general, 40%+ 3 point shooting can be difficult to sustain. Especially when in general your starting backcourt (J. Thomas, Williams) isn't composed of natural 3-point shooters.

But given the fact that quality players can be found until late in the first round of the draft, there's still the intrigue that a quality player could help out either CT or NY. Each team could be helped significantly by players with specific skill sets. Both team's starting lineups are basically set. But the right player in the draft for either team could enhance the types of matchups they come to battle with. CT has also proven itself ready to wheel and deal for the right player. Nobody is questioning that Jonquel Jones trade anymore. Now that teams are allowed to trade consecutive first-round picks for the first time, that could potentially lead to some intriguing movement unlike any we've ever seen before in the draft.

PostPosted: 04/11/18 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merc Alert - Draft Preview Edition with GM Jim Pitman
https://soundcloud.com/phoenixmercury/4-jim-pitman-and-the-2018-wnba-draft-preview

PostPosted: 04/24/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut has started SunCast

http://sun.wnba.com/suncast/

The downside being that they hired David Siegel of Dishin' & Swishin', so D&S is no more

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: