Board Junkies Forums

2019 EuroBasket Qualifiers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/11/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
As always, though, drafting a player who never shows up isn't good for much, and it's very hard to tell, it seems, which Euros are interested in playing in the WNBA.

Drafting Americans who are gone in a week ain't good for much either.

While the foreign player may not come over right away, they're younger and have several years to change their minds. In the meantime, they're playing overseas and getting better. Also, for a perennially good team, it's worth the roll of a dice because you're getting a shot at a high ceiling player who is not normally available because you always draft low. Most players are replaceable. It's the stars that are hard to find, and this is a low-cost way to try to steal a star.

PostPosted: 02/11/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
As always, though, drafting a player who never shows up isn't good for much, and it's very hard to tell, it seems, which Euros are interested in playing in the WNBA.

Drafting Americans who are gone in a week ain't good for much either.

While the foreign player may not come over right away, they're younger and have several years to change their minds. In the meantime, they're playing overseas and getting better. Also, for a perennially good team, it's worth the roll of a dice because you're getting a shot at a high ceiling player who is not normally available because you always draft low. Most players are replaceable. It's the stars that are hard to find, and this is a low-cost way to try to steal a star.

Given he's now at a different franchise it probably doesn't, but Chelsea Poppens one spot ahead of Emma Meesseman should haunt Brian Agler...

PostPosted: 02/11/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, I dunno what was with Samuelson. There were at least a couple of occasions where I wondered "isn't the whole point of you to take shots like that?" And virtually everyone else was jacking threes around her. In general, we were awfully fortunate that Portugal are pretty poor. We were rubbish most of the night, and somehow came away with a win. Israel aren't great either, but they'll stuff us if we play like that in the next game.

Today was the first time I watched a game specifically to pay attention to Musina (and Vadeeva, but I've seen plenty of her before). She's certainly not the finished article (especially defensively), but 19 years old, mobile, some ball skills, range to beyond the arc, and a legit 6-3 - there's plenty to like. I'd happily take her in the third round rather than some US kid you're gonna cut a week later. Maybe even the second.

I'll put you in a good seat on the bandwagon, but not the driver's seat. That still belongs to the person who replied to the tweet of my international draft article who believed that she was the top overall prospect. Most people are going off the U19 Championship, when she abused the USA team repeatedly. Most Americans at that age barely know how to defend a basic 1-4 pick and roll so it's no surprise that nobody knew what to do when the 4 was the ball handler and a guard was the pick player. I don't think that a WNBA team would ever let her play in that role so the intrigue is whether she'll develop into an elite pick and roll player on the European level, which would make her the bigger version of Sonja Petrovic. Her height helps her elevate pretty well on her shot and she should be able to get it off at any level. It will be interesting to see if she can ever defend any position on a functional level, although she is pretty useful in a zone.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/11/18 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, at the minute it's the classic tweener issue for Musina on D - not quite the quickness and mobility for perimeter players, not quite the strength and physicality for inside. And she just doesn't have the instincts yet. But again, she's 19. She's a sophomore if she's in the NCAA system. There's plenty of time.

PostPosted: 02/12/18 6:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Musina showed skill in Polkowice. Of course she was dragged there by her sister to play any minutes at all (knowing that good teams in Russia are loaded anyway). That just lasted a year and she left for UMMC rather not to see many minutes. Could be streaky offensively, but of course she's too young to have any idea of good D#.

Honestly not looking like a potentially big star. Russian roster is quite weak nowadays, all the big guns are gone and she's not storming her way through.

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 02/12/18 7:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The golden age might end pretty quickly for Belgium. The gap between Wauters and the next best available option at the 5 is extreme. Meesseman and Kim Mestdagh are not enough to consistently carry that team scoring wise.

awhom111

PostPosted: 02/13/18 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
The golden age might end pretty quickly for Belgium. The gap between Wauters and the next best available option at the 5 is extreme. Meesseman and Kim Mestdagh are not enough to consistently carry that team scoring wise.

Whoa, Linskens is based in your country. Hopefully she didn't read this!

I suppose they could naturalize a player? I forget what hoops they had to jump through for Matt Lojeski. Maybe they could get Celeste Trahan or something? I also can't remember what the story is with the players who never seem to play for them anymore. They could use Hind Ben Abdelkader.
awhom111

PostPosted: 02/14/18 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game 4:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2018/02/eurobasket-2019-qualifiers-game-4-february-13th-14th/

The triple-overtime game was obviously the headliner, but Alina Iagupova did her thing as always too.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/14/18 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, two questions about things I know I'll be worrying about in November:

a) Any tie, whether two-way or three-way, is decided by results just between the tied teams, rather than overall group results, right?

b) Do they throw out results against the bottom team in the groups to decide the 'six best second-placed teams'? Seems completely unnecessary with all the groups being the same size for once, but also seems like something FIBA would do anyway.

PostPosted: 03/02/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Okay, two questions about things I know I'll be worrying about in November:

a) Any tie, whether two-way or three-way, is decided by results just between the tied teams, rather than overall group results, right?

b) Do they throw out results against the bottom team in the groups to decide the 'six best second-placed teams'? Seems completely unnecessary with all the groups being the same size for once, but also seems like something FIBA would do anyway.

It would be nice to have all of this written down somewhere. Based on this week's revelation on how the men's qualifiers will work, the answers could be confusing and not based on anything we've ever known about.

Speaking of which, I noticed that the Great Britain men also have Greece and Israel in their group with Estonia instead of Portugal. I've been following them because of Eric Boateng. Talk about hard luck results.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/02/18 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Speaking of which, I noticed that the Great Britain men also have Greece and Israel in their group with Estonia instead of Portugal. I've been following them because of Eric Boateng. Talk about hard luck results.

Eh, hard luck or completely incapable of putting together a full 40 minutes? Without Luol Deng we just struggle to be good enough (even against Greece minus all their EuroLeague guys). We've never had the sort of continuity and chemistry that's a big part of a lot of the successful Euro and South American teams' runs. Oh, and our head coach recently quit/was fired for still largely undisclosed reasons. Not to mention that they're currently desperately trying to get the governement to provide enough money to keep the national teams alive. The whole thing's a shambles from top to bottom.

Gabe Olaseni's pretty damn good, though.

PostPosted: 11/16/18 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I put all of the videos for Saturday's games on one page:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2018/11/watch-all-saturdays-eurobasket-qualifiers-in-one-place/
awhom111

PostPosted: 11/17/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recap of Saturday's games:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2018/11/eurobasket-qualifiers-round-5-november-17th/
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/17/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We can never do anything the easy way...

PostPosted: 11/17/18 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
We can never do anything the easy way...

What is it going to take for Great Britain to qualify now? Just a win in the final group game against Portugal and they're good? Seems easy enough. Watch them stumble...in typical British fashion.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/17/18 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, win and we're in. Lose and we're almost certainly out, unless Israel do us a big favour and win in Greece. Our point-difference is terrible compared to the other potential second-placed teams, because so many of the games in our group have been tight.

PostPosted: 11/20/18 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wednesday games here:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2018/11/watch-all-wednesday-eurobasket-qualifiers-here-free/
awhom111

PostPosted: 11/21/18 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Roundup:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2018/11/eurobasket-qualifiers-round-6-november-21st/

Possible WNBA implications based on teams qualified?
Latvia: none known
Serbia: none known
Montenegro: Glory Johnson
Turkey: They've been using Quanitra Hollingsworth, but supposedly want to replace her with Kiah Stokes
Russia: Maria Vadeeva, Epiphanny Prince or Jamierra Faulkner?
Great Britain: Temi Fagbenle, Karlie Samuelson
France: Bria Hartley
Spain: likely Astou Ndour, unlikely any non-naturalized players in contention would be in position to avoid Spain's camp for the WNBA
Czech Republic: Kia Vaughn
Italy: Cecilia Zandalasini
Belarus: Alex Bentley
Slovenia: none known
Belgium: Emma Meesseman
Hungary: likely none since they've been using Cyesha Goree in the naturalized spot
Ukraine: none known
Sweden: Amanda Zahui B
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/22/18 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

God, it's been such a non-issue in the past that I hadn't even thought about that. Hopefully Temi and Karlie are committed enough to GB to show up. It might mean limited training time with the whole group but the tournament's only about 11 days (and significantly less if you don't make it past the first stage). None of these players would have to miss much WNBA time in order to participate.

We basically have a three-post rotation, one of whom is Temi, one is a converted small forward, and the third just retired. If Temi decided she was unavailable it would be an absolute horror show inside.

PostPosted: 11/22/18 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Makes you wonder if Meesseman might skip another WNBA season?

And any chance Katie Lou Samuelson plays for Great Britain as well?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/22/18 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Makes you wonder if Meesseman might skip another WNBA season?

Doubt it for the two weeks of EuroBasket Women. At worst she could show up for the second half of the season and the playoffs once it was done.

toad455 wrote:
And any chance Katie Lou Samuelson plays for Great Britain as well?

If they count as naturalised (not sure they do, as they could've had the passports since they were kids), then we'd have to pick one. And it's always been assumed that Katie Lou was too good and would stay in the USA Basketball system. She may also have already played in tournaments that make her officially American, but after Jonquel Jones who knows if that matters any more.

PostPosted: 12/12/18 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Draw:

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/13/18 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you're going to struggle to find a happy Belarussian women's basketball fan right now. Group of Death's pretty easy to spot.

PostPosted: 04/25/19 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Preliminary rosters are starting to be named.

Hungary intends to use Yvonne Turner as their naturalized player.

France did not also bring in Gabby Williams. I am still curious about her qualification for citizenship since France doesn't do snap naturalization, but nobody seems to know.
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/25/19 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Preliminary rosters are starting to be named.

Hungary intends to use Yvonne Turner as their naturalized player.

France did not also bring in Gabby Williams. I am still curious about her qualification for citizenship since France doesn't do snap naturalization, but nobody seems to know.

Her mother is French.

Quote:
“My sister and I got matching tattoos saying nothing will break our bond in French,” Williams said. “My mom is French, and the rose, she has roses tattooed on her body. Especially now with her (sister)being pregnant, we have gotten even closer and even in the future I can look at it and know nothing can break our bond.”

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/UConn-freshman-Gabby-Williams-works-to-get-better-11373609.php

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: