RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How about a different tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/28/18 5:55 pm    ::: How about a different tournament Reply Reply with quote

Let's take the bottom 4 teams from the P5 conferences and give them their own tournament. We could call it the 'best of the worst.' I just feel bad for them losing all season, then losing again in the first two days of their conference tournies where they just play and lose to the same teams who already beat them. At least this way they could lose to someone different. And it might even be interesting for those wanting to show that one conference is better than another.

so, ok, yeah, I'm bored with the current level of play and trying to be creative.

- Amanda Gorman
Matt5762

PostPosted: 02/28/18 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some conferences already have this and after watching some of Ole Miss and Florida today, I can't really say it's something I'd be excited to see more of.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/28/18 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle, yer such a wretch, the way you suck me into agreeing with you. Razz

And while I agree, then more questions arise: what about the Georgia States, Virginia Techs, Rutgers, USCs, Oklahomas and Alabamas that played tough, but aren't gonna make it? Okay, maybe they'll get the NIT bids. And what about the 4th and 5th place teams in one-bid conferences that really did well, comparatively, but get no post-season?

<Sigh!> I'm afraid we're such bleeding-hearted libs, you 'n me. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/28/18 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
Some conferences already have this and after watching some of Ole Miss and Florida today, I can't really say it's something I'd be excited to see more of.

But what about watching Florida play Washington St. or Kansas play Pittsburgh....

ok, yeah you have a point. I just feel bad for these seniors who have to end it all in such a discouraging way. But who knows, maybe they're happy to get it over with.

And Howee, to your point, I do think there should be a mid major play off as well. I'd love to see Belmont, Green Bay, Central Michigan, Western Kentucky, etc.. duke it out instead of doing the one and done thing in the NCAA.

- Amanda Gorman
StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/28/18 6:56 pm    ::: Re: How about a different tournament Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Let's take the bottom 4 teams from the P5 conferences and give them their own tournament. We could call it the 'best of the worst.' I just feel bad for them losing all season, then losing again in the first two days of their conference tournies where they just play and lose to the same teams who already beat them. At least this way they could lose to someone different. And it might even be interesting for those wanting to show that one conference is better than another.

so, ok, yeah, I'm bored with the current level of play and trying to be creative.

Isn't that what the NIT is for?

Or is this something like a "participation trophy" tournament?

PostPosted: 02/28/18 9:00 pm    ::: Re: How about a different tournament Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

When i first read your suggestion it seemed unmercifully cruel. Take Arizona, Boston College, Texas Tech and Illinois as the four worst, and Vandy gets screwed(or celebrated) as the best of the worst.. But if you mean 4 teams each, then add in the Big East,, because their bottom 4 are as good as anyone.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/28/18 10:11 pm    ::: Re: How about a different tournament Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Isn't that what the NIT is for?

Or is this something like a "participation trophy" tournament?

These are the teams that couldn't qualify for the NIT either. Yep, I guess it is kind of a participation trophy tournament. Some teams are so beat up at this point that they don't want to play anymore, but some of these teams are just really young and it would give them a flavor of postseason play. I said it half in jest, but also halfway meant it...realizing of course it will never happen. Wink

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 02/28/18 10:19 pm    ::: Re: How about a different tournament Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
These are the teams that couldn't qualify for the NIT either.

So, the WBI

http://www.womensbasketballinvitational.com/landing/index

144 D-I teams qualify for post-season play now. That's more than enough.

PostPosted: 03/01/18 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
And Howee, to your point, I do think there should be a mid major play off as well. I'd love to see Belmont, Green Bay, Central Michigan, Western Kentucky, etc.. duke it out instead of doing the one and done thing in the NCAA.

I really like this idea. You could have the existing D-I tourney and add a I-MM tourney, kind of like the football FBS and FCS dichotomy.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/01/18 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Matt5762 wrote:

But what about watching Florida play Washington St. or Kansas play Pittsburgh....

ok, yeah you have a point. I just feel bad for these seniors who have to end it all in such a discouraging way. But who knows, maybe they're happy to get it over with.

Well, think of it this way. The Pitt women are doing better than the Pitt men. They have 2 conference wins. The men are 0 and whatever in conference with one game left to play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: