RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Olympic 3x3 basketball

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/27/18 6:09 pm    ::: Olympic 3x3 basketball Reply Reply with quote

I am intrigued by the possibilities for 3x3 basketball in the 2020 Olympics. The format is different and requires more versatility but it also means a country just needs 4 good players to be competitive.

The US 's qualification procedure seems to be based on teams playing in tournaments. It doesn't look like it would be something that WNBA players could be involved in unless they time off to qualify. It seems tailor-made for college players to take part in.

I am equally intrigued by what other countries could be contenders. The Bahamas could throw Jonquel Jones and 3 others out there. Hungary could use Allie Quigley and three of their other players and make a run. Turkey has several naturalized players who could play. Any others?

Randy

PostPosted: 02/27/18 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many naturalized players can a team run in a four person team?

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/27/18 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I haven't seen specific rules. I just assumed one just for fun.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/27/18 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your comment about Turkey having several naturalized players confused me then. Also, I recall that both Hayes and Morello played in a 3 on 3 tournament for Azerbaijan. That was in the "Euro Games" whatever that was, so may not be the case for the Olympics.

I don't really like the idea as it will just lead to more players missing WNBA games for their National Team in whatever country offers them the best deal. We could have half the WNBA players being on someone's national team eventually. Countries wouldn't need to have the same NT for the Basketball and 3 on 3.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/27/18 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Your comment about Turkey having several naturalized players confused me then. Also, I recall that both Hayes and Morello played in a 3 on 3 tournament for Azerbaijan. That was in the "Euro Games" whatever that was, so may not be the case for the Olympics.

I don't really like the idea as it will just lead to more players missing WNBA games for their National Team in whatever country offers them the best deal. We could have half the WNBA players being on someone's national team eventually. Countries wouldn't need to have the same NT for the Basketball and 3 on 3.

Sorry, Turkey has Quanitra Hollingsworth and LaToya Sanders but can only take one on their traditional basketball team. I was thinking the second one could play 3x3 if they wanted.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/27/18 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney, Skylar Diggins and Bria Hartley played in a 3x3 tournament while still in collge.

http://pac-12.com/article/2012/10/22/ogwumike-diversifies-game-3-3-experience

awhom111

PostPosted: 02/27/18 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Randy wrote:

I haven't seen specific rules. I just assumed one just for fun.

It's a little unclear and probably needs to be formalized at some point. The only team I know of that generally uses naturalized players in official FIBA 3x3 events is the Qatar men and I believe they've always had one in the four.

Besides Sanders and Hollingsworth, I believe these are the other currently active naturalized Turkish players:
Barbara Turner/Bahar Ozturk
Michelle Campbell/Melisa Can
Kristen Newlin/Nevin Nevlin

I was going to start a thread like this to see if anyone had fun squads they could come up with.

The four Ogwumike sisters representing Nigeria would be cool. My fake Philippines team of Cait Craft/Kelly Hardeman/Kelli Hayes/Chay Shegog would be nice. It does help countries that lack depth put out a more competitive team. Puerto Rico could suit up three guards alongside Jazmon Gwathmey for example while in 5x5 they have to rely on one or two post players with no real players behind them.

I like coming up with Duke ones for fun. Beard/Bass/Currie/Black for the old school. Gray/Peters/Selby/Scheer for the more recent crew. Trying to come up with names can also be fun, although I am much better at it for men's teams. (This is probably not the right time for me to suggest a "Bahamian Rhapsody" team of Buddy Hield, Eric Gordon, Klay Thompson, and DeAndre Ayton.) Adding Alyssa Thomas to Jasmine Thomas, Krystal Thomas, and Karima Christmas (who should find three more players to get a Dominica team together) has name potential.
pilight

PostPosted: 02/27/18 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

That evidently didn't count, since Hayes is now in the pool for Team USA.

PostPosted: 02/28/18 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

That evidently didn't count, since Hayes is now in the pool for Team USA.

It was not a FIBA event

awhom111

PostPosted: 02/28/18 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now I've been thinking about more hypothetical 3x3 teams. Unfortunately 2020 is probably too late for the Purcell sisters to play as one team for New Zealand.

Seminole Spaniards: Leticia Romero, Leonor Rodriguez, Maria Conde, Iho Lopez
Seminal Seminoles: Roneeka Hodges, Jacinta Monroe, Cierra Bravard, Natasha Howard
Tri-Heels: Latta, Little, Larkins, Sanders (can't believe nobody from there has stuck since)
TheRealUNC: Jessica Washington, Allisha Gray, Diamond DeShields, Stephanie Mavunga
Hurricane Handful: Johnson, Williams, Suriya McGuire, Morgan Stroman
Terrapin Torture (for me): Toliver, Coleman, Thomas, Langhorne
Knight-mare: Pondexter, Ajavon, Carson, Copper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: