RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/27/18 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, he stated that it was a fair enough that deal that he would have done it, not that he preferred it.

Quote:
If the Mystics can land Delle Donne without giving up their sharpshooting PF/C Emma Meesseman (considered un-tradable by the Mystics, according to the Vice article) they'll likely have one of the most potent offenses in the league.

Doesn’t sound like he preferred getting rid of Meesseman there.

And in that article that you posted, it states Chicago should have been concerned about Meesseman not showing up using national team commitments as an excuse. But he didn’t foresee that as a problem for the Mystics. Now he’s second-guessing and intimating Thibault should have known better.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/10/18 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/27/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
No, he stated that it was a fair enough that deal that he would have done it, not that he preferred it.

Quote:
If the Mystics can land Delle Donne without giving up their sharpshooting PF/C Emma Meesseman (considered un-tradable by the Mystics, according to the Vice article) they'll likely have one of the most potent offenses in the league.

And in that article that you posted, it states Chicago should have been concerned about Meesseman not showing up using national team commitments as an excuse. But he didn’t foresee that as a problem for the Mystics. Now he’s second-guessing and intimidating Thibault should have known better.

He never said she was untradeable. He is basing both his articles on the premise that the Mystics had said she was untradeable. He's therefore not wasting the readers' time with what-if scenarios that he knows will not happen. In fact, he DID point out that she would miss time which is why he put her in the long-term loser category.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/27/18 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

And in that article that you posted, it states Chicago should have been concerned about Meesseman not showing up using national team commitments as an excuse. But he didn’t foresee that as a problem for the Mystics. Now he’s second-guessing and intimidating Thibault should have known better.

He never said she was untradeable. He is basing both his articles on the premise that the Mystics had said she was untradeable. He's therefore not wasting the readers' time with what-if scenarios that he knows will not happen.

I can see why you’re defending this guy for his hindsight. You’re using the same kind of logic that you used when you initially liked the SEA trade of their first round pick for Swords and later criticized when it didn’t pan out. You said your initial response was based on assuming the GM knew what she was doing. Huh? You’re supposed to have your own opinion and own up to it, and among this author’s opinions are Meesseman is “sharpshooting” and would be part of “one of the most potent offenses”, and that’s just in that one small quote.

Nerd2 wrote:
In fact, he DID point out that she would miss time which is why he put her in the long-term loser category.

Where did he do this?

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/27/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

He never said she was untradeable. He is basing both his articles on the premise that the Mystics had said she was untradeable. He's therefore not wasting the readers' time with what-if scenarios that he knows will not happen.

I can see why you’re defending this guy for his hindsight. You’re using the same kind of logic that you used when you initially liked the SEA trade of their first round pick for Swords and later criticized when it didn’t pan out. You said your initial response was based on assuming the GM knew what she was doing. Huh? You’re supposed to have your own opinion and own up to it, and among this author’s opinions are Meesseman is “sharpshooting” and would be part of “one of the most potent offenses”, and that’s just in that one small quote.

Nerd2 wrote:
In fact, he DID point out that she would miss time which is why he put her in the long-term loser category.

Where did he do this?

The other readers can read the two articles and judge for themselves. I found the writer to lay out a logical argument. It makes his current article look like the realization of his concerns last year.

Why does this always turn into a personal attack? It also veers off topic and brings in some previous topic that has no bearing on this conversation. I won't even argue how you cherry-picked my statements to form this argument. It's an attempt to deflect and if you want to play it that way, fine. He is using a piece of insider information that he has in order to make an analysis. He is not wasting the readers' time by throwing out scenarios that he knows will not happen. It's similar to what I was doing when I insisted that Natasha Howard was not a lock to stay in Minnesota and threw out ignored hints that Renee Montgomery would be moving on. Someone else stuck his neck waaay out with the opposite argument and ended up looking bad when his amazing knowledge got proven wrong.

Last edited by Nerd2 on 02/27/18 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/27/18 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Nerd2 wrote:

Where did he do this?

The other readers can read the two articles and judge for themselves. I found the writer to lay out a logical argument. It makes his current article look like the realization of his concerns last year.

Why does this always turn into a personal attack brings in some previous topic that has no bearing on this conversation. I won't even argue how you cherry-picked my statements to form this argument. It's an attempt to deflect and if you want to play it that way, fine. He is using a piece of insider information that he has in order to make an analysis. He is not wasting the readers' time by throwing out scenarios that he knows will not happen. It's similar to what I was doing when I insisted that Natasha Howard was not a lock to stay in Minnesota and threw out ignored hints that Renee Montgomery would be moving on. Someone else stuck his neck waaay out with the opposite argument and ended up looking bad when his amazing knowledge got proven wrong.

Shocked Shocked Embarassed Embarassed Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/27/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
It's similar to what I was doing when I insisted that Natasha Howard was not a lock to stay in Minnesota and threw out ignored hints that Renee Montgomery would be moving on. Someone else stuck his neck waaay out with the opposite argument and ended up looking bad when his amazing knowledge got proven wrong.

Served. Cool

PostPosted: 02/27/18 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's unfortunate Shades' skin is so thin, and he/she makes things personal.

PostPosted: 02/27/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
It's similar to what I was doing when I insisted that Natasha Howard was not a lock to stay in Minnesota and threw out ignored hints that Renee Montgomery would be moving on. Someone else stuck his neck waaay out with the opposite argument and ended up looking bad when his amazing knowledge got proven wrong.

Served. Cool

That’s Nerd serving up some hypocrisy. She considers me bringing up how she was in favor of the Swords trade (and having good reason doing so) as a “personal attack” and look how she actually got personal there.... and talk about deflection.

Yeah, I considered Howard a lock. There’s no shame in that. She’s a good player and the team article stated the team wanted her back. That’s a fact.

Nerd was trying to say Howard wasn’t a lock because the Lynx couldn’t afford her. This wasn’t a fact.

As of now, nobody knows for sure why the Lynx didn’t sign Howard after previously stating in the article they wanted her back. One could surmise that Wade now has a lot of influence in the signings, and they decided to go with this French player he’s familiar with instead. If it works out, great. Seems pretty risky to me if you’re going for that drive for five this season.

As far as Montgomery goes, I was the one who pointed out the Lynx had doubts about her in that same Lynx season preview article. So I was not at all surprised she signed elsewhere. Somebody obviously gave her a better multi-year deal. Right now I’m not particularly happy they didn’t sign her because what have they got now? Are they going to sign that other French player they drafted? Putting all the eggs in the French basket?

I’m less about making predictions on what the Lynx will do, and more about giving opinions about what they should do and have done. See the difference?

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/27/18 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Very unfortunate.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/27/18 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Very unfortunate.

At a certain point it becomes pointless to respond, too. When the software comes in to selectively block individuals, I suspect there will be a lot less getting under his skin, too.

Back to Meesseman, though. She is in a similar position to Ramu Tokashiki as the absolute star of her team. It sounds like Thibault decided that a few months of rest and preparation might be better for her long-term. The Belgian team has a closing window though unless they get a next generation talent to replace Ann Wauters.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/27/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the perspective of the Belgians it makes perfect sense. Most teams want their squad together for the weeks leading up to a major tornament, so that they can prepare. So they don't really give a toss about her being in the US for May, June, July, and even most of August. But the US runs it really close with the WNBA playoffs and the Worlds. The playoffs start August 21st and might not end until September 16th; the Worlds start on September 22nd. So inevitably, the time they'd want her to miss clashes with the playoffs (assuming the team stuck around for a round or two).

Might not be great for the Aussies, either. Both some key players and their head coach could potentially be otherwise engaged until five days before the Worlds start 5,000 miles away. Alternatively, Wings fans might not be too happy if Cambage carries them to their best ever season and then buggers off just as the playoffs start.

PostPosted: 02/27/18 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

Served. Cool

That’s Nerd serving up some hypocrisy. She considers me bringing up how she was in favor of the Swords trade (and having good reason doing so) as a “personal attack” and look how she actually got personal there.... and talk about deflection.

Yeah, I considered Howard a lock. There’s no shame in that. She’s a good player and the team article stated the team wanted her back.

That’s a fact.

Nerd was trying to say Howard wasn’t a lock because the Lynx couldn’t afford her. This wasn’t a fact.

As of now, nobody knows for sure why the Lynx didn’t sign Howard after previously stating in the article they wanted her back. One could surmise that Wade now has a lot of influence in the signings, and they decided to go with this French player he’s familiar with instead. If it works out, great. Seems pretty risky to me if you’re going for that drive for five this season.

As far as Montgomery goes, I was the one who pointed out the Lynx had doubts about her in that same Lynx season preview article. So I was not at all surprised she signed elsewhere. Somebody obviously gave her a better multi-year deal. Right now I’m not particularly happy they didn’t sign her because what have they got now? Are they going to sign that other French player they drafted? Putting all the eggs in the French basket?

I’m less about making predictions on what the Lynx will do, and more about giving opinions about what they should do and have done. See the difference?

Laughing Laughing Laughing You might be better off going back to the basement instead of trying to justify your BS. Tuck your tail between your legs, and go home. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/27/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
From the perspective of the Belgians it makes perfect sense. Most teams want their squad together for the weeks leading up to a major tornament, so that they can prepare. So they don't really give a toss about her being in the US for May, June, July, and even most of August. But the US runs it really close with the WNBA playoffs and the Worlds. The playoffs start August 21st and might not end until September 16th; the Worlds start on September 22nd. So inevitably, the time they'd want her to miss clashes with the playoffs (assuming the team stuck around for a round or two).

Might not be great for the Aussies, either. Both some key players and their head coach could potentially be otherwise engaged until five days before the Worlds start 5,000 miles away. Alternatively, Wings fans might not be too happy if Cambage carries them to their best ever season and then buggers off just as the playoffs start.

According to the article, the Belgians were willing to let her play the regular season but wanted her to miss the playoffs, which is why I feel Thibault just decided that a season of rest made sense.

The timing is so tight, too. In order to fit it all in, the Finals would need to start around Thursday, Sep 6. Even a sweep would end on the following Tuesday or Wednesday which would be 10 days before the first World Cup game.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 02/27/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Very unfortunate.

At a certain point it becomes pointless to respond, too. When the software comes in to selectively block individuals, I suspect there will be a lot less getting under his skin, too.

Back to Meesseman, though. She is in a similar position to Ramu Tokashiki as the absolute star of her team. It sounds like Thibault decided that a few months of rest and preparation might be better for her long-term. The Belgian team has a closing window though unless they get a next generation talent to replace Ann Wauters.

This is probably the main reason why Emma is sitting out. This World Cup is the biggest event the Cats will probably ever have a real fighting chance in. 3 stars surrounded by role players is doable, only 2 and it gets a LOT tougher (see the Lynx-Mystics series from last season). Wauters is still their go-to in crucial situations and I'm not aware of any player on that squad that even looks to have a chance at filling her shoes. This World Cup is do or die for Belgium, and Emma is treating it that way.

I'm not even sure just how much this really affects the Mystics. Nobody had us beating Lynx/Sparks this year anyways, so we're aiming at taking some games in the semis? Meh. Delle Donne by herself might get us back to semis. 2019 is when the juggernauts should fall off, that's when we need the full strength team.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/18 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics are looking for a wing player in the 2018 WNBA Draft

https://www.bulletsforever.com/mystics/2018/4/6/17207216/mike-thibault-wnba-draft-wing-players

Quote:
she’s essentially a young TRP

PostPosted: 04/06/18 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talk about damning by faint praise.....

Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/18 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://www.bulletsforever.com/mystics/2018/4/6/17207216/mike-thibault-wnba-draft-wing-players

Quote:

How many assists did TRP have in her last two years of college? Gabby is way more versatile. I doubt Gabby falls that far, but if she does, nice pick up for them.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/06/18 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

How many assists did TRP have in her last two years of college? Gabby is way more versatile. I doubt Gabby falls that far, but if she does, nice pick up for them.

Also how many points did TRP have her senior year vs Gabby's ? That will play an important factor also.

PostPosted: 04/06/18 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Also how many points did TRP have her senior year vs Gabby's ? That will play an important factor also.

Ruffin-Pratt scored 541 points as a senior, compared to 402 for Williams

Assists in their last two college seasons: 210 for TRP, 381 for GW.

Williams is likely to be drafted higher than Ruffin-Pratt was.

PostPosted: 04/06/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I mentioned on Twitter the other day, Kia Nurse strikes me as very Thibaultian. Except that she might be too good of a shooter compared to the wings he's thrown out over the years.

PostPosted: 04/07/18 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Ruffin-Pratt scored 541 points as a senior, compared to 402 for Williams

Assists in their last two college seasons: 210 for TRP, 381 for GW.

Williams is likely to be drafted higher than Ruffin-Pratt was.

If Gabby Williams gets drafted at all, she'll be drafted higher than TRP. Ruffin-Pratt was an undrafted camp invite who made the roster and has lasted through several drafts.

~rAf
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/08/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of these two players being compared can/has:

High jump 6 ft; 2.25 inches.
Jump 36 inch off the floor.
Rebound, drive through the defense and score at the other end.
Make unbelievable passes and has great passing skills.
Defend better than 99.97% of all college players.
Drive quicker/faster and use either hand to score.
Completely disrupt an opposing offense.
Play hard for 40 minutes straight without hardly breaking a sweat.
Dives and saves any loose ball within range.
Steal the basketball from a locked safe.
Run faster than a speeding bullet.
Has the heart of a lion.
Played on two College Championship teams and four final fours.
Rebounds like a gazelle and scores put-backs.
Consensus first team All American more than once.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/08/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
One of these two players being compared can/has:

High jump 6 ft; 2.25 inches.
Jump 36 inch off the floor.
Rebound, drive through the defense and score at the other end.
Make unbelievable passes and has great passing skills.
Defend better than 99.97% of all college players.
Drive quicker/faster and use either hand to score.
Completely disrupt an opposing offense.
Play hard for 40 minutes straight without hardly breaking a sweat.
Dives and saves any loose ball within range.
Steal the basketball from a locked safe.
Run faster than a speeding bullet.
Has the heart of a lion.
Played on two College Championship teams and four final fours.
Rebounds like a gazelle and scores put-backs.
Consensus first team All American more than once.

Lets wait until her WNBA Career begins to judge....

PostPosted: 04/12/18 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG: Toliver/Cloud
SG: Hill/Walker-Kimbrough/Atkins
SF: Ruffin-Pratt/Currie
PF: Delle Donne/Sanders/Peters
C: KThomas/Hawkins

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/12/18 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver/Cloud
Atkins/Walker-Kimbrough/Hill(until 100%)
Currie/Ruffin-Pratt
Delle Donne/Hawkins/Hines-Allen
KThomas/Sanders

Greenwell (deferred)

This is kinda yuck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: