RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/18 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn’t it kind of rare for Canadians to skip a whole WNBA season for national team purposes? It’s like they’re part of the USA. Their best young prospects tend to develop their skills on American college teams, and the best of those players move onto the WNBA. The jaunt to and from Canada to USA is pretty painless.

I think someone like Achonwa is smart enough to know that if she were to take off a year from the WNBA that somebody could easily step in her place and she might not ever get her spot back.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/22/18 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Sucks for the Liberty. But opens the door for Ibekwe to make the team.

It's Raincock-Ekunwe's life and career and I certainly can't argue with her decision. But I wish she were back with the Liberty for 2018. I thought she was a real plus last season and would have helped even more this year. I hope that Ibekwe or our first-round draft pick can give us what Nayo did.

PostPosted: 02/22/18 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty have signed Jillian Alleyne to a training camp contract. If Alleyne is healthy and can put up solid numbers, maybe Zahui B just lost her job.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
LibFan25

PostPosted: 02/22/18 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
It looks like Nayo is skipping this season:

Quote:
When Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe got around to determining her summer basketball plans, Canada won out because the 26-year-old Toronto-born forward knows what a special feeling representing the country — and winning — can be.

The six-foot-two forward, who had an excellent rookie season with the New York Liberty last summer, has decided to take a year off from the WNBA to prepare to help Canada make a medal run at this summer’s world basketball championships.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2018/02/06/canadas-senior-womens-basketball-team-begins-its-journey-toward-world-championships.html

This is bad news. she was a spark off the bench with her athleticism and speed running down the court. she was one of my fav's last year.

now i'm ok with getting Monique Billings if we can grab her in the first round with the 10th pick. get either Billings, Nared, Nurse, or Vivians and ill be happy Lib fan

toad455

PostPosted: 02/22/18 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Alleyne can play again like she did in college, she'll be a good pick-up. I still like Billings at #10 for New York.

PG: Boyd/L. Allen
SG: Prince/Rodgers/Hartley
SF: Zellous/Ibekwe
PF: Charles/Alleyne/Billings
C: Vaughn/Stokes
GONE: R. Allen/Zahui B.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/22/18 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Liberty have signed Jillian Alleyne to a training camp contract. If Alleyne is healthy and can put up solid numbers, maybe Zahui B just lost her job.

I imagine Alleyne is more of a replacement for what Nayo brought than what Amanda brought.

(now with spelling variations)
Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/22/18 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Isn’t it kind of rare for Canadians to skip a whole WNBA season for national team purposes? It’s like they’re part of the USA. Their best young prospects tend to develop their skills on American college teams, and the best of those players move onto the WNBA. The jaunt to and from Canada to USA is pretty painless.

I think someone like Achonwa is smart enough to know that if she were to take off a year from the WNBA that somebody could easily step in her place and she might not ever get her spot back.

It is not rare for any non-US team members to take the season off to prepare. And getting team unity is a lot more effort than just flying in on game days. Even the Lynx state that they need time to regain their chemistry when they get to training camp.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/22/18 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

It is not rare for any non-US team members to take the season off to prepare. And getting team unity is a lot more effort than just flying in on game days. Even the Lynx state that they need time to regain their chemistry when they get to training camp.

The Native Born Citizens of other countries do seem to take more time off than the Citizens of Fortune when National Team duty calls. Sancho usually to take off as lyttle time as possible from her NT. So far Hayes and Morello have only missed 5 games for Mother Azerbaijan. I recall Erika taking off in the playoffs and missing half of a season for Brazil once. (Of course, my dear Izi hardley ever took time off and even quit once and got kicked off another time from her NT providing a good counter-example.)

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/22/18 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just looked at Alleyne's boxscores in Spain, and I don't know what to make of them. She came off the bench in her first 3 games and didn't do much. Then, Jillian started the next six games and put up pretty good numbers. After that, she went back to the bench for 4 games and hardly played at all -- doing very little when given a chance. Now, in the last two games, Alleyne is back to being a starter and she put up big numbers. Anybody know if Jillian was injured for a while?

PostPosted: 02/22/18 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Solid enough talent that it’s certainly worth a flyer. And she’s probably got quicker feet than Zahui. And the obvious rebounding element. If nothing else she will probably give somebody either a run for their money or an intense physical battle in exchange for winning a roster spot.

PostPosted: 02/22/18 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think any of these moves are really pushing the needle in terms of the overall end result for The Liberty, but it did just make training camp interesting, and competition for the last few spots just got fierce.

I am a little torn, I've rooted for Ibekwe to make a team for a while, and Alleyne has over come some injuries after being a decent prospect to get herself back into serious consideration for the league but, I also really like R. Allen and Zahui B and before these signings was hoping they were ready to take that next big step forward in their development. I can even see these signing being the match that lights the fire under them in camp because their jobs are definitely on the line, but I will be bummed for whoever doesn't make it out of the four.

So ATM it looks like it's

Zahui B vs Alleyne
and
B. Allen vs Ibekwe

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/18 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don’t think there’s much fear there, Spooner. Smile

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/23/18 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excluding Nayo, the Liberty have 9 people playing overseas right now. 7 are on teams likely bound for the playoffs, which means they're at risk of coming in late. Without training camp invitees, Day 1 in camp could potentially be just Tina, the two Allens, three draft picks, and a recovering Brittany Boyd. Not much you can do with only 7 players. Whether these camp participants are real contenders for roster spots or not, the Liberty still need warm bodies to run scrimmages. Adding Faris, Ibekwe, and Alleyne gets them to ten. I'd expect New York to sign at least another couple of players before camp starts.

PostPosted: 02/23/18 2:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So here are some thoughts on others I wouldn't mind seeing in camp.

Full disclosure I got this list looking over the last few drafts and have no idea how they are doing over-seas or if they are injured. They were all players that seemed close to sticking (or even stuck for a moment) so maybe they've developed, also focused on SF as are biggest need and maybe some posts

Shayla Cooper, Whitney Knight, Briana Butler, Reshanda Gray, Lauren Mincy, Crystal Bradford (borrowed the idea from root), Nyingifa, Pop (just some names that caught my attention in the over-seas thread) and our own retreads Alston, Kai James, The Turkish player we drafted years ago Cakir and of course I'm curious if there have been any social media sightings of Shoni Schimmel that might imply an attempted return.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/23/18 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alleyne had a reputation, deserved or not I can't really say, for putting up points and rebounds numbers but not helping the team in other ways. Not a good defender, questions about basketball IQ, etc.

Of course, people grow and learn, but the up-and-down Spanish results sound like something to be concerned about.

PostPosted: 02/23/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These training camp players are longshots, but I guess we should stilll bring in people who potentially fill a need. I would go for post players 6-5 or taller and wing players 6-0 or taller. Despite all the talk about Laimbeer loving size, he left us with a smallish team.

PostPosted: 02/23/18 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
These training camp players are longshots, but I guess we should stilll bring in people who potentially fill a need. I would go for post players 6-5 or taller and wing players 6-0 or taller. Despite all the talk about Laimbeer loving size, he left us with a smallish team.

Agreed.

PostPosted: 02/24/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odd to have a signing on a Saturday [evening], but they Liberty have signed Reshanda Gray to a training camp contract.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/24/18 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Odd to have a signing on a Saturday [evening], but they Liberty have signed Reshanda Gray to a training camp contract.

Alright she was on my list above. Anyone know if she is and how well Gray is doing over-seas?

Also if we have a couple more I would give Shayla Cooper a look, she is a small forward, seemed to have some game (while a little inconsistent) and she has that Ohio State connection to Katie Smith.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/24/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When one undersized 4 decides she's not coming, apparently you have to sign a couple more to fill that overwhelming hole.

PostPosted: 02/25/18 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Between the three they've signed, I'd pick Gray over Alleyne & Ibekwe now.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/25/18 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Between the three they've signed, I'd pick Gray over Alleyne & Ibekwe now.

well the P12 is well represented. Wink

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/26/18 4:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

depth chart before draft

Hartley/Boyd/L. Allen
Prince/Rodgers/Faris
Zelous/B. Allen/Ibekwe
Charles/Zahui B/Gray
Stokes/Vaughn/Alleyne

LibFan25

PostPosted: 02/26/18 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
depth chart before draft

Hartley/Boyd/L. Allen
Prince/Rodgers/Faris
Zelous/B. Allen/Ibekwe
Charles/Zahui B/Gray
Stokes/Vaughn/Alleyne

that's 15 in camp so far, then 3 more from the draft.

the only player i see making the team out of the recent signings is maybe Gray.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/26/18 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
depth chart before draft

Hartley/Boyd/L. Allen
Prince/Rodgers/Faris
Zelous/B. Allen/Ibekwe
Charles/Zahui B/Gray
Stokes/Vaughn/Alleyne

that's 15 in camp so far, then 3 more from the draft.

the only player i see making the team out of the recent signings is maybe Gray.

As Root said in an early post we'll have a bunch of player arriving late (pretty much anyone in Turkey or Russia which I think is Hartley, Prince, Zelous, Zahui B, Stokes and Vaughn) so even with the new signees and our three draft picks we can probably bring a couple more players in for the early part of camp.

I'm still thinking the 11 players from last year and the #10 pick are pretty safe but,

of our current invitees my feeling is Ibekwe could displace R. Allen

I also won't be too shocked if near or on draft day we do a two for one trade which could also open up a spot for an invitee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 31 of 90

Jump to: