RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Right now, the team you think will win the NC is:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 02/26/18 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going with South Carolina, if things line up they could win, if not Uconn.
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/26/18 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like UCONN followed by Notre Dame, MS State, oregon

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/26/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
Well, if *playing* at this prognostication is allowed, I can only say this: I really believe TX and OR will be in the final four. That is all my intuitive vibe allows me at the moment. 8)

I'd say that scenario is highly unlikely.

The one thing about it that makes sense is that both will likely be 2 seeds and if Texas can find its way to Kansas City they would both have the crowds behind them. So if nothing else it is bold.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/26/18 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sleeper Pick , Baylor !

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/26/18 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Sleeper Pick , Baylor !

Sleeper?? Not in my mind.

PostPosted: 02/26/18 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Sleeper Pick , Baylor !

Seems everyone is penciling in UCONN vs MSST but the bears will be there ! EDIT : NOT without Wallace though Embarassed This really sucks hopefully not the ACL !

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 02/26/18 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/26/18 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
Well, if *playing* at this prognostication is allowed, I can only say this: I really believe TX and OR will be in the final four. That is all my intuitive vibe allows me at the moment. Cool

I'd say that scenario is highly unlikely.

The one thing about it that makes sense is that both will likely be 2 seeds and if Texas can find its way to Kansas City they would both have the crowds behind them. So if nothing else it is bold.

Ducks don't play D. They've played 2 athletic teams all year and were beaten soundly both times.The Pac12 is back to relative crap no matter what Andy says and isn't a worthwhile barometer, imo.

Oh yeah, ucla is athletic but they can't shoot ...oh shit did wallace just tear her acl??

PostPosted: 02/27/18 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Sleeper Pick , Baylor !

Seems everyone is penciling in UCONN vs MSST but the bears will be there ! EDIT : NOT without Wallace though Embarassed This really sucks hopefully not the ACL !

I wouldn’t consider Baylor a “sleeper” anyway (and still don’t). To me, a sleeper describes a darker horse candidate, more in the lines of a #4 seed or deeper.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/27/18 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Seems everyone is penciling in UCONN vs MSST but the bears will be there ! EDIT : NOT without Wallace though :oops: This really sucks hopefully not the ACL !

Don't rule it out so fast. There's still Mercer. And Cal. GO BEARS

UK1996

PostPosted: 02/27/18 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My top contenders would begin with a tie.
1. UConn- Obviously well coached, talented, experience.
1. Miss State- Essentially the same team as last year but better with a much more polished McCowan.. Responded to a blowout in 2016 with an upset in 2017.
2. Notre Dame- Talented, well coached, just lacking depth. Never count out Muffet.
3. Louisville- Jeff Walz, Asia Durr, enough said
4. Texas- Solid all around team with a tough backcourt.
5. Stanford- Tara is the Izzo of women's hoops. She could show up with a little league team and be a final four contender.
6. South Carolina- Not the same team as last year but still very good
7. Oregon- Inoescu is the real deal. Talented young team that could surprise people
Sleepers: Tennessee, UCLA, Texas A&M, South Carolina

Last edited by UK1996 on 02/27/18 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/27/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
UConn has to be the favorite, but you never know ... one injury (to any top team) could change everything.

How can they be the favorite if their not even the defending champ ?

Because what happened last year has absolutely no bearing on what happens this year.

Nonsense. Look at UConn-Mississippi State last year compared to the year before. The games were practically identical!

Laughing Laughing Laughing This went right by people! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/27/18 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn.

I can't believe there are people who think they are anything but a huge favorite.

UK1996

PostPosted: 02/27/18 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
UConn.

I can't believe there are people who think they are anything but a huge favorite.

Uconn was the favorite last year too. I think they are evenly matched with Mississippi State. They could also be upset as they were last year by a number of teams.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/27/18 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I consider UConn the favorite, although not as heavy a favorite as in most recent years.

That said, I frankly don't understand why Miss St isn't the overall #1 seed.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/27/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Ducks don't play D. They've played 2 athletic teams all year and were beaten soundly both times.

I have a similar reaction. Frankly they've beaten PAC teams, and they beat a couple of decent but certainly not elite teams in aTm and OU. But they haven't done anything that suggests to me that they can beat any of the top 5 teams.

I think that the champion will come from among the five teams currently ranked 1-5 in the two polls. There are probably a half dozen teams capable of upsetting one of those five on a given night, but no one I see who can overcome their flaws enough to string together the wins necessary to win it all.

And considering that Baylor's guard play was already its big question mark, if Wallace is out, you can probably reduce the pool to 4.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/01/18 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I consider UConn the favorite, although not as heavy a favorite as in most recent years.

That said, I frankly don't understand why Miss St isn't the overall #1 seed.

I'm curious as to why you think Miss St should be No 1? I've looked at RPI, Massey, Sagarin, SOS & top 10 wins and UConn is clearly ahead.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/01/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

They have a better chance than last year, imo.

PostPosted: 03/01/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is my opinion of the true odds (actually chances of winning) and betting line (the public perception or betting line)

True odds

UConn - 7/5
Miss St -5/2
Notre Dame - 7-2
Louisville - 7-2
Baylor - 5-1
S. Carolina - 5-1
Oregon - 14-1
Texas - 15-1

My prediction of the betting line

UConn - 3/5
Miss St -6/5
Notre Dame - 5-2
Louisville - 7-2
Baylor - 4-1
S. Carolina - 4-1
Oregon - 20-1
Texas - 20-1

The public tends to over bet the favorites.

Baylor would have been co-second favorites with Miss St until they lost Wallace. S Carolina drops due to the uncertainty of Wilson's fitness.

My own pick to win it all is UConn. They have lost 2 games in the last 4 years and both were by one point in overtime. A lot has been made of their loss to Miss St but I see it as an aberration with little predictive value. Last year UConn's bench consisted of freshman Dangerfield. This year they have Stevens and Walker both of whom are playing better now than Dangerfield was then. Four starters and a vastly better Dangerfield are all better and a year wiser But I wouldn't bet them at the odds Las Vegas will list for them.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/01/18 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since I first replied in January, I'd say it's gotten closer as between UConn and MissSt.

The Bulldogs seem better to me than last season, in large part due to improved play by Vsquared. Whether the Huskies are better or worse is debatable. In my opinion, Collier and Williams aren't as effective as last year, Nurse is better, Samuelson is more versatile, and Dangerfield vs. Chong is sort of a wash. The big change is Stevens, who is arguably better than Williams on the low blocks as a scorer, rebounder and defender.

So, I'd give a slender edge to UConn over MSU based on Stevens.
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/02/18 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor losing Wallace makes them a very long shot.

UConn and Miss State are the clear favorites. I don't think ND or Louisville can beat either UConn or Miss State. I would still be a bit surprised if those are the 4 teams at the final 4 though if I had to place money on it, they would get my $. There's got to be an upset or two along the way to make it interesting.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/02/18 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Since I first replied in January, I'd say it's gotten closer as between UConn and MissSt.

The Bulldogs seem better to me than last season, in large part due to improved play by Vsquared. Whether the Huskies are better or worse is debatable. In my opinion, Collier and Williams aren't as effective as last year, Nurse is better, Samuelson is more versatile, and Dangerfield vs. Chong is sort of a wash. The big change is Stevens, who is arguably better than Williams on the low blocks as a scorer, rebounder and defender.

So, I'd give a slender edge to UConn over MSU based on Stevens.

interesting thoughts. I've thought all year that UConn wasn't as good as last year, at least partially because using Stevens still seems to disrupt everybody else's game. They have adjusted somewhat but it's still just not as smooth when she comes in. She looks really good against the weak and/or smaller teams but I'm not so sure she will look that good against size...which is also why I thought Baylor had a shot, but with no good lead guard, that shot just became hugely longer.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 03/02/18 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Baylor losing Wallace makes them a very long shot.

Duke lost 2 PG’s and a SG. They are the proper long shot.

Baylor has some nice players who can step up.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/02/18 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even at 3/5 I believe there is value in UConn. Playing in Albany I would make them roughly 95% to make the final 4. It could be a little less with a bad matchup, but i doubt it. With the injury to Wallace I would make them at least 1/5 against anyone but Miss St and 1/4 against the Bulldogs.

To me the true odds would be:

UCONN (67%) 1/2
Mississippi St (15%) 5/1
Notre Dame (5%) 19/1
Baylor (4%) 24/1
Louisville (4%) 24/1
Field (5%) 19/1

And if Las Vegas were to put up a line, it would be more like this:

UCONN 1/3
Miss St 3/1
Notre Dame 10/1
Baylor 12/1
Louisville 12/1
Field 5/1

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/02/18 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this UConn team, more than any of those in past years, is beatable. it's just a case of by whom.

PostPosted: 03/02/18 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
UConn has to be the favorite, but you never know ... one injury (to any top team) could change everything.

How can they be the favorite if their not even the defending champ ? Id keep
South Carolina as the favorite until someone knocks them off then the favorite becomes Miss. State. The team that knocked off everyone's "Projected" favorite.

You're keeping SC as the favorite? Seriously?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: