RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

In Theatres on February 16, 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/21/18 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scarab wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
I just wanna know if anyone here has actually seen the movie yet. Personally, I think it looks totally overblown and stupid.

I'm shocked.

Why? I try to avoid super hero movies because they all pretty much look overblown and stupid. The recent Superman movies come to mind.

For what it's worth, this is not your typical superhero/action movie at all. I found the characters way more complex, with more depth. Probably the most complex villian in this genre of film I've ever seen. And you don't have to be a Marvel fan and/or know backstory to enjoy it. I've been telling my friends who don't even usually like such films to go see it and every single one of them, without fail, has thanked me for strongly encouraging them to see the film. They loved it too. (Note: And I'm a Marvel fan)

I rarely go to theatres anymore, so I will def check it out on demand when it’s released. Thanks. (Note: I’m NOT a Marvel fan, I’ve always been a DC fan (Superman, Wonder Woman).

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/21/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The movie was one of Marvel's best-ever efforts.

The production value was superb. Wakanda looked like the futuristic afrocentric utopia one might expect upon reading the comics and understanding the country's history. The characters have depth. The villain has purpose and is, in many ways, sympathetic. Unlike other Marvel movies, the female characters are prominent, have key roles, and are just as badass as their male counterparts.

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/25/18 10:55 pm    ::: Re: In Theatres on February 16, 2018 Reply Reply with quote

'Black Panther' roars past $700 million worldwide in week two

Quote:
"Black Panther" is still wearing the box office crown in its second weekend.
The Disney (DIS) and Marvel Studios film was the number one film in the U.S. for the second weekend in a row bringing in an estimated $108 million at the box office.

"Black Panther" becomes only the fourth film ever to cross $100 million in its second weekend, joining "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," "Jurassic World," and "The Avengers." It is the second highest second weekend for a film behind only "Force Awakens."

"Black Panther" has also crossed the $700 million mark globally in just two weekends of release and will cross $400 million domestically on Sunday, its 10th day of release. The film has yet to open in China or Japan.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/25/media/black-panther-box-office-second-weekend/index.html

PostPosted: 02/26/18 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

a really cool look back at the beginnings of black panther, little-known facts, etc., like that there were a handful of black (super)heroes before, that the panther's first adversary was the kkk and that wesley snipes tried to make a "black panther" flick 26 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fRraHt_8uA

PostPosted: 02/26/18 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and btw, one of the movie credits that may have rolled by unnoticed is that of costume designer ruth carter, who's been at it for a long time, with 40 films. the nyt has a nice video with carter talking about how she conceptualized the costumes for this film. she's been nominated twice before; maybe this'll be the third time's charm.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/arts/100000005735913/black-panther-costumes-merge-african-history-with-afrofuturism.html

another btw: anyone who hasn't seen the film but intends to go, be sure to stay for the entire flick. there are three endings. if you don't sit through the entire credit roll, which lasts about three minutes or so, you haven't seen the whole movie.

PostPosted: 03/03/18 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
and btw, one of the movie credits that may have rolled by unnoticed is that of costume designer ruth carter, who's been at it for a long time, with 40 films. the nyt has a nice video with carter talking about how she conceptualized the costumes for this film. she's been nominated twice before; maybe this'll be the third time's charm.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/arts/100000005735913/black-panther-costumes-merge-african-history-with-afrofuturism.html

another btw: anyone who hasn't seen the film but intends to go, be sure to stay for the entire flick. there are three endings. if you don't sit through the entire credit roll, which lasts about three minutes or so, you haven't seen the whole movie.

I saw WAKANDA opening weekend and I'm seeing it in IMAX today. So excited! Going with a local costume designer who wants to get a good luck at costuming in the movie. I want to imagine flying a Jetson car around a beautiful and amazing African country. Flying a Jetson car and travelling in Africa are #1 and #2 on my bucket list.

Will be looking for ideas on a proper Wakanda costume for this white girl. White ally who LOVES the afro futurist world of Wakanda. I believe there is a positive role for a white person to play as Wakanda becomes known about and attempts to exploit and colonize it begin to happen in sequels. Infiltrating the exploiters/colonizers? Or preferred role as counter spy, where exploiters think I'm spying on Wakanda but I'm really feeding them exploiter/colonizer intel so they can resist attempts to subvert Wakanda.

Cth: I encourage you to see this movie! In the strongest terms possible.

~rAf
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/04/18 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

‘Black Panther’ Crosses $500 Million Domestic With $65 Million 3rd Weekend

Quote:
Oscar weekend is usually considered a slower box office weekend for wide releases, but that hasn't stopped "Black Panther" from posting an estimated $65.7 million on its third weekend. That's ranks third among all third frames in box office history, and if tomorrow's actual totals end up beating this estimate, "Black Panther" could take the No. 2 spot on that list from "Avatar," which made $68.4 weekend back in 2010.

Even if it doesn't, "Black Panther" has easily shattered the record for the biggest domestic gross on an Oscar weekend, showing once again how the 52-week release calendar is breaking conventional thought on box office performance. According to data from comScore, the previous Oscar weekend record was $40 million in 2010, held by Disney's "Alice In Wonderland" remake.

"Black Panther" has now crossed the half-billion mark in North America, ranking in the top ten highest grossing domestic releases ever. Either today or tomorrow, it will pass the $504 million made by last year's "Beauty and the Beast" remake for the No. 9 spot, and "The Dark Knight" will soon be next with $534 million.

Globally, "Black Panther" has made $56.2 million this weekend for a worldwide haul of $121 million and a global running total of $897.7 million. This week, the film will become the 33rd movie of all-time to make $1 billion worldwide, with a release in China still to come next weekend.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/‘black-panther’-crosses-dollar500-million-domestic-with-dollar65-million-3rd-weekend/ar-BBJRhJU?li=BBnbfcL

PostPosted: 03/06/18 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just finished seeing this today. Damn good movie and probably one of Marvel's best. And for Disney fans, a "Wakanda land" is, and has been in the planning stages for months now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/25/18 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

‘Black Panther’ Passes ‘The Avengers’ as Top-Grossing Superhero Movie at US Box Office

Quote:
"Black Panther" is now one of the top five highest grossing films in domestic box office history, and the top superhero film on the charts.

The latest Marvel movie passed the $623 million made by "The Avengers" on its sixth Saturday in theaters, grossing $7.76 million to bring its domestic total to $626.5 million. The film is estimated to raise its cume to $631 million after today, giving it a sixth weekend total of $17.5 million.

With this result, "Black Panther" also passed the domestic total of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi," which made $619 million this past winter. It is expected to at least take the No. 3 spot on the all-time domestic charts, passing "Jurassic World" with $652 million and "Titanic" with $659 million (unadjusted for inflation).

The highest grossing film in domestic history is "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" with $936.6 million, followed by "Avatar" with $760.5 million. Last week, "Black Panther" became the first film since "Avatar" to be the highest grossing film at the box office for five straight weekends. Globally, the film now has a total of $1.23 billion putting it at No. 12 on the all-time charts and ahead of the $1.21 billion made five years ago by "Iron Man 3."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/‘black-panther’-passes-‘the-avengers’-as-top-grossing-superhero-movie-at-us-box-office/ar-BBKG37b?li=BBnbfcL

PostPosted: 04/07/18 1:34 pm    ::: Re: In Theatres on February 16, 2018 Reply Reply with quote

'Black Panther' Passes 'Titanic' on All-Time Box Office List

Quote:
Black Panther's box office dominance continues to shatter records as the Marvel blockbuster vaulted past Titanic to become the third highest-grossing film of all time.

James Cameron's Titanic – which enjoyed a 12-year reign as the highest-grossing film until it was usurped by the director's Avatar in 2009 – fell to Number Four on the all-time list after Black Panther leapt past the 1997 epic's $659.5 million domestic total, the Hollywood Reporter writes.

Without adjusting for inflation, Black Panther now only sits behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936 million) and Avatar ($760 million) on the all-time domestic box office list, according to Box Office Mojo.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/black-panther-passes-titanic-on-all-time-box-office-list/ar-AAvAWMQ?ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 07/23/18 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This week I watched a number of Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, including Black Panther, and even rewatched one. I recommend that these movies be watched in order, for I was certainly confused by who the heck all the superheroes were when I didn't watch them in order.

To me, all these movies are of about the same quality, comprised as they are mostly of cheesy CGI and motion capture, and full of fights, wars, car chases, monsters and silliness. Black Panther was below average for my taste, notwithstanding its obvious blockbuster appeal to the video game and later generations.

SPOILERS FOLLOW:

The main problem with Black Panther is that it has a very one dimensional plot: The current Black Panther's gangster cousin from America wants to replace him as the Black Panther and king of Wakanda, so they fight each other for the title. That's it, the whole plot.

Of course, like a kayfabe wrestling match, the heel is sometimes winning, then the face comes back, the heel has won, no he hasn't, a bunch of the heel's gang enters the ring to help, a bunch of the face's gang similarly enters the ring, some of them switch sides, weapons are pulled from their underwear . . . . etc. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of the usual car chases, plane chases, and various CGI fights indoors and outdoors. (Yawn.) But we all know who's going to win in the end and remain the king and Black Panther.

If anyone can notice acting amongst this cartoonish chaos, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. The good guy, T-Challa, was very wooden, boring and uninspiring. The bad guy, revealingly named Killmonger, was much more interesting and I suppose better acted. None of the other supporting characters is memorable, and the BP's sister, girlfriend and female general are already blurring together in their banality. There's no Sancho Panza, Mr. Spock or Dr. Watson in Wakanda.

Oh, but wait, wait, hold on, there's a big social justice theme in the Black Panther. Wakanda, you see, is the richest, most technologically advanced and best weaponized country in the world, albeit hidden from public knowledge in darkest Africa. Killmonger wants to be king so he can give all this weaponry to the oppressed black people all over the world, presumably so they can monger killings of all the white oppressors. I frankly couldn't figure out whether the black director wanted us to sympathize with Killmonger's social justice viewpoint, or whether, on the other hand, he wanted to mock that viewpoint as over-the-top and evil.

The answer seems to lie in who decisively wins Wrestlemania and who decisively dies. (No Loki resurrections here.) Killmonger is a black gangster type from the 'hood in Oakland, California, who has hundreds of scars to celebrate each of the people he's killed. He's the idealization of a 1960's Black Panther, of the Huey Newton and Eldridge Cleaver archetype. He's killed dead by the 2010's Black Panther -- wooden King T-Challa -- who is an uber-wealthy, infinitely pampered, neo-liberal, globalist, U.N. hobnobbing, noblesse obliging member of the supremacist status quo. The black social justice warrior is crushed under the boot of the profoundly privileged elite class.

Did I care about any of this social justice claptrap? Nope. I've just spent more time typing about it than I ever thought about it while watching this mediocre and over-hyped movie. I don't watch CGI comic book superhero movies to get social justice education. For that, I recommend reading philosophy, theology and history.

That said, Black Panther is worth two hours of time as escapist syllabub, but maybe not if you had to pay real money to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: