RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Olympics - who needs them?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 02/24/18 8:29 pm    ::: Olympics - who needs them? Reply Reply with quote

Not me either.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/02/ban-the-olympics/553250/

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/24/18 8:56 pm    ::: Re: Olympics - who needs them? Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Not me either.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/02/ban-the-olympics/553250/

This article is pure shit.

Yes, there are some countries that shouldn't be hosting since they can't afford them. But there are plenty that can. And don't even get me started with the whole "nationalism" equivalency as if national pride in athletic competitions is the same as "violent ethno-nationalism". And the author proves their over-the-top sensationalism and disconnect from reality by even suggesting that the Russian medal count in Sochi motivated Putin to invade Crimea.

Personally I love the Olympics and enjoy seeing these athletes in the other sports have their turn in the spotlight. And I love their stories. The perfect example out there is the South Korean women's curling team.

PostPosted: 02/24/18 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
And what of the other side of the scale? What do the Olympics give us that you can’t glimpse at other championships and smaller-scale competitions?

How about major exposure to/for the other sports?

I'm a huge sports fan!! At least mainstream sports. There are so many other sports out there that I only watch because they are the OLYMPICS!!! I know that those sports exist (well, most of them - some of the skiing/snowboard stuff is off my radar). I even know who some of the top athletes are. I know that they are on TV. But I don't watch them.

They don't matter to me...until it's the OLYMPICS!!! Then I'm all in!!

I stayed up until 3:45 watching the US women's hockey team beat Canada. I was very tired after getting only a couple of hours of sleep and a little hoarse that morning from screaming at the result. At 3:00 AM!!!

I stayed up until 4:30 watching the US men's curling beat Sweden.

I'm sitting here waiting for the gold medal hockey game to come on...at 11:00 something.

And if it hadn't been for the Olympics how would I have ever fallen in love with Adam Rippon?? Smile

I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/24/18 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like 'em, but I'm surprised that anyone wants to host 'em anymore. Seems like there's more negatives than positives for the city these days.

PostPosted: 02/25/18 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I like 'em, but I'm surprised that anyone wants to host 'em anymore. Seems like there's more negatives than positives for the city these days.

It's like football arenas subsidized by cities - the people that benefit are different than the people hurt. The people making the decision to host the Olympics don't pay for it out of their pocket and don't have their house torn down to put up a whitewater rafting structure.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/25/18 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like the fact that the Olympics elevates one competition above the annual world championships that are held for each sport. I would get rid of it for that reason alone. It also has a hundred million displays of flag waving patriotism. Even for individual events. Another reason to can it forever.

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/25/18 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I don't like the fact that the Olympics elevates one competition above the annual world championships that are held for each sport. I would get rid of it for that reason alone. It also has a hundred million displays of flag waving patriotism. Even for individual events. Another reason to can it forever.

Flag waving patriotism is not an inherently bad thing. In fact, most of the time it is a good thing as it unites people.

Talk to any of the athletes out there and they will tell you exactly how much this event means to them. Hell, just watch the emotion...both the thrill and the agony. Take a second and watch the medal ceremony for women's hockey. Look at the faces of the US team versus that of the Canadians and try to downplay how significant it was to them. Go to Twitter and see the reaction from the various small town curling clubs to Team Shuster's Gold Medal miracle. How this run has led to a major spike in local interest and potential membership. It is how a sport like that grows.

PostPosted: 02/25/18 3:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:

Flag waving patriotism is not an inherently bad thing. In fact, most of the time it is a good thing as it unites people.

Talk to any of the athletes out there and they will tell you exactly how much this event means to them. Hell, just watch the emotion...both the thrill and the agony. Take a second and watch the medal ceremony for women's hockey. Look at the faces of the US team versus that of the Canadians and try to downplay how significant it was to them. Go to Twitter and see the reaction from the various small town curling clubs to Team Shuster's Gold Medal miracle. How this run has led to a major spike in local interest and potential membership. It is how a sport like that grows.

Athletes are happy and thrilled when they win their event's world championship as well and cry when they get awards. That is not unique to the Olympics, and we don't need another competition to give them more - or less in many cases - happiness. You talk about seeing happy tears, but there are plenty of sad tears at the Olympics that you didn't mention and that NBC probably doesn't get to show much of because they happen out of sight. And I bet they avoid a lot of what happens in sight in favor of showing the winners (although there is ice skating where they have a history of forcing the althetes to show us post-performance happiness and disappointment) . Talk to the athletes who were dominant in their sport at world's and then unsuccessful in the Olympics due to injury or a bad performance or someone else doing much better than normal. Michelle Kwan, for example.

The Olympics recognizes and awards 1st, 2nd and 3rd only from dozens of contestants in a sport. An unfortunate singling out that denigrates contestants below third, and has spilled over to other sports at their world championships as well.

If you have to have some country spend a fortune in order to elevate a sport - the sport probably isn't worth elevating. Does the world really benefit with more people devoting time and money to curling? It has the benefit that you don't have to be an elite athlete to play it - but shuffleboard is the same and can be played anywhere there is concrete. Shuffleboard would be a better event to try and elevate.

Flag waving unites people in a country and divides people in different countries.

Last edited by tfan on 02/25/18 3:29 am; edited 2 times in total
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/25/18 3:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:

Athletes are thrilled when they win their event's world championship as well and cry when they get awards. That is not unique to the Olympics. Talk to the athletes who were dominant in their sport at world's and then unsuccessful in the Olympics due to injury or a bad performance or someone else doing much better than normal. Michelle Kwan, for example.

The Olympics recognizes and awards 1st, 2nd and 3rd only from dozens of contestants in a sport. An unfortunate singling out that denigrates contestants below third, and has spilled over to other sports at their world championships as well.

If you have to have some country spend a fortune in order to elevate a sport - the sport probably isn't worth elevating. Does the world really benefit with more people devoting time and money to curling? It has the benefit that you don't have to be an elite athlete to play it - but shuffleboard is the same and can be played anywhere there is concrete. Shuffleboard would be a better event to try and elevate.

And yet the athletes disagree with you.

But, oh well, random dude on the internet's opinion is more important than theirs on the significance of the Olympics and why it means more to them than the World Championships (which they basically are using as primers for theor true goal: Olympic Gold).

And why does the world need to benefit for a sport to want to grow itself?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 02/25/18 3:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

And yet the athletes disagree with you.

Well then that settles it, .00000001% of the world's population wants a special every-four-year competition that only they participate in, in addition to their many annual events, so we must spend billions to satisfy them.

Do you have a link to a survey of all world-class athletes with regard to Olympics being staged or not?

Quote:

But, oh well, random dude on the internet's opinion is more important than theirs on the significance of the Olympics and why it means more to them than the World Championships (which they basically are using as primers for theor true goal: Olympic Gold).

Even if you were able to cite some survey that all the athletes who are up in "Olympic level" ability all gave a thumbs up to the Olympics, it is still irrelevant to whether we should spend billions every four years for a special event. Spelling bee contestants around the world would also like an every-four-years event with gold, silver and bronze awarded to much fanfare, and we don't acquiesce to their desires. Jeopardy contestants, American Idol contestants, they all would probably go for an every-four-year event among countries. Were they to do so you could also cite happy tears and their desires as justification for holding it.

Quote:

And why does the world need to benefit for a sport to want to grow itself?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

The world needs to benefit in order to justify spending tens of billions of dollars every four years in order to grow some sport (or pseudo-sport) that people won't take to unless a bunch of jingoism and prime time coverage is added to it.

Last edited by tfan on 02/25/18 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/25/18 3:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Flag waving unites people in a country and divides people in different countries.

No more than supporting my local sports team "divides" me from fans of other teams.

There is nothing at all wrong with loving your country and taking pride in its accomplishments. Just because I cheer for the US doesn't mean I suddenly despise anpther country. I still have just as favorable of an opinion of Canada as I did before the Olympic hockey game, and just as favorable of an opinion of Sweden as I did before the US trounced them on the curling ice. Hell, two of the Swedish players were so close to one of the Americans that they flew in to attend his wedding. And Lindsey Vonn is extremely close friends with the Italian who beat her in the downhill...

Seriously the Olympics actually bring together people of different nationalities, even with all the "flag waving patriotism" and national pride.

PostPosted: 02/25/18 3:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:

No more than supporting my local sports team "divides" me from fans of other teams.

The division in sports is minimized, both within the USA and with regard to countries at the Olympics, because the opposing fans don't live near each other. So in terms of unite/divide, there is much more uniting going on.

Flag-waving also leads to silver spoon guys like Dubya Bush lying about WMDs in a country (with 100's of UN Inspections not finding them being obvious proof that we had no idea whether they had them or not) and claiming that is a reason one country (with some ridiculous 'coalition of the willing') must attack without UN approval. And then, flag waving sentiments leads to no one ever punishing, or even calling for anyone in the Bush Regime to be investigated as to their war crimes.

Flag-waving allows USA presidents to order dozens of assassinations of "bad guys" in countries an ocean away, with no concern for what they - or their relatives and associates - did to deserve death.

Last edited by tfan on 02/25/18 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/25/18 3:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I mentioned before, countries that cannot afford the Olympics should not get them. But countries like China, the US, Korea, Japan, Canada, Australia, the UK, etc all have the financial ability to easily do it.

Havibg some extravagance in the world is not a bad thing. We need things that we can get behind, that are bigger than ourselves. Just as taking a vacation wvery couple years is probably not the wisest usage of one's personal finances and theee is always "better" uses for it, if you can swing it without bankrupting yourself it is worth doing, as these experiences are what living life is all about.

PostPosted: 02/25/18 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:

But that does happen. People on message boards get mad at each other due to supporting different teams.

Flag-waving also leads to silver spoon guys like Dubya Bush lying about WMDs in a country (with 100's of UN Inspections not finding them being obvious proof that we had no idea whether they had them or not) and claiming that is a reason one country (with some ridiculous 'coalition of the willing') must attack without UN approval and then never ever punish anyone in the Bush Regime for what they did.

Flag-waving allows USA presidents to order dozens of assassinations of "bad guys" in countries an ocean away, with no concern for what they - or their relatives and associates - did to deserve death.

This is just as stupid as the leap taken in the article about Sochi and Crimea. Terrible, terrible logic to associate the flag-waving national pride generated by a sporting event to the fighting of wars and assassinations.

This conversation isn't even worth having anymore with that sort of pseudo-logic being thrown around, so I'm out.

PostPosted: 02/25/18 3:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Typical fairweather Lynx fan. Bye.
Laughing Wink

PostPosted: 02/25/18 3:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

D'oh. You're quick!

PostPosted: 02/25/18 4:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
D'oh. You're quick!

Lol. Typical Merc fan, removing posts quicker than a dentist removing wisdom teeth...

(I'm assuming you deleted in case the post wasn't taken in the spirit it was meant Smile )

PostPosted: 02/25/18 4:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
This is just as stupid as the leap taken in the article about Sochi and Crimea. Terrible, terrible logic to associate the flag-waving national pride generated by a sporting event to the fighting of wars and assassinations.

I am associating flag-waving national pride for sporting events, with flag-waving national pride for bombing defenseless countries and other international activities of this nation. You are free to argue that flag-waving pride can be directed to sports, but prevented from going to the military and other government activities.

Quote:

This conversation isn't even worth having anymore with that sort of pseudo-logic being thrown around, so I'm out.
'

I think it is pseudo-logic to justify the Olympics as like a vacation. Not even 10% of the USA public is watching the Olympics on average in prime-time. That would be a higher number if it was "watched a couple of hours of coverage", but people watching "vacation worth of hours" is low. Much lower than the 100% that is involved with taking a real vacation. The majority of viewers still flip right past the Olympic coverage and fans of NBC shows are upset they aren't on. And why elevate the enjoyment that people get from watching the Olympics with the pleasure that they get from watching other TV shows?

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/25/18 4:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

I am associating flag-waving national pride for sporting events, with flag-waving national pride for bombing defenseless countries.

Clearly these two are inherently linked. My guess is that Sweden is about to be invaded because Norway has such a rabid flag-waving fan base full of drummed up national pride after winning so many medals during these Olympics.

PostPosted: 02/25/18 5:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:

I am associating flag-waving national pride for sporting events, with flag-waving national pride for bombing defenseless countries.

Clearly these two are inherently linked. My guess is that Sweden is about to be invaded because Norway has such a rabid flag-waving fan base full of drummed up national pride after winning so many medals during these Olympics.

Most of the countries in the world are out of the "invasion or bombing business" and the "assassination business". You should have included two of the small number of countries that are, in your hypothetical. I don't think you can encourage people to, for example, get choked up for one hockey team winning because its team members are from the same country as the viewer, and not have it bleed over into other things like the military, for militaristic countries like the USA.

If you consider peoples of the world the same, as opposed to elevating your citizens, hockey rooting won't be as fun for countries good in hockey. But listening to Colin Powell nonchalantly say that his army is "softening up" and "carpet bombing" (that is - killing huge amounts of them with tons of armaments) Iraqi or Afghani soldiers sitting helpless in the desert because they were ordered to, won't be as fun (or non-disturbing) either.

There is the support of Americans for illegal workers and job export and H1-Bs, which goes against flag-waving as foreign workers are chosen instead of American. But the government, for the most part, is in full support of both, so it could be reasonably said that the patriotic thing to do - per American leaders - is to support hiring foreign workers over Americans. The government (with the full paid support of business) has turned what would normally be the patriotic position - supporting American workers over foreign - into an iconoclastic position.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/25/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
justintyme wrote:
tfan wrote:

Athletes are happy and thrilled when they win their event's world championship as well and cry when they get awards. That is not unique to the Olympics, and we don't need another competition to give them more - or less in many cases - happiness. You talk about seeing happy tears, but there are plenty of sad tears at the Olympics that you didn't mention and that NBC probably doesn't get to show much of because they happen out of sight. And I bet they avoid a lot of what happens in sight in favor of showing the winners (although there is ice skating where they have a history of forcing the althetes to show us post-performance happiness and disappointment) . Talk to the athletes who were dominant in their sport at world's and then unsuccessful in the Olympics due to injury or a bad performance or someone else doing much better than normal. Michelle Kwan, for example.

What separates the Olympics apart from the Worlds is that the Olympics isn't just another yearly competition.

If you have a poor performance at the Worlds, you have another opportunity in about a year. If you have a poor performance in the Olympics, because of the four year cycle, you may not have another opportunity. You may only get one shot at Olympic glory.

If you win at Worlds, you're one of four winners in that time span. You win the Olympics and you are the single winner! (Unless there's a tie, like in Bobsledding.)

You have to decide if you want to put your life on hold for FOUR years vs. one year. It's a big decision, and sacrifice, for the ones in the lesser sports to make.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
tfan

PostPosted: 02/25/18 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

What separates the Olympics apart from the Worlds is that the Olympics isn't just another yearly competition.

If you have a poor performance at the Worlds, you have another opportunity in about a year. If you have a poor performance in the Olympics, because of the four year cycle, you may not have another opportunity. You may only get one shot at Olympic glory.

If you win at Worlds, you're one of four winners in that time span. You win the Olympics and you are the single winner! (Unless there's a tie, like in Bobsledding.)

You have to decide if you want to put your life on hold for FOUR years vs. one year. It's a big decision, and sacrifice, for the ones in the lesser sports to make.

Yes, I can see where a win at the Olympics is a bigger deal, and a loss at the Olympics is a bigger deal (the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat as they used to say on Wide World of Sports). But are you making a case for disbanding the Olympics or holding the Olympics?

Randy

PostPosted: 02/25/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Olympics are pretty much just all the sports people only care about 2 weeks every 4 years. Don't agree - when was the last time you went to a swim meet, track meet, figure skating contest, snow board contest, speed skating contest, fencing match, bobsled race or my personal favorite example of an absurd event - dresage? Or even watched one on TV aside from the Olympics.

Plus, there is all the corruption and greed associated with it. And the national pride angle is pretty much nonsense - look at all of athletes that are citizens of fortune who hardly spend any time at all in the country they represent in the games.

As for exposure for other sports - look at how little the WNBA gets out of the games - the season is disrupted and there are a few games streamed or on TV (usually obscure feeds at odd hours) and winning gold after gold has not made any apparent impact on the popularity of the WNBA. It probably hurts the league much more than it helps because they month taken off lets fans forget about the WNBA.

Finally, yeah the athletes love the attention and all that, so yeah they would lose out on that if the games just went away. In the end, the Olympics are about as important at a Beauty Contest. I would imagine the contestants love those as well. The same might be said for Dog Shows.

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/25/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I guess we should defund the National Endowment of the Arts as well. Very few people will actually see or hear any of the projects created by the NEA so it is clearly worthless. I mean most of these don't even become popular every 4 years.

PostPosted: 02/25/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is your favorite logic error - false equivalence. Of the many criticisms of the Olympics lack of public interest may be the only one common to both.

The NEA is not associated with tyrants or flag waving, crass commercialism, use of performance enhancing drugs, spending billions to host 2 week long events, displacing people from their homes etc. Further, the amounts of money spent pale in comparison to those spend on the Olympics. If the NEA spent a billion dollars carving Trump's face on a mountain, and commissioned artists to do US Flag painting it would probably be funded much better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: