RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/18 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops, I’m not sure where I got 6’3 for Jespersen, but she definitely looks a bit taller than 6’. And SF is where I’m projecting her. Rebounds well, facilitates, scores, shooting .353 from three. Definitely worth a shot for somebody.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/18 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
At this point I don't see any true bigs in the first round except Wilson. Otherwise the teams might as well wait til the 2nd round to roll the dice. None of them are sure things.

Russell is definitely a first rounder. Then there's Vadeeva, who is the big wrench in this year's draft.

yeah, I know nothing about Vadeeva other than what has been written here. Russell IMO is very late first rounder at best. She's big, but that's about all...

Are you trying to talk Russell down to #13 for Laimbeer? He thanks you.
Russell needs to toughen up, but I think Reeve would love her face up game.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/19/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
At this point I don't see any true bigs in the first round except Wilson. Otherwise the teams might as well wait til the 2nd round to roll the dice. None of them are sure things.

Russell is definitely a first rounder. Then there's Vadeeva, who is the big wrench in this year's draft.

yeah, I know nothing about Vadeeva other than what has been written here. Russell IMO is very late first rounder at best. She's big, but that's about all...

Are you trying to talk Russell down to #13 for Laimbeer? He thanks you.
Russell needs to toughen up, but I think Reeve would love her face up game.

good. you can have her. Laughing I'm guessing someone will take a runner on her before that, but unless something changes, they won't have much beyond an end of the bench warmer or somebody who can come in and pick up a couple of fouls quickly.

- Amanda Gorman
stever

PostPosted: 02/19/18 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LEDisyuZAB4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LibFan25

PostPosted: 02/19/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Any W experts think Tanaya Atkinson of Temple has a shit at getting a look from a team? She really is a good player.

im with you on this, another under the radar player, she's so strong, very athletic, can rebound. she's leading the AAC in points per game.

and agree with Shades on Jespersen, i love watching her play, she's kinda like Cunningham type player From Missouri but Cunningham is more ruthless in a good way lol love her energy/toughness

another note that girl Louis from LSU is really good. it would not surprise me if she sneaks up into the first round if she has a Big SEC Tournament

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/19/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atkinson is a lot of fun to watch. She's been huge for them this year without Butts. If she has a big AAC tournament, she might sneak into the draft.

(now with spelling variations)
calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/20/18 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Any W experts think Tanaya Atkinson of Temple has a shot at getting a look from a team? She really is a good player.

I am not nearly as high on Atkinson as others. Atkinson had a very good non-conference season averaging nearly 23 points and 11 rebounds per game. However when she went up against Aja Wilson she was badly intimidated and didn't seem to be the same afterwards. Her scoring and rebounds fell off to 20 and 7 in conference. In the 3 games against Connecticut and South Carolina she only 11.3 point and 4.7 rebounds while shooting 12-41 (29%).

I agree she may have been more effective with some support, but her size (6-0) and lack of an outside shot (46-173 3pt for her career 26%) make her a distinct longshot. I doubt she will be drafted.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/20/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched Jordin Canada against Oregon, and my concerns about her shooting are gone. Her only issue is size, but that's minor. She's a WNBA point guard ...

PostPosted: 02/20/18 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Watched Jordin Canada against Oregon, and my concerns about her shooting are gone. Her only issue is size, but that's minor. She's a WNBA point guard ...

With what seems to be a shortage of PGs in the league, Canada & Lexie Brown are locks for the first round. Canada or Brown likely land at #5 in Seattle. The other lands in either Washington or Phoenix.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/20/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

This is a one-game assessment, so any chance that if you would have tuned into a game where she didn’t play well, you would have declared her not a WNBA PG?

And since when did size suddenly become a non-issue for the WNBA?

I feel kinda bad for Laimbeer. Here’s somebody who has always loved size in all positions. Now he has the smallest PG in the league... who is arguably banged up because of that lack of size, and he also has a wannabe PG who lacks height and prefers to shoot. Are either of these players in his vision for the future?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/20/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

With what seems to be a shortage of PGs in the league, Canada & Lexie Brown are locks for the first round. Canada or Brown likely land at #5 in Seattle. The other lands in either Washington or Phoenix.

Seattle should take Canada , Lexie is great but Canada & JB can be a great combo

PostPosted: 02/20/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Don't you think she should have been driving more and dumping off passes for lay ups, it's not like Oregon can move laterally and she has the speed?

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/20/18 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Any W experts think Tanaya Atkinson of Temple has a shot at getting a look from a team? She really is a good player.

I am not nearly as high on Atkinson as others. Atkinson had a very good non-conference season averaging nearly 23 points and 11 rebounds per game. However when she went up against Aja Wilson she was badly intimidated and didn't seem to be the same afterwards. Her scoring and rebounds fell off to 20 and 7 in conference. In the 3 games against Connecticut and South Carolina she only 11.3 point and 4.7 rebounds while shooting 12-41 (29%).

I agree she may have been more effective with some support, but her size (6-0) and lack of an outside shot (46-173 3pt for her career 26%) make her a distinct longshot. I doubt she will be drafted.

Hmmm, Atkinson was listed at 5-9 as a freshman and the NCAA Career Statistics app still has her at 5-9. But sure enough, the Temple website now shows Tanaya at 6-0. I haven't seen her much -- mostly against UConn which tends to make opponents (even stars) look like fodder. What position does Atkinson play? 6-0 at SG and SF would be good. 6-0 at PF would be bad. 5-9 would be short for 3 & 4, smallish for 2. But I agree with calbearman76. Being from a mid-major school is one strike against her. If she's a SG or SF, then not being able to shoot 3's is another strike. This is before we even get to height. So, any way you slice it, Atkinson has at least two strikes against her and maybe three.

PostPosted: 02/20/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

i've been trying to tell you but you wouldn't listen lol welcome to the Canada Train Wink

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/20/18 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

This is a one-game assessment, so any chance that if you would have tuned into a game where she didn’t play well, you would have declared her not a WNBA PG?

I feel kinda bad for Laimbeer. Here’s somebody who has always loved size in all positions. Now he has the smallest PG in the league... who is arguably banged up because of that lack of size, and he also has a wannabe PG who lacks height and prefers to shoot. Are either of these players in his vision for the future?

Not sure I'd say Moriah is banged up with a knee because of her size.

If Laimbeer is as good a coach as people think, he'll make adjustments to fit his roster, he always has.

May be before some people's time, but Kedra Holland-Corn was a fave of Bill's coming off the bench in Detroit, all 5'8 and 129 pounds of her.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/21/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

This isn't exactly a one-game assessment since I've watched her since she was a sophomore in high school. I had one major concern about her game at the WNBA level, which has been alleviated -- and not just by her three-point shooting percentage. It was the quickness of her release of those shots, and her willingness to take them in big moments that impressed me as well.

You know, other people do pay attention to the sport ...

PostPosted: 02/21/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
other then Liz and Ann how many foreign players get drafted and miss a bunch of seasons? Maybe Vadeeva is looking forward to playing in the WNBA and will show up often, I would take her over Kia in a heartbeat.

WNBA teams have mostly stopped taking non-Aussie foreigners at the top of the draft. Last year the highest drafted one was Lisa Berkani, who never came over. In 2016 it was Julie Allemand, who never came over. In 2015 it was Žofia Hruščáková, who never came over. In 2014 it was Astou Ndour, who has played every other season. In 2013 it was Emma Meesseman, winner! Of course Diandra Tchatchouang was taken with the very next pick and has not come over. In 2012 it was Astan Dabo, who never came over. In 2011 it was Sara Krnjić, who never came over. In 2010 it was Tijana Krivačević, who never came over. In 2009 it was Jelena Milovanović, who never came over. In 2008 none were drafted. That's 10 years of drafts and the batting average for just getting them to show up is .150.

I understand the concerns about foreign players and having them miss time due to overseas/national team commitments or sitting out in WC and Olympic years.

But there are a decent number of American-born WNBA players who have obtained citizenship in other countries to play for those countries' respective national teams who would have to miss time in certain seasons (and who have done so) for national team obligations.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/22/18 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ckCpmYI1hJM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/22/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has to be a Blockbuster trade coming down the pike soon from somewhere...

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 02/22/18 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Has to be a Blockbuster trade coming down the pike soon from somewhere...

What makes you think that??

PostPosted: 02/22/18 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my current still-too-early thoughts:

1. Las Vegas A’ja Wilson
2. Indiana Diamond DeShields
3. Chicago Kelsey Mitchell
4. Chicago Gabby Williams
5. Seattle Jordin Canada
6. Dallas Victoria Vivians
7. Washington Lexie Brown
8. Phoenix Maria Vadeeva
9. Connecticut Kia Nurse
10. New York Mercedes Russell
11. Los Angeles Shakayla Thomas
12. Minnesota Stephanie Mavunga (Billings?)

13. Las Vegas Ariel Atkins
14. Indiana Marie Gulich
15. Connecticut Jaime Nared
16. Atlanta Teana Muldrow
17. Seattle Vionise Pierre-Louis (or some other big – Billings? Jensen?
18. Dallas Myisha Hines-Allen
19. Washington Brittany McPhee
20. Phoenix AJ Alix
21. Connecticut Natalie Butler
22. New York Brook McCarty
23. Los Angeles Morgan William
24. Minnesota Loryn Goodwin

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/22/18 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at your draft Myrtle I have Russell going much higher in mine and yet ironically I'm very meh feeling about her falling to NY at #10.

I do like some of the new names you have in your draft as well.

One note you have Billings in some of your side option brackets but technically if she isn't a side option you have her falling out of the first two rounds, do you see that as a possibility?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/18 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not feeling Mavunga at #12.

If free agency is done for Minnesota (not sure it can be), they’re going to have to focus on guards. They have enough posts to get by, so why potentially waste it on a mediocre post that’ll probably get cut. Now if Vadeeva or Russell falls to #12, that’s another story. Under your scenario, you didn’t leave the Lynx a first round worthy guard. They might actually have to take Atkins, but maybe they will go mediocre post if they’re feeling good about guards in the later picks.

#17 is owned by Minnesota now thanks to the brilliance of Reeve. I like Goodwin enough that I might consider taking her there. But if Kenisha Bell should enter the draft early, I think the Lynx might take her there. She’s like a little bigger and stronger version of Jefferson. She’s very under the radar but Reeve watches her all the time.

#24 Gotta be CW if she lasts this long. Totally deserving.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/23/18 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

One note you have Billings in some of your side option brackets but technically if she isn't a side option you have her falling out of the first two rounds, do you see that as a possibility?

I'm guessing Billings will be taken in the first two rounds but exactly where is a mystery to me. Having watched her quite a bit in the P12, she has definitely improved a lot from Freshman to Senior... but still to me isn't quite a W level player. Admittedly I have a pet peeve about posts who shoot shitty from the FT line, so that may increase my bias. But in general it seems like she struggles a bit against true bigs. She is a tenacious rebounder, but scoring and defending will both be a problem for her next level IMO. She's probably a bit smaller than GloJo but I would say that could be her ceiling - and if she got there, obviously she could help a team, but I think it will take a lot of patience to get there, and patience is usually hard to find on a W team. I think she and Mavunga have quite a bit in common, but I haven't watched Mavunga nearly as much so she's more of a mystery to me. The B1G people should have better insight there.

And yeah, as I said before, I continue to be underwhelmed by Russell but size alone will likely get her taken in the first round.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/23/18 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For New York, I can live with Russell, Nared or Billings among realistic choices. At this point, I agree that Vivians and Nurse are not making it down to #10.

At #22, I really like Kristy Wallace who has length, speed, shooting range and can play both backcourt positions. I'm really skeptical about Brook McCarty. A lot of short players at least look strong. McCarty just looks tiny out there.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 56 of 93

Jump to: