RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

We are so used to this
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 02/20/18 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida survivors, lawmakers on collision course over guns

Quote:
Meanwhile at the Florida Statehouse, a Democratic representative asked for a procedural move that would have allowed the Republican-controlled House to consider a ban on large-capacity magazines and assault-style rifles such as the AR-15 that was wielded by the suspect, Nickolas Cruz.

The bill had been assigned to three committees but was not scheduled for a hearing. The House quickly nixed the Democratic motion. The vote broke down along party lines, and Republicans criticized Democrats for forcing the vote.

Because the committees will not meet again before the legislative session ends March 9, the move essentially extinguishes hope that lawmakers would vote on any sweeping measures to restrict assault rifles, although other proposals could still be considered.

“No one in the world with the slightest little hint of a soul isn’t moved by this tragedy,” Republican strategist Rick Wilson said. “The discussion has to be a longer, bigger and broader discussion.”

Lizzie Eaton, a junior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, spent the day lobbying senators of both parties and concluded that lawmakers were “just not listening to us.”

The vote was “heartbreaking,” she said. “But we’re not going to stop.”

https://apnews.com/421d0445626345209d61988899fef210/Florida-survivors,-lawmakers-on-collision-course-over-guns?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&__twitter_impression=true

PostPosted: 02/20/18 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/20/18 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Must have been a disappointing moment for the gun manufacturers too.
They always seem to see a nice spike in sales everyone at even the mention of restrictions being tightened.
Come on, Trump. How about looking after businesses. Just tweet that you are gonna crack down in a YUGE way on gun ownership. Sales will skyrocket, but then you can just take no actual action, same as with all the other plans you had. It's win-win.

PostPosted: 02/21/18 10:06 pm    ::: Re: We are so used to this Reply Reply with quote

Congresswoman claims most mass shooters are Democrats

Quote:
"It's interesting that so many of these people that commit the mass murders end up being Democrats," Tenney said. "But the media doesn't talk about that."

Quote:
"I am fed up with the media and liberals attempting to politicize tragedies and demonize law-abiding gun owners and conservative Americans every time there is a horrible tragedy," Tenney said in the statement. "While we know the perpetrators of these atrocities have a wide variety of political views, my comments are in response to a question about the failure to prosecute illegal gun crime. I will continue to stand up for law-abiding citizens who are smeared by anti-gun liberal elitists."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/congresswoman-claims-most-mass-shooters-are-democrats/ar-BBJqSIr?li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: 02/22/18 3:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4AtOU0dDXv8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Genero36

PostPosted: 02/22/18 12:50 pm    ::: Re: We are so used to this Reply Reply with quote

NRA head lashes out at gun control advocates: 'They hate individual freedom'

Quote:
Wayne LaPierre, the head of the NRA, broke his silence a week after the Florida school shooting with an unrepentant defence of gun rights and an aggressive attack on political elites who “hate individual freedom”.

LaPierre used his address to the conservative conference CPAC to hit out at anti-gun campaigners, who, led by young survivors of the shooting, have attempted to make political headway in the last week.

“They fantasise about more laws stopping what other laws have failed to stop,” the National Rifle Association executive vice-president said. “So many existing laws were ignored.”

Quote:
Pushing the same agenda on school security as Donald Trump, he claimed schools were “wide open targets”.

“Evil walks among us and God help us if we don’t protect our schools,” he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nra-head-lashes-out-at-gun-control-advocates-they-hate-individual-freedom/ar-BBJsOAR?ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 02/22/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people are blaming all of the people who had nothing to do with this shooting, while at the same time giving the FBI a pass on gross negligence in the process.

I'm also seeing all this handwringing over expanded background checks. Well that bill has been on the Senate's desk since late last year (the fix NICS bill). So why no action on the bill? It passed the House already, what's the problem?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/22/18 3:01 pm    ::: Re: We are so used to this Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

NRA head lashes out at gun control advocates: 'They hate individual freedom'

Quote:
Wayne LaPierre, the head of the NRA, broke his silence a week after the Florida school shooting with an unrepentant defence of gun rights and an aggressive attack on political elites who “hate individual freedom”.

LaPierre used his address to the conservative conference CPAC to hit out at anti-gun campaigners, who, led by young survivors of the shooting, have attempted to make political headway in the last week.

“They fantasise about more laws stopping what other laws have failed to stop,” the National Rifle Association executive vice-president said. “So many existing laws were ignored.”

Quote:
Pushing the same agenda on school security as Donald Trump, he claimed schools were “wide open targets”.

“Evil walks among us and God help us if we don’t protect our schools,” he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nra-head-lashes-out-at-gun-control-advocates-they-hate-individual-freedom/ar-BBJsOAR?ocid=mailsignout

This guy is so deranged that it is hard to believe he can command a national audience. Which today he has. Sad. So very sad.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/18 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump empathy flash cards

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/22/18 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FyirlX3tra8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyirlX3tra8

PostPosted: 02/22/18 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I see comments like that, which are just not even on a wavelength I can comprehend, I can't help thinking that there's a lot of projection involved on her/their part. Like they are coming at the issue from a totally different place.
I've got no doubt that news network owners like there to be drama in the world, but there are a lot of leaps between that, and having a random person whose job it is to report the news or even comment on it, feel happy that innocent people got killed just so there is something to talk about today. As if otherwise there would be dead air with anchors twiddling their thumbs waiting to lose their now-pointless jobs.
I guess that is why the students are so passionate about it as well? They enjoy being relevant this week, and students in other states are just hoping they'll be next!?

PostPosted: 02/22/18 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
When I see comments like that, which are just not even on a wavelength I can comprehend, I can't help thinking that there's a lot of projection involved on her/their part. Like they are coming at the issue from a totally different place.
I've got no doubt that news network owners like there to be drama in the world, but there are a lot of leaps between that, and having a random person whose job it is to report the news or even comment on it, feel happy that innocent people got killed just so there is something to talk about today. As if otherwise there would be dead air with anchors twiddling their thumbs waiting to lose their now-pointless jobs.
I guess that is why the students are so passionate about it as well? They enjoy being relevant this week, and students in other states are just hoping they'll be next!?

Obviously the police like them too. I mean they get to break out their shiny big weapons, use all their SWAT training, and have something major to do that gets them all on television!

What a moron.

PostPosted: 02/22/18 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Dana Loesch and a lot of people in America are coming at this and many other issues from a place where they are well compensated for taking the positions they take and, in her case, putting a lovely face on something that has become really entirely too problematic for American society. But it's not stopping her or them because I'm sure her stock went way up after last night. I haven't listened to this clip and kind of would rather not. But I did catch some of the NRA president La Pierre's speech today. Her saying the media loves a mass shooting is, I'm sorry, not something I'm inclined to totally dismiss as crazy rhetoric. She's a smart woman and too good of a spokesperson generally for her cause. So I'm not surprised she's going there. And there is a there there.

But the other guy is simply as deranged a human being who has ever been put in front of a microphone in America. He's crazy. Dangerous. I think, because of the power the NRA wields, or holds, over our government, it's important that his remarks today be broadcast across the news networks, unlike giving a similar profile and exposure to a David Duke, but he's no better than a David Duke, and generally, we don't give this kind of mass exposure to people on that level. Plus this guy is straight away bonkers. You can see it in his body language and facial expressions. He's coming out of his skin and his brain is squirming like a toad. Just sayin'.

sambista

PostPosted: 02/23/18 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

trump says schools are dangerous places because they're gun-free.

Shocked

is it possible to be immobilized by inanity? yes.

PostPosted: 02/23/18 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
trump says schools are dangerous places because they're gun-free.

Shocked

is it possible to be immobilized by inanity? yes.

He's pretty much always the wrong guy for the job of being president. But this here has been on another level.

I've got a lot of rough edges. Let's say if I were a teacher that I would be able to convince the district that I'm one of those teachers who would or should be armed. Now I'm there to teach. To be inspiring and interesting to young people and to be that on an interactive level.

So suddenly one day there's a person in the hallway with an AR-15. As I said, I've got a lot of rough edges. But the idea that you could depend on ME, to switch gears from inspiring teacher to getting out in that hall and attempting to take down a mass shooter... I find that to be a pretty weak plan.

Even if I did go out and confront the shooter, I would be saying to myself something like, "Jesus, who's fucking idea of a plan was this?"

Yeah, a some teachers are former military and even law enforcement. But realistically, how many is that?

That THIS is your plan to address this horrific problem, armed teachers, basically saying, we'll deal with this by having a fucking shoot out? Betwixt a teacher with a concealable (we hope) handgun and a guy with an assault rifle? Wow. Plus just thinking about what a windfall this would be for the gun industry. It would be like a dream come true. They're selling arms to both sides now in this war zone that is our public school system.

Trump has been unacceptable to many from the moment he came down the escalator. He's been a big disappointment to many others. And he's been infuriating to almost anyone with a brain almost every day since taking office. But in so many ways, just as a problem matched up with a need for leadership on a solution, this may be the biggest failure of that leadership ever.

However, it is so easy to blame Trump and forget Sandy Hook and the Pulse nightclub and ALL the other many moments and opportunities in prior administrations that have passed by the wayside on what I believe is an inevitable march toward some really restrictive gun legislation that actually does curtail these shootings. It feels different right now but the only thing that is different is that there's a generation of school kids who are able to make a better case for themselves and their position of just wanting to be able to go to school without getting shot.

But I'm just literally shaking my head at the idea that armed teachers is an actual idea. We're hearing now of the armed security guard who chose to stay outside and not confront the shooter here in Parkland. That's what he was there to do. He was a good guy with a gun. And he passed on the opportunity to be a hero. Of course, he's being destroyed in the media by professional journalists, but the truth is, how many of us REALLY would dependably rush into a building to taken on a guy with an AR-15? And our solution is teachers with guns. lol.

Look. Someone do the research. How many of these mass shootings produced stories or allegations that the police took FAR too long to go in and confront the shooter or shooters? A shootout is not a solution.

sambista

PostPosted: 02/23/18 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

don't even get me started on his suggestion that we give those select teachers "a little bit of a bonus" for being an on-call defender of hundreds of school kids. for almost no money at all, he said (yes, he really said it), we've got ourselves a solution. and hey - how nice for those already underpaid teachers to get a little bit (just a little bit) of a bonus, like this would be just a little something extra they'll do.

it's time to take all these guys down. every last one of 'em in congress who is enabling this twisted mofo. those kids who walked out of class, who refused to go back to school, who attended that town hall . . . it does feel different now, and they give me hope that all the mitch mcconnells and paul ryans - all of that ilk - are a dead breed.

PostPosted: 02/23/18 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump calls for arming many teachers, more guards at schools

Quote:
Trump said designating schools as "gun-free zones" puts students in "far more danger." He reiterated his push for "gun-adept teachers and coaches" to be able to carry concealed firearms and said it was "time to make our schools a much harder target for attackers — we don't want them in our schools."

If a teacher had been carrying a concealed firearm at the Florida school, "the teacher would have shot the hell out of him before he knew what happened," Trump said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-calls-for-arming-many-teachers-more-guards-at-schools/ar-BBJuJ65?li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: 02/23/18 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
don't even get me started on his suggestion that we give those select teachers "a little bit of a bonus" for being an on-call defender of hundreds of school kids. .

Oh yeah, I knew I was forgetting something. The fat cat with a cigar hanging out of his mouth thinking he can simply throw a little money at any problem and some desperate person will just handle it for him.

Without falling into the endless trap of saying Trump isn't the person for the job, I would just say that these ideas should be seen as non-starters in coming up with adequate and effective solutions to this problem. Previous administrations couldn't make a dent here, and I'm not a person to reward them for just being on the right side of the debate. They were unfocused and weak. Is that better than daft? I don't think so.

This generation of school kids are going to grow up and vote around this issue. They're smart and are proposing multiple strategies. One that really matters is taking assault weapons out of the hands of private citizens. We just had a kid busted here who made an offhand threat of shooting up his school. They took it seriously and raided his house. What they found was incredible. Two AR-15s and *80* extended larger capacity magazines and about 2000 rounds of ammunition. The stuff belonged to the kid's older brother but it was unsecured and the kid had access to it.

THIS is what we''re dealing with when we allow for this capacity for destruction to be permissible in the hands of private citizens. You're at the mercy of whatever bad mojo exists in every little household across America. Sloppy and careless with access to the assault weaponry? We've seen this before and how it ends. This is the battle right there. An assault weapons ban.

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/23/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

Without falling into the endless trap of saying Trump isn't the person for the job, I would just say that these ideas should be seen as non-starters in coming up with adequate and effective solutions to this problem.

You would think that when your idea to "fix" the problem is straight out of a four year old Onion article you might second guess your thought process...

https://www.theonion.com/nra-calls-for-teachers-to-keep-loaded-gun-pointed-at-cl-1819575763

PostPosted: 02/23/18 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Without falling into the endless trap of saying Trump isn't the person for the job, I would just say that these ideas should be seen as non-starters in coming up with adequate and effective solutions to this problem.

You would think that when your idea to "fix" the problem is straight out of a four year old Onion article you might second guess your thought process...

https://www.theonion.com/nra-calls-for-teachers-to-keep-loaded-gun-pointed-at-cl-1819575763

Smith & Lesson, indeed.

If a police chief (Tacoma, WA) can go off the deep end and commit murder/suicide, sooner or later some of our stressed out underpaid teachers would do the same thing. We all can think of classmates who would have never made it to commencement if their teachers were locked and loaded.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/23/18 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep. There’s that, too. I wouldn’t have been able to sleep through half the classes I did had I known the teachers were armed.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/23/18 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As someone who works with teenagers, I can't say enough about how well these kids are handling this situation. It's incredible.

PostPosted: 02/23/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
. . . it does feel different now, and they give me hope that all the mitch mcconnells and paul ryans - all of that ilk - are a dead breed.

Yes. I am really optimistic that we've finally reached this 'critical mass' stage of unrest and refusal-to-forget. These kids are empowered in ways no other generation has been before, if we just think of social media alone.

"....and a child shall lead them": not totally analogous to Isaiah's reference, but....I still like the concept of how "a child" is implied as the leader of a New Order.

(....and I don't mean "One Who ACTS Like a Petulant Child", LOL!)

PostPosted: 02/23/18 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/47C-s0FMXlI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/23/18 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"I wish we had a handful of reporters that talked to politicians the way these kids do"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lo52BObqCds" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4AtOU0dDXv8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: