RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm happy to see Griffin back. She's a really nice glue player. And I thought Laney had potential but hard to see how she makes this team. This team will be DEEP. Should be exciting for the fans.

Do you think they’re done? Are you sensing something else coming up.... maybe even big?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/07/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I'm happy to see Griffin back. She's a really nice glue player. And I thought Laney had potential but hard to see how she makes this team. This team will be DEEP. Should be exciting for the fans.

Do you think they’re done? Are you sensing something else coming up.... maybe even big?

I wouldnt mind having ivory Latta in a Sun uniform to take Banham or Bentley’s roster spot.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/07/18 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bentley was an All-Star two years ago. She had nagging injuries all last season that slowed her down. No way would I cut her loose for nothing until she totally proves to be done. Which I don’t see happening

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/07/18 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Bentley was an All-Star two years ago. She had nagging injuries all last season that slowed her down. No way would I cut her loose for nothing until she totally proves to be done. Which I don’t see happening

Fair enough. What’s your thoughts on Leticia Romero actually making the team? I don’t know a thing about her.

stever

PostPosted: 02/07/18 8:25 pm    ::: Sun make moves in busy week Reply Reply with quote

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/20180207/sun-make-moves-in-busy-week

Quote:
Romero may also be delayed this year. The 5-foot-8 guard is playing in the Czech Republic and may not arrive until after the start of training camp.
“I think she has a shot to make the roster,” Miller said of the former Florida State star. “She can play not only the point, but off the ball. She’s a high-efficiency shooter and has pro skills.“
Romero may also have to leave early due to the 2018 FIBA World championship tournament, which will be held in Spain in late September, and it’s possible the Spanish national team will start its training camp prior to the finish of the WNBA season.
For that reason, the WNBA season is also being compacted. It will start around May 20 and will end in mid-August. 34 games in three months.
That may help the fortunes of veteran players like Griffin, Laney and George.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/07/18 10:14 pm    ::: Re: Sun make moves in busy week Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/20180207/sun-make-moves-in-busy-week

Quote:
Romero may also be delayed this year. The 5-foot-8 guard is playing in the Czech Republic and may not arrive until after the start of training camp.
“I think she has a shot to make the roster,” Miller said of the former Florida State star. “She can play not only the point, but off the ball. She’s a high-efficiency shooter and has pro skills.“
Romero may also have to leave early due to the 2018 FIBA World championship tournament, which will be held in Spain in late September, and it’s possible the Spanish national team will start its training camp prior to the finish of the WNBA season.
For that reason, the WNBA season is also being compacted. It will start around May 20 and will end in mid-August. 34 games in three months.
That may help the fortunes of veteran players like Griffin, Laney and George.

What he said

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/07/18 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so for now something like

J. Thomas/Banham
C. Williams/Bentley/(#9 Nurse)
A. Thomas/Stricklen/Laney
C. Ogwumike/Tuck/Griffin
J. Jones/George

Romero or #9 or #15

I'd take Nurse at #9 and call it a day

with Strick, Griffin, Geoarge, Tuck and Laney all being able to slide down a spot

and Chiney, A. Thomas and Nurse all being able to slide up a spot

that is a lot of depth and flexibilty

opps that is one too many players, someone has to go. Griffin, Laney or Banham, or a 2 for 1 trade or trade for future asset.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/08/18 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

opps that is one too many players, someone has to go. Griffin, Laney or Banham, or a 2 for 1 trade or trade for future asset.

that's why I suspected Laney couldn't make the team. Also I thought I saw somewhere that Pederson had re-signed with the Sun, so not sure if she has or hasn't retired. Could be another complication.

but of course more movement is possible.

- Amanda Gorman
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/08/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

that's why I suspected Laney couldn't make the team. Also I thought I saw somewhere that Pederson had re-signed with the Sun, so not sure if she has or hasn't retired. Could be another complication.

but of course more movement is possible.

I don’t see anywhere that Pedersen’s been re-signed.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/08/18 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

J. Thomas/Banham
C. Ogwumike/Tuck/Griffin
J. Jones/George

Romero or #9 or #15

with Strick, Griffin, Geoarge, Tuck and Laney all being able to slide down a spot

Spooner, you didn’t notice the enthusiasm for Romero. You have her as a bubble not worthy of top-listing.
Griffin and Laney were signed to training camp contracts. That should be a hint to you.
When a player is signed to a training camp contract, they have to be extra amazing compared to another player expected to make the team to make the roster.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/08/18 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Romero can make it, but showing up late and most likely leaving early for National team commitment isn't helping her case.

I could see all parties deciding it is better for her to wait.

Or a partial season

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 02/09/18 2:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before she was cored, I strongly advocated signing one of my favorites, Allie Quigley. Idea

CON needs 3-pt shooting, and a tall SG that can play defense. I like Courtney Williams, but she's not a high volume 3-pt shooter. Bentley is better, but she's 5'7". Confused

Last year, Jasmine Thomas and Shekinna Stricklen were essentially the only 3-pt shooters on the team, and with Chiney coming back, Thomas will go to the 3 and Stricklen the bench, and now CON's startling lineup only has 1 3-pt shooter Shocked

Maybe they can play a double PG with Romero, but that said, I think they need to sign or draft a SG.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/09/18 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We can scratch Kayla Pedersen from the Sun. She is 100% confirmed retired from the WNBA altogether.

stever

PostPosted: 02/20/18 4:59 pm    ::: Miller Adds Poole To Sun Staff Reply Reply with quote

http://sun.wnba.com/news/miller-adds-poole-sun-staff/

Quote:
Poole started her career as the Director of Operations for the WNBA’s Portland Fire in 2000, and was an assistant coach at West Virginia from 2000-01. She worked with Miller at Bowling Green from 2001-12 and at Indiana from 2012-14.

“I am so excited to be reunited with my longtime and talented assistant coach,” Miller said. “We have a fantastic relationship and helped build two programs during our 13 years together at the collegiate level. Brandi is widely considered one of the elite assistant coaches in the country. She has tremendous work ethic and is the best multi-tasker I have been around in my coaching career.”

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/20/18 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
We can scratch Kayla Pedersen from the Sun. She is 100% confirmed retired from the WNBA altogether.

wishing her well. Enjoyed her workmanlike presence...though sometimes frustrated that she seemed to forget her offensive skills once she got into the w.

- Amanda Gorman
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/21/18 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

J. Thomas/Banham
C. Ogwumike/Tuck/Griffin
J. Jones/George

It is not so simple to "slide down a spot." Tuck cannot defend WNBA threes - and last year, she had difficulty defending anyone.

The reasons why the Sun were able to achieve a lot of success last year were:
- Jasmine Thomas demonstrating that she could have a consistent outside shot (after not shooting over 29 percent from three in the previous four seasons, she shot 40.3 percent from three in 2017).
- Moving Thomas to power forward, allowing her to play closer to the basket (which is her strength) and letting her be a secondary playmaker and facilitator from the post (the Sun averaged over 17 assists per game for the first time since 2012 and the franchise's highest APG since 2010).
- Having a great inside-outside attack of Alyssa Thomas at the four and Jonquel Jones at the five. Jones was a legitimate threat from three (44.6 percent, over 1.5 attempts per game), allowing the team to run high/low sets or have more open lanes to the basket.
- Surrounding Alyssa Thomas with shooters/players who shot over 40 percent from three (JThomas, Shekinna Stricklen, Jonquel Jones) or players who could create their own shots and shoot a high percentage overall, especially in the midrange (Courtney Williams).

Putting Chiney into the starting lineup will clog the offense, unless Ogwumike has developed an outside shot since she last played (in the W) in 2016.

On the other hand, allowing Ogwumike to come off the bench as a backup post player with a player like Kia Nurse (combo guard, ready to contribute), will give the Sun something it sorely needs - productive bench depth (Bentley scored, but was not a good shooter or terribly efficient; Kizer gave decent minutes and production off the bench but left in free agency).

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/21/18 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

J. Thomas/Banham
C. Ogwumike/Tuck/Griffin
J. Jones/George

Romero or #9 or #15

You forgot Brionna Jones. She’s going to be JJ’s backup at center.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/21/18 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

J. Thomas/Banham
C. Ogwumike/Tuck/Griffin
J. Jones/George

Romero or #9 or #15

You forgot Brionna Jones. She’s going to be JJ’s backup at center.

Shoot I knew I was forgetting someone.

OK doing the start A. Thomas and bring Chiney off the bench roster (though I do think healthy C. Ogwumike is a starter in the league, but having a starter come off the bench could be effective. I also think Ogwumike can play some Center so maybe the bench role could work) Still sticking with Nurse at #9

J. Thomas/Banham or Romero
C. Williams/Bentley
Stricklen/Nurse/(Griffith)
A. Thomas/C. Ogwumike/Tuck
J. Jones/B. Jones or Geaorge

and three of Griffith, George, B. Jones, Banham, Romero or Laney

My gut says Griffith most likely makes the final roster, but maybe not?
Could George beat out B. Jones?
Would an Aussie come in to camp without some sort of guarantee?
I can see one of Banham or Romero making it, but not both?
Conn is deep, someone decent will end up on the waiver wire.
Conn has some pieces to pull off an interesting trade. I'm not sure what exactly.
I know it has been stated that C. Ogwumike will not be traded, but Ogwumike to Chicago for the #4 pick and Faulkner could be interesting. You get Faulkner who like Chiney if she is healthy is a better back up PG than any option Conn has currently and G. Williams at #4, and it is risky for Chicago but healthy Chiney starting for the Sky at PF would be great.

J. Thomas/Faulkner
C. Williams/Bentley/Nurse (#9)
Stricklen/G. Williams(#4)
A. Thomas/Tuck/Griffith
J. Jones/B. Jones or George

(Or keep both Jones' and George and waive Griffith if you want to go a little bit bigger)

IDK that team could be really exciting. Is it better than the team above with Chiney? I'm not sure.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/18 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

J. Thomas/Banham or Romero
C. Williams/Bentley
Stricklen/Nurse/(Griffith)
A. Thomas/COgwumike/Tuck
J. Jones/BJones or George

and three of Griffith, George, B. Jones, Banham, Romero or Laney

It’s Griffin. Griffith is with the Lynx/Timberwolves.

J-Spoon wrote:

My gut says Griffith most likely makes the final roster, but maybe not?

Why is your gut steering you wrong? Can Griffin really play the SF? It’s kinda like having Asia Taylor play the SF. Might have to have Luuuc weigh in on this.

J-Spoon wrote:

Could George beat out BJones?

She better. CON traded for her, and they don’t want to look foolish considering they have all those advantages and experience working for them. How about they both make it?

J-Spoon wrote:

Would an Aussie come in to camp without some sort of guarantee?

The guarantee comes in the form of that investment called a trade.

J-Spoon wrote:

I can see one of Banham or Romero making it, but not both?

Who’s not going to make it? Could a Banham trade be in the works? I think I’ve heard that one before.

J-Spoon wrote:

Conn is deep, someone decent will end up on the waiver wire.

Who do you think will end up on the waiver wire?

J-Spoon wrote:

Conn has some pieces to pull off an interesting trade. I'm not sure what exactly.

I’ve been hearing Lavender + Wiese (or how about #11?) for Chiney for months. It’s a trademarked idea though.

J-Spoon wrote:

I know it has been stated that COgwumike will not be traded, but Ogwumike to Chicago for the #4 pick and Faulkner could be interesting. You get Faulkner who like Chiney if she is healthy is a better back up PG than any option Conn has currently and G. Williams at #4, and it is risky for Chicago but healthy Chiney starting for the Sky at PF would be great.

Chiney to Chicago for a lottery pick + something else is also trademarked. Faulkner as something else feels a bit much though, and they just signed her with an extension or whatever. If they were going to trade Faulkner it probably would have happened at the same time as the signing. Doing a trade later probably involves some complications.

J-Spoon wrote:

(Or keep both Jones' and George and waive Griffith if you want to go a little bit bigger)

I think you’re getting a little warmer.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/22/18 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want to get competitive Shade but i know I put Chiney to Chicago out a long time ago, possibly even before you or others, maybe not, but I did put it out there a while ago.

So who do you see as the Conn 12 ATM?

Also I can't remember exactly what Conn gave up (OK I looked it up it was the 21st pick which likely would have ended up not making the roster so it isn't really a costly trade) for George but I don't think it was so much that they couldn't just drop her. Keeping both George and B. Jones is possible but that cuts (you know I have some name memory issues, I get something wrong and it sticks for a while) and maybe someone who was on the roster last season.

So maybe

J. Thomas/Romero
C. Williams/Bentley/#9 (Nurse)
A. Thomas/Stricklen
C. Ogwumike/George/Tuck
J. Jones/B. Jones

but that puts A. Thomas back at the SF, or we have six players in the post. And it still only leaves one spot between Romero and Banham, maybe you get your wish and Minny can just sign her when she is waived. ANd with Griffin willing to pass up the W, would she come back if she didn't think she had a pretty good shot?

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/22/18 2:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly don't think Romero is a sure thing. And as much as I liked B. Jones in college, she's not a sure thing either. But they need 5 posts because Ogwumike and Tuck haven't shown that they can stay healthy and yeah, yeah, I know A. Thomas can play the 4 sometimes but it certainly limits them when she does.

- Amanda Gorman
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/22/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I know A. Thomas can play the 4 sometimes but it certainly limits them when she does.

In what way? Seemed to be a pretty good idea by Miller to play Thomas at the 4.

PostPosted: 02/22/18 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I don't want to get competitive Shade but i know I put Chiney to Chicago out a long time ago, possibly even before you or others, maybe not, but I did put it out there a while ago.

Also I can't remember exactly what Conn gave up (OK I looked it up it was the 21st pick which likely would have ended up not making the roster so it isn't really a costly trade) for George but I don't think it was so much that they couldn't just drop her. Keeping both George and B. Jones is possible but that cuts (you know I have some name memory issues, I get something wrong and it sticks for a while) and maybe someone who was on the roster last season.

So maybe

J. Thomas/Romero
A. Thomas/Stricklen
C. Ogwumike/George/Tuck
J. Jones/B. Jones

but that puts A. Thomas back at the SF, or we have six players in the post. And it still only leaves one spot between Romero and Banham, maybe you get your wish and Minny can just sign her when she is waived. ANd with Griffin willing to pass up the W, would she come back if she didn't think she had a pretty good shot?

Oh no, Spoon, you asked Shades to actually make a prediction at a roster? He doesn't do that, just pokes fun at everyone else's.

CHINEY IS NOT GETTING TRADED. GET OVER IT SHADES.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/22/18 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

So maybe

J. Thomas/Romero
A. Thomas/Stricklen
C. Ogwumike/George/Tuck
J. Jones/B. Jones

With this team makeup, my thoughts would be:

Nurse will be a starter, after a few games. She's 6', shooter, defender, wide receiver, leader, takes charges, and never takes a play off. She'll always guard the opposing team's best guard. Two-way player.

Rebounding galore with A-Train, Ogwumike and Jones. Ogwumike will allow J. Jones to get out more for 3-balls. Ogwumike can defend well unlike the other PFs.

Rotate the rest.

J. Thomas
K. Nurse
A-Train
C. Ogwumike
J. Jones

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/22/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the things any coach tries to do is get his best five on the floor -- and for Connecticut that five includes three players most comfortable at the four and five.

But there are 80 minutes to divide up in those spots, and with Chiney a capable five in the right matchups, that's 27 minutes each just at those two positions.

Give Thomas 10 minutes at small forward when the other team puts in a perimeter player who's not much of a scorer, and you're fine.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: