RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USC @ #15 Oregon St 4pm PAC12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/18/18 4:25 pm    ::: USC @ #15 Oregon St 4pm PAC12 Reply Reply with quote

18-10 OSU end 1st.

PostPosted: 02/18/18 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I missed the 1st period and watching the 2nd I wonder how OSU ever opened an 8 pt lead. I swear they had more turnovers than field goal attempts in the 2nd period.

willtalk

PostPosted: 02/18/18 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC suckered OSU into playing a one on one game. They were moving the ball earlier. OR st entirely too much one on one dribbling. Pass the ball. The ball moves faster when you pass it.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/18/18 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My god, are all the PAC12 color women Mare Murphy clones? Is there a PAC12 Network color commentary school? Laughing

PostPosted: 02/18/18 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Gulich is a better player than Hamblin. At least I like her game more.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/18/18 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
My god, are all the PAC12 color women Mare Murphy clones? Is there a PAC12 Network color commentary school? Laughing

they're all Mary Murphy wannabes.

Meanwhile, Simon the thuggiest player in the P12, fouls out. If you watch her, she's always doing the extra little dirty stuff. Makes it hard for me to root for USC, even though I think he's doing a good job with what he has.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/18/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I think Gulich is a better player than Hamblin. At least I like her game more.

She's more agile and has a really nice soft midrange touch. She just gets better and better with her footwork. I think she's gong to surprise people at how high she goes in the WNBA draft...assuming she plans to stay in the States to play at the next level.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/18/18 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I think Gulich is a better player than Hamblin.

Probably true, but it's not saying much, imo.

PostPosted: 02/18/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
I think Gulich is a better player than Hamblin.

Probably true, but it's not saying much, imo.

I think she's better than Russell, but that's also not nec. saying much.

- Amanda Gorman
willtalk

PostPosted: 02/18/18 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

they're all Mary Murphy wannabes.

Meanwhile, Simon the thuggiest player in the P12, fouls out. If you watch her, she's always doing the extra little dirty stuff. Makes it hard for me to root for USC, even though I think he's doing a good job with what he has.

I also thought she did a real acting job on that flagrant on Gulich. She was beary brushed by Guliches tricep and hit the ground like like she was shot. Then she gets up and works her jaw. Of course with any type of contact and an acting job like that they are forced to make the call. I mean if someone fouls you I can see making sure it obvious but drawing one like that is absurd. I have more respect for a over physical player than I do for someone that fakes hits like that.

I need to make a correction on what I wrote in the previous paragraph. One rewatching the video of the game a few times it was not Gulich's tricip that hit Simon but indeed her elbow. However unless Simon has a glass jaw she definitely put on quite an act since it only grazed her at the maximum. I suppose it is possible for someone of Simons size to have a weak chin. I could have replaced what I wrote with this but I believe in leaving mistakes as they are. it's about taking responsibility for making errors.

Last edited by willtalk on 02/19/18 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/18/18 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mazyck is a dynamic player but I think her 3 shooting took them out of both games this weekend. Somehow you gotta know if you're unable to hit, then do something else besides heave 'em up. I mean, both these games were so close you have to think just a couple of little things would make a huge difference and her shooting 1-18 or something like that from three is certainly more than a little thing.

- Amanda Gorman
LitePal

PostPosted: 02/19/18 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC player accuses OSU fans of racial taunts. Just a thought but when people also call players "thugs", nothing good comes of it.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/usc-player-accuses-oregon-state-fans-of-racial-slurs/article_f8210c72-8bce-5a21-b89c-5326f06c1610.html

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/19/18 5:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
USC player accuses OSU fans of racial taunts. Just a thought but when people also call players "thugs", nothing good comes of it.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/usc-player-accuses-oregon-state-fans-of-racial-slurs/article_f8210c72-8bce-5a21-b89c-5326f06c1610.html

I don't disagree.

willtalk

PostPosted: 02/19/18 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

Do people even know where the term Thug originated? The Thuggies were a sect in India that terrorized the Engish who really had no business being in India. It was the English who gave the term the negative meaning associated with it today.

That said it is ridiculous that words used to define negative behavior should be taken out of usage just because someone has an issue with using that term. Where does it end? Pretty soon you have all negative connotations to actions being taken out of usage. Who gets to define what is appropriate and what is not. The major problem is that people in this country are basically illiterate. They need to learn the actual origin of terms and the meaning they convey before they are allowed to decide what they mean to them personally. The terms themselves are neutral, it is only individuals who would assign them specifically to one group or the other. To say that any term defining negative behavior should never be applied to an individual that might be of a certain group is nothing but a manipulative ploy to avoid accountability or criticism.

If people want to be offended perhaps they should investigate the origin and meaning of the term "Redneck". They might be surprised and how it is being totally misused.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this the "you can't say "thug" because it's code for black" mickey mouse bs again?

Trump is a thug. Stale Ale on the court was a thug. "Thug" has no racial connotation. If the user of the term means it to have one, that's on them.

The OSU fans who called the players Ns and B Bs should be held accountable. It's unacceptable in that environment.

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you'll recall, Trump ejected a protester and called him a "thug". Were there any questions anywhere? We had a discussion about this a while ago and we do have to confront our own prejudices. When we hear a player called a "thug" that we are unfamiliar with, do we naturally assume they are African American? Do they usually turn out to be?

Etymology aside, it remains a compelling discussion today, especially when these accusations are levied and the teams are of such radically different racial makeup.

At the end of the original article is the note that Scott Rueck spoke with the USC players after hearing of the incident. A really good guy.

A couple of excellent discussions:

https://www.npr.org/2015/04/30/403362626/the-racially-charged-meaning-behind-the-word-thug

http://www.ebony.com/news-views/thug-is-the-new-n-word-504

Last edited by LitePal on 02/19/18 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
If you'll recall, Trump ejected a protester and called him a "thug". Were there any questions anywhere? We had a discussion about this a while ago and we do have to confront our own prejudices. When we hear a player called a "thug" that we are unfamiliar with, do we naturally assume they are African American? Do they usually turn out to be?

Etymology aside, it remains a compelling discussion today, especially when these accusations are levied and the teams are of such radically different racial makeup.

https://www.npr.org/2015/04/30/403362626/the-racially-charged-meaning-behind-the-word-thug

Indeed, we live in a racist country.

Be it known to all, my personal usage of "thug" remains race-neutral.

PostPosted: 02/19/18 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with you huskies fan. I also still believe "thug" is race-neutral. Indeed in my mind the initial picture would be much more a mafia-type enforcer than anything else, but it doesn't mean in certain circumstances it could be used for other races. Unfortunately we do live in a racist society and because of that words can often morph from one meaning to another over time. That may now be happening with the word "thug"

"Welfare" was a perfectly fine word in the 60's. It started to get a more negative connotation over time but it wasn't until Ronald Reagan's use of the term "Welfare Queen" that 'welfare' came to have a particularly negative connotation. Throughout the 80's and 90's nearly every state changed its terminology from "welfare" to "public assistance," but the longer the term gets the more forced and awkward it sounds. The same is true of African-American, mentally challenged or otherwise abled. Perhaps I will have to start using the term "physical enforcer" instead of "thug" soon, but I hope not.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/18 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't USC supposed to be greatly improved this season?

What happened to that?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/20/18 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

What happened to that?

Actually USC was picked 8th in the coaches poll. The full poll was pretty accurate:

1. UCLA
2 (tie) Oregon
2 (tie) Stanford
4 Oregon St
5 California
6 Arizona St
7 Washington St
8 USC
9 Utah
10 Colorado
11 Arizona
12 Washington

IM in OC

PostPosted: 02/20/18 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

What happened to that?

USC plays 6 players.
The starting 5 average between 32mpg to 39mpg

They did the same exact thing as UCLA did. They went to Oregon and lost both games in OT.

If they had one extra reliable player they would be in the top 4 of the conference.

Trakh has done wonders this year with what he has to work with.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/20/18 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Indeed, we live in a racist country.

Be it known to all, my personal usage of "thug" remains race-neutral.

me too. My first picture of thug is actually white male asshole. But I have wanted to like Simon for four years, and that is always the word that comes to mind after watching her play. She's just plain dirty and she is of a size to be an enforcer. She may be a sweetheart off the court, but that's her persona on it. I think some on here have used it on Cunningham, but I haven't seen enough of her to know if it actually applies. Anyway I'm sorry if I have offended anybody. If it matters, my own close family is racially mixed...some white, some black, some hispanic, some Asian, and many mixtures therefrom. My hope is that eventually we will all be 'mixed' and then these distinctions will no longer exist.

- Amanda Gorman
LitePal

PostPosted: 02/20/18 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They also lost incoming Destiny Littleton to Texas after the coaching change and Ayanna Clark to academics. The switch also lost them a probable started in Valerie Higgins and Asiah Jones and Shallexus Aaron were both out with injuries.

Had Higgins stayed, I agree a top 4 finish would have been realistic.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/20/18 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What happened to that?

USC plays 6 players.
The starting 5 average between 32mpg to 39mpg

They did the same exact thing as UCLA did. They went to Oregon and lost both games in OT.

If they had one extra reliable player they would be in the top 4 of the conference.

Trakh has done wonders this year with what he has to work with.

USC lost to Oregon St in regulation. Otherwise I agree with everything you wrote. And with a little Moore next year the future is bright.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: