RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alabama @ #11 Tennessee 2/15/18 6:30 PM ET SECN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/16/18 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
ewecon wrote:
One of the best things about a Lady Vol loss id visiting VolNation and seeing them eat their young! It's really quite entertaining.

One poster left this little nugget in the game thread..... "And for all the arrogant UCONN fans, the minute Geno leaves, it will be even worse for them. Dreadful conference, little school in Cow-town USA, average campus, nothing to do there, etc etc... their time will come."

If the person who wrote that happens to see this thread, you're not very informed.....

1. Dreadful Conference. Can't argue with that. That said, there aren't many conferences, if any, UCONN wouldn't have had undefeated conference seasons in.

2. Cow-town? UConn has a beautiful rural campus.

3. Little school? Nope. Based on enrollment numbers, TN is only slightly bigger than UConn (30K vs. 26K)

UConn is ranked #56 nationally (USNews annual rankings). UT? #103. UConn has a 49% acceptance rate. UT? 77%. If you're reading this and are a UT student or alumnus, you've done nothing but prove any dumbass can get into UT.

If UConn makes the foolish decision to limit their coaching search to alumni, or worse lets Geno pick his own successor, then they will go down the same road Tennessee is on now. The difference is that being stuck in the AAC is likely to put the Hussies in an unrecoverable position once the failure of whoever it is becomes apparent. It's not hard to see UConn becoming Old Dominion or La Tech once Geno retires.

I really don't think it matters who picks up the torch when Geno leaves or dies, there's bound to be a drop in fortunes. He is one of a kind and there is not another. No matter who they hire, I don't think s/he can measure up. Anyone nearly as good will not likely want to leave where they are, which kind of leaves it to assistants or alumni or younger coaches. You don't really want to be the one who follows a legend.... And I'm not being nasty here, I think I'm being realistic, or trying to.

Everything ends. Take it from this UCLA alumnus. Every dynasty eventually crumbles.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/16/18 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
ewecon wrote:
One of the best things about a Lady Vol loss id visiting VolNation and seeing them eat their young! It's really quite entertaining.

One poster left this little nugget in the game thread..... "And for all the arrogant UCONN fans, the minute Geno leaves, it will be even worse for them. Dreadful conference, little school in Cow-town USA, average campus, nothing to do there, etc etc... their time will come."

If the person who wrote that happens to see this thread, you're not very informed.....

1. Dreadful Conference. Can't argue with that. That said, there aren't many conferences, if any, UCONN wouldn't have had undefeated conference seasons in.

3. Little school? Nope. Based on enrollment numbers, TN is only slightly bigger than UConn (30K vs. 26K)

UConn is ranked #56 nationally (USNews annual rankings). UT? #103. UConn has a 49% acceptance rate. UT? 77%. If you're reading this and are a UT student or alumnus, you've done nothing but prove any dumbass can get into UT.

If UConn makes the foolish decision to limit their coaching search to alumni, or worse lets Geno pick his own successor, then they will go down the same road Tennessee is on now. The difference is that being stuck in the AAC is likely to put the Hussies in an unrecoverable position once the failure of whoever it is becomes apparent. It's not hard to see UConn becoming Old Dominion or La Tech once Geno retires.

I really don't think it matters who picks up the torch when Geno leaves or dies, there's bound to be a drop in fortunes. He is one of a kind and there is not another. No matter who they hire, I don't think s/he can measure up. Anyone nearly as good will not likely want to leave where they are, which kind of leaves it to assistants or alumni or younger coaches. You don't really want to be the one who follows a legend.... And I'm not being nasty here, I think I'm being realistic, or trying to.

Everything ends. Take it from this UCLA alumnus. Every dynasty eventually crumbles.

True that. So enjoy it while it lasts and remember that it won't.

PostPosted: 02/16/18 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
ewecon wrote:

Sounds like a cynic giving a bride advise on her wedding day. You'll forgive me if I take the first half of your advise and ignore the rest. From your comment I can infer that you can't wait till it's only a memory. Very Happy

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/16/18 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
ewecon wrote:

Sounds like a cynic giving a bride advise on her wedding day. You'll forgive me if I take the first half of your advise and ignore the rest.

I have an app on my phone called WeCroak that, five times a day, sends me this notice: "Remember, you're going to die." It's based on this theory that the only way to truly cherish one's time alive is to be frequently reminded that said time will end.

UConn's time at the top of the mountain is great, and it's amazing, and it's historic. And also: it will end. You can opt to remind yourself of that, or of course you can opt not to.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/16/18 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's the Coach not the players....

linkster

PostPosted: 02/16/18 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

UConn's time at the top of the mountain is great, and it's amazing, and it's historic. And also: it will end. You can opt to remind yourself of that, or of course you can opt not to.

I like the Ap and I am well aware that all things come to an end. The difference is that my death will effect me personally while UConn's fall from th top of wbcc will not change my life at all. Although I'm a UConn alumni I watch them because they play a beautiful form of basketball. If they played like Tenn plays I simply would find something else to do. I'm not a masochist.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/17/18 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

I like the Ap and I am well aware that all things come to an end. The difference is that my death will effect me personally while UConn's fall from th top of wbcc will not change my life at all. Although I'm a UConn alumni I watch them because they play a beautiful form of basketball. If they played like Tenn plays I simply would find something else to do. I'm not a masochist.

Right on. UConn ball is definitely beautiful. I get why you're a fan.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 02/17/18 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I ENJOYED watching Margo's youtube video of this game! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Davis4632

PostPosted: 02/17/18 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

I guess you have to jump off the train when it finally goes down the hill.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/17/18 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
linkster wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

I guess you have to jump off the train when it finally goes down the hill.

That depends on how steep the hill is. I watched UConn very casually from way back around 1991/1992, I became a regular fan in 1995. When they went 4 years before a second title I still watched and the 3 "dark years" didn't end my interest. I don't need UConn to dominate like they have been doing the last 6 years. Just entertain. There's a deep drop from where UConn is to Tenn's level of play. Tenn gets to the S16 (a dubious achievement IMO) most years but the journey to there has been pretty ugly. If I was a season ticket holder I wouldn't be satisfied with decent play in the NCAA's if I had to pay to watch effortless displays like we saw on Thursday.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/17/18 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, it's bad enough when ESPN shoehorns UConn into a game that UConn's not relevant to. Can we maybe not do it here? Please?

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/17/18 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/17/18 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
You know, it's bad enough when ESPN shoehorns UConn into a game that UConn's not relevant to. Can we maybe not do it here? Please?

Geno is everywhere
Geno is everything
Geno is everybody
Geno is still the king

PostPosted: 02/17/18 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

And while I'm griping, I'll call Hayes out for an attitude adjustment too. For someone who's so damn fast when she wants to make an ill-advised drive to the basket in traffic, she trots around on defense. Lately, whenever she throws the ball away, she stands and watches her teammates try to get back to stop the opponents in transition. She's also in need of a serious kick in the ***. Either CHW is incapable or maybe Hayes' father's public tirade against CHW last month has deterred her from giving said kick. Either way, it's easy to understand the root of her recent comments about the difficulties in coaching effort.

Voted "Most Likely to Transfer".
And to be a bust and constant problem at her new destination too.
(But coaches will be lined up kissing the family's ass to try.)
This year's Best Prototypical AAU Product ( and that's not a good thing).

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/17/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

And while I'm griping, I'll call Hayes out for an attitude adjustment too. For someone who's so damn fast when she wants to make an ill-advised drive to the basket in traffic, she trots around on defense. Lately, whenever she throws the ball away, she stands and watches her teammates try to get back to stop the opponents in transition. She's also in need of a serious kick in the ***. Either CHW is incapable or maybe Hayes' father's public tirade against CHW last month has deterred her from giving said kick. Either way, it's easy to understand the root of her recent comments about the difficulties in coaching effort.

I think she's a loose cannon both on and off the court. But OMG, her younger sisters are even better than she is, want to play at the same school she does, and are going to make any program an instant nat'l champion.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/17/18 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
ewecon wrote:

Sounds like a cynic giving a bride advise on her wedding day. You'll forgive me if I take the first half of your advise and ignore the rest. From your comment I can infer that you can't wait till it's only a memory. Very Happy

You just can't resist being nasty, can you? I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't the same person who also posts here under another identity.

Actually I was reflecting on the many dynasties I've seen come and go in the years I've been watching WBB....Delta State, LA Tech, ODU, UNC, UT... but you apparently don't get that, or don't want to.

PostPosted: 02/17/18 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I think she's a loose cannon both on and off the court. But OMG, her younger sisters are even better than she is, want to play at the same school she does, and are going to make any program an instant nat'l champion.

I'll take that bet that none of them ever win a national championship.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 02/18/18 3:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
ewecon wrote:

You just can't resist being nasty, can you? I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't the same person who also posts here under another identity.

Actually I was reflecting on the many dynasties I've seen come and go in the years I've been watching WBB....Delta State, LA Tech, ODU, UNC, UT... but you apparently don't get that, or don't want to.

UNC Women Soccer was a dynasty, UNC WBB wasn't a dynasty.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/18/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
[

UNC Women Soccer was a dynasty, UNC WBB wasn't a dynasty.

There have been but 2 dynasties, UConn and Tenn. LA Tech has 2 titles & ODU 1. LA Tech was a top program for a long time but If they were a dynasty then so is Baylor & Stanford.

And for the record, this is my only persona on this board. I use the name Alydar on the BY but I'm linkster everywhere else. Trying to attribute others' comments to me is unfair. I have enough work defending my own.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/18/18 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You’re only looking at NCAA and only at titles. I’m going back to AIAW and also looking at those perennially appearing in Final Fours. Been at this a little longer than you.

Last edited by summertime blues on 02/19/18 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 02/18/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
You’re only looking at NCAA and only at titles. I’m going back to AIAW and also looking at those pernnially appearing in Final Fours. Been at this a little longer than you.

A dynasty to me involves winning many titles over an extended period of time. The Canadians, the Celtics, the Eskimos. the Yankees were all dynasties. Using your definition Notre Dame is a dynasty because despite only wining one title they have been to a lot of final fours. And we would also have to include Southern Connecticut St. & Wayland Baptist, both of whom reached the final four 3 times. Of course back then making a final four meant you had won 2 games in the 16 team tournament.

Theoretically, using your criteria there are currently three separate "dynasties" in today's WCBB. UConn with 10 straight FF's Notre Dame with 5 straight within the last 10 years, and Stanford with 7 FF's in the last 10. I disagree that that is a proper use of the term but to each his/her own.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: