RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hey Geno-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 12:07 am    ::: Hey Geno- Reply Reply with quote

Will you PLEASE prohibit Stevens from shooting 3s?

Isn't 7-42 over 4 months enough proof that she FUCKING SUCKS behind the arc?

Thanks dude.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 02/13/18 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed. When she took one yesterday I screamed "THAT'S NOT YOUR JOB!"

I don't know if Geno heard me but he did take her out first opportunity thereafter.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/18 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="584" height="328" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BdQtrAjioZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="584" height="328" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hx5EE8sJ8fM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the rest of us are heartened by airball threes. Go on Azura. Shoot til your arm falls off! Overall, she's not quite up to the UConn mythology...yet.

Of course my fantasy team was not thrilled with Collier's 0-4 yesterday either.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn's starting lineup already includes the worst three-point shooter in program history for players 6 feet and under. Fortunately, she's been given the red light on shooting long shots, and serves instead as the playmaking axis around which the entire half court offense revolves -- a role at which she is very good.

While Stevens can score and rebound easily over midgets, against bigger players she plays too soft too often, both physically and mentally. She gets pushed around too much, doesn't push other players around enough, and makes mistakes on blocks and fouls. UConn often goes into a zone when she enters the game.

I still think of Stevens as one of the frequent examples of a tall girl who didn't get good and appropriate coaching during her formation years. By that, I mean not being schooled in classic back-to-the-basket low post moves and footwork, and being too much allowed to roam lazily around the outside flinging up shots.

She's still a good pro prospect on based on her height, coordination and short shot touch, but hopefully she can improve her physical and mental skills and toughness with another year at UConn.
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

one more thing Geno, while I've got your ear, Wink ,

if you're going to have stupid vegas-style player intros, and you're going to play Come Together over the PA, can you at least play the freaking BEATLES original and not that POS Aerosmith cover?

I watched you yapping w/ Gabby about vinyl and B sides and album cuts beyond the single releases, etc.. You're a guy who appreciates quality- food, wine, basketball...

Please! Shit-can that Aerosmith crap, SUBITO!

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno has complained repeatedly that she ignores what the coaches tell her, so why would you think telling her not to shoot 3s would matter?

Frankly, if I was a WNBA GM, that would be a huge red flag to me.

In contrast, Shepard seems to have taken McGraws "no 3s allowed" instructions to heart.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got this one switched up, Shepard prob needs to shoot as she is undersized for W and will struggle to go beyond 3 point line to 3 point line and Stevens needs to shoot 1 foot from the basket Laughing

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/13/18 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come on, Art.

I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know, as well as any other UConn aficionado does, that Geno has said Stevens makes the 3 in practice w/ regularity.

THAT'S why I'm asking him to put up the stop sign.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn's starting lineup already includes the worst three-point shooter in program history for players 6 feet and under. Fortunately, she's been given the red light on shooting long shots, and serves instead as the playmaking axis around which the entire half court offense revolves -- a role at which she is very good.

While Stevens can score and rebound easily over midgets, against bigger players she plays too soft too often, both physically and mentally. She gets pushed around too much, doesn't push other players around enough, and makes mistakes on blocks and fouls. UConn often goes into a zone when she enters the game.

I still think of Stevens as one of the frequent examples of a tall girl who didn't get good and appropriate coaching during her formation years. By that, I mean not being schooled in classic back-to-the-basket low post moves and footwork, and being too much allowed to roam lazily around the outside flinging up shots.

She's still a good pro prospect on based on her height, coordination and short shot touch, but hopefully she can improve her physical and mental skills and toughness with another year at UConn.

1. (Obviously) Azura's bad coaching extended into her first two years of college. Duh.
2. I believe she had a late growth spurt, which can help explain her lack of post moves and favor of jump shots
3. While she was never great shooting the three at Duke, she didn't stink it up like she does now. She must know it's not her job at UConn but is going to do it anyway so psychs herself out. At Duke, she was golden and could do whatever she wanted.
4. Perhaps one more year of Geno's coaching will get her playing up to her capabilities.
5. I will always admire her for leaving Duke Coach JPM. No matter what, she's on my list of all time faves. Voting with your feet is effective, as evidenced by lack of highly rating recruits choosing to play for JPM.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/13/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Geno has complained repeatedly that she ignores what the coaches tell her, so why would you think telling her not to shoot 3s would matter?

Frankly, if I was a WNBA GM, that would be a huge red flag to me.

In contrast, Shepard seems to have taken McGraws "no 3s allowed" instructions to heart.

I wonder if Geno's tried reverse psychology yet. "Yeah, sure, we want you jacking all the threes you can handle out there."

(now with spelling variations)
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/14/18 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is actually an interesting dilemma ...

So you have a player who does X consistently in practice, whether it be making threes, rebounding, doing better than Player B.

But when it comes to games, she can't quite get it going like she does in practice.

Do you, then, discount what happens in practice every day and just go off game performance? If so, you are risking practice habits, because if the players see that what they do in practice isn't as important as what happens in games, then players, being smart, will not work as hard in practice and focus on producing in games.

In the long run, though, the lowered work rate in practice will catch up to you in games.

Then again, at what point do you pull the plug and say "OK, in this situation, we're going to ignore practice results and go with what happens in games"? And how do you deliver that message?

In this particular case, if you feel, and see in practice, that Stevens can be a good three-point shooter, then you'd like her to be able to do that in games, especially next year. It's unlikely she will improve much if she doesn't shoot them in games, but maybe it's in her head now and she'd be better off not shooting threes this year.

Or do you maintain public and private confidence, believing that what you see in practice will manifest in games if Stevens makes a few and builds up her confidence?

Not an easy call ...

PostPosted: 02/14/18 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is actually an interesting dilemma ...

So you have a player who does X consistently in practice, whether it be making threes, rebounding, doing better than Player B.

But when it comes to games, she can't quite get it going like she does in practice.

Do you, then, discount what happens in practice every day and just go off game performance? If so, you are risking practice habits, because if the players see that what they do in practice isn't as important as what happens in games, then players, being smart, will not work as hard in practice and focus on producing in games.

In the long run, though, the lowered work rate in practice will catch up to you in games.

Then again, at what point do you pull the plug and say "OK, in this situation, we're going to ignore practice results and go with what happens in games"? And how do you deliver that message?

In this particular case, if you feel, and see in practice, that Stevens can be a good three-point shooter, then you'd like her to be able to do that in games, especially next year. It's unlikely she will improve much if she doesn't shoot them in games, but maybe it's in her head now and she'd be better off not shooting threes this year.

Or do you maintain public and private confidence, believing that what you see in practice will manifest in games if Stevens makes a few and builds up her confidence?

Not an easy call ...

PostPosted: 02/14/18 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe people are just underestimating the level that is played at and expected. In the long run Stevens will become a better player but it is not easy clearly.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/18 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s tough defending a 6’6 player who is a danger from the three. Either you’re pulling your tall defender in man coverage away from the basket, leaving it vulnerable OR you’re trying to guard her with a shorter player who she can easily shoot over. I wouldn’t be bothered by an occasional heat check by Stevens. If she gets it going, that’s scary.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/14/18 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That would be true if she was actually pulling a defender out to the 3 point line, but she isn't.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
That would be true if she was actually pulling a defender out to the 3 point line, but she isn't.

Then she’s gotta take the shot. Isn’t that Geno preaches? If you have open shot, take it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/14/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

1. (Obviously) Azura's bad coaching extended into her first two years of college. Duh.
2. I believe she had a late growth spurt, which can help explain her lack of post moves and favor of jump shots
3. While she was never great shooting the three at Duke, she didn't stink it up like she does now. She must know it's not her job at UConn but is going to do it anyway so psychs herself out. At Duke, she was golden and could do whatever she wanted.
4. Perhaps one more year of Geno's coaching will get her playing up to her capabilities.
5. I will always admire her for leaving Duke Coach JPM. No matter what, she's on my list of all time faves. Voting with your feet is effective, as evidenced by lack of highly rating recruits choosing to play for JPM.

Amazing. I suppose it was inevitable that you would strain to find some rdiculous way to try and blame McCallie. Rolling Eyes

She's been under Geno's tutelage now for nearly two years. Nearly as much as she was McCallie. Yet Geno complains that she gets told something at halftime and on the first possession of the second half ignores what she was told and does the opposite. Maybe the problem is HER, not either coach. Unless you're next going to tell us Geno is a shitty coach too which is why she doesn't listen to him? And then we can all laugh at your comment.

Personally, if I was a WNBA GM, she would not be on my draft list. At any draft position. I simply don't want her on my team regardless of her physical talents.

goforit77

PostPosted: 02/14/18 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Amazing. I suppose it was inevitable that you would strain to find some rdiculous way to try and blame McCallie. Rolling Eyes

She's been under Geno's tutelage now for nearly two years. Nearly as much as she was McCallie. Yet Geno complains that she gets told something at halftime and on the first possession of the second half ignores what she was told and does the opposite. Maybe the problem is HER, not either coach. Unless you're next going to tell us Geno is a shitty coach too which is why she doesn't listen to him? And then we can all laugh at your comment.

Personally, if I was a WNBA GM, she would not be on my draft list. At any draft position. I simply don't want her on my team regardless of her physical talents.

Azura is mentally soft....She was at Duke & still is at Uconn.

Heard that PART of the reason for her leaving is she wanted no part of being the "face" of the program...or the responsibility that comes with that...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/14/18 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:

Heard that PART of the reason for her leaving is she wanted no part of being the "face" of the program...or the responsibility that comes with that...

Not true at all, on both counts.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/14/18 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Then she’s gotta take the shot. Isn’t that Geno preaches? If you have open shot, take it.

I believe that is the point, she is taking the shot, keeps missing but she is taking the shot.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/14/18 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
goforit77 wrote:

Not true at all, on both counts.

The second point might have some truth to it in that she didn't want to be the face of THAT program (Duke). But close to 99% of the reason she transferred is she wanted Geno to make her into a better player. Thinking about her earning power in the WNBA, but especially overseas. More immediately thinking about being part of a program that excels.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/14/18 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Shades wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

I believe that is the point, she is taking the shot, keeps missing but she is taking the shot.

And a good scout team is gonna try to dare her to take that shot, hopefully over and over again.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/15/18 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too true Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: