RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why old people don't like new music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:12 pm    ::: Why old people don't like new music Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/10/opinion/sunday/favorite-songs.html

Quote:
Songs that came out decades earlier are now, on average, most popular among men who were 14 when they were first released. The most important period for men in forming their adult tastes were the ages 13 to 16.

What about women? On average, their favorite songs came out when they were 13. The most important period for women were the ages 11 to 14.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i haven't read this piece, but on the face of it, i'd question the foundation on which these conclusions are based.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh. I have to say this. I LOVE my old music. But my FAVORITE shit to do is to listen to KCRW's broadcasts on weekend afternoons, or any other time, when they play nothing but new music. It drives mrs jammer nuts but I LOVE to hear music I haven't heard before. I'm really incredibly sick and tired of hearing the same shit over and over and over again my entire life. Life is too short.

Change of subject area but same principle. CNN. It is INCREDIBLE to me that there are not published critiques on the New York Times or other serious journalistic outlets cataloging the many terrible sins of CNN and number one on that list would be repetition of a single news item, spoken over and over again, by all of their anchors, and 'contributors', all day long, for days on end.

Currently it's someone named Rob Porter. This story broke last week. But I challenge you to turn on CNN right now and NOT hear Rob Porter's name and not just that but something that sounds like a mere repeated statement of facts we already knew days ago regarding Kelly's role, Trump's comments, who knew what and when and how it applies to the guy's security clearance and on and on.

Folks. The PEOPLE of this country have important needs and business and desperately need to be kept informed on a wide and wild shifting landscape of news stories that are important if not CRITICALLY relevant to their lives.

One asshole's domestic abuse strife? Seriously? Americans everywhere have this shit in their own families. Cover it. No one is suggesting it shouldn't have been covered. But the mother fucker is gone now. I remember how it was when a scandal resulted in the ouster of staff members in the past. They were gone, the news moved on. There was no time to continue to dig at the story. It was OVER. lol. Does anyone remember those days? Jesus.

Yeah, music. Shocked I do like the new stuff. I love the old stuff. It CAN be all good. It rarely is but we all get to pick and choose.

Sorry for the off topic rant. Embarassed

pilight

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I remember how it was when a scandal resulted in the ouster of staff members in the past. They were gone, the news moved on. There was no time to continue to dig at the story. It was OVER. lol. Does anyone remember those days? Jesus.

Back before we had 24 hour "news" networks? Yeah, I remember. Now, they've got hours to fill and not near enough actual news to fill it.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'm not surprised by the finding.

for most folks, music is just another consumer good and it's more important in their younger life.

many good things are associated w/ that time, and music is the conduit for fond memories.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder about the age range. I would say I listen most frequently to music ( or actually artists) from, say, '68-'78 and alternative rock from the mid 90s to '05 or so. But I listen to new music too, and especially new music from of artists.

But I don't listen to much from age 16 or less.

And what do you call it if you listen to new Eric Clapton or Neil Young music, or to Tedeschi Trucks Band (if you became interested initially because of Trucks's membership in the All an Bros Band even if your interest in the ABB far predates him). Is that 70s music or new music?

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/13/18 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm willing to believe that those are formative years for musical taste... but music that came out at that time, or music that the listener was exposed to at that time?

(now with spelling variations)
tfan

PostPosted: 02/13/18 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a similar experience to jammerbirdi. I listen to top 40 music (mostly when I am in the car). And I have always listened primarily to the current top 40 music. When I thought about it I initially felt my tastes must keep changing, but then realized I just get tired of hearing a song no matter how much I originally liked it. I think no different than the way people tire of a hit playing right now. If I sign up for a music subscription service after not having one for a number of years, I will give the old hits a go for a few times, but quickly get tired of them. Some I will look for and add to a playlist but not even play all the way through.

Same with watching The Voice or American Idol, etc. I much prefer when contestants come out and sing recent songs, and not something I have heard for decades. But I think the older songs are better suited to live singing so you get a lot of them.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 02/13/18 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Less and less tv for me. My teenage years started in 73 but my music tastes have brought me to the Doo-wop era, Motown, to late 60s and CCR etc.

Once in a while something new catches my ear, but spin me Cooke, Nelson, Pickett, Dion and almost all from that era anytime of the day

www.barnstormingamerica.net
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/13/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only thing stopping me from enjoying new music more than I already do (and I do enjoy it) is time.

While I was a student I had a *lot* of free time and a lot of rechargeable batteries for my Walkman. At Uni there was a CD library where you could rent a new CD overnight for $2, or an older one for a week, so I filled up a lot of blank cassettes with music during those years.
Nowadays music is more accessible than ever but other than when I'm in my car/on the bus, I just don't have as much free time to discover and listen.

I'm a child of the 80s and that was a great era that I still enjoy today, but I am far from tied to it.

PostPosted: 02/14/18 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's all really simple. Whether anyone is young, old or dead, the quality of music has been in decline since Woodstock in 1969. And this is so in all genres: rock & roll, classical, folk, blues, jazz, bluegrass, pop, soul, Broadway musicals, movie musicals, and opera. They're all gone to flowers, everyone.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just wrong.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/14/18 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I saw the thread title I was counting on either you or cthskzfn to come through with the goods, and was getting worried after he let me down, so thanks.

PostPosted: 02/14/18 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

see, i'm thinking that, while the music you're exposed to when you're a teenager might have some impact, it's not till you're a bit older, especially if you went to college, that you make real choices about the kind of music you like. or maybe that was just my own experience. i'm not sure. i grew up listening to jazz because that's what my mother played on the radio. i chose to listen to r&b in my teens because that was the culture around me. but when i was in college was when i made more personal choices of styles and artists, buying the music and building my collection. which, incidentally, started out in jazz fusion, then more decidedly jazz, and eventually to world music and world jazz.

and i still listen to new music. and, inexplicably, i really like, for lack of a better term, "world electronic." not just straight electronic for electronic's sake, but marrying electronic with world percussion.

i used college as a marker because it's a situation in which you're out on your own, away from home (usually) and exposed to more choices.

PostPosted: 02/14/18 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

and i still listen to new music. and, inexplicably, i really like, for lack of a better term, "world electronic." not just straight electronic for electronic's sake, but marrying electronic with world percussion.

Yes. Exactly. (And the rest that I didn't quote.) On KCRW they play music that is generally new but it's not music from the record companies. OMG far from it. KCRW is the (in name only) 'college' radio station for Santa Monica College. So no students in any media or radio class as far as I know actually get to work on the station. It is THE most whatever the fuck they say college radio station in the country. It has been run for decades by seasoned (like in their 80s I would bet) super powerful meanies who keep the kids far away from their precious nationally preeminant 'college' radio station. Etc.

BUT... they do maintain a standard. And part of that standard is being a vanguard of this certain type of 'new' music. I used to know what it was called. Let me google it. Okay, can't really find a name to the 'genre'. And it appears they've had some personnel changes since I last checked like 15 years ago. Embarassed

So here is a link to their music page. It has some live stream thing.

So I think it may be called New Age Pop? To late (or early) for me to check that but it doesn't sound quite right. Progressive Pop?

That reminds me of something actually specific and accurate in terms of new music that I do like. Trip Hop. And I believe that KCRW plays a LOT of Trip Hop. Their music choices generally are, as sambista describes it, electronic, with a beat, and a lot of world music influences. I'm a happy fucker when I'm driving around sunny LA listening to that shit.

So about old music. I created so many great playlists with WinAmp and now that I have a really solid desktop PC again I have WinAmp again and have access to my entire library of music and remade those playlists. Some of it is timeless, the old country music. But a lot of it has started to sound to me like I'm listening to the mouldrin' past. I have a fucking comprehensive 80s playlist that I used to LOVE listening to while I post processed images from WBB. Which took hours. The other day I was riding down the road and "True" came on by Spandau Ballet. I love(d) that song. Forever. But now that music is starting to sound dead to me.

It even applies to me personally, which is weird. I had a 335 forever. That guitar was the culmination of every guitar choice I ever made. They all led to the 335. I thought I would never get rid of it. It was a perfect example as well. But every guitar I own and have ever owned... I play specific music on. Strats I'm noodling blues licks. Tele I play jazz on mostly. 175 I play jazz on, of course. But the 335 I played Beatles tunes, Steely Dan tunes, Johnny Cash's guitar player, Luther Perkins, Scotty Moore stuff. Because that guitar just made those sounds so perfectly. But that's all I played on that thing. Shocked For like ten fucking years. Same songs. Josie. Rikki Don't Lose That Number. I Walk the Line. Folsom Prison Blues. That's All Right Mama. I Feel Fine.

I mean, it completely killed my musical progress. I was a living dude playing nothing but moldy oldies that yes, meant the world to me, but still.

This is why I ditched Strats 15 or so years ago. And now I don't think I could ever own another 335 unless I was gigging and needed the best most versatile guitar ever made. Because as soon as I picked it up it would be, dern dern dern DERN dern dern dern dern DERN dern dern... I keep my eyes out for the ties that bind, because your mine, I walk the line. dern dern dern dern dern dern.

And I would fade out until death. Now I'm in musical heaven. I have THE best jazz guitar I've ever had. So deeply satisfying and I'm on an endless quest that is ever changing every day as I play around in the entire world of jazz standards. I can pick up my Les Paul, when I want and do classic rock tunes and riffs. Got to be careful though with the repetition and noodling. But it's not like the 335 where it was so just the same old same old. Those guitars ARE incredible. Crack cocaine.

And then I have this Tele which is light as a feather and whenever I need to play that I have it.

What-the-fuck-ever. Wink

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/14/18 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I see on that page that KCRW has an APP. Shocked I'm fucking there. You guys should get it and tell me what you think. Maybe this is all weak beer to you guys. Confused

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/14/18 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
When I saw the thread title I was counting on either you or cthskzfn to come through with the goods, and was getting worried after he let me down, so thanks.

Stunning to learn you are capable of misjudgement.

PostPosted: 02/14/18 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tried to listen to your kcrw, but there was just talk.

i’m finding my music on mixcloud and soundcloud. my favorite dj is chris sakai, a guy out of toronto. his stuff is so dope. if i won the lottery and had a party, i’d fly him from wherever he was to dj my party. now, i’m not all that "hip" to the musical genres - i call this electronic, but he actually calls it house. whatever. a musician friend told me once that i like electronic because i play percussion, and the preciseness (or rather, the impossibility of being off) of electronic rhythms appeals to me. whatever.

my favorite chris sakai offering:
https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-sakai/nye-2017-house-mix-the-cotton-factory/

between 30:30 and 36:00 . . . this is so right in the pocket for me:
https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-sakai/from-chitown2nyc/

PostPosted: 02/14/18 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
tried to listen to your kcrw, but there was just talk.

KCRW App
The ultimate radio app from world-renowned radio station KCRW.

Listen Live - The KCRW App streams all three KCRW channels – On Air, Music and News. Music shows include real-time track lists for each show with the ability to purchase from iTunes.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/14/18 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:

my favorite chris sakai offering:
https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-sakai/nye-2017-house-mix-the-cotton-factory/

Yeah THAT'S THE SHIT, girl! That's what I'm talkin' about!

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/14/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
now, i’m not all that "hip" to the musical genres - i call this electronic, but he actually calls it house. whatever. a musician friend told me once that i like electronic because i play percussion, and the preciseness (or rather, the impossibility of being off) of electronic rhythms appeals to me. whatever.

Whatever, whatever, Mary. Yeah, it's very house like. House is just like the most consistently omni-present musical influence in GOOD pop music over the last 25 years if not even longer. Probably more like since disco. I think from disco came house. Maybe not immediately but building all this compelling (but very static) harmony and really great melodies over that driving steady but not overbearing beat. That came from disco. The melodies or vocals in house music which work over the steady beat have this old dreamy music in the night thing going.

So did I ever share my own Garageband attempt of a foray into making some of this super-relaxing progressive pop style of music here? lol. The story is probably better than the track.

So one night after covering a Sparks game in the summer, I think I just dialed in a quick game recap and hit publish on SPM. Had about a bottle of wine in me to try to come down from the game and all that. It's about 3AM. Maybe even 4. CNBC is droning on low in the background and it was during some instability in the market at that moment in time. Sitting near a window and some cool Pacific air hitting me in the back. I looked down at a new iPad and at the Garageband icon and said, come on, man, Garageband, how hard can it be? Which was the wine talking but it's a lot better than thinking, okay, jumping from this balcony to the next one, how hard can it be? My drunken 3AM instincts have really come a long way.

So I started fucking around with a beat, a bass line, and this sort of Asian sounding piano idea, all with the virtual instruments in Garageband. I'm watching the Nikkei tumble on TV, thus the name and the "vocal" which is me grumbling something about a 'downgrade' I was hearing about on CNBC.

By morning I had the bones of this and over the next few days I put down some guitar. You get to hear my venerable 335 in both clean and NASTY modes. It took I think about 2 weeks to finish it all off. Talk about an obsession that completely consumes your life? Please. That's probably why I've only done it again like twice. But you know I still think this thing sounds pretty good. Considering in all the years it's been up on Youtube only one person has voted on it and that was a DOWN vote. Prick.

How something like this just happens or comes together, it's so weird. It's like, I could never replicate who I was at that moment. That part of who I am or who people are is just freaky. But the guitar solo at the end is something, IMO. That's my Frank Zappa nucleus coming out. 335 really shines and this little hybrid tube amp with effects modeling etc did very well recorded. I miss my old apt. Crying or Very sad I could play a guitar loud through an amp in the city and nobody could even hear it.

Anyway. This sure as hell isn't Chris Sakai but it was the best I could do on a first drunken try with Garageband. (I know it's repetitious, that IS kind of the point in a lot of this music I was trying to ape.) But stick around for the guitar solo at the end, it is a change of direction, but still in the context or mood of the music. Wild solo, but something about it is under the influence. Of wine and and the Staples Center, and the summer night, and a cool ocean breeze moving through the city. Wink I think the word to describe it all would be "chill."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aQkECJa37Ik" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 02/14/18 7:03 pm    ::: Stormy Daniels / Trump Reply Reply with quote

Trump's lawyer has admitted to paying $130,000 to Stormy Daniels to get her to sign a non-disclosure agreement about their affair. Her lawyer says that she is now free to tell her story. And In Touch already has an interview with details. Since I had just heard it, I was not surprised to read that Trump played nikkei avg in their initial hotel room rendezvous to set the mood.

Last edited by tfan on 02/14/18 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/14/18 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

He had to put her in a sleep-like state don't you see! A STUPOR!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/14/18 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks tfan. My nikkei just plummeted.
That track would have gone nicely with a warm night and an old fashioned, until it was ruined for me.

PostPosted: 02/15/18 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i like it, mr. jammer.

and yeah - tfan ruined it for me.

PostPosted: 02/15/18 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
i like it, mr. jammer.

and yeah - tfan ruined it for me.

Well, thank you. (blushing)

I'll tell you what ruined it for me. lol. Whenever I updated the operating system on that old, first or second generation iPad (remember you had to hook them up to a computer and launch iTunes?) all this stuff was wiped out.

Luckily I had used (countless times, actually) the export to email feature in Garageband to send myself the 'finished' tunes as I wanted to listen to them on other devices as I continued the many tweaks during editing. And I'd long finished it so I had a finished product even on YouTube when this happened. But the problem is it took out the project and the individual tracks and so not only couldn't I tweak if I wanted to, I couldn't use what I'd done in different ways, record more guitar or an even better guitar solo, etc. I couldn't completely reimagine this and do something better with it. Like, hello, shorten the damn thing.

AND, the worst thing, is I couldn't go back to those individual tracks and SEE what I'd done to create them.

Anyway, although I have an iPad Pro now with Garageband, I'm going in a different direction. I have a new Mac Book Pro. It is a SCREAMINGLY arrayed machine. I also, don't ask me how, have found myself in possession of a new copy of Logic Pro X, which is the state of the art pro-recording suite for the Mac. I also bought, a while back, a Focusrite mini recording studio interface which will go right into the Mac Book Pro to create what is a pretty professional level home or portable recording rig. I just have to learn how to use it all but the truth is I wouldn't be making, at least not initially, any complicated multi-track projects. I'm going to be actually recording and, for quite a long time, just some jazz guitar.

Oh, as far as the Trump background seduction music thing. I've always hated slick funk by pseudo-jazz artists. People here might have heard me use the phrase I coined, hot-tub jazz. Makes my skin crawl. Even Larry Carlton. I'm painfully aware that someone might listen to this track and say, ah, this is jammer's music, he likes that moody westcoast groove-funk shit that was putting people to sleep way back in the late 70s even. These are the grooves I found and was able to make in the virtual instruments of Garageband. They don't reflect my taste so much as me using what was there to express my taste on one particular occasion. One thing I have heard in the progressive pop stuff like they play on KCRW is some often well-trodden areas in terms of funk beats... but with this really fresh approach. So that's what I was going for.

I have a jazz guitar friend from Pittsburgh. He was always close to this but now he is pretty much the best jazz guitar player on the Pittsburgh jazz scene. And they HAVE a jazz scene there, unlike LA. But his son? lol. He samples and all of that and makes album after album of this kind of music we're talking about. He's amazing and, as much as I love jazz, I like his music better than his dad's. Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: