RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#4 Louisville @ #1 Connecticut 2/12/18 7:00 PM ET ESPN2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Winner?
UConn by 1-9
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
UConn by 10+
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Louisville by 1-9
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 02/13/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think sometimes coaches schedule UConn during the season to get their teams ready for the post-season. Seemingly, even top teams are a bit in shock if they haven't played the Huskies before. Louisville just looked stuck in the first quarter. They didn't move around at all and were easy to guard. In the second half, which I see from the stats, they won, they were able to get easier better looks. Durr could've used the fact that Nurse was face guarding her to help create some sort of screens for her teammates. I hope these two meet again in the post-season. It should be much more competitive.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/13/18 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ewecon wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
UCONN had a twenty point lead on number 4 Louisville at the half. UCONN held the Cards who average almost 80 points a game to just 58 including 36 in the second so still below their average. I do not understand Samuelson and Collier playing 40 minutes, it is seems like Geno unnecessarily is just being a mean spirited, bastard towards his bench with I am right you are wrong attitude. What, Bent and Irwin are now suddenly AA caliber players because they put on a UCONN Jersey - they have Division II talent playing on the elite Divison I team. . Walker played hard, set some nice screens, had two assists and no turnovers. Stevens has 8 points, 4 rebounds and no turnovers in 16 minutes The way he treats Walker and Stevens he should get a haircut like the guy in North Korea. Nuts. And, yes you can argue with success.

I just love how some people think think know more than Geno. There's obviously a reason Geno uses (or doesn't use) the bench the way he does. Stop pretending you know what those reasons are. Do you see them every day in practice? How can you even question his motives for getting the most out of his players?

This is a discussion board, so it's a place for people to discuss stuff. If you think oldfan is wrong, you could say why he is wrong instead of just saying that if Geno does it, it's the right choice by definition. Even Geno himself has admitted making mistakes and I'll bet that Chris Dailey could list lots of Geno's mistakes if she were so inclined. (But she is not.)

Just saying, not agreeing or defending, that ewecon never said Geno shouldn't be questioned or does everything right, just said you don't see practice so you don't know what goes on in his mind. That is a correct statement.

I do chuckle that people are pissy he only played a minimum of bench, but on the other side Walz only went 8 deep. Louisville bench played 35 minutes, with only one player more than 10; UConn bench played 18 minutes, with one more than 10.

If you want to question the playing the starters too much, talk about the blowout games, what did you want him to do vs. the #4 team in the country who beat his team two of the last three quarters and barely lost the second quarter.

If it weren't for that first quarter blitz I thought Louisiville made it a hell of a game.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ewecon wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
UCONN had a twenty point lead on number 4 Louisville at the half. UCONN held the Cards who average almost 80 points a game to just 58 including 36 in the second so still below their average. I do not understand Samuelson and Collier playing 40 minutes, it is seems like Geno unnecessarily is just being a mean spirited, bastard towards his bench with I am right you are wrong attitude. What, Bent and Irwin are now suddenly AA caliber players because they put on a UCONN Jersey - they have Division II talent playing on the elite Divison I team. . Walker played hard, set some nice screens, had two assists and no turnovers. Stevens has 8 points, 4 rebounds and no turnovers in 16 minutes The way he treats Walker and Stevens he should get a haircut like the guy in North Korea. Nuts. And, yes you can argue with success.

I just love how some people think think know more than Geno. There's obviously a reason Geno uses (or doesn't use) the bench the way he does. Stop pretending you know what those reasons are. Do you see them every day in practice? How can you even question his motives for getting the most out of his players?

This is a discussion board, so it's a place for people to discuss stuff. If you think oldfan is wrong, you could say why he is wrong instead of just saying that if Geno does it, it's the right choice by definition. Even Geno himself has admitted making mistakes and I'll bet that Chris Dailey could list lots of Geno's mistakes if she were so inclined. (But she is not.)

Just saying, not agreeing or defending, that ewecon never said Geno shouldn't be questioned or does everything right, just said you don't see practice so you don't know what goes on in his mind. That is a correct statement.

I do chuckle that people are pissy he only played a minimum of bench, but on the other side Walz only went 8 deep. Louisville bench played 35 minutes, with only one player more than 10; UConn bench played 18 minutes, with one more than 10.

If you want to question the playing the starters too much, talk about the blowout games, what did you want him to do vs. the #4 team in the country who beat his team two of the last three quarters and barely lost the second quarter.

If it weren't for that first quarter blitz I thought Louisiville made it a hell of a game.

Fair enough. Maybe I made a bad assumption, but ewecon's tone seemed dismissive of oldfan even questioning Geno's decisions. If we cannot question coaches' decisions, that removes a lot of the meat from our discussions.

I never made a statement on Geno's substitution patterns (or lack thereof), but rather just defended oldfan's right to question them. Oldfan is a devout UConn fan in his own right.

I think what upsets a lot of UConn fans is that Geno has a very high quality group of recruits on the bench and in many games, UConn is far ahead before many of them ever see the floor. Then Geno laments having to play the starters so much because the bench is so bad. Many posters on the Boneyard fear that it might impact recruiting when top 25 prospects see last season's highly ranked recruiting class barely see the floor.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ewecon wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Walker got a total 2 minutes last night, I don't think Geno has ever done this to a former Number 1 player coming out of high school, maybe its because she plays behind LouConn and Pheesa, but I think he could find her minutes if he wanted to, same could be said for Coombs. Bent and Irving are bench players same could be said for Gordon. I'm sure Walker would be getting more time at ND or Texas, I wouldn't be shocked if she was looking for a new home after this season.
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Durr does nothing for her team but seek her own points, no screens no passing no defense.

She shut down Nurse, or was that Geno who shut Nurse down by telling the team to get the ball to LouConn?
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ewecon wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Fair enough. Maybe I made a bad assumption, but ewecon's tone seemed dismissive of oldfan even questioning Geno's decisions. If we cannot question coaches' decisions, that removes a lot of the meat from our discussions.

I never made a statement on Geno's substitution patterns (or lack thereof), but rather just defended oldfan's right to question them. Oldfan is a devout UConn fan in his own right.

I think what upsets a lot of UConn fans is that Geno has a very high quality group of recruits on the bench and in many games, UConn is far ahead before many of them ever see the floor. Then Geno laments having to play the starters so much because the bench is so bad. Many posters on the Boneyard fear that it might impact recruiting when top 25 prospects see last season's highly ranked recruiting class barely see the floor.

You didn't, at all.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
ewecon wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

You didn't, at all.

To each his own. You can form your own judgments of course.

I will prefer not to judge at all.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Durr does nothing for her team but seek her own points, no screens no passing no defense.

She shut down Nurse, or was that Geno who shut Nurse down by telling the team to get the ball to LouConn?

LMAO you must be really sad right now Laughing Laughing

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisville was never in this game. Sorry Notre Dame and Texas played them better. Second half the game was just slowed down while Dangerfield and Nurse sat some on the bench. Uconn bench sucks other than when they put Stevens under the basket. Is that you Walz trying to get some love as your team was embarrassed in the first half.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ewecon wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Walker got a total 2 minutes last night, I don't think Geno has ever done this to a former Number 1 player coming out of high school, maybe its because she plays behind LouConn and Pheesa, but I think he could find her minutes if he wanted to, same could be said for Coombs. Bent and Irving are bench players same could be said for Gordon. I'm sure Walker would be getting more time at ND or Texas, I wouldn't be shocked if she was looking for a new home after this season.

Regarding the bold part, doesn't the player earn her time as opposed to the coach "does that to a player?" His responsibility is to win, and get the most out of his players. He doesn't owe her anything. She chose to come play for him and attend the school.

Just because a player comes in at number one, doesn't mean she is ready to go from day one in college. She may have been the best of a not so stellar overall class. I had read in various places and saw with her USA performances that Walker was not ready to be the next Stewart, Samuelson or anyone else like that.

As a point of comparison, Reliah Boothe is Hoopgurlz #3. Against virtually every ranked team Texas has played, she has played less than 10 minutes per game. She's played 18 twice, against UTSA and Northwestern State. Walker is averaging 16 minutes per game.

As ewecon said, we really don't know how she is performing in practice, if she is getting it quickly or not, if she is hustling, or whatever the coaches see necessary to get her on the court.

If she wants to transfer after one year, sitting behind four Wooden/Naismith finalists plus perhaps the most important player on the team in Dangerfield, then she doesn't have what it takes to make it at UConn. I'm sick of Geno's nonsense too, but I have to admit he gets his players to be darn good college and professional players.

Some people just don't. But I ask you, how many people can you mention that have transferred from UConn and gone on to stellar college and professional careers?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Louisville was never in this game. Sorry Notre Dame and Texas played them better. Second half the game was just slowed down while Dangerfield and Nurse sat some on the bench. Uconn bench sucks other than when they put Stevens under the basket. Is that you Walz trying to get some love as your team was embarrassed in the first half.

Yeah, that number four ranking is just totally humiliating. They lost to 11 to UConn. Who else has come that close? One team, Notre Dame.

Not:
Texas
South Carolina
Stanford
UCLA
Maryland

Absolutely Walz should crawl under a rock and hide after that game Rolling Eyes

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno is not going to wear down his players more than he has to. Walker struggled on her defensive assignment when she came in by not doing a simple box out. Stevens also missed assignments. Since he couldn’t get a full rotation, the game was slowed down as Louisville didn’t really get close enough to be a threat. In fact Durr tossed up a garbage basket with just seconds when everyone else was clearly done. Not sure what happened with Notre Dame but I doubt they will lose the next time they play Louisville but we will see.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/18 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Yeah, that number four ranking is just totally humiliating. They lost to 11 to UConn. Who else has come that close? One team, Notre Dame.

Not:
Texas
South Carolina
Stanford
UCLA
Maryland

Keep rolling your eyes buddy Texas only lost by 4 Laughing Laughing Maybe he doesn't need the rock, he can use his shirts for a tent.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/13/18 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

UConn is probably the healthiest right now that they’ve been all season. Against Notre Dame, Gabby was on the bench with migraines and I believe KLS had ankle issues. Had Louisville played on the Notre Dame date, things may have turned out differently.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/13/18 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Not:
Texas
South Carolina
Stanford
UCLA
Maryland

Keep rolling your eyes buddy Texas only lost by 4 Laughing Laughing Maybe he doesn't need the rock, he can use his shirts for a tent.

Okay I missed one....it happens.

I just don't get all the negativity. It was a reasonably close game, and at least in my opinion should give other teams (and Louisville) more reason to believe they can beat UConn.

This board rarely has anything positive to say it seems any more. It's really getting to be a downer.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/13/18 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ewecon wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Is saying that Geno knows more without further explanation any less of a post than this post that was being referrred to:

Quote:
seems like Geno unnecessarily is just being a mean spirited, bastard towards his bench with I am right you are wrong attitude.

Mean-spirited? How long does a mean-spirited coach keep his/her job? Do alumni keep coming back to see a mean-spirited coach?

There have been discussions here over the last several years about Geno never developing his bench and yet after his starters leave that underutilized bench steps in and wins more titles. How does that jive?

And as far as "I'm right you are wrong" isn't that true for every successful coach? Are coaches supposed to have group discussions with players (& fans?) and come to a consensus over style of play and how many minutes players get? Rolling Eyes

I'm all for critiquing coaches and arguing with success but back it up with something more than he's "a mean-spirited bastard to his bench".

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/18 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It could have been different if they played on the Texas date too which Walz fan seems to have missed but shoulda woulda coulda as someone said. oops my Shades quote didnt load.

Last edited by Nixtreefan on 02/13/18 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Not:
Texas
South Carolina
Stanford
UCLA
Maryland

I just don't get all the negativity. It was a reasonably close game, and at least in my opinion should give other teams (and Louisville) more reason to believe they can beat UConn.

This board rarely has anything positive to say it seems any more. It's really getting to be a downer.

And I only mentioned 2 teams, so you didn't have to take your ass swipes at me.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/13/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Not:
Texas
South Carolina
Stanford
UCLA
Maryland

And I only mentioned 2 teams, so you didn't have to take your ass swipes at me.

What the hell are you talking about? Never mind, this is just freaking ridiculous. You go on Nix, have a blast being negative about everything. I'm out.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 02/13/18 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="dtsnms"][quote="Nixtreefan"][quote="dtsnms"][quote="Nixtreefan"]Louisville was never in this game. Sorry Notre Dame and Texas played them better. Second half the game was just slowed down while Dangerfield and Nurse sat some on the bench. Uconn bench sucks other than when they put Stevens under the basket. Is that you Walz trying to get some love as your team was embarrassed in the first half.[/quote]

Not:
Texas
South Carolina
Stanford
UCLA
Maryland

Absolutely Walz should crawl under a rock and hide after that game Rolling Eyes[/quote]

Keep rolling your eyes buddy Texas only lost by 4 Laughing Laughing Maybe he doesn't need the rock, he can use his shirts for a tent.[/quote]

This board rarely has anything positive to say it seems any more. It's really getting to be a downer.[/quote]

I don’t agree. After 26 to 6 first quarter, the game was over. The other 2 games were close games. The lead was never in doubt. Uconn has been playing pretty well except for an inconsistent bench. The bench actually played well in the game before and I am sure Geno was hoping it would follow through. It jdidn’. but other than working less hard in the second half, it didn’t hurt them.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/13/18 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Because Geno isn't God?

I thought I heard a clap of thunder in my head when I read this! Heresy!

Apparently there was a sign (at a church, maybe?) in Connecticut that read "God is God. God is not Geno and God is not Santa Claus." I think it's in one of the UConn books, though I'm not sure. (Whether this implies Geno is Santa Claus is an exercise for the reader. Wink)

But look on the bright side. It's all AAC for a while, so we know UConn's gonna have to go deep into their bench to keep from getting bored.

(now with spelling variations)
Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/13/18 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

Not:
Texas
South Carolina
Stanford
UCLA
Maryland

Texas was an away game for UConn. Notre Dame was in Hartford and ND had experience playing there. The location of the game at Gampel brings its own form of intimidation that Louisville took time to overcome.

Just curious: how does the fact that two teams got closer than Louisville make your argument any more valid? Especially given that one of those other teams was destroyed by Louisville? They are a legitimate top 5 seed and an 11 point loss against UConn in Gampel is not going to drop them too far. They'll probably even stay a 1 seed in the NCAA seedings because playing UConn actually raises their RPI.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/13/18 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
ewecon wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Regarding the bold part, doesn't the player earn her time as opposed to the coach "does that to a player?" His responsibility is to win, and get the most out of his players. He doesn't owe her anything. She chose to come play for him and attend the school.

Just because a player comes in at number one, doesn't mean she is ready to go from day one in college. She may have been the best of a not so stellar overall class. I had read in various places and saw with her USA performances that Walker was not ready to be the next Stewart, Samuelson or anyone else like that.

As a point of comparison, Reliah Boothe is Hoopgurlz #3. Against virtually every ranked team Texas has played, she has played less than 10 minutes per game. She's played 18 twice, against UTSA and Northwestern State. Walker is averaging 16 minutes per game.

As ewecon said, we really don't know how she is performing in practice, if she is getting it quickly or not, if she is hustling, or whatever the coaches see necessary to get her on the court.

If she wants to transfer after one year, sitting behind four Wooden/Naismith finalists plus perhaps the most important player on the team in Dangerfield, then she doesn't have what it takes to make it at UConn. I'm sick of Geno's nonsense too, but I have to admit he gets his players to be darn good college and professional players.

Some people just don't. But I ask you, how many people can you mention that have transferred from UConn and gone on to stellar college and professional careers?

Last edited by RavenDog on 02/13/18 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/13/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

But I ask you, how many people can you mention that have transferred from UConn and gone on to stellar college and professional careers?

One?

linkster wrote:

There have been discussions here over the last several years about Geno never developing his bench and yet after his starters leave that underutilized bench steps in and wins more titles. How does that jive?

That's not been the historical pattern, if you define "underutilized bench" as players out of the top eight rotation. Underclassmen in the six to eight slots may get into the starting lineup when older players graduate. But the mid to low benchers rarely move up. Geno just keeps recruiting over them.

Irwin, Bent and Gordon will always be benchers and will get recruited over. Coombs has a chance to be the backup PG in coming years, but how many minutes she'll get is unpredictable at this time because no one, including Geno, has seen her in crunch time in competitive games. Practice can only tell one so much, good or bad. Game time is where it counts. (Ask Alan Iverson.)

Walker is one of the weakest HS number ones I've seen on any team. She doesn't have an elite or even very good shooting touch, so she's ineffective as a wing shooter, and she isn't big enough (at maybe 6-0) to be a low paint power or finesse scorer, as Collier and Williams are. I doubt she'll start next season. I'd guess Stevens and Christyn Williams will.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 02/13/18 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ewecon wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Is saying that Geno knows more without further explanation any less of a post than this post that was being referrred to:

Quote:
seems like Geno unnecessarily is just being a mean spirited, bastard towards his bench with I am right you are wrong attitude.

Mean-spirited? How long does a mean-spirited coach keep his/her job? Do alumni keep coming back to see a mean-spirited coach?

And as far as "I'm right you are wrong" isn't that true for every successful coach? Are coaches supposed to have group discussions with players (& fans?) and come to a consensus over style of play and how many minutes players get? Rolling Eyes

I'm all for critiquing coaches and arguing with success but back it up with something more than he's "a mean-spirited bastard to his bench".
The fact that he is always on Stevens, even by his own admission regardless that she carried the team in three games at the end against elite teams; Notre Dame, with both Gabby and Katie on the bench came in and and took over the fourth quarter; same with last night against The Cardinals in the fourth quarter, scored the first six points of the quarter, grabbed 4 rebounds including an offensive rebound, had a steal and basically defensively delivered the paint as but one Cardinal basket was scored inside that quarter and oh, no turnovers but two assists. Then against Texas, she scored 16 points in 20 minutes. If that had been Gabby or Katie, he be singing their praises to the high heaven. Megan Walker played two minutes, had two assists, hustled her ass off and made two devastating picks - in two minutes! He said the reason why he played Gabby and Katie for 40 minutes was simply he thoughtabout taking them out but decided not to, not because the bench sucked in practice or sucked on the court but on a whim he decided not to play them - that is the lack of respect for they met his standards and he dissed them, especially Walker and that is being a bastard. I am a fan of UCONN basketball and have been since the fifties but I am by no mean a sycophant.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 02/13/18 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: