RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jeff Sessions speaks the truth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/18 7:11 pm    ::: Jeff Sessions speaks the truth Reply Reply with quote

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4714112/sessions-sheriffs-conference

Quote:
The office of Sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement

PostPosted: 02/12/18 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm no expert on law enforcement, but I suspect there must have been "Sheriffs" before Anglo-American culture began to take root.

PostPosted: 02/12/18 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
I'm no expert on law enforcement, but I suspect there must have been "Sheriffs" before Anglo-American culture began to take root.

The word comes from shire reeve, an officer of the court. Shires were headed by earls. The shire reeve was above the constable, who was responsible for collecting taxes in his hundred (a piece of land roughly large enough to support 100 households). If you read The Canterbury Tales you may recall Chaucer's description of the reeve as essentially an accountant. The concept of sheriff as law enforcement official developed much later.

PostPosted: 02/12/18 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, he said that today???

Shocked Shocked Shocked

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Wait, he said that today???

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Here is Obama's Assistant Attorney General Bill Baer in 2016.

The public conversation on these matters has been taking place for a long time. To cite just one example, Justice Kennedy of the U.S. Supreme Court spoke on this subject to the Hong Kong High Court in February 1999. There, he described 1000 years of evolution of rule of law and of the Anglo-American common law system. He also discussed how our judges and the private bar are all essential actors in rule of law, just as our Constitution, body of laws, and judicial precedents guide the implementation of rule of law in the United States.

Here is Senator Barack Obama himself in 2006 on the floor of the senate.

The world is watching what we do today in America. They will know what we do here today, and they will treat all of us accordingly in the future—our soldiers, our diplomats, our journalists, anybody who travels beyond these borders. I hope we remember this as we go forward. I sincerely hope we can protect what has been called the "great writ"—a writ that has been in place in the Anglo-American legal system for over 700 years.

The ACLU on Sessions.

ACLU

@ACLU
Yes, our Attorney General just said this. Out loud.

An historian named Tariq Nasheed tweeted this.

Jeff Sessions did a speech and said "the office of Sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement." He wanted to go on record with the ANGLO-AMERICAN description. He went full white supremacy, and every Black and non-white sheriff should be insulted

Randy

PostPosted: 02/18/18 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

The word comes from shire reeve, an officer of the court. Shires were headed by earls. The shire reeve was above the constable, who was responsible for collecting taxes in his hundred (a piece of land roughly large enough to support 100 households). If you read The Canterbury Tales you may recall Chaucer's description of the reeve as essentially an accountant. The concept of sheriff as law enforcement official developed much later.

Ah - just like the Sheriff of Nottingham.......

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/18/18 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe that "Anglo-American" refers to the fact that the US legal system originated in British common law, which was utilized in the colonies before the Revolution and became the basis for US law thereafter. I supposed he could have used "British-American"...would that have been more PC?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/19/18 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I believe that "Anglo-American" refers to the fact that the US legal system originated in British common law, which was utilized in the colonies before the Revolution and became the basis for US law thereafter. I supposed he could have used "British-American"...would that have been more PC?

ditto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: