RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2018 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BelloFratello

PostPosted: 02/11/18 6:07 pm    ::: Kitija Laksa Lottery Pick? Reply Reply with quote

Two years ago Howard Megdal said he would take Kitija Laksa in the lottery, after Breanna Stewart, as a freshman if she could have come out that year.

PostPosted: 02/11/18 10:31 pm    ::: Re: Kitija Laksa Lottery Pick? Reply Reply with quote

BelloFratello wrote:
Two years ago Howard Megdal said he would take Kitija Laksa in the lottery, after Breanna Stewart, as a freshman if she could have come out that year.

Two years ago, Megdal was pretty bad at mock draft because it was his first year covering women’s basketball. He’s gotten a lot better since then. I’m not sure if it’s from experience or he knows where to refer.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/11/18 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Serious question not meant as a jab at either player, just curious what people think.

Why is K. Mitchell a better pro prospect than K. Plum?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/11/18 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Serious question not meant as a jab at either player, just curious what people think.

I would say so. I think Mitchell will be good amongst the pros and hopefully better coaching.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/12/18 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Mitchell is a lot faster and more athletic. She's also likely taller. The team picture of the current Team USA camp makes Plum look tiny.

PostPosted: 02/12/18 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus - we already have seen what Plum can do as a pro, but not Mitchell. Imagination is often better than reality.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/12/18 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Plus - we already have seen what Plum can do as a pro, but not Mitchell. Imagination is often better than reality.

BINGO! Laughing

PostPosted: 02/12/18 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That ball-denial defense on Durr tho.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/12/18 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Mitchell is a lot faster and more athletic. .

she's never looked particularly fast or very athletic to me.

- Amanda Gorman
hangtyme24

PostPosted: 02/12/18 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Mitchell is a lot faster and more athletic. .

she's never looked particularly fast or very athletic to me.

Kelsey Mitchell has never looked fast to you? Wow. I wonder what games you were watching. Every time I watch OSU play Mitchell is always smashing with the ball. Sometimes I think she’s too fast with the ball. But that’s just me...

PostPosted: 02/12/18 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am actually with Myrtle on this one I think she looks like she has gained a few of her daddys pounds.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/12/18 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
I am actually with Myrtle on this one I think she looks like she has gained a few of her daddys pounds.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You are on a roll tonight. No pun intended.

I'm really thinking Nurse will be the steal of the draft.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/12/18 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

I actually agree about Mitchell looking heavier and slower this year. But that doesn't make her as slow as Plum. Also, Mitchell's speed shows up during fastbreaks. If tOSU gets killed off the boards and can't run, like they did against South Florida, then Mitchell's speed isn't as apparent. In the half court, she's mostly a jump-shooter.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People seem to forget that Plum got injured prior to the start of the regular season.She had a great preseason game against Dallas then sprained her ankle during practice.It took Plum some time to heal up and regain her confidence.Plum had a strong finish to the end of her rookie season.

Last 14 games:12.4p/4.8a/38%/42%/92%-Stars record:6-8

Scoring by month:
May-3.6
June-3.6
July-10.7
Aug-11.8
Sep-14.5

Plum will be one of my favorites for MIP along with B.Sykes and N.Howard.

Last edited by zune69 on 02/13/18 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/13/18 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's keep this discussion on track. J-Spoon asked why is K. Mitchell a better pro prospect than Plum? We can only compare at the college level, and there it's pretty obvious the two are similar type players: ball-dominant scoring guards even when filling the PG slot. One player holds the all-time scoring record, the other is trying to catch her. Both are OK but not great at dishing the ball, neither is a defensive stalwart. So, what's the difference in potential? I think Mitchell is a better athlete and a little bigger. You can try to make arguments about decision-making or attitude, but I don't think there's a lot of tangible evidence in that regard -- just a lot of rumors and personal opinions. So, keeping it simple, IMHO Mitchell is a better prospect because she has physical advantages.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Mitchell's balhandling better than Plum's? That ended up being one of the things that held Plum back as a rookie - she couldn't bring the ball up, run the offense, or break someone down off the dribble as easily as in college because her handle wasn't tight enough. Even beyond raw size/speed/strength, having tight control of the ball can be vital, especially for smaller guards.

PostPosted: 02/13/18 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Plum will be one of my favorites for MOP along with B.Sykes and N.Howard.

Did you mean MIP? This will be one of your “on further review” calls. At least two out of three of those names could very well be coming off the bench. Sixth man candidates maybe?

Plum might start while Jefferson is healing, but does that mean Laimbeer might get comfortable with Plum as a starter over Jefferson? Wouldn’t bank on that. Remember, Laimbeer doesn’t like the idea of a three guard system, and he emphasizes defense over offense. If Jefferson becomes completely out of the picture for whatever reason, maybe you would be onto something.

Will ATL be playing mostly smalll ball even though they signed Breland? I have my doubts. Would Sykes start over McCoughtry or Hayes... I seriously have my doubts.

Who knows what’s going on in SEA? They added Paris and Howard and still have Langhorne. Where are you seeing Howard as a starter? Is she going to bump Clark from the SF?

This is a draft prospect thread. Even if it were an awards prediction thread, it’s too early to predict anything very plausible.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/13/18 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Is Mitchell's balhandling better than Plum's?.

Yes. Significantly.
Mitchell is no Jewell Loyd, but she's still quicker than Plum and better at creating her own shot 1-on-1.
And she may not bother playing defense very often, but she is a better defender when she tries.

I think Plum is mostly a one-trick-pony, and Mitchell is a substantially better WNBA prospect.

As an aside, I'm not certain Mitchell or Lexie Brown will end up as true point guards at the next level, and if I'm looking for a 2 guard, I just might consider taking Ariel Atkins instead of either of them. Taller, better defender, and I think somewhat better at creating her own shot without help, which really matters in the WNBA when for the most part these players have to face a single, athletic, defender in their face without all the collapsing and double teams and help defense they see in college. If you can consistently beat your woman for a good shot from a variety of distances and locations, you have a much greater chance of success than if you need help from teammates to get open. I think Atkins is quick, athletic, tall for her position, (assuming she plays the 2 where she belongs and doesn't get forced out of position to the 3) and pretty versatile at doing that.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 02/13/18 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 02/13/18 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Is Mitchell's balhandling better than Plum's? That ended up being one of the things that held Plum back as a rookie - she couldn't bring the ball up, run the offense, or break someone down off the dribble as easily as in college because her handle wasn't tight enough. Even beyond raw size/speed/strength, having tight control of the ball can be vital, especially for smaller guards.

Most rookie PGs struggle with that. They usually get better as the season rolls on, as Plum did.

Lindsay Whalen as a rookie had a ATO only marginally better than Plum's. Everyone remembers her taking the Sun to the finals, but they forget the seemingly endless string of 4 and 5 turnover games she had all season (in all she had 12 games of 4+ turnovers).

PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum had problems with everything lol she shot like 34 percent lol

pilight

PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Plum had problems with everything lol she shot like 34 percent lol

It only took 38% to be ROY...

PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell is for sure more athletic than Plum. I’m not sold that Mitchell is bigger than Plum. I think Plum has a higher basketball IQ. Mitchell has more potential overall, but I do think Plum can be a solid starting PG with hard work. I think the biggest problem for Mitchell at the next level will be limiting her shots.

zune69

PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah @shades,I meant MIP

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/13/18 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

As an aside, I'm not certain Mitchell or Lexie Brown will end up as true point guards at the next level, and if I'm looking for a 2 guard, I just might consider taking Ariel Atkins instead of either of them. Taller, better defender, and I think somewhat better at creating her own shot without help, which really matters in the WNBA when for the most part these players have to face a single, athletic, defender in their face without all the collapsing and double teams and help defense they see in college. If you can consistently beat your woman for a good shot from a variety of distances and locations, you have a much greater chance of success than if you need help from teammates to get open. I think Atkins is quick, athletic, tall for her position, (assuming she plays the 2 where she belongs and doesn't get forced out of position to the 3) and pretty versatile at doing that.

agree. Atkins is a fascinating under the radar prospect with lots of upside.

As for Mitchell, she does have quickness which helps her get out of jams. I'm not totally sure about her ball handling. She does have the bulldog mentality of going right at 'em which serves her well in college. It also serves Taurasi and Angel well in the W so maybe...though she's considerably smaller than either of them. I suspect there will be a steep learning curve for her. If she can negotiate that, then her upside is somewhere about Cappie, which is pretty darn good and she'll have a nice long run.

- Amanda Gorman
icey23

PostPosted: 02/13/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why isn’t last years SEC DPOY Raigyne
Louis not on the mock boards???

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 53 of 93

Jump to: