RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NY Liberty to play in Westchester
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 02/09/18 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a Greyhound bus station a block and a half from the Metro-North train station in White Plains. And there is a route - 3420 - that goes between the Port Authority Building in NYC and White Plains. It's priced $4 to $7 depending on day and time. Unfortunately, it doesn't run a lot between the two or at the right times most of the time. On Friday (no other weekday), they have a NYC->White Plains bus ($6) that leaves at 5:30pm and is scheduled to arrive at 6:40pm. But to use it coming back ($6) you'd have to wait until 11:55pm. Greyhound could also work for one leg of some Sunday games as well as they have the same 5:30pm -> 6:40 bus ($6) and a 12:01pm -> 1:00pm bus ($5).

They say there is free Wi-Fi on all buses (and extra power outlets and extra leg room).

Last edited by tfan on 02/10/18 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/09/18 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It does sound like for a relatively small outlay, the Liberty could garner some much-needed goodwill by running their own shuttle service from Manhattan to Westchester. I doubt they will, but it'd be a nice move.

PostPosted: 02/09/18 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question - Uber? Lyft?

The Storm had a promotion last year for a free Uber to/from a game. It would have cost $23 (round trip), but I only live three miles away, so it seemed crazy expensive.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/09/18 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question - Uber? Lyft?

30 miles? With tolls? Possibly through Manhattan traffic? Pretty sure you'd have to include your firstborn child as a tip. You can really only do that once unless you have multiple firstborn children. Running the numbers through Lyft gave me $52 for a ride a few minutes ago, though I'd have to recalculate during rush hour and postgame.

Unless you meant from the station to the arena, but that really doesn't mitigate the travel issues much. (But thank you for reminding me to wonder how less mobile fans would get from the transit center to the arena. My mom has a cane; one of my section neighbors is in a wheelchair and her wife has a cane. Somehow I doubt that walk is terribly good for them.) (Though there appears to be a bus stop somewhat near the arena... but waiting who knows how long for a bus to go two stops seems... I dunno. Somewhere between counterproductive and "everyone will hate you for doing and undoing the wheelchair stuff twice in three stops".)

(now with spelling variations)
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/10/18 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It does sound like for a relatively small outlay, the Liberty could garner some much-needed goodwill by running their own shuttle service from Manhattan to Westchester. I doubt they will, but it'd be a nice move.

Think of the numbers. Suppose 1000 fans wanted to take the shuttle service for a weekend game. That would cost more than "a relatively small outlay" and would be a logistical nightmare. And the inevitable mess--suppose you have to wait to be in bus #17--would quickly destroy any "much-needed goodwill."

This ain't happening.

PostPosted: 02/10/18 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't yet expressed any personal feelings on the move to WCC, but it's good news for me if I ever want to go to a Liberty game.

I live about equidistant from MSG and the Mohegan Sun. The drive to Mohegan can be done on highway and back roads and the parking is free. I have never gone to a Liberty game at MSG because the thought of driving through the traffic and potholes in Yonkers, the Bronx and Manhattan, and paying your first born greatgrandchild for parking, is beyond horrifying.

The drive to the WCC is an easy hour, and I go to the White Plains area frequently. So, I'd probably go to a few games just to see Bria Hartley. I used to drive twice as far to see her in high school in North Babylon, NY. Great pizza at Mangia's.

I once drove to North Babylon to see Bria play in an afternoon game and then drove to Storrs to watch UConn and then back home -- about 350 miles of driving to see two games. And Bria was at the UConn game, too.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/10/18 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conclusion: well as being bad for most of the fans, this move is also bad for the environment

PostPosted: 02/10/18 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pasteurize wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pasteurize wrote:

Coming home is where it really hurts. According to the schedule on the mta website, there are trains that leave White Plains, heading towards Manhattan at 9:01 PM and 10:05 PM on weekdays. I won't be making the 9:01 PM train unless I want to miss the end of the game, so that would leave me waiting around a good amount of time for the 10:05 PM train.

Bus?

WCC website says:

"The following Bee Line Buses make stops at the White Plains Transportation Center: 1W, 3, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 20, 21, 27, 40, 41, 60, 63, 77, 92, TZX, IBus, TLC, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H"

There are Bee Line bus routes between the White Plains TransCenter and the Bronx and Manhattan. Maybe one would work.

This map shows the location of the the TransCenter (1), train station (2) and Westchester County Center (3).

Thanks for that. I can't be positive, but I don't believe the bus will be any better. According to Google maps, the bus route will take 2+ hours just to get to midtown Manhattan. And it'd require taking two separate buses. I think there are more options during rush hour, but heading towards Manhattan at around 9 or 10 PM is difficult. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

This situation undoubtedly presents an unpalatable commute for NYC fans no matter whether it's train, car or bus. I was just trying to link to bus possibilities even if none may end up being convenient. I haven't studied the bus schedules and have no reason to, but I thought perhaps the Bronx bus route might stop near a subway station in the Bronx.

If you live just about anywhere in the Bronx, Metro North from Fordham will probably be your best option. I know it's mine, and it's about a half hour bus ride to get to Metro North. For those who live further south or along the East side train lines, it's a short trip to 125th for a connecting Metro North. A bus from the Bronx by comparison isn't even an option. I've done it. It takes forever. OTOH, Metro North to the game isn't particularly a bother from the Bronx. It's a lot cheaper than coming from Manhattan and the trains run frequently enough to White Plains that it's workable.

The main logistical problem is that trains from White Plains to NYC leave at 9:09 and 10:09. So if a game ends right at 9 or shortly thereafter, you're basically stuck with a wait of an hour. Either inserting a 9:39 train or moving the schedule back by about 20 minutes would make the commute back much more realistic for people. But either way, I don't foresee many (if any) people being willing to take a bus from White Plains to the city.

But facing the obvious facts, if you're traveling to midtown Manhattan and you miss a train, you're stuck with a two-hour plus wait time to get home. If you're going to Brooklyn it's an hour and a half minimum if you even catch the train upon leaving the game. If you're coming from Queens you're well over two hours.

I feel for and understand the perspectives of those who are saying that costs and/or travel time make season tickets a prohibitive option. Right now I'm even on the fence and the trip for me is easier than for others. I'll be faced with a lot of weeknights before work compared to prior years. If the 10:09 train is my option, that means I'll be home 11-11:15 with a 5:15 am wake up. In return I'm getting a second-rate atmosphere along with the feeling that the long-term future of the team is still up in the air. It's not, in my estimation, a favorable trade-off.

PostPosted: 02/10/18 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Bob Lamm brought up the overall logistics as being unworkable, but I can imagine this being suggested as a replacement perk for Delta Club (the big-money season subscribers, who are losing a lot of the comforts of their big-money season tickets).

I have spent more time than I really cared to looking at maps and transit routes to figure out the logistics of this. I know buses. I like buses, when I have the luxury of time. I've used Bee-Line. I've been through the TransCenter and changed buses there. I know *how* to do this. I just don't know if I *can* do this more than six times a year.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/10/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah - looking up schedules, as some of us did, was an attempt to be helpful, but I'd never ride a bus, train or even drive for 2 hours+ both ways to get to a Dream game. TV is too good these days, and the game experience is not so compelling as to make it worth hours of aggravation and/or wasted time not to mention the additional expense. That feeling would be more than compounded with the ownership NY fans are stuck with. In a lot of ways, the NY situation now is a like that of a team leaving town for another city. My heart goes out to you NY fans.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/10/18 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Bob Lamm brought up the overall logistics as being unworkable, but I can imagine this being suggested as a replacement perk for Delta Club (the big-money season subscribers, who are losing a lot of the comforts of their big-money season tickets).

I always wondered how many of those big money folks bought as part of a Knicks package or bought for business reasons. I sat next to a guy in LA whose 3 awesome seats were used to gift to clients for a game. A game at MSG and dinner nearby is definitely not going to shift to WCC.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/10/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I always wondered how many of those big money folks bought as part of a Knicks package or bought for business reasons. I sat next to a guy in LA whose 3 awesome seats were used to gift to clients for a game. A game at MSG and dinner nearby is definitely not going to shift to WCC.

The tax "reform" bill has made it so those tickets would no longer be deductible which will impact all pro sports teams. I also wonder if the lower corporate tax rates in general will make corporations less likely to spend money on sports teams (and anything else) because a dollar saved is no 79 cents to the bottom line, not 65 cents. I suppose that might be better topic for Area 51.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 02/10/18 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im curious as to the Westchester Liberty season ticket prices,
and how MSG will handle refunds to STH bought thinking
the season would be at MSG.

Many of us are still paying on credit cards

Oh now the logistics fun begins !

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/10/18 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
[Bob Lamm brought up the overall logistics as being unworkable, but I can imagine this being suggested as a replacement perk for Delta Club (the big-money season subscribers, who are losing a lot of the comforts of their big-money season tickets).

I hadn't considered this. You're right: it could be offered by Hideous Lord Jimmy's staff as a replacement perk for Delta Club members, depending on how many of them there are and how many will want to renew (given the Westchester location). But I believe it would be unworkable for MSG to offer shuttle buses for lots of Liberty fans or even for most season-ticket holders.

PostPosted: 02/10/18 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
[I always wondered how many of those big money folks bought as part of a Knicks package or bought for business reasons. I sat next to a guy in LA whose 3 awesome seats were used to gift to clients for a game. A game at MSG and dinner nearby is definitely not going to shift to WCC.

Agreed.

PostPosted: 02/10/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Im curious as to the Westchester Liberty season ticket prices,
and how MSG will handle refunds to STH bought thinking
the season would be at MSG.

Many of us are still paying on credit cards

Oh now the logistics fun begins !

Yeah, one does wonder if the "Always Loyal" monthly payment, automatic renewal program, was actually not offered in good faith- if this was in the cards even before any public announcements were made. These will certainly be interesting conversations with credit card companies.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/11/18 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I watched the Westchester Knicks game yesterday via Facebook Live just to see what the place looked like. The team drew 2,100 for the game. It looked terrible. Poor atmosphere, crowd wasn't into the game. It basically looks like the gym of a community college. I'm sure the Liberty fans will be more into the game and I have to wonder what other pieces Dolan will include at WCC. Even if the Liberty sell out the place, I just don't see this working out in the long run.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/11/18 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A different question: Will the media coverage of the team change with the move?

I have no idea how much coverage the Liberty received before, but will the move have any impact?

PostPosted: 02/11/18 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will the new NIKE uniforms for the Westchester Liberty include a "FOR SALE"
banner on the back

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/11/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I have no idea how much coverage the Liberty received before, but will the move have any impact?

Local media coverage of the Liberty has been minimal. This move can only hurt. Playing in the Westchester County Center, where the Westchester Knicks of the D-league play, makes the Liberty and the WNBA look minor league. What's happening isn't only bad for the Liberty franchise and Liberty fans; it hurts the WNBA and women's basketball in general.

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Talk to Doug Feinberg. I'm pretty sure he *is* the media coverage.

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Attended my first Nets game in Brooklyn last night and thought a lot about the Liberty. Barclays is one heck of an arena - I had a direct, 45 minute subway commute and the experience is high quality, very “New York” vibe and grade A facilities. Much prefer going there than MSG. Felt easy to get in and out and it was a very family-friendly, diverse crowd.

I’m going to remain confident that come next year, a local “Force 10” type group of wealthy businesswoman with entrenched backgrounds in sports themselves will step up and buy the Liberty and place them in Barclays. Feels
Like the right thing to do 😀👍🏻

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Attended my first Nets game in Brooklyn last night and thought a lot about the Liberty. Barclays is one heck of an arena - I had a direct, 45 minute subway commute and the experience is high quality, very “New York” vibe and grade A facilities. Much prefer going there than MSG. Felt easy to get in and out and it was a very family-friendly, diverse crowd.

I’m going to remain confident that come next year, a local “Force 10” type group of wealthy businesswoman with entrenched backgrounds in sports themselves will step up and buy the Liberty and place them in Barclays. Feels
Like the right thing to do 😀👍🏻

toad455

PostPosted: 02/11/18 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's what I'm hoping for. New owners put the team at the Barclays. Second option, Nassau Coliseum as I think the rent would be cheaper due to lack of events at the moment. Third is Prudential Center in Newark. Granted the Liberty didn't draw well there, 6-7k there is still better than whatever they'll get at WCC.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/11/18 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Will the new NIKE uniforms for the Westchester Liberty include a "FOR SALE"
banner on the back

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: