RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Georgia Tech @ #5 Notre Dame 1 PM ET
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 10:48 am    ::: Georgia Tech @ #5 Notre Dame 1 PM ET Reply Reply with quote

Video: http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3252339/georgia-tech-vs-5-notre-dame-w-basketball

Live Stats: http://www.und.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wbaskbl.html?event=1575228&school=nd&sport=wbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

It's the annual Pink Zone game, so it the uniforms should be 'interesting'.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game notes for Georgia Tech and Notre Dame:

Georgia Tech: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nd/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/release/release_20180210aaa_geot.pdf

Notre Dame: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nd/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/release/release_20180210aaa.pdf

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND 12-9 at the first media break.

Last edited by Fighting Artichoke on 02/11/18 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game is blacked out one ESPN3 for me. Being in the SB media market sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it available on your RSN?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Game is blacked out one ESPN3 for me. Being in the SB media market sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

Try Comcast 101.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

21-17 after 1 quarter.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Is it available on your RSN?

Nope. I get FSChicago and they are showing something else. Blacked out on every other station or I'm not subscribed to them.

Sad

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Try Comcast 101.

I have DTV. Thanks for the suggestions!

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND with a tiny 29-28 lead at the 2nd quarter media break. ND with 13 turnovers.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/11/18 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND's free throw shooting sucks anymore. 1-6 is inexcusable.

And 15 turnovers in a half is terrible. Four and five from Ogunbowale and Young respectively!

GT's bench has more points than the starters.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

And 15 turnovers in a half is terrible. Four and five from Ogunbowale and Young respectively!

39=39 at the half.

Arike is playing heri ball. It hurts to watch teammates wide open while Arike gets called for a charge driving and ignoring teammates.

Jackie has been really good. One of her turnovers was when she got a steal and got mobbed by 3 Tech players and the refs called a jump ball (possession to Tech). Jackie has 3 steals.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

39=39 at the half.

Arike is playing heri ball. It hurts to watch teammates wide open while Arike gets called for a charge driving and ignoring teammates.

Jackie has been really good. One of her turnovers was when she got a steal and got mobbed by 3 Tech players and the refs called a jump ball (possession to Tech). Jackie has 3 steals.

It amazes that Muffet is OK with that. Considering how often it happens though, she must be. Shocked Rolling Eyes

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

heri ball

???

Is that a malapropism or a neologism, professor?
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

heri ball

???

Is that a malapropism or a neologism, professor?

Would you settle for a typo?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND 64-54 entering the 4th quarter.

Tech playing very rough. The announcers suggesting that since the Irish cannot foul (having so few bodies), GT's strategy is to play rough and dare ND to fight back. So far Irish are not biting, but still have more fouls than they usually do.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND 79-56 at the 4th quarter media timeout.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GT's strategy ( not just in this game) is to hack, push, grab, and otherwise foul constantly counting on (1) the refs might call a lot, but they can't call them all, and (2) they have more warm bodies than their opponents so if they do call a lot they have more subs available.

It worked for almost three quarters today. But it sure makes for ugly basketball. Does anyone enjoy watching this crap?

Joseph has coached this way for years.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugly but ND wins 85-69.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/11/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding Arike, I think Muffet has tried to reign her in at times, but unfortunately with the roster situation you have to take the bitter with the sweet.

I love watching Jackie play, she's long, athletic, defends and is a good passer.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/11/18 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Muffett is happy the way it is. Arike is a great disruptive 1-on-1 player and is leading or second in the ACC in scoring. She can create her own shot, can score inside, outside, and on the break, draws fouls, and disrupts defenses.

I don't understand the complaints.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I think Muffett is happy the way it is. Arike is a great disruptive 1-on-1 player and is leading or second in the ACC in scoring. She can create her own shot, can score inside, outside, and on the break, draws fouls, and disrupts defenses.

Sometimes she forces her own shot when there are other better ones available if she would only pass. She has gotten a lot better this year, but she still forces some pretty low quality shots. Today ND had a fast break and instead of passing out to Marina for the open 3 or to another ND player in the lane, Arike charged into the defender and got a turnover. A few other times she forced a drive and fell out of bounds and Tech scored on a short-handed Irish team because Arike sat on the ground ()looking for a call).

Muffet likes aggressive offense so she obviously likes many aspects of Arike's play, but sometimes that hero ball mode Arike gets into really hurts ND. Didn't that happen in the UConn game this year?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/11/18 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Regarding Arike, I think Muffet has tried to reign her in at times, but unfortunately with the roster situation you have to take the bitter with the sweet.

I love watching Jackie play, she's long, athletic, defends and is a good passer.

I love Jackie. She is only a sophomore. Very Happy Can't wait to see if she works on her outside shot this off season. Last off season she worked on her strength and that paid dividends.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/12/18 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Sometimes she forces her own shot when there are other better ones available if she would only pass. She has gotten a lot better this year, but she still forces some pretty low quality shots. Today ND had a fast break and instead of passing out to Marina for the open 3 or to another ND player in the lane, Arike charged into the defender and got a turnover. A few other times she forced a drive and fell out of bounds and Tech scored on a short-handed Irish team because Arike sat on the ground ()looking for a call).

Muffet likes aggressive offense so she obviously likes many aspects of Arike's play, but sometimes that hero ball mode Arike gets into really hurts ND. Didn't that happen in the UConn game this year?

I think there is a drive with 3 minutes left in the 3rd that probably illustrates our difference of view.

Arike takes the ball end to end, the GT defense is back but not really organized yet, and she takes the ball right to the basket. It's kind of out of control and not a very good shot but she gets fouled and goes to the line for two. I suspect you think she should have brought it out or passed. I don't have any problem with the aggressive drive and drawing the foul.

And I think those drives are intentional, not as undisciplined as they might sometimes appear. In contrast, at 1:40 of the 3rd, she takes the ball end to end on a true fast break and at the last moment makes a perfect pass to Jackie on her left for the layup. She had space; I think a truly selfish undisciplined player would have taken that shot herself without looking for Young.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/13/18 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I think there is a drive with 3 minutes left in the 3rd that probably illustrates our difference of view.

Arike takes the ball end to end, the GT defense is back but not really organized yet, and she takes the ball right to the basket. It's kind of out of control and not a very good shot but she gets fouled and goes to the line for two. I suspect you think she should have brought it out or passed. I don't have any problem with the aggressive drive and drawing the foul.

And I think those drives are intentional, not as undisciplined as they might sometimes appear. In contrast, at 1:40 of the 3rd, she takes the ball end to end on a true fast break and at the last moment makes a perfect pass to Jackie on her left for the layup. She had space; I think a truly selfish undisciplined player would have taken that shot herself without looking for Young.

I think it's somewhere between the two of you. I have noticed that Ogunbowale has gotten a lot better at passing instead of driving, but there are still too many times that she seems to force it on her own.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: