RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Miscellany 2/4-2/10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/05/18 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA 44 USC 33 Halftime

Sometimes it is hard to explain a game with just a few statistics, sometimes it is easy.

Monique Billings (UCLA) 12 points 9 rebounds, 1 foul

Kristen Simon (USC) 0 points, 2 rebounds, 2 fouls

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/05/18 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA 61 USC 56 End of 3rd

Extending the statistical comparison, USC caught up in the third because of better interior play:

Billings 1 point, 0 rebounds
Simon 7 points, 3 rebounds

Unfortunately for USC Simons now has 4 fouls.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/05/18 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC came nearly all the way back, getting to 69-68 with 4:41 to go, but that was it for the Trojans. UCLA went on a 10-0 run and wins 84-70.

UCLA, Stanford and Oregon all tied atop Pac 12. Next week the So Cal schools host the Arizona schools, the Oregon schools go up to the Washington schools and Norcal hosts the Mountain schools.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 02/06/18 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
USC came nearly all the way back, getting to 69-68 with 4:41 to go, but that was it for the Trojans. UCLA went on a 10-0 run and wins 84-70.

Here's a couple observations about last night's game....

SC's short bench was a factor. UCLA was able to sub freely and allow their starters to have a breather, while SC had little options and looked tired. Once Simon and Adams got in foul trouble, it was over.

SC is a talented team. However watching the attitudes of Simon and Mazyck spoke to a lot of shortcomings. Simon has good skills but her attitude is pretty F'd up. It was like watching a high school kid. She complains, whines and if you even look at her, she wants a foul. UCLA got in her head and she was done I'm so used to the opposite, it was entertaining to watch). I was baffled why she even put herself in the position to commit that last foul, she had no chance to get that ball, and then had a serious attitude when it was called. She clearly expected that several fouls would go uncalled and she pushed the envelope a little too far.

She did they same thing when they played at Pauley and her lack of enthusiasm was so apparent. Watching the teams come out of the locker room at half was interesting.... While UCLA was doing the usual drills, Simon, Adams, and a couple other Trojans just chilled on the bench for several minutes. I was like Confused Shouldn't they pretend to care.

Mazyck, also a skilled player, but her attitude was not much better. She stared down the officials every time they called a foul on her. And bless the refs, they looked away every time.

I don't know that Mark Trakh was the best choice for this team. And I know quite of few SC fans who are sure he was not. Time will tell though.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I watched the George Mason-St. Joe's game Sunday (it was one of the offerings on our Comcast channel). Mason won it, 65-57, but I was most interested in watching Natalie Butler. She will not likely go pro (apparently her interest is in her education, which was why she transferred to GM) unless she plays overseas for tuition money, but she's an interesting player to watch. I can see why she didn't fit in at UConn, but at Mason, she's the kind of player that makes everyone around her better. Not every team has one of those, but they're nice to have. She's unselfish, shares the ball well, and sees the floor very well, all attributes usually found in a PG.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
The Wolverines continue their usual February fade dammit, losing at Rutgers 63-56. 26 turnovers!

So disappointed that Flaherty had 10 turnovers! Rutgers does that.

I'm quietly seething, but that's partially because of the schedule conflict- we would have hiked to Piscataway if it weren't a Big East day.

*I* need to hike to Piscataway once. Every time I see C-Viv on TV now, it really appears that she's morphing into Michael Jackson. Shocked Is that for real???

PostPosted: 02/08/18 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VA Tech beat UNC, 90-74 last night...and did it *without* Chanette Hicks. Not too shabby!

PostPosted: 02/08/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In miscellaneous game results, Duke beat Wake 59-51. The game was pretty close until the end. 1st game without Gorecki, knowing she's gone for the season.

~rAf
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/08/18 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gonzaga hosts Pacific tonight. Should they down the Tigers, I believe the Zags clinch a share of the WCC regular season title.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/08/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Gonzaga hosts Pacific tonight. Should they down the Tigers, I believe the Zags clinch a share of the WCC regular season title.

There are actually 6 games to play and they only have a 4 game lead, so unless both St Mary's and BYU both lose they will have to wait until Saturday against St Mary's.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/08/18 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks. I miscounted and thought there were but 5 games left.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/08/18 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DawnCocks looking lackluster against Bama. 3 minutes left and they only lead by 8.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/08/18 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ole Miss trails 13-48 at the half in College Station. Chennedy Carter has 20 for Aggies.

Insell JR thing isn't working.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/08/18 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina ends up winning by 13.

HollyVols lead Arkansas by 7 at the half.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/08/18 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn continues to struggle on the road. They lead 12-11 Arkansas by 3, 81-78 with 2 minutes left.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/08/18 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

13 Sec left, Ark has the ball down by 3, dribbles into a double team anf turns it over. Tenn wins by 5 as Davis has 33 on 13-18 shooting.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/09/18 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis had a monster game, and Jackson played very well also. The rest of the team, not so much.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/09/18 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Zags ended up rolling Pacific getting another double double from Jill Barta. With 5 regular season games left in the WCC, the undefeated Zags have a 4 game lead over second place BYU. The Zags also hit 20 wins on the season.

The Bulldogs inside game is formidable with Barta and Zykera Rice able to find room to operate down low. But last night they went 7-14 from beyond the arc. The long ball hasn't always been a reliable part of the Gonzaga game this season.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/09/18 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems James Madison doesn't like losing in the Colonial. Coming off their first conference loss JMU scored the first 18 points against Northeastern.

JMU 18-0 late in the 1st

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/09/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

James Madison looks like they will take back first place in the Colonial.

James Madison 60-32 late in the 3rd

Elon 44 Drexel 30 end of 3rd

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/09/18 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU beat Northeastern 72-43 at the Convo Center tonight. It would have been worse but Coach O took mercy on the Huskies and played the end of the bench for most of the 4th Q which kept the score from being worse than it was. The first quarter was something between amazing and hilarious for JMU fans as they didn't allow Northeastern a made FG until 1:54 remaining in the quarter and their only score up until then was a couple of free throws. Even when the Huskies did get a clear shot, the ball wouldn't go in, but most of the time the JMU defense wouldn't even let that happen. Smothering defense was the key for the whole game. Northeastern got a little chippy in the third period, which earned one of their players a T, and no argument from their coach either. I have no idea what happened as it was on the other end of the court, but the ref called it immediately.

PostPosted: 02/10/18 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creighton 55 Providence 53 with 6:34 left in the game

A loss by the Blue Jays would be devastating to their NCAA tournament hopes.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/10/18 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creighton 79 Providence 79 End of 1st OT

Agnew for Creighton has 33. She hit a 3 wit 13 seconds left in the first OT to tie the game.at 79.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/10/18 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creighton wins 87-84

Providence can't get off a final shot with 15 seconds left and a chance to tie.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercer Bears escape a determined Samford for their 20th consecutive win, 48-45. This breaks a string of 17 straight wins by double digits.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: