RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Phoenix Mercury 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45946



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/08/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
would Phoenix offer Bone a high salary?


Obviously not.... you got table scraps for her.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 16759
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/18 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Third, while her offense and shot blocking/changing are MVP worthy, why does the 6'9" player get a pass on rebounding?


ClayK wrote:
As for No. 3, Griner has never been a particularly good rebounder, nor is she likely to become one. But the perfect player has yet to be born, so I think every team in the league would gladly put Griner at center, and deal with the rebounding issue.


Griner has never been a dominant rebounder or at least as dominating as one would expect for her size. Agreed.

But consider this...in her five-year career, she has blocked 487 shots, for an average of 3.3 blocks per game. She already ranks 8th in WNBA history in total blocks. By comparison, Syliva Fowles has blocked 532 shots in 272 career games; Griner has blocked 487 shots in 147 games.

If you are blocking that many shots, you very likely are not getting those rebounds (ball goes out of play, ball goes to another player). And for those 3.3 blocked shots per game, there are an immeasurable number of shots that she alters just be her mere presence in the paint or the threat of her blocking an opposing player's shot.

Last year, she put up 21.9 ppg, 7.6 rpg, and 2.5 bpg, while shooting 57.7 percent from the floor and 81.2 percent from the line. Sure, she may not be averaging 10 rpg like Tina Charles or Cheryl Ford, but she is developing into a dominant force on both ends of the floor.

And again, the number of her blocked and altered shots is incredibly impressive. If she is preventing the shot from reaching the rim or forcing the opponents to not take so many shots or take really awful ones because of her presence, does she also have to be the player to get those rebounds as well?

Just some food for thought.


mb1



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 4660
Location: Scottsdale,AZ,USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/09/18 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very good points.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
mb1 wrote:
Third, while her offense and shot blocking/changing are MVP worthy, why does the 6'9" player get a pass on rebounding?


ClayK wrote:
As for No. 3, Griner has never been a particularly good rebounder, nor is she likely to become one. But the perfect player has yet to be born, so I think every team in the league would gladly put Griner at center, and deal with the rebounding issue.


Griner has never been a dominant rebounder or at least as dominating as one would expect for her size. Agreed.

But consider this...in her five-year career, she has blocked 487 shots, for an average of 3.3 blocks per game. She already ranks 8th in WNBA history in total blocks. By comparison, Syliva Fowles has blocked 532 shots in 272 career games; Griner has blocked 487 shots in 147 games.

If you are blocking that many shots, you very likely are not getting those rebounds (ball goes out of play, ball goes to another player). And for those 3.3 blocked shots per game, there are an immeasurable number of shots that she alters just be her mere presence in the paint or the threat of her blocking an opposing player's shot.

Last year, she put up 21.9 ppg, 7.6 rpg, and 2.5 bpg, while shooting 57.7 percent from the floor and 81.2 percent from the line. Sure, she may not be averaging 10 rpg like Tina Charles or Cheryl Ford, but she is developing into a dominant force on both ends of the floor.

And again, the number of her blocked and altered shots is incredibly impressive. If she is preventing the shot from reaching the rim or forcing the opponents to not take so many shots or take really awful ones because of her presence, does she also have to be the player to get those rebounds as well?

Just some food for thought.



_________________
I've got a crush on Rebby!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
mb1



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 4660
Location: Scottsdale,AZ,USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/18 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2018/02/01/phoenix-mercury-bolster-defense-signing-power-forward-sancho-lyttle/1083861001/


Quote:
Bonner is a designated core player so the Mercury have exclusive negotiating rights with her. "We fully intend to have her back with us," Pitman said. "If we add her back along with Sancho, we can compete with anybody."


Others under contract with the Mercury for 2018 are Griner, Taurasi, Leilani Mitchell, Danielle Robinson, Stephanie Talbot and Alexis Prince. Emma Cannon, Yvonne Turner and Cayla George are reserved players, also under exclusive negotiating rights with the Mercury.

PItman said signing Lyttle does not necessarily prelude the Mercury from re-signing Camille Little, who started next to Griner in 2017. "We will have another big on our roster," Pitman said.

Pitman also expects to add a player who will make the team with the No. 8 pick in the first round of the WNBA draft in April.


Diana planned to have Maya replace her in Russia due to Penny's pregnancy. Injuries sped up the timetable, yet she should be rested.

Griner took it to a new level last season.

Bonner will return and not sit out or demand a trade (confirmed by a trusted, reliable source). This was key to playoff success.

Lyttle was added, Little returns.

Happy Cayla landed in a good spot. Bone was given away (along with her salary).

Petrovic says unfortunately not this season. Xargay is likely the same.

Bass doesn't know if/where she may land. *edit: Misty played well in Australia after having her son and hopes to play in the WNBA again.

2018 Phoenix Mercury Pre-Season Roster:

PG: MITCHELL, ROBINSON, D
SG: TAURASI, TURNER
SF: BONNER, TALBOT, PRINCE
PF: LITTLE, CANNON
C: GRINER, LYTTLE

ROBINSON, A
DRAFT PICK



_________________
I've got a crush on Rebby!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!


Last edited by mb1 on 02/10/18 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7530



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/18 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:

Grinder took it to a new level last season.

Bonner will return and not sit out or demand a trade (confirmed by a trusted, reliable source). This was key to playoff success.

Lyttle was added, Little returns.


I expect Griner to be in MVP talk all year. Little may not have put up great numbers but she also knew how to share the floor with Griner.

Everyone seems to expect that both Bonner and Dupree will play for the teams that cored them. I'm hoping they can steal some time together.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 45946



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/16/18 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote




_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 15021



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/16/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Petrovic and I doubt Xargay comes over either.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mb1



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 4660
Location: Scottsdale,AZ,USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/16/18 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Petrovic says unfortunately not this season. Xargay is likely the same.


This quote from above was in reference to the tweet response.[/quote]



_________________
I've got a crush on Rebby!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14050
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:



Classy jumper? Shocked



Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin