RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/06/18 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm's two best players are still young and on the rise.

Stewart will be a legit MVP candidate, I wouldn't write them off so fast.

I'm not saying Championship contender, but I will guess more wins than last season and a playoff spot.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/06/18 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I'm not saying Championship contender, but I will guess more wins than last season and a playoff spot.

You should line this team up vs each team in the league and tell me who they will finish in front of? Where or what player addition makes you think they will win more games than last year? Im just curious if you don't mind?

PostPosted: 02/06/18 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

You should line this team up vs each team in the league and tell me who they will finish in front of? Where or what player addition makes you think they will win more games than last year? Im just curious if you don't mind?

OK I'm a little more "ify" than before

I think the biggest additions will be new coach, development of Stewart and Loyd, whatever the #5 pick becomes, and Paris vs Swords.

Yes a lot of other teams have improved more but

Vegas still has to make it happen, I think the biggest addition there will be Laimbeer. The #1 pick will help but I'm getting a little more gun shy on saying Wilson will be an instant impact player, good yes, great the jury is out. Bone, Swords, Young, yes helpful but nothing really overwhelming. They could be better than Seattle but I wouldn't count on it.

Indy, still need to see which way they go, acquire Bonner and other vets or rebuild. Either way Seattle should be better, but might not be.

Chicago, not convinced yet. They add Coates who has never played in the W and Faulkner a decent back up PG, both returning to play from serious injuries. They lose Breland and probably Cappie. What happens with 3 and 4 could tilt the outcome (If they Banham, Tuck themselves while Jones and Williams get by them or Akhator themselves while they let Sykes and K. Davis go by, who knows), but I still see it as a coin toss and favor Seattle.

None of the teams above have a player anywhere near as good as Stewart. Sometimes a super star makes the difference, look at how well NY does in the regular season with just Tina, top 3 record the last three years, right there with LA and Minny in total wins. (We just ruin it when we get to the playoffs because well we just do). And yes I do think Stewart will be that good this year.

Atl- has made good moves and has always competed with Angel in the house. But new coach, and a lot of young players that still need to prove they are able to take it to the next level. Atl has more talent on paper but I still think either team can win against each other on most nights.

NY- has yet to make a move, The team has been a top team the last three years regular season, and still could be, but new coach and uncertainty could make them more vulnerable in the regular season. Give NY the edge but not a big one.

Dallas- Cambage will be a huge addition but this is another team (to a lesser extent than Vegas and Chicago) that still has to prove it. I'm not ready to move them to the top yet. I will give you that when you line them up with Seattle roster to roster Dallas should be the better team. But I also won't be shocked at all if they end up splitting their season with the Storm.

Washington- Don't know? The loss of Meessman could actual create better balance for the team, and Mike T is a good coach, but losing a starter possibly your second best player and double digit scorer isn't usually a good thing, I'm never sold on Washington (even though they seem to do well against NY). I could see Seattle beating or at least having a 50/50 shot against them.

So that is 7 teams that I'm not convinced are a certainty to be better than Seattle. Yes some of them will be, so I'm not completely sold on Seattle in the playoffs anymore, but I still think they can have a record near .500 which would be an improvement and get them there. They could use another post and have to do well at #5. But I certainly don't think things are as dire as you and Zune think.

It is also still really early, I think a majority of the board had Conn in the lottery this time last year.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 02/06/18 2:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Starting a staring rebounder like Paris next to a shot blocker like Stewart, would make more sense then staring Langhorne.
zune69

PostPosted: 02/06/18 5:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Starting a staring rebounder like Paris next to a shot blocker like Stewart, would make more sense then staring Langhorne.

Yeah,like really...is Seattle going to play Paris/KML at the same time off the bench ?

Moves Seattle should consider:

1.Draft Russell,Canada,or Brown.

2.Sign S.Johnson.

3.Sign L.Kizer-Was a near double digit scorer in limited minutes in 2015/2016.

4.Trade KML for a late 1st rd or early 2nd rd pick.

5.Trade Langhorne for a late 1st rd pick or young player.

6.Sign O'Hea.

7.Trade for Tolo.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
The Storm bench still looks terrible. They have Crvendakic, Paris, Quinn, Peterson, KML and soon their #5 pick.

I like Whitcomb and Paris off the bench. I can see them giving us 15 pts off the bench if they (certainly Sami) get decent minutes. It also depends in what kind of shape KML is in. If she can get in the kinda of shape that she was at the start of last season when she came back from overseas then i can see her providing a spark off the bench.

Paris scoring 15 pts is a once or twice phenomenon in 1 season . Ive watched and waited for multiple years , but no . Save your breath my friend !

15 pts of those 2 combined is what i meant. Not per player. Sami averaged 4,5 pts in only 12 minutes per game. I can see that increasing to 7 pts per game if she gets more minutes. Paris averaging 7-8 pts per game in 20 min would be possible. KML averaged 4,6 pts on 45,6% from the field in only 11 minutes and she was out of shape coming off an injury. So yes those 3 will give you atleast 15 pts off the bench.

@ Zune, didnt you say that you thought that the Storm was going to win 20 games with the addition of Paris? And now you say that they will only win 10-12 games. That is a pretty big difference..

Like J-Spoon said, there are multiple teams that i am not convinced of that they are better then the Storm next season:
Fever: Nope
Vegas: Bill will make this team better but the Storm have more talent and should win this matchup when healthy.
Sky: pretty similar. Storm have more talent but always a tough matchup
Mystics: without Meesseman i think the Storm have more upside but lets say 50/50
Liberty: depends on who they are going to add. Id say 50/50. Matchup between Charles and Stewart will depend the outcome

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

@ Zune, didnt you say that you thought that the Storm was going to win 20 games with the addition of Paris? And now you say that they will only win 10-12 games. That is a pretty big difference..

Yeah...umm...I sort of backtracked in the 2018 FA thread.

zune69 wrote:

I spoke too soon.....looking at the current rosters.Unless Seattle can sign S.Johnson,and trade the #5 pick for a post & guard,I just don't see them making the playoffs.....Chi,LV,ATL and Dal will be greatly improved....Seattle just doesn't have enough talent,depth,and size........Too many bad decisions over the last 6 years:

The addition of Paris(as a sarter) will help Stewart stay fresh...But looking at this objectively:

Seattle only won 15 & 16 games the last two seasons despite being relatively healthy...Up till now,Seattle's only addition has been Paris.The #5 pick should help improve the talent level,but not enough to offset the gains that are being made by ATL and LV...Looking at three of the teams that missed the playoffs in 2017...LV has added Swords,Bone,and Young.LV will get the #1 pick(Wilson)And we all know trader Bill isn't done making moves.......Atlanta added Monty and Breland.Angel will make her return.I'm almost certain that Boyette will have a better season than she did in 2017,and lets not forget about Sykes.If Atlanta puts it together,I can see them being a title contender.Chicago will be a wild card.They got off to a slow start last season(players missed gms,experimental system),but finished strong.Faulkner will be making her return,chicago will get two lottery picks,and the lost of Pondexter would be addition by subtraction.Yes,Stewart and Loyd should improve.But ATL,LV,and Chicago also have young players that will improve,and more of them IMO.

Seattle still has time to change my opinion.

BTW:Drafting Deshields or Gabby would be a game changer for Seattle.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/06/18 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

Yeah,like really...is Seattle going to play Paris/KML at the same time off the bench ?

Moves Seattle should consider:

1.Draft Russell,Canada,or Brown.

2.Sign S.Johnson.

3.Sign L.Kizer-Was a near double digit scorer in limited minutes in 2015/2016.

4.Trade KML for a late 1st rd or early 2nd rd pick.

5.Trade Langhorne for a late 1st rd pick or young player.

6.Sign O'Hea.

7.Trade for Tolo.

Zune i like options 1-5 for seattle. STarting Paris will not make this team better nor would starting Paris with KML . This team needs help fast .

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storms post rotation is set with Paris and Natasha Howard coming off the bench. We gave up a 2nd round pick and gave the Lynx the right to switch first round picks with us next season. That last part could be a huge mistake if the Storm miss the playoffs and get a lottery pick next season Confused I dont know how i feel about this. Storm have to make the playoffs now

http://storm.wnba.com/news/seattle-completes-trade-minnesota-acquires-natasha-howard/

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
zune69

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Zune i like options 1-5 for seattle. STarting Paris will not make this team better nor would starting Paris with KML . This team needs help fast .

Disagree...starting Paris means less wear and tear on Stewart.......and Starting Paris with KML would be a defensive nightmare.

Paris should only come off the bench if Seattle drafts Russell.

Last edited by zune69 on 02/07/18 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next year's draft will be pretty juicy. Especially at the top...so yeah, better make the playoffs Storm. Good luck.

PS Wouldn't it be nice if the teams actually got around to updating their rosters?

- Amanda Gorman
zune69

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
The Storms post rotation is set with Paris and Natasha Howard coming off the bench. We gave up a 2nd round pick and gave the Lynx the right to switch first round picks with us next season. That last part could be a huge mistake if the Storm miss the playoffs and get a lottery pick next season Confused I dont know how i feel about this. Storm have to make the playoffs now

http://storm.wnba.com/news/seattle-completes-trade-minnesota-acquires-natasha-howard/

Minnesota has the option of swapping 1st rd picks with Seattle in 2019........Stupid move by Seattle.
(Despite being a big fan of Howard)

Forget missing the playoffs now.Infact,Seattle better get a top 4 seed....What the f**k was D.Hughes thinking ?

zune69

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay....Seattle now has post depth,and a draft pick....signing S.Johnson would be the icing on the cake.

The Storm will win 20+ games

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want us to host a playoff game this year and I am thrilled with getting a player who is dynamic when she's allowed to play. It is worth taking a chance because they are also trying to make it so that it's not that great a pick. Sure, it's a gamble but it is one I'm willing to take. Seeing as I've just spent a week being told that Howard was the future of the Lynx franchise, I'd say others might see Howard's upside.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Okay....Seattle now has post depth,and a draft pick....signing S.Johnson would be the icing on the cake.

Coming off an injury? No. Besides, they need a PG more.

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Are you sure this time?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
I want us to host a playoff game this year and I am thrilled with getting a player who is dynamic when she's allowed to play. It is worth taking a chance because they are also trying to make it so that it's not that great a pick. Sure, it's a gamble but it is one I'm willing to take. Seeing as I've just spent a week being told that Howard was the future of the Lynx franchise, I'd say others might see Howard's upside.

But will she get more minutes with the Storm? When you have Stewart, Langhorne and Paris all playing the 4-5 position that means 26,6 minutes per game. Or do the Storm plan to play her some backup minutes at the SF spot aswell?

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

But will she get more minutes with the Storm? When you have Stewart, Langhorne and Paris all playing the 4-5 position that means 26,6 minutes per game. Or do the Storm plan to play her some backup minutes at the SF spot aswell?

I am curious about that and wonder if Stewart might see time at the 3. I also don't think this is their only trade. Getting Howard really makes Crystal Langhorne look like trade bait.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Langhorne for sure returning to Seattle?

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

She's cored by Seattle.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/07/18 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

She's cored by Seattle.

Ah yeah, I more so meant would she be signed and traded, but you already mentioned that in your post with Michelle.

PostPosted: 02/07/18 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Coming off an injury? No. Besides, they need a PG more.

Seattle can Draft or trade for a PG...The storm desperately need a wing with some size.

sigur3 wrote:

Are you sure this time?

Yeah…..Giving Minnesota the option of swapping 1st rd picks in 2019 tells me that Seattle has another signing or trade up their sleeve....Seattle has no option but to make the playoffs.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/07/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like we've been saying they were coring Langhorne with the intention to trade her since the moon landing. How much are you going to get at this point?

PostPosted: 02/07/18 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I feel like we've been saying they were coring Langhorne with the intention to trade her since the moon landing. How much are you going to get at this point?

Right there with you.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/07/18 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Seattle got robbed. I mean. Howard is a decent enough player but lets face it, the Storm are still going to have a much better position in the 2019 draft than the Lynx, probably handing Minnesota a lottery pick. Howard is NOT worth possibly losing a lottery pick. This is a similar thing to when Atlanta threrw their lottery pick away to Chicago this year for absolutely NOTHING in return.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 6 of 20

Jump to: