Minnesota Lynx 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/06/18 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Randy wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
I have said all along that all a team needed to do was offer a max contract to Howard and dare the Lynx to match it. Wouldn't even need a sign-and-trade. The Lynx gained space yes but they also needed to budget in room for a draft pick and Zandalasini for a full year. I estimated that they would only have about $250k left over. If they used $113k of it on Howard, then that was less than $140k left to get a quality guard and a 12th player. It could be done but the question becomes would it be done. Would you pay a bench player max when Sylvia Fowles doesn't even make that much? It also reduces flexibility for future year free agent signings.

So - they could just go with 11 players couldn't they?

You mean like virtually every other year? Reeve can barely find time to play 8 or 9, so having 12 has never been particularly important for her.

With Pierson, Perkins and Montgomery gone from last year's roster there was plenty of room to pay Howard if they wanted to.

The lower 3 were projects though, and that is still true. And this time they have to factor in Zandalasini's salary. The three lost were the regular bench rotation. Yes, Howard and a guard fit easily. But it's adding Kizer as well that has me wondering.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/18 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess my thorough post that reads like a WNBA article didn’t sink in. It even has a picture of the player I wanted at the bottom of the post (that’s Kizer).

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92607&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=109

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/06/18 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
I don't know how I feel about kizer, she barely played much for the Sun, didn't even get into the game against the Mercury in the playoffs. Or was she injured most of last season?

It's a great pickup.Kizer avg 8.3p/49% in 18 mpg in 2015 and 9.6p/55% in 17 mpg in 2016

What about 2017 ?

PostPosted: 02/06/18 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I guess my thorough post that reads like a WNBA article didn’t sink in. It even has a picture of the player I wanted at the bottom of the post (that’s Kizer).

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=92607&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=109

Actually, it illustrates our differences beautifully. You write a book on an analysis of a months-old article, making sure to take little digs long the way. None of you even see the very clear hint that sigur3 and I both drop that we already knew that Montgomery was leaving. Now, I know you are never going to accept that I am any more that "a notorious Storm fan who acts like an insider." But there's undeniable proof right in front of everyone that we had some sort of insider knowledge (which is different from being an insider. I do not claim to be.) We had it a week before it was announced. I can also say for a fact that Howard has received multiple offers. This does not mean the Lynx will not match, but it is not a foregone conclusion to others in the league that she will which is why the offers were made.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/06/18 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Actually, it illustrates our differences beautifully. You write a book on an analysis of a months-old article, making sure to take little digs long the way. None of you even see the very clear hint that sigur3 and I both drop that we already knew that Montgomery was leaving. Now, I know you are never going to accept that I am any more that "a notorious Storm fan who acts like an insider." But there's undeniable proof right in front of everyone that we had some sort of insider knowledge (which is different from being an insider. I do not claim to be.) We had it a week before it was announced. I can also say for a fact that Howard has received multiple offers. This does not mean the Lynx will not match, but it is not a foregone conclusion to others in the league that she will which is why the offers were made.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 02/06/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
I don't know how I feel about kizer, she barely played much for the Sun, didn't even get into the game against the Mercury in the playoffs. Or was she injured most of last season?

It's a great pickup.Kizer avg 8.3p/49% in 18 mpg in 2015 and 9.6p/55% in 17 mpg in 2016

What about 2017 ?

Wiseone wrote:

Yes she had a back injury that she was recovered from. Did well in China. Is currently in Bosnia with the National Team for 10 days. Has signed to play in Turkey for Fenerbache.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/06/18 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

And Nerd drops the mic and walks away!

Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd didn’t say anything new there. She said Howard got offers. So what? Most people would assume she got offers. I said I expect the Lynx to match the best offer. The whole crux of Nerd’s argument is well they won’t be able to have 12 players. The Lynx haven’t had 12 players for a whole season for past two seasons, and have been very successful doing so. Why would they stray away from a successful formula? And paying a bench player max? I covered that in the “book” too. They were paying Perkins max, so it’s nothing new. She’s not there anymore. Pierson’s not there anymore. And if you knew Montgomery is not going to be there like you claim, that just frees up more capital to pay for Howard.

Now if you had info that Howard doesn’t want to return to the Lynx, that would useful. But that’s not what you brought. You brought failed math and failed logic.

merlina

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Yes. We all understand that you see yourself as very, very important.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

merlina wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

You know, merlina, Shades has been bullying me on this board for years. I have simply had enough of it. I am not LESS important so that I am supposed to shut up and go away. I have a big grin on my face at the moment so you cannot take me down at ALL.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nerd didn’t say anything new there. She said Howard got offers. So what? Most people would assume she got offers. I said I expect the Lynx to match the best offer. The whole crux of Nerd’s argument is well they won’t be able to have 12 players. The Lynx haven’t had 12 players for a whole season for past two seasons, and have been very successful doing so. Why would they stray away from a successful formula? And paying a bench player max? I covered that in the “book” too. They were paying Perkins max, so it’s nothing new. She’s not there anymore. Pierson’s not there anymore. And if you knew Montgomery is not going to be there like you claim, that just frees up more capital to pay for Howard.

Now if you had info that Howard doesn’t want to return to the Lynx, that would useful. But that’s not what you brought. You brought failed math and failed logic.

Dude you can’t bully me like you do nerd2. You have this overwhelming need to think you know more than other people and guess what, you don’t. You are a bully and a parody of an insider who gathers his info from what you read from people that think they know what’s going on. When you get one right you have to post links and shout LOOK AT ME!

Trust me. Nerd2 knows a HELLUVA lot more than she lets on here and definitely more than Shades.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
merlina wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

You know, merlina, Shades has been bullying me on this board for years. I have simply had enough of it. I am not LESS important so that I am supposed to shut up and go away. I have a big grin on my face at the moment so you cannot take me down at ALL.

Preach nerd ! Shades has its good & bad , just learn to read over it i had too . Most of the time though shades just gives his entitled opinion . Only annoying thing is when you start to discredit posters because you feel your post is more important than another. Not saying shades does that all the time though because alot of people have have been that "Bully" so i say keep it coming Shades , rather have your information than not .

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amongst all the strife and confusion over other stuff, may I say that I will miss Perkins? Have always loved her feistiness and she hit a lot of big shots along the way too.

So here's good wishes for her post basketball career! Go Jia!

- Amanda Gorman
Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
merlina wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Preach nerd ! Shades has its good & bad , just learn to read over it i had too . Most of the time though shades just gives his entitled opinion . Only annoying thing is when you start to discredit posters because you feel your post is more important than another. Not saying shades does that all the time though because alot of people have have been that "Bully" so i say keep it coming Shades , rather have your information than not .

You need to understand that's no longer enough. By not directly confronting the bully, you are tacitly enabling that behavior and making it the norm. It also turns me into something I don't want to be as I get frustrated trying to defend myself. Especially given what's coming.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guys, let's stay focused on... uh, the Lynx, that's whose thread this is. (I seriously had to check my browser history because of the personal frustrations taking over the page.) No passive shots, no aggressive shots. I am not in the mood for anyone's bullshit.

(now with spelling variations)
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/06/18 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people here definitely do exude the attitude that their opinions/theories are more important than others. There's no rule against that.
I think most people who post here regularly have a pretty good feel for who tends to know events ahead of their official announcement, who is just trying to put an incomplete collection of pieces together to deduce what is happening, who is just guessing, and who is just wishing.

Speaking not as a moderator, but just as someone with a desire to keep this community active and diverse, I think that throwing around opinions, ideas, wishes, theories, etc. is a good thing. There's not so much fun in purely the facts. There's certainly not so much conversation or drama. My knowledge of the league isn't as good as many others here, so I appreciate most of the different viewpoints I read.

Speaking as a moderator though, this place needs to be an even playing field. Everyone has the right to an opinion. And everyone else is allowed to place as much or as little value in that opinion as they like, based on its poster's track record, or their connections, or how logical it sounds, or what facts they are citing, or whatever other criteria they want to apply.

My aim for the 2018 WNBA season is to open up this board a little more. That means encouraging new members, encouraging shy people to have their say as well, avoiding anyone with reasonable opinions & intentions from being silenced, and having a more inclusive tone in general. Whether I end up with the time & resources & powers to make that possible is yet to be seen, but that's just a heads-up for now. But it means that no one person can be bigger than the community, regardless of how long they've been here, who they know, what they know, or whatever else.

People squabbling here is a fact of life. I was tidying up out the "Yellow River" a few days ago, reading some conversations from up to a decade ago, and wow ... I'd forgotten how off the rails it could get here. I can't and won't stop people from disagreeing with each other and/or disliking each other, and I definitely don't want to limit anyone's passion for the sport or their team, but I can and must do a better job of limiting what impact that has on the boards/community.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK. one last try to inject something meaningful into this. Based on the summitthoops salary DB, Plenette Pierson must have made close to vet minimum in order to fit the salary cap. Yes, they lost Pierson's, Perkins' and Montgomery's salaries. That's $320k. They also got $20k salary cap bump to $973,600 so $340k to play with.

But, they also need to budget $43k for their 1st rounder and $42k for Zandalasini's salary. Add to that natural raises and they lost $90k of that. They now only have $250k.

If they sign Howard at max - $113k - they then have less that $140k to sign a quality rotation guard AND Kizer. Vet minimum is $56,100 so they could do it if both players sign low. But if each wants even $70k they cannot. So, that is my math and logic. They simply cannot sign Kizer AND Howard and have money for a guard.

Now, if they get rid of Fagbenle or Zandalasini they might do it because that is another $42k or so. That is my math and my logic. I am not saying they won't make it work but I am saying they will have to do more. If I could figure out a way to post my spreadsheet, I would.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/06/18 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Howard. Only $137k left
Pierson's and Zandalasini's 2017; Fowles and Brunson's 2018 salary approximate:
Code:
      2017   2018   Difference
1   Jones   $42,600    $43,452    $852
2   Augustus   $108,800    $110,900    $2,100
3   Whalen   $108,800    $110,900    $2,100
4   Fowles   $109,000    $110,080    $1,080
5   Brunson   $110,080    $111,080    $1,000
6   Moore   $111,000    $113,000    $2,000
7   Pick      $43,404    $43,404
8   Fagbenle   $40,470    $42,494    $2,024
9   Zandal.   $5,000    $41,202    $36,202
10   Howard   $57,420    $113,000    $55,580
11   Perkins   $113,500             ($113,500)
.   Montgo.   $90,000               ($90,000)
.   Pierson   $60,000               ($60,000)
              $956,670    $839,512    $136,788

toad455

PostPosted: 02/06/18 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this only leaves them with $137k to bring in another FA? Kizer? Jackson-Jones? Pondexter? S. Johnson? I guess they'll be sticking with 11 players again.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/06/18 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So this only leaves them with $137k to bring in another FA? Kizer? Jackson-Jones? Pondexter? S. Johnson? I guess they'll be sticking with 11 players again.

But we just heard they are bringing in Kizer. That's my point. They cannot have everyone. Kizer would be foolish to take vet min just for a bench rotation with Howard. They MUST have a guard, too.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/06/18 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

a) It's a hypothetical dude - Howard's not officially signed anywhere yet.
b) 137k is more than enough for two players, depending on who they are and what they want.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

b) 137k is more than enough for two players, depending on who they are and what they want.

Good to know they'll have enough Cap space for a veteran guard...

Nerd2

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Good to know they'll have enough Cap space for a veteran guard...

If Cappie or Latta came in at vet min they could max Howard and have $80k left. I just have a really hard time believing they would. Remember that both Perkins and Monty got traded in so they brought their salary with them.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if Howard is traded, notice I said if,

my guess is to Chicago for the #4 pick. If Chicago didn't have two picks they might be a little stingier, but with two picks Chicago can afford it, and beat out any other offer.

Howard can start in Chicago and Minn with two rookie contracts might save enough on cap space to play a 12 person roster.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering how you feel about Megdal, I’m a little surprised you have so much faith in his numbers. I don’t understand why younger players would make more than the senior players. But assuming these numbers are somewhere in the ballpark, there’s no guarantee that Howard will need max to be kept. I think you’re saying they would have $179K to pay Kizer and a rotation guard if they went with 11. So what’s the problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 6 of 26

Jump to: