Whalen retiring....from USA Basketball.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/04/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
You underestimate the role of true PG's and how their leadership can effect a team. Who is going to lead this team? Maya? Charles?

You underestimate the leadership ability of some of the younger PGs

I am? Sims and Gray are not even (the vocal) leaders of their own teams let alone lead a team full of players who are better then them and have more weight on the team and league. Only player that has experience of leading her team is Diggins and this would be her first time with USA in a big tournament and i first have to see how the team will respond to her before thinking that all goes well

The PG needs to be an on the floor leader as far as keeping play moving smoothly, but there is no need for them to be the "vocal leader" of the team as long as another player fills that role. And with players like Nneka and Maya on the team, it will be well served in that area.

Both Gray and Diggens are more than capable of being a floor general.

PostPosted: 02/04/18 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Both Gray and Diggins are more than capable of being a floor general.

Neither have senior-level international experience. As backups, fine.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/04/18 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'd be happy with this line-up for 2018:

PG: Bird/Diggins/CGray
SG: Taurasi/Sims or Loyd
SF: Moore/Delle Donne
PF: Charles/NOgwumike/Stewart
C: Fowles/Griner

Sims is not a SG she is a PG and better defender than Gray, plus Loyd doesn't pass.

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/04/18 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
justintyme wrote:

So? That is really not a necessity for this team. Plus one will get this during the upcoming worlds.

The idea that we need over-the-hill players instead of significantly better younger players just doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: 02/04/18 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me it's a balance between what is best to win right now, vs what is best as preparation for the future. Personally I think it would be wise to keep Bird if she's healthy enough, because losing both her & Whalen at the same time is pretty extreme change. Retaining Bird for a while would smooth the transition and I think that has real value when it's someone of her calibre.

But then if you take a moment to consider who you're going to be playing against, it quickly becomes apparent that you can pick whoever the heck you want because who out there is going to remotely challenge you? And then the politics kick in, because they can, virtually without consequence.

PostPosted: 02/04/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
But then if you take a moment to consider who you're going to be playing against, it quickly becomes apparent that you can pick whoever the heck you want because who out there is going to remotely challenge you? And then the politics kick in, because they can, virtually without consequence.

Probably true, but also probably exactly what they were thinking 12 years ago...

PostPosted: 02/04/18 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Probably true, but also probably exactly what they were thinking 12 years ago...

True, but IMO the gap (between USA & the next best team) is significantly wider today than back then. I also get the impression that the Americans (in particular, but probably true of most countries) care a lot less about the Worlds than the Olympics. Now that there's an extended winning streak maybe the care factor is higher to keep extending it.

PostPosted: 02/04/18 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

The PG needs to be an on the floor leader as far as keeping play moving smoothly, but there is no need for them to be the "vocal leader" of the team as long as another player fills that role. And with players like Nneka and Maya on the team, it will be well served in that area.

Exactly! Bird was the starting point guard in 08, but the vocal leaders of the team were La Leslie, Tina Thompson, and Katie Smith. Not to mention Kara Lawson outplayed Bird for significant stretches during that Olympic run.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/04/18 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
justintyme wrote:

justintyme wrote:
So? That is really not a necessity for this team.

I gotta believe most reasonable people would disagree with this. Those at USAB will definitely disagree.

justintyme wrote:
Plus one will get this during the upcoming worlds.

Maybe they both can... just not as starters.

justintyme wrote:
The idea that we need over-the-hill players instead of significantly better younger players just doesn't make sense.

You’re a fan of the oldest team in the WNBA (at least they were last year). Do you think Whalen should be immediately replaced?

I guess now that Whalen has retired from USAB, “better player” in Team USA is defined by youth over experience.

How old is Tom Brady? The Patriots had Jimmy Garoppolo as a starter quality backup and got rid of him. The Patriots win all the time, but I guess they don’t make sense.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/04/18 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

You’re a fan of the oldest team in the WNBA (at least they were last year). Do you think Whalen should be immediately replaced?

If they could replace her with a player that was younger and better? Hell yeah. I love Whalen, but you got to put together the best team you can.

But as far as I know there are no UFAs that fit that discription.

Quote:
How old is Tom Brady? The Patriots had Jimmy Garoppolo as a starter quality backup and got rid of him. The Patriots win all the time, but I guess they don’t make sense.

Terrible example for your point. Brady went to Kraft and demanded they trade Garoppolo and commit to him for the next few years. Belichick was furious as he saw Jimmy as the future. This will likely bite NE in the butt going forward as Garoppolo becomes a star and Brady regresses.

PostPosted: 02/05/18 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
You underestimate the role of true PG's and how their leadership can effect a team. Who is going to lead this team? Maya? Charles?

You underestimate the leadership ability of some of the younger PGs

I am? Sims and Gray are not even (the vocal) leaders of their own teams let alone lead a team full of players who are better then them and have more weight on the team and league. Only player that has experience of leading her team is Diggins and this would be her first time with USA in a big tournament and i first have to see how the team will respond to her before thinking that all goes well

If we go by that then its maybe even less of a fit because Diggins, Gray and Sims all look first for their own opportunities before involving their teammates while Bird and Whalen are pass first pointguards.

Nneka the vocal leader? She might not even be on the team Rolling Eyes The best players on this team are not really true leaders or have big personalities to keep everybody in check like LLL, Thompson, Smith did in the past.
Maya will lead by example but Charles, Fowles, EDD, Griner, Stewart are no leaders..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 02/05/18 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the one thing that's been the hallmark of the Storm the last few years has been their smooth running offense. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/06/18 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Yeah, the one thing that's been the hallmark of the Storm the last few years has been their smooth running offense. Laughing

Yes lets blame that on Bird Laughing because she decides on the offensive sets that the coaches put in place. The coaches who are now fired or gone btw. We miss Brian Agler Sad

By your logic we should let Angel lead team USA because she makes her teammates so much better Rolling Eyes

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/06/18 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think people really underestimate how players can adapt and change their games for the greater good of USA. Yes, the PG position has adopted a score first, pass second mentality for a while but it's not like it's impossible for these players to change.

PostPosted: 02/06/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes and clearly the ones who can't keep getting dumped by USA Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 02/06/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Yes, the PG position has adopted a score first, pass second mentality for a while but it's not like it's impossible for these players to change.

If you saw Dawn Staley in college you would never have described her as a pass-first player

PostPosted: 02/06/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe she explained that and said she had to change.

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/06/18 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'd be happy with this line-up for 2018:

PG: Bird/Diggins/CGray
SG: Taurasi/Sims or Loyd
SF: Moore/Delle Donne
PF: Charles/NOgwumike/Stewart
C: Fowles/Griner

I'm with you. Barring injuries, this would be an ideal roster. Would say Loyd over Sims at the 2 - and you have the 1 covered here with Gray, Diggins and Bird.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/07/18 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
Different people have different needs, which shouldn’t be established by anyone other than themselves.

Since USA basketball doesn't have the balls to let (MAKE!) the aged move on gracefully, it's left to the players to do the right thing. Whalen did the right thing.

X10,000. Whalen = Class
(Murdle, I really abhor agreeing with you. It's so....disagreeable!)

Vive le sang nouveau! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: