RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND might have just 6 scholarship players vs Duke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/03/18 10:55 pm    ::: ND might have just 6 scholarship players vs Duke Reply Reply with quote

Westbeld is considered "questionable" for the game tomorrow due to a severe black eye from an elbow in the UNC game. It looked really bad rather quickly during the game broadcast.

She didn't practice and is listed as "questionable."

SDHoops

PostPosted: 02/04/18 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a special k word that id say but I was raised a Catholic so I will not say it. Don't cry wolf because that wolf might come to haunt you ten fold..

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/04/18 4:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently, it's going to be a case of two teams beat up through injuries, according to ND Insider:

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/no-notre-dame-may-face-no-duke-without-kathryn-westbeld/article_f867d05a-093b-11e8-a3f5-bbc1fb439777.html

Just like Notre Dame, Duke’s lost a key player for all of this season because of a knee injury that was suffered in the NCAA Tournament last season. That’s Kyra Lambert for the Devils, Brianna Turner for the Irish.

Likewise similar to ND, Duke’s been slammed again this season. Though the Devils can’t match the three players that the Irish have lost to season-ending knee injuries, they did lose heralded freshman point guard Mikayla Boykin for the rest of the winter in early December.

And just like the Irish with Westbeld, the Devils have a starter who’s questionable for Sunday in Haley Gorecki. The sophomore sharpshooter who is averaging 11.5 points sat out Thursday’s 77-59 win over Georgia Tech with a hip injury and is listed as “day to day” in Duke’s pregame media notes.

BTW, I'm trying to figure out what the SDHoops comment meant. Did you mean Karma? Considering that ND has had injury problems at key times quite a bit over the last few years, I don't know where the Karma comes in. And where does the "crying wolf" come in? That has to do with lying about stuff. When has ND lied about injuries?

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 02/04/18 8:54 am    ::: Re: ND might have just 6 scholarship players vs Duke Reply Reply with quote

Call me crazy, but...I've long thought that if one team was down to (say) six scholarship players because of injuries, the opponents should also be limited to six.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/04/18 10:20 am    ::: Re: ND might have just 6 scholarship players vs Duke Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Call me crazy, but...I've long thought that if one team was down to (say) six scholarship players because of injuries, the opponents should also be limited to six.

I would think that would only be truly fair if the opponent caused the injuries.

Besides, it could be argued that would be *less* sportsmanlike, unless you want to limit a team from using their best players. Taking an example from Big East play- Butler's down to seven players. Should that have meant St. John's only played seven? Fine- then there go the already-rare minutes for the back of the rotation. Or did you mean we should have sat our top three?

One of the important things I learned in college is that life isn't fair.

(now with spelling variations)
SDHoops

PostPosted: 02/04/18 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

BTW, I'm trying to figure out what the SDHoops comment meant. Did you mean Karma? Considering that ND has had injury problems at key times quite a bit over the last few years, I don't know where the Karma comes in. And where does the "crying wolf" come in? That has to do with lying about stuff. When has ND lied about injuries?

Yes, karma. They got a rare hardship transfer exception (whatever you want to call it) for Shepard..when there was really no reason. I'm not the only one thinking that, even Staley said some other coaches are good liars to get people waivers. MM sold her soul to YKW and she's been paying for it ever since. [/quote]

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/06/18 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Quote:

Yes, karma. They got a rare hardship transfer exception (whatever you want to call it) for Shepard..when there was really no reason. I'm not the only one thinking that, even Staley said some other coaches are good liars to get people waivers. MM sold her soul to YKW and she's been paying for it ever since.
[/quote]

And ND still won. Duke had a bunch of players on the bench but they were all "not ready for Div.1" post players. As long as ND has five players to put on the floor, they're gonna beat JPM's Duke.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 02/07/18 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Quote:

Yes, karma. They got a rare hardship transfer exception (whatever you want to call it) for Shepard..when there was really no reason. I'm not the only one thinking that, even Staley said some other coaches are good liars to get people waivers. MM sold her soul to YKW and she's been paying for it ever since.

Oh, Jeezus. Rolling Eyes Well, if DAWN said it, then it MUST be true. Laughing

People Postulating Preposterously Presumptive Premises = Pathetic.

I recently had a conversation with an acquaintance who actually works at Notre Dame. He personally knows Muff well. Working AND personal relationship. (Now, he COULD have lied to me, but it's highly unlikely, as I don't give a ratz ass about Jess and her playing time with ND. And he's a journalist, so lying isn't really his *thing*)

He told me that it was HE who actually suggested to Muffet that she try the waiver option for Shepard. Muff hadn't even thought of it as a possibility, but she took his advice: she asked, and voila! This conspiracy/lying theory baloney is tired. It happened. Leticia Romero, etc. It will happen again.

"Hating"....even directed at ND or Muff....to the point of malicious slandering, has its own karmic reward. Cool

PostPosted: 02/07/18 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Quote:

Because, of course, Staley has no reason to be salty at anyone who got a waiver this season.

I mean, yes, from what we currently know, it seems odd that Shepard got a waiver. But from my own experience as a fan of a team that tends to pick up transfers, there's always the chance that there's something we don't know and hasn't been made public affected the decision-making.

(now with spelling variations)
allenleavell

PostPosted: 02/07/18 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only have a problem with NCAAA is that the kids given waiver clearly have gotten a lawyers involved. For example Grace Goodheart ,Chatrice White and Jessica Sherperd were all granted the waiver. Goodheart dad is a lawyer. But it is strange 3 white kids were all granted .It probably not about race but it a class issue for sure.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/07/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
I only have a problem with NCAAA is that the kids given waiver clearly have gotten a lawyers involved. For example Grace Goodheart ,Chatrice White and Jessica Sherperd were all granted the waiver. Goodheart dad is a lawyer. But it is strange 3 white kids were all granted .It probably not about race but it a class issue for sure.

If you lawyer up, the NCAA is looking at spending $50,000 or more to defend its position -- and a few of those cases and a budget line is suddenly way out of whack.

At the high school level, this is even more compelling. High school associations do not have the resources to go to court on a regular basis, and simply rolling over is usually the best solution.

PostPosted: 02/07/18 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:

You might be on to something. White seemed to have a fair case. She left right away after coaching turmoil. Shepard’s case is unexplainable. There should be more transparency in this process. It’s unfair for some to have an advantage like that.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/07/18 1:49 pm    ::: Re: ND might have just 6 scholarship players vs Duke Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

I would think that would only be truly fair if the opponent caused the injuries.

Besides, it could be argued that would be *less* sportsmanlike, unless you want to limit a team from using their best players. Taking an example from Big East play- Butler's down to seven players. Should that have meant St. John's only played seven? Fine- then there go the already-rare minutes for the back of the rotation. Or did you mean we should have sat our top three?

One of the important things I learned in college is that life isn't fair.

I recently saw a HS JV game in which one team was reduced to 4 players and the other team voluntarily played only 4 against them. Of course at that level, there isn't any of the ramifications for losing but I thought it was pretty sporting of them. At college level though I wouldn't expect that. Sometimes, as Queenie says, fairness doesn't enter into the equation. Life, and sport, is what it is and you make the best of what you have.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/07/18 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has it dawned on anyone that, as on most issues, WBB is not driving the bus on the transfer issue? These comments pretend that the universe of granted waivers is THREE and that because ONE woman's father was a lawyer, that must be the explanation. Are you people serious?

There have been literally hundreds of waivers granted in football and MBB, and no, they're not all white, and no, they don't all have lawyers, and yes, everyone complains that the outcomes are arbitrary and inconsistent.

But pretending that what happens in WBB explains anything is a joke.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/07/18 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:

Two words for you. Leticia Romero.

PostPosted: 02/08/18 3:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
allenleavell wrote:

You might be on to something. White seemed to have a fair case. She left right away after coaching turmoil. Shepard’s case is unexplainable. There should be more transparency in this process. It’s unfair for some to have an advantage like that.

So what you are saying is that if there is a coaching change, transfers should be available immediately to anyone wanting to leave. However, if a player decides to give the coach a chance, but then realizes that it isn't working, that they don't get the same consideration.

What do you think that will do to programs with coaching changes? Players who might be on the fence will see that their options won't be as good if they give the coach a chance. Think that will make players more likely to give the new coach a chance?

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/08/18 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Quote:

[/quote]

Um, what is YKW? You keep using initials that aren't obvious. It actually took me a while to come up with Karma, since the way you stated it, it sounded like you were implying a curse word and I couldn't figure out a curse word that started with "K."

Basically, McGraw found out that she could petition for the eligibility. Are you really naive enough to think that pretty much any other coach wouldn't do so in that situation? And it wasn't exactly a given. The NCAA could have said "No."

If you are going to attack anyone for this, attack the NCAA. They're the ones who made the decision. McGraw just asked if it was possible. They said "OK." If it was the clear rubber stamp that you seem to imply, the decision wouldn't have come the day of ND's exhibition. ND would have known about it weeks before.

BTW, isn't Staley trying to get a waiver? Kind of hypocritical of you to use her to attack McGraw for doing something that Staley herself is now trying to do.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/08/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
Quote:

Um, what is YKW? You keep using initials that aren't obvious. It actually took me a while to come up with Karma, since the way you stated it, it sounded like you were implying a curse word and I couldn't figure out a curse word that started with "K."

Basically, McGraw found out that she could petition for the eligibility. Are you really naive enough to think that pretty much any other coach wouldn't do so in that situation? And it wasn't exactly a given. The NCAA could have said "No."

If you are going to attack anyone for this, attack the NCAA. They're the ones who made the decision. McGraw just asked if it was possible. They said "OK." If it was the clear rubber stamp that you seem to imply, the decision wouldn't have come the day of ND's exhibition. ND would have known about it weeks before.

BTW, isn't Staley trying to get a waiver? Kind of hypocritical of you to use her to attack McGraw for doing something that Staley herself is now trying to do.[/quote]

I think it stands for "You Know Who". How Harry Potter-ish. Are we in middle school, or just trying to be cute? As for Staley's waiver, the NCAA said NO. It was Cooper, and I didn't figure she'd get it. Didn't think she should have, either, considering the circumstances of Cooper's departure from UT, but that's water over the dam now.

PostPosted: 02/10/18 3:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

I think it stands for "You Know Who". How Harry Potter-ish. Are we in middle school, or just trying to be cute? As for Staley's waiver, the NCAA said NO. It was Cooper, and I didn't figure she'd get it. Didn't think she should have, either, considering the circumstances of Cooper's departure from UT, but that's water over the dam now.

I don't know what kind of weird brand of Catholicism the poster was raised in. Not wanting to use the word "Karma?" Not wanting say "sold her soul to the devil?"

Those kinds of things sound more evangelical than Catholic to me, and I've known quite a few Catholics of various types. Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/14/18 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know that younger siblings can often try to do what their older siblings are doing, but this is a bit ridiculous... Wink

https://twitter.com/kfhs_south/status/963071270228242433

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: